Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pugh gone 17:34 - Jun 13 with 6980 viewsNorthernr

1 more game triggers an extension so he’s been released early..,
Pugh gone on 20:42 - Jun 13 with 2268 viewstraininvain

Pugh gone on 19:32 - Jun 13 by Ned_Kennedys

It's got nothing to do with our confidence on reaching the play offs: it's a financial decision not to be forced to give him another year's contract.

I liked what he did for us, think he would've done even better given a good run in the team but Chair deserved to play most weeks.

My thinking is that Pugh was a first team player before lockdown. We’ll need a decent squad if we want to have any remote chance of the playoffs (I know it’s very unlikely). So not ideal to lose him.

Maybe the club tried to keep him on a monthly contract and he wasn’t keen to take the risk. Just seems odd that we’d let him go in the circumstances. But agree that a one year extension would be daft.
Pugh gone on 20:51 - Jun 13 with 2245 viewsfrancisbowles

I think it illustrates how serious the financial situation is.

You would think that they would have had a conversation with him about waving that clause and deferring a decision about next season. Maybe they did and they couldn't reach agreement.
Pugh gone on 21:07 - Jun 13 with 2185 viewstraininvain

Pugh gone on 20:51 - Jun 13 by francisbowles

I think it illustrates how serious the financial situation is.

You would think that they would have had a conversation with him about waving that clause and deferring a decision about next season. Maybe they did and they couldn't reach agreement.

Could be a case of Pugh not wanting to risk Covid, injury etc for a short term deal. Wouldn’t blame him if so.
Pugh gone on 21:11 - Jun 13 with 2169 viewsbosh67

I think it is best for both parties. Pugh is a quality player and there will be other clubs that are in a position to sign him. For us it kind of makes sense. Normally we probably would have kept him but we have the likes of Shodipo knocking in the door, Manning who can play left wing and other kids coming through so given the circumstances not much else we could do. Like Pugh a lot. Never 100% got back to his Bournemouth best but used the ball well enough when he played.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Pugh gone on 21:12 - Jun 13 with 2164 viewsqprd

Pugh gone on 20:03 - Jun 13 by Ranger_Things

I think he did OK. Wish him well.

Agreed

Thought he was very solid defensively, but very mediocre going forward
Pugh gone on 22:09 - Jun 13 with 2030 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I guess if there was ever a good time to blood youngsters then this is it. We've got nothing to lose and despite all his experience I seriously doubt Pugh would have been the difference between us making the playoffs or not.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Pugh gone on 22:16 - Jun 13 with 2012 viewsLblock

A game of opinions....

Reading this thread from some it sounds like an integral cog of the wheel has departed
For me he was a ghost of a player. Did virtually nothing in his time and was a huge disappointment as in the past I’d rated him. Maybe his legs have gone, maybe he was injured but never did much.
If rumours another game would trigger a further 12 months then I’m glad we’ve seen sense.

Thanks Marc

For errrrrmmm

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Pugh gone on 22:19 - Jun 13 with 2001 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Pugh gone on 22:16 - Jun 13 by Lblock

A game of opinions....

Reading this thread from some it sounds like an integral cog of the wheel has departed
For me he was a ghost of a player. Did virtually nothing in his time and was a huge disappointment as in the past I’d rated him. Maybe his legs have gone, maybe he was injured but never did much.
If rumours another game would trigger a further 12 months then I’m glad we’ve seen sense.

Thanks Marc

For errrrrmmm

I don't think that's fair. Everyone's view on LfW has been quite rational.
Login to get fewer ads

Pugh gone on 22:25 - Jun 13 with 1979 viewsLblock

Pugh gone on 22:19 - Jun 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don't think that's fair. Everyone's view on LfW has been quite rational.

Well it’s no surprise we disagree

If someone can point to me a single segment of 45 minutes where he was our best player, one who held us together or looked dangerous I’ll possibly revisit my hat.

He went from disappointing to frustrating to downright turgid in some games.
I’ll settle for seeing if Paddy Oh Shodipo can pull up a few saplings if that’s okay

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Pugh gone on 22:44 - Jun 13 with 1943 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Pugh gone on 22:25 - Jun 13 by Lblock

Well it’s no surprise we disagree

If someone can point to me a single segment of 45 minutes where he was our best player, one who held us together or looked dangerous I’ll possibly revisit my hat.

He went from disappointing to frustrating to downright turgid in some games.
I’ll settle for seeing if Paddy Oh Shodipo can pull up a few saplings if that’s okay

Again, i'm not sure anyone has said he's ever been our best for 45 or less. I can't see anywhere in this thread anyway having a look back.

He's certainly played below my expectations of a Premiership midfielder but it was always a risk taking a 32 year old on. Apart from Eze and Bos, and perhaps Nahki Wells i'm not sure anyone has held us together and looked dangerous consistently. Hugill, Masterson, or Liestner on occasion maybe? Perhaps Dom Ball now and again.

If 'Turgid' is 1 and 'Looked Dangerous' is 10 i'd say he averaged a 6.

I don't like him standing in Shodipo's way that's for sure, but from the handful of games he's played Shodipo has only been a 6 on that scale too.

My worry about his departure is that it might coincide with Eze's and BOS's and leave us short. But I trust Warburton and Ferdinand to have done the right thing.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 22:52]
Pugh gone on 00:28 - Jun 14 with 1777 viewsnix

Pugh gone on 19:13 - Jun 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Not criticising his release, but how do we know he was our most expensive player?

Baz it's just projected figures I've seen online, hence the allegedly. But given that he came from a Premier side, albeit on loan from Hull, he was a free transfer and only 31 at the time, I'd think it reasonable to assume that he's on at least £10k a week, maybe more, which would be a lot more than the younger players we'd hope to get in. Toni Leistner is also supposed to be expensive and obviously Jordan, but then you'd expect to pay a bit more for a striker coming on loan from a Premiership club.
Pugh gone on 00:54 - Jun 14 with 1740 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Pugh gone on 00:28 - Jun 14 by nix

Baz it's just projected figures I've seen online, hence the allegedly. But given that he came from a Premier side, albeit on loan from Hull, he was a free transfer and only 31 at the time, I'd think it reasonable to assume that he's on at least £10k a week, maybe more, which would be a lot more than the younger players we'd hope to get in. Toni Leistner is also supposed to be expensive and obviously Jordan, but then you'd expect to pay a bit more for a striker coming on loan from a Premiership club.

True.
Pugh gone on 01:09 - Jun 14 with 1716 viewsqprxtc

Pugh gone on 00:54 - Jun 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

True.

Ha ha ha haay hey
Pugh gone on 03:41 - Jun 14 with 1666 viewsDylanP

Pugh was a good enough player, not great but not prone to errors and he worked hard for us.

I always felt that when Pugh played Manning didn't play well. I'm not smart enough to know why, but when Pugh was in, Manning seemed reluctant to go forward and Manning going forward was an engine of a lot of creativity by BOS and Eze and created a lot of chances for Hugill and others

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Pugh gone on 08:46 - Jun 14 with 1492 viewsdistortR

Pugh gone on 03:41 - Jun 14 by DylanP

Pugh was a good enough player, not great but not prone to errors and he worked hard for us.

I always felt that when Pugh played Manning didn't play well. I'm not smart enough to know why, but when Pugh was in, Manning seemed reluctant to go forward and Manning going forward was an engine of a lot of creativity by BOS and Eze and created a lot of chances for Hugill and others

very possibly because Pugh came in when we needed to tighten up, so Manning may have been under orders not to be too gun-ho, with Pugh using his experience and talking to Manning through the game - hopefully Manning learnt from it
Our full backs push on and create opportunities but in doing so give opportunity to the opposition - when to stay and when to go and how to get the appropriate balance.
All supposition on my part.
Pugh gone on 09:40 - Jun 14 with 1404 viewstraininvain

Sky sports news reporting that one more appearance would’ve triggered an automatic one year contract extension.

Edit. Just seen the original post which I misread extension as suspension for some reason!
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 9:52]
Pugh gone on 11:28 - Jun 14 with 1295 viewsAntti_Heinola

Pugh gone on 20:12 - Jun 13 by Gloucs_R

Well spotted. Sounds more like they were going to release him and don't want to vilify him. So rather than him getting injured and not finding anew club, we make up a story about one more game.

Anyway, good luck to him

SHHHH! It was after 30 apps you idiots! STFU! Pugh hasn't noticed!

Bare bones.

Pugh gone on 12:30 - Jun 14 with 1212 viewspaulparker

The club is tightening the purse strings
Pugh, Leinster possibly Halls wages are all going to be saved for possibly some decent free transfers
Also a chance for us to play some of the younger lads

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Pugh gone on 12:40 - Jun 14 with 1199 viewsPinnerPaul

Football's back!

Every player leaving/arriving is met with opinions - almost ;-) ranging from 'The best thing the club has ever done' to 'The end of the club as we know it'

In a strange way I've missed the pointlessness (is that a word?!) of it all!
Pugh gone on 15:56 - Jun 14 with 1067 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Solid player, if unspectacular. Wish him well, but sound decision.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pugh gone on 21:17 - Jun 14 with 914 viewsW7Ranger

Pugh gone on 03:41 - Jun 14 by DylanP

I think Pugh started all of the last 6 games. That should give you an idea of the contribution he made. Unspectacular maybe, but certainly effective. Although Manning has been fantastic going forward this season, questions have been asked of him defensively, hence why he lost his spot for a few games.

Pugh gave him a bit of protection on the left, then was usually replaced by Chair (who would play behind Hugill with Eze moving out to the left) for the last 20-30mins. The system seemed to work and we went on a great run. Will be interesting to see how we set up against Barnsley without (what was) a regular starter.

Do you start Chair with Eze on the left with Chair in the middle? Which may expose Manning again and also lose Eze's influence in the middle. Or will maybe Clark start on the left? Or Shodipo?

Or maybe Manning will be pushed up to the left side of midfield with Wallace coming in at Left back. That would be my choice.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 21:23]
Pugh gone on 22:01 - Jun 14 with 877 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pugh gone on 21:17 - Jun 14 by W7Ranger

I think Pugh started all of the last 6 games. That should give you an idea of the contribution he made. Unspectacular maybe, but certainly effective. Although Manning has been fantastic going forward this season, questions have been asked of him defensively, hence why he lost his spot for a few games.

Pugh gave him a bit of protection on the left, then was usually replaced by Chair (who would play behind Hugill with Eze moving out to the left) for the last 20-30mins. The system seemed to work and we went on a great run. Will be interesting to see how we set up against Barnsley without (what was) a regular starter.

Do you start Chair with Eze on the left with Chair in the middle? Which may expose Manning again and also lose Eze's influence in the middle. Or will maybe Clark start on the left? Or Shodipo?

Or maybe Manning will be pushed up to the left side of midfield with Wallace coming in at Left back. That would be my choice.

Good analysis, W7.

I'm not sure I would play Wallace at LB and push Manning to LM, personally, but I must think it over as you make good points.

Pugh gone on 22:13 - Jun 14 with 844 viewsnix

Pugh gone on 21:17 - Jun 14 by W7Ranger

I'm not saying it negates your points, which were interesting, but the last seven matches coincided with Barbet coming back in the team. I'm not sure exactly what the figures are but I'm pretty sure we've done a lot better when he's been playing. Also he's more of a natural left footed player than Masterson so provides more balance on that side.
Pugh gone on 23:01 - Jun 14 with 798 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Pugh gone on 22:01 - Jun 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Good analysis, W7.

I'm not sure I would play Wallace at LB and push Manning to LM, personally, but I must think it over as you make good points.

I think we should be looking for a Jamie Mackie type player on the left with Manning.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 23:02]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Pugh gone on 23:11 - Jun 14 with 780 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pugh gone on 22:13 - Jun 14 by nix

I'm not saying it negates your points, which were interesting, but the last seven matches coincided with Barbet coming back in the team. I'm not sure exactly what the figures are but I'm pretty sure we've done a lot better when he's been playing. Also he's more of a natural left footed player than Masterson so provides more balance on that side.

Barbet definitely makes a huge difference to our set-up. His ability to pick out a medium or long pass helps us counter quickly and helps us move the entire team up the pitch when in possession.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024