Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1986 and The Game That Never Was 00:11 - Feb 28 with 6876 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not for the squeamish, but and you may despair of Smith even more than before, but interesting nonetheless...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/feb/27/the-forgotten-story-of-oxford-

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 16:58 - Feb 28 with 1649 viewspaulparker

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 14:08 - Feb 28 by Lblock

PP... I must've been literally feet away from you.
That flagpole incident still sticks in my mind as it happened about 10 foot to the right of where we were all standing.
The only positive to come out of that day was a mate of mine actually saving my life outside the match afterwards, I was drunk (even at that tender age) and hadn't looked as I crossed the road, he held me back and the wing mirror of the bus caressed my mane of hair that i had back then.

At east OBZ exercised the Wembley demons in a small matter of the richest game in the world many, many, many years later

That flag pole incident always sticks in my head I missed the goal as I was watching the off
Btw does anyone recall the huge ruck against forest in the ER the night of the floodlights going ?
I think we took 40k that day , QPR ski & flat caps everywhere
Where I was sitting had the huge banner "QPR fantastic on plastic, class on grass"
The funny thing was I made my grandad drive to Uxbridge to my mates house on the morning of the game as I had left my lucky QPR ski hat there and I couldn't go to the game without it
When we won in the playoffs I remember standing by Wembley way just watching all the Rangers Walk past taking it all in when 2 of my dads mate walk past who I hadn't seen since 86 , we all remembered each other 30 years on , she'd a tear had a hug and I knew we would win

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 19:26 - Feb 28 with 1566 viewsDoughnut

86 is a myth...a rumour....it never happened!
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 19:58 - Feb 28 with 1532 viewsBoston

Walked! Strewth, some of us had to fly from New York for that bollox. Still, all in the past, followed Oxford Uniteds tour over here a few years ago. They played a handful of games in New England, had a great laugh with their boys, even got interviewed on their match broadcast, of course every conversation started with 1986.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 21:47 - Feb 28 with 1463 viewsCiderwithRsie

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 13:48 - Feb 28 by loftboy

Thank god for that, I told stories about the oxford fan getting a flagpole. Rammed in his head for years, no.one ever believes me,was a few yards to the left of it.
Worst thing about Jim smith was the week or so before,we played oxford in the league at the manor, both Gavins made their debuts and flash walker scored a rare goal in a3-3 draw,anyhow smith came out the tunnel with a yellow hanky in his top pocket on view and waved at three sides of the ground ignoring the away end,iwanted him sacked there and then, I reckon he lost us that final.

" I reckon he lost us that final."

Agreed. Johnny Byrne's comment pretty much proves it - it was Smith's job to get the team up for it and quite clearly he didn't, and judging from his comments, didn't even want to. Virtually a case of sabotage.

Leaving that aside, he never impressed me as manager. Better than Mullery, but who wasn't? Noticeable how much more entertaining we were under Trevor Francis, Don Howe and Gerry Francis after he left and of course under Venables before him.

I'm trying to remember who was assistant/coach in 1987-8 when we signed Paul Parker, played the sweeper, and were really good. Was Don Howe with us yet? Don't think so, but in my memory I credit the change of formation to the assistant rather than Smith, maybe unfairly.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 22:01 - Feb 28 with 1457 viewsthame_hoops

Always remember as an 8 yr old heading back with my dad on the old A40 seeing all the Oxford cars waving flags
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 22:03 - Feb 28 with 1447 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 21:47 - Feb 28 by CiderwithRsie

" I reckon he lost us that final."

Agreed. Johnny Byrne's comment pretty much proves it - it was Smith's job to get the team up for it and quite clearly he didn't, and judging from his comments, didn't even want to. Virtually a case of sabotage.

Leaving that aside, he never impressed me as manager. Better than Mullery, but who wasn't? Noticeable how much more entertaining we were under Trevor Francis, Don Howe and Gerry Francis after he left and of course under Venables before him.

I'm trying to remember who was assistant/coach in 1987-8 when we signed Paul Parker, played the sweeper, and were really good. Was Don Howe with us yet? Don't think so, but in my memory I credit the change of formation to the assistant rather than Smith, maybe unfairly.

Shreeves, and you're right - it was his idea.

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 22:11 - Feb 28 with 1433 viewsCiderwithRsie

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 22:03 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Shreeves, and you're right - it was his idea.

Ah, thanks Brian, of course it was, glad to be reminded; he did a good job for us.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:12 - Feb 29 with 1376 viewsdoogi55

oh god recurring nightmare has started again i have never felt so disappointed after a game, we got beat 3 2 at narwich and lost the league at least i knew we gave it all after that ,that game words still fail me
Login to get fewer ads

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:40 - Feb 29 with 1364 viewsToast_R

"QPR didn't turn up". As sure as night following day, some things will never change.

I think we should rally Clive to do a Loftforwords mock match report of this game in his unique style.
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:48 - Feb 29 with 1359 viewsBrianMcCarthy

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:40 - Feb 29 by Toast_R

"QPR didn't turn up". As sure as night following day, some things will never change.

I think we should rally Clive to do a Loftforwords mock match report of this game in his unique style.

It would have to work in my walk home to Kenton with my Dad. The miserable hoor moaned all the way home - AT ME. "Don't know why you dragged me down there, told you we'd lose, always the same..." As is if it was my fault. As if 18-month old me dragged 28-year old him down to Rangers in 1972. As if before I was born I willed him into supporting Rangers.

The fuggin' pain of that walk home....

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 09:48 - Feb 29 with 1359 viewsMonahoop

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 19:26 - Feb 28 by Doughnut

86 is a myth...a rumour....it never happened!

Unfortunately it did. A total disaster of a game from an R's perspective. I was confident of a win seeing as the club came into this on a nice winning streak, only to witness a bunch of hooped players with feet of clay.
As for Smith, the club didn't do too badly under him on the field, but I never liked him. He was Oxford through and through and made no bones about it. After that debacle at Wembley, I was certain of a conspiracy involving his old charges to win one over his current charges, us.
Last seasons FA cup final between Arsenal and Villa got me thinking about that game then. I couldn't help thinking Villa were like us, clueless, statuesque and subsequently out played in all departments. It happens I suppose, just a shame it happened to us on that occasion in '86.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:11 - Feb 29 with 1313 viewsfrancisbowles

Well I enjoyed this weekend but this thread has brought me back to the reality of being an R. Thanks Brian.....! Hopefully, this down is temporary and we will bring back the joy for the rest of the season................, yeah!

I can remember the run to get there, was at Chelsea etc and I went to Wembley with my best mate from childhood who happened to be a scummer. Most despairing feeling ever at and after a game. I was totally sober but can't remember anything about it apart from leaving 15 mins or so before the end , which I have never done since and had only done once before when 3-0 done to Plymouth at home in the league cup around 1974.

I think everyone fans , media etc. had us turning up to collect the cup and it seemed to have got through to the players. Oxford came with a point to prove, raised their game , took their chances and found the opposition hadn't turned up after all!
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:27 - Feb 29 with 1307 viewsWokingR

Was there with a group of 4 of us from college as was 17 at the time.
Remember thinking I was the dogs driving up there in my Morris Marina.
That day pretty much set the standard for being a Rangers fan
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:38 - Feb 29 with 1304 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I'm sick to the back teeth of having to remind people that the final was a two legged affair against Liverpool. I know, I was there at both games and we won 3-2 on aggregate.

The exhibition game that took place on 20 April 1986 was moved to Wembley at the behest of Cap'n Bob Maxwell and was the pre-cursor to what is now called, the Community Shield. Maxwell was against the then Charity Shield and so he held his own match as it were and as we had won the Milk Cup, we were invited as the then, most currently decorated team in England...having won the Milk Cup over two legs against Liverpool.

For the avoidance of any doubt, and I do want to make this quite clear, QPR won the 1986 Milk Cup in a two-legged final against Liverpool. If we have a copy of that second leg at Anfield, the camera panned into the away end and moi was spotted at what was definitely, the second leg of the two legged Milk Cup final.

Capeesh? Let's move on...

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:40 - Feb 29 with 1301 viewsMaggsinho

Terrible day, I can still remember the mocking I got at school the next day and that was just from the teachers.

Wasn't there a story last year that the players were given sleeping pills the night before but the dose was wrong leaving them knocked out for the game?
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:51 - Feb 29 with 1150 viewsfrancisbowles

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:38 - Feb 29 by PlanetHonneywood

I'm sick to the back teeth of having to remind people that the final was a two legged affair against Liverpool. I know, I was there at both games and we won 3-2 on aggregate.

The exhibition game that took place on 20 April 1986 was moved to Wembley at the behest of Cap'n Bob Maxwell and was the pre-cursor to what is now called, the Community Shield. Maxwell was against the then Charity Shield and so he held his own match as it were and as we had won the Milk Cup, we were invited as the then, most currently decorated team in England...having won the Milk Cup over two legs against Liverpool.

For the avoidance of any doubt, and I do want to make this quite clear, QPR won the 1986 Milk Cup in a two-legged final against Liverpool. If we have a copy of that second leg at Anfield, the camera panned into the away end and moi was spotted at what was definitely, the second leg of the two legged Milk Cup final.

Capeesh? Let's move on...

No doubt holding up one of those stiff silver paper replicas; so prominent at the Bridge of Sighs!
1986 and The Game That Never Was on 16:22 - Feb 29 with 1090 viewsMonahoop

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 11:40 - Feb 29 by Maggsinho

Terrible day, I can still remember the mocking I got at school the next day and that was just from the teachers.

Wasn't there a story last year that the players were given sleeping pills the night before but the dose was wrong leaving them knocked out for the game?

There you are! Re my last post on this subject. I knew that bald headed, no good, sneak fiend Smith, had been up to something that weekend. Bloody sabotage!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

1986 and The Game That Never Was on 17:48 - Feb 29 with 1050 viewsHendonHoop

One of the worst sporting days for me ever. The best part of that day for me was going for a few jars of Fullers ESB later in the evening in the Castle pub at Harrow-on -the Hill and then had a brilliant Chicken Rogan Ghost at the now sadly shut down Madhumita Indian Restaurant in Kingsbury Road. The rest of that day is best forgotten.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024