Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals 06:41 - Feb 28 with 7652 viewsDr_Parnassus

How many did we have? Any guesses out there?

I’ll save you the energy.

None. Zero. Zilch.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 18:07 - Mar 1 with 1596 viewsOverDover

Graphic is interesting. However, didn’t Whitaker have a shot from inside the penalty box saved by the Rotherham keeper in the first half from a through ball by Piroe.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:06 - Mar 1 with 1569 viewsKeithHaynes

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 18:07 - Mar 1 by OverDover

Graphic is interesting. However, didn’t Whitaker have a shot from inside the penalty box saved by the Rotherham keeper in the first half from a through ball by Piroe.

12.5 yards out 😉😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:10 - Mar 1 with 1554 viewsOverDover

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:06 - Mar 1 by KeithHaynes

12.5 yards out 😉😂

Must have had a pinch of salt in my eye when viewing.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:14 - Mar 1 with 1548 viewsploppy

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:06 - Mar 1 by KeithHaynes

12.5 yards out 😉😂

We need to see the "touches within a 13 yard radius" map. Not sure why 12 yards is significant.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:15 - Mar 1 with 1544 viewsKeithHaynes

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:14 - Mar 1 by ploppy

We need to see the "touches within a 13 yard radius" map. Not sure why 12 yards is significant.

It’s 2x6 💁🏻‍♀️

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:44 - Mar 1 with 1505 viewsPawelAbbott

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 22:30 - Feb 28 by Boundy

Cusack was dealt a bad hand whereas Martin ?

Cusack had nothing to spend at all. He had to rebuild most of the squad based on nothing.
Martin has spent millions. We paid over £1m for the centre back he wanted. The defence is awful. Its made up of two centre backs he signed and a keeper he went all out to sign.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 20:15 - Mar 1 with 1486 viewsonehunglow

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:44 - Mar 1 by PawelAbbott

Cusack had nothing to spend at all. He had to rebuild most of the squad based on nothing.
Martin has spent millions. We paid over £1m for the centre back he wanted. The defence is awful. Its made up of two centre backs he signed and a keeper he went all out to sign.

“ a keeper”.
He d be better off as a full time greenkeeper on a municipal golf course

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:32 - Mar 1 with 1467 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 18:07 - Mar 1 by OverDover

A penalty box is 18 yards. I think this is accurate to within 3 feet, so at best he was in line with the penalty spot but diagonal angle making it further than a straight line distance. 13 yard effort would be my estimate.

Login to get fewer ads

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:39 - Mar 1 with 1464 viewsOverDover

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:32 - Mar 1 by Dr_Parnassus

A penalty box is 18 yards. I think this is accurate to within 3 feet, so at best he was in line with the penalty spot but diagonal angle making it further than a straight line distance. 13 yard effort would be my estimate.

Where was that dot on your original graphic?

Well within 12 yards by my estimation but then again you are always right.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:50 - Mar 1 with 1442 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:39 - Mar 1 by OverDover

Where was that dot on your original graphic?

Well within 12 yards by my estimation but then again you are always right.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 17:51 - Mar 3 with 1298 viewsSullutaCreturned

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 19:14 - Mar 1 by ploppy

I think 12 yards is significant because its the closest we got to the oppos goal with the ball.

How many other clubs haven't managed a touch on the ball within 12 yards of the target? Out of 91 clubs I would put a fiver on none, we are probably the only one. If somebody can prove me wrong it's a fiver to Keith's charity.

Cardiff have the worst attack in our division and I bet even they have managed sevral touches in there.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 22:33 - Mar 3 with 1227 viewsploppy

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 17:51 - Mar 3 by SullutaCreturned

I think 12 yards is significant because its the closest we got to the oppos goal with the ball.

How many other clubs haven't managed a touch on the ball within 12 yards of the target? Out of 91 clubs I would put a fiver on none, we are probably the only one. If somebody can prove me wrong it's a fiver to Keith's charity.

Cardiff have the worst attack in our division and I bet even they have managed sevral touches in there.

There's nothing magic about 12 yards though. Do touches within 12 yards result in improved xG or something? If we'd had a touch 11 yards from goal, would the question have been "how many touches within 11 yards of the opposition goal"?
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:50 - Mar 3 with 1205 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 22:33 - Mar 3 by ploppy

There's nothing magic about 12 yards though. Do touches within 12 yards result in improved xG or something? If we'd had a touch 11 yards from goal, would the question have been "how many touches within 11 yards of the opposition goal"?

Of course, there is a direct correlation to proximity to goal in relation to xG.

If you are having most of your efforts from outside the box, the chances of you scoring are less than having most of your efforts from 8 yards out.

12 yards was the number used because that’s as close as we got. You are right, if that was 11 then I would have used 11 - to demonstrate the same point. The exact number isn’t the important part, the important part is the conclusion to that data, and whether it’s 11 or 12 is irrelevant to the fact that we are not getting close enough to the opponents danger zones often enough.

To not touch the ball in the 6 yard area for 6 games is shocking. It’s no coincidence that the last time we did so, we scored.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:53 - Mar 3 with 1204 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 17:51 - Mar 3 by SullutaCreturned

Correct.

As for Cardiff, happy to oblige. This was their last home game.

No surprise, they won.

Now again, compare that to ours without the 12 yard square for a fair visual contrast:

Then you can see the issue leading from the heat map.

This is all inter-connected.

So any misdirection about luck, not taking of chances, not having the right players - it’s nonsense. The system is broken, although “broken” is an inaccurate term as it has never been whole to start with, and won’t be.

Our possession is in our own danger area, not theirs - yet we wonder why we ship so many goals. Opponents absolutely salivate at the prospect of playing us, but happily pump our tyres by telling us how wonderful we are.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2023 0:49]

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 09:48 - Mar 4 with 1139 viewsSullutaCreturned

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:53 - Mar 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Correct.

As for Cardiff, happy to oblige. This was their last home game.

No surprise, they won.

Now again, compare that to ours without the 12 yard square for a fair visual contrast:

Then you can see the issue leading from the heat map.

This is all inter-connected.

So any misdirection about luck, not taking of chances, not having the right players - it’s nonsense. The system is broken, although “broken” is an inaccurate term as it has never been whole to start with, and won’t be.

Our possession is in our own danger area, not theirs - yet we wonder why we ship so many goals. Opponents absolutely salivate at the prospect of playing us, but happily pump our tyres by telling us how wonderful we are.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2023 0:49]

I totally agree, they "pump our tyres" and the deluded Martin thinks he's dong a brilliant job. We continue to play suicidal passes in our own penlty area giving away numerous very good chances meanwhile we rarely get inside the oppo penalty area with the ball; we don't rack up a good xG score because the chances we create are from longer shots.

Now we have scored a good amount of goals, we have just conceded a silly amount. Imagine where we might be if we weren't so generous in defence and actually got the ball into the oppo 6 yard box (or even just closer than 12 yards in) with the ball and had a go?

That comes back to my belief that we have a good enough team to be challenging for the play offs IF we were managed properly.

I was was willing to give Martin a chance in the beginning. I defended him and indeed argued with Dr P about giving him some time but we are 18 months in and nothing has improved, in fact things have gotten worse whatever Martin tries to say.

Enough is very definitely enough!
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 12:45 - Mar 4 with 1097 viewsploppy

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:50 - Mar 3 by Dr_Parnassus

Of course, there is a direct correlation to proximity to goal in relation to xG.

If you are having most of your efforts from outside the box, the chances of you scoring are less than having most of your efforts from 8 yards out.

12 yards was the number used because that’s as close as we got. You are right, if that was 11 then I would have used 11 - to demonstrate the same point. The exact number isn’t the important part, the important part is the conclusion to that data, and whether it’s 11 or 12 is irrelevant to the fact that we are not getting close enough to the opponents danger zones often enough.

To not touch the ball in the 6 yard area for 6 games is shocking. It’s no coincidence that the last time we did so, we scored.

My understanding is that different models calculate xG in different ways. Whichever model it is though, as an extreme example - a player touching the ball 12 yards from goal, with his back to goal and on the byline is not going to contribute much xG. There's more to it than just proximity to goal.
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 13:31 - Mar 4 with 1084 viewsSullutaCreturned

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 12:45 - Mar 4 by ploppy

My understanding is that different models calculate xG in different ways. Whichever model it is though, as an extreme example - a player touching the ball 12 yards from goal, with his back to goal and on the byline is not going to contribute much xG. There's more to it than just proximity to goal.

And a player with his back to goal 6 yards out gets a bigger xG than the player 12 yards out, presumably.

Though I have seen a backheeled goal from 6 yards but never from 12!
Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 18:31 - Mar 4 with 1017 viewsReslovenSwan1

I am no coach but grew up watching Toshack, Latchford, Scotland Trundle, Bony, Llorente, Abraham.

Presumably you will get more touches in the 12 yard goal with an out and out "target man" like a Llorente for example. A good physical target man with good control would boss the 12 yard zone inviting a challenge and the defender would be dared to make a challenge and risk a penalty.

Today Keith pointed out how useless Piroe is with his head and Cullen is not much better. I have seen him decline to put his head on the ball more than once onto inviting crosses.

Cardiff signed a free agent in 6 ft 3in Wickham as a free hit and it is paying dividends. No philosophical issues to wrestle with. What do i know.?
[Post edited 4 Mar 2023 18:32]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:33 - Mar 4 with 955 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 12:45 - Mar 4 by ploppy

What point are you making?

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:35 - Mar 4 with 954 viewsSTID2017

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 18:31 - Mar 4 by ReslovenSwan1

I am no coach but grew up watching Toshack, Latchford, Scotland Trundle, Bony, Llorente, Abraham.

Presumably you will get more touches in the 12 yard goal with an out and out "target man" like a Llorente for example. A good physical target man with good control would boss the 12 yard zone inviting a challenge and the defender would be dared to make a challenge and risk a penalty.

Today Keith pointed out how useless Piroe is with his head and Cullen is not much better. I have seen him decline to put his head on the ball more than once onto inviting crosses.

Cardiff signed a free agent in 6 ft 3in Wickham as a free hit and it is paying dividends. No philosophical issues to wrestle with. What do i know.?
[Post edited 4 Mar 2023 18:32]

Our record last 10 games W3 D2 L5
Cardiff last 10 W3 D1 L6
So paying dividends?
Not seeing that ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:39 - Mar 4 with 910 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 21:35 - Mar 4 by STID2017

Our record last 10 games W3 D2 L5
Cardiff last 10 W3 D1 L6
So paying dividends?
Not seeing that ?

Strange way to analyse the point he made. He specifically said about Wickham.

Wickham has only played the last 4 games.

Won 3
lost 1

9 points from 12

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:53 - Mar 4 with 904 viewsSTID2017

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:39 - Mar 4 by Dr_Parnassus

Strange way to analyse the point he made. He specifically said about Wickham.

Wickham has only played the last 4 games.

Won 3
lost 1

9 points from 12

I would suggest that Cardiff's improvement has more to do with their new
manager ?
4 wins and 4 defeats since he was appointed.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 00:01 - Mar 5 with 902 viewsDr_Parnassus

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 23:53 - Mar 4 by STID2017

I would suggest that Cardiff's improvement has more to do with their new
manager ?
4 wins and 4 defeats since he was appointed.

You can suggest it if you like.

But on the point Resolven made regarding the impact of Wickham. You can’t take the last 10 when he’s only played in the last 4.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 00:02 - Mar 5 with 901 viewsDr_Parnassus

Anyway.

Now 7 games without a touch in the 6 yard box. I’d be stunned if we have ever had a streak like that in our history.

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 00:11 - Mar 5 with 884 viewsSTID2017

Touches within a 12 yard radius of the opposition goals on 00:01 - Mar 5 by Dr_Parnassus

You can suggest it if you like.

But on the point Resolven made regarding the impact of Wickham. You can’t take the last 10 when he’s only played in the last 4.

My opinion same as it your opinion.
Wickham has contributed no goals, and just one assist in his four games.
So hardly the catalyst for Cardiff's improvement.
BTW as you like to be so accurate, the poster's username is Resloven not Resolven.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024