Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice - having a 'mare 06:59 - Mar 22 with 9997 viewsKonk

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/21/declan-rice-apologises-ira-soci

“I am aware a poorly expressed comment I made when I was a junior player has been circulated on social media,” said Rice, who was named Ireland’s young player of the year last week. “I recognise now that my attempt to show support for my teammates at the time could be negatively interpreted. While my naive words were not meant to be a political opinion and do not represent who I am, I sincerely apologise for any offence caused.”

I love this bit - "my attempt to show support for my teammates at the time could be negatively interpreted". Good luck with that one son. I know the FA and his agents will probably get him to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, re-point the Derry walls, undertake a black cab 'Troubles' tour of Belfast and release a dozen doves into Sammy Wilson's back garden, but I just can't see this going down very well with the England support or public. Given Andy Murray still gets dogs abuse for joking about a Paraguay shirt in about 1952, poor old Declan should prepare himself for the worse.

This is why you shouldn't be allowed on Twitter until you're 65 - and only then when accompanied by a panel of grown-ups and a lawyer.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 17:26 - Mar 22 with 2251 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Glad to see most people on here either consider it stupid comment at worst and a nothing comment at best. Sensible.

I'd just like to point out that I consider raking this shit up a cnt's trick and is more evidence of the MSM's sneering attitude toward 'normal (ie fallable)' people who make it into the public eye after previously living an attention free life. I wish this kind of scrutiny was applied to corporate lobbyists.

Investigative journalism likes to defend itself to the critics with the 'Public interest' card which is fine and a noble cause. But how are the comments of a uncapped 16YO YTS of any relevance to the public 8 years later? I'm sure even National treasures like David Attenborough have said unsavory things prior to the invention of social media.

I'm gonna support the guy even more now.

Don't Buy The Sun (or any other newspaper)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 17:28]
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 19:57 - Mar 22 with 2172 viewsmartiyatsia

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 16:59 - Mar 22 by PunteR

See this is the problem mate. He was born in Kingston thats just down the road from where i was born. The lad is English born and bred.
I dont know anything about him as a player but if he was any good then once again the media have potentially destroyed an English player's career and possibly harming the team in the process.
Oh and of course stirred up former bad feelings of the troubles that went on.
Very responsible journalism by England's media. Well done to them.

I love this bit - "my attempt to show support for my teammates at the time could be negatively interpreted". Good luck with that one son. I know the FA and his agents will probably get him to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, re-point the Derry walls, undertake a black cab 'Troubles' tour of Belfast and release a dozen doves into Sammy Wilson's back garden, but I just can't see this going down very well with the England support or public. Given Andy Murray still gets dogs abuse for joking about a Paraguay shirt in about 1952, poor old Declan should prepare himself for the worse.
https://filezilla.software/ https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/ https://downloader.vip/rufus/
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 20:12]
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 20:03 - Mar 22 with 2164 viewsdistortR

i get all the points raised and agree in many ways, particularly about Rice's age when he made the comments and the morals of our loathsome press.
But............................
Still, I don't like eric dier.
Maybe my problem is a broader one with holding midfielders who play for England but could play for a variety of national sides!
The rules that allowed Rice to change affiliations at this stage are a farce, anyway.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:47 - Mar 23 with 2034 viewssmegma

I am more concerned with the fact he has already played for another country. It's an utter nonsense this is allowed. I remember a few years ago, a good friend and fellow R was working for the Republics FA as a scout. He noticed a certain Villa defender had an Irish spelt first name. So he converted a player who had represented England at different age levels over 15 times over about a 3 year period into an Irishman. I believe Ciaran Clark now plays regularly for the Irish first team. It's an utter nonsense and isn't a new phenomenon. A Uruguay player that appeared in the first ever World Cup Final in Uruguay 1930 represented Italy in the World Cup 4 years later. Then there's Ferenc Puskas and Alfredo di Stefano of course.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:44 - Mar 23 with 1925 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:47 - Mar 23 by smegma

I am more concerned with the fact he has already played for another country. It's an utter nonsense this is allowed. I remember a few years ago, a good friend and fellow R was working for the Republics FA as a scout. He noticed a certain Villa defender had an Irish spelt first name. So he converted a player who had represented England at different age levels over 15 times over about a 3 year period into an Irishman. I believe Ciaran Clark now plays regularly for the Irish first team. It's an utter nonsense and isn't a new phenomenon. A Uruguay player that appeared in the first ever World Cup Final in Uruguay 1930 represented Italy in the World Cup 4 years later. Then there's Ferenc Puskas and Alfredo di Stefano of course.

I agree.

Ireland have been the worst culprits of this rent-a-national-hero nonsense. Both they (and England) should be a lot stricter on who they give caps to. They should have ethics and a bit of self-respect, not whore themselves around.

I've found the whole Declan Rice thing highly amusing - first the outrage among some in Ireland about a player choosing to play for another Country when our greatest successes were partly built on such players, then Rice getting an FAI award, and now England being embarrassed by the player they've decided to bat their eyelashes at. It's all glorious.

If distortR would set it up, the FA and FAI should meet in the Isle of Man, compare notes, and agree that neither Country would ever play any of these shallow clowns - Grealish, Rice, Ray Houghton, any of them.

I might get a game then.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:50 - Mar 23 with 1922 viewsHayesender

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:44 - Mar 23 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree.

Ireland have been the worst culprits of this rent-a-national-hero nonsense. Both they (and England) should be a lot stricter on who they give caps to. They should have ethics and a bit of self-respect, not whore themselves around.

I've found the whole Declan Rice thing highly amusing - first the outrage among some in Ireland about a player choosing to play for another Country when our greatest successes were partly built on such players, then Rice getting an FAI award, and now England being embarrassed by the player they've decided to bat their eyelashes at. It's all glorious.

If distortR would set it up, the FA and FAI should meet in the Isle of Man, compare notes, and agree that neither Country would ever play any of these shallow clowns - Grealish, Rice, Ray Houghton, any of them.

I might get a game then.

As ridiculous as it is, it's still not as bad as the England United nations cricket and rugby union teams

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 14:15 - Mar 23 with 1880 viewssmegma

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:44 - Mar 23 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree.

I might get a game then.

Remember the time Kevin Gallen got jeered by Irish fans in Cork playing for England under 21s whereas his brother Stephen was playing for Ireland ?? All the boys were born in London. Kevin was chosen to play for the country of his birth.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 15:53 - Mar 23 with 1827 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 14:15 - Mar 23 by smegma

Remember the time Kevin Gallen got jeered by Irish fans in Cork playing for England under 21s whereas his brother Stephen was playing for Ireland ?? All the boys were born in London. Kevin was chosen to play for the country of his birth.

Ya, a pure nonsense. In my home town as well.

I had a word with them. Won't happen again!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 21:54 - Mar 23 with 1711 viewsCiderwithRsie

Puskas is a different case. If your country is taken over by a bunch of mass murderers you should be entitled to change your nationality if you manage to get out in time.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 22:27 - Mar 23 with 1690 viewssmegma

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 21:54 - Mar 23 by CiderwithRsie

Puskas is a different case. If your country is taken over by a bunch of mass murderers you should be entitled to change your nationality if you manage to get out in time.

We're not talking about changing nationality, which he did, but about playing for two countries .
IHe was almost retired by then anyway. It's a nonsense.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:23 - Mar 24 with 1606 viewssmegma

On FB a mate has made a really good point. The FA /press condemn England fans for singing anti IRA songs. Which I agree with as its got nothing to do with football. That doesn't make me an IRA supporter either. Yet a player says something in support of them, albeit a few years ago, and it's OK.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 08:32 - Mar 24 with 1604 viewsflynnbo

Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 12:11 - Mar 22 by YorkRanger

Agreed, apologise for what was said and blame youth, ignorance, being naïve or any other credible reasons linked to stupidity. Don't try and dress it up as something else.

I grew up in London in the 70s and 80s and was working in Harrods on the day of the bomb. I despised the violence and fear it created.

I was working opposite Harrods the day that bomb went off. It exploded just by the sandwich bar-Arco's?-where I was due for my break. I was delayed by a little old woman buying shoes except she never did after deliberating for around 20 minutes-spooky,
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:09 - Mar 24 with 1589 viewskomradkirk

The Rice lad will be full of regret after ROIs win over Gibraltar.
Declan Rice - having a 'mare on 09:29 - Mar 24 with 1571 viewsCamberleyR

This is all down to Tim Cahill. It was due to him making a sub appearance for Samoa (where he had lived as a child for three years and also his mother's country of birth), in an Oceania Federation qualifying tournament in 1994 for the U20 World Cup when he was 14. He viewed it at the time as nothing more than a bit of an all expenses paid holiday and a chance to see his ill grandmother and was unaware of the long term repercussions of it.

It was only when he subsequently started making a bit of a name for himself at Millwall a few years later that he found out he was ineligible to represent Australia because of it. He therefore started a long campaign that eventually led to FIFA changing their eligibility rules in 2003.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2019 9:35]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024