Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Penalties 17:00 - Nov 8 with 6044 viewsNov77

It’s all the game is nowadays. Leicester have been awarded 8 so far this season, we’ve conceded 5 and scored 3. Just get yourself in the box, throw yourself on the floor, get yourself an easy goal.

Would love to know what the ratio of penalties awarded today is compared to years ago.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Penalties on 15:52 - Nov 19 with 1298 viewsAntti_Heinola

Penalties on 15:47 - Nov 19 by PinnerPaul

Sorry mate, that's me being computer illiterate!

The telling stats are that for every season since PL started between 5 - 9% of all goals have been penalties, and of those seasons only 3 or 4 got up to 8% and only 1 was 9%.

This season so far 14% of goals have been pens- now obviously we need to see a full season's stats to see if that % stays up there, but quite a staggering difference, which for me is down to two things - the revised handball law interpretation and VAR.

I've always said statistically, given how much stuff happens in the box, there should be more pens, and decisions tend to get made on whether something is 'worth' a pen, rather than whether it is a foul or not.
But this season has been crazy.
Not with us, though. All 8 of the pens in our games have not really been arguable.

Bare bones.

Penalties on 16:15 - Nov 19 with 1288 viewsPinnerPaul

Penalties on 15:52 - Nov 19 by Antti_Heinola

I've always said statistically, given how much stuff happens in the box, there should be more pens, and decisions tend to get made on whether something is 'worth' a pen, rather than whether it is a foul or not.
But this season has been crazy.
Not with us, though. All 8 of the pens in our games have not really been arguable.

But really its just common sense why fouls have to be more obvious inside the box.

If you give a foul against a player in a 'neutral' area - eg attacker on defender, might be a quick moan but no one will ever remember it 2 minutes later.

Give a pen and its debated for literally days afterwards, so of course referees are going to try to make sure that any pens they give are correct. What VAR has done has allow PL referees to err even more on the side of caution, knowing that VAR will step in if they are wrong.

VAR being able to spot 'handballs' and the revised 'interpretation' this season means more pens for handballs as well as fouls.
Penalties on 16:22 - Nov 19 with 1286 viewsnix

Penalties on 12:46 - Nov 19 by PinnerPaul

Not a fan, as I've posted many times before. Said so before it was introduced.

I get the 'clear and obvious' part but problem is when you have a review system, people are going to want it used for everything.

Just watched first part of UEFA programme about referees who were miked up during CL matches, now it was a bit of a 'promotional video' whereby every decision shown was correct and VAR worked seamlessly and of course editing created the impression that the VAR decisions were made in sceonds, when of course we all know they are not!

However one small incident DID make it past the editor and was quite damning I thought.

CL Game - Tight offside, VAR checks - takes sometime evidently but then tells referee that goal should be disallowed and offside given, However the VAR then tells the referee that he is checking " the rest". Now this clearly irritates the referee who replies '"Quickly, quickly, we must restart"

Now the point is what on earth is VAR doing checking an unspecified "rest" - if he had seen something, as we heard on other conversations, he would have said '"Checking possible handball by x" So here after a lengthy delay you have VAR checking for 'something' that he hasn't seen in real time, nor has the ref nor has any player (no appeals) - THAT is where the use of VAR is wrong. On the programme UEFA Head of Refereeing said himself it was to correct "clear and obvious errors' and yet here we saw a clear example of it NOT being used for that all!

Sorry to the 99% of you who found that a complete waste of space

Thanks Pinner. Very interesting. Completely agree with you. It's become a madness, and everyone is even more frustrated. I hope they scrap it as it hasn't taken away the subjectivity that I thought it would (the pulling over of Azpilaqueta by McGuire being a case in point) and it seems to disallow goals that would never have been disallowed previously.

I don't want games decided on who gets the most penalties.
Penalties on 16:32 - Nov 19 with 1265 viewsTheChef

I long for the good old days when you could blatantly lamp your opponent and just get a booking.

I've been reading about Dirty Leeds and Don Revie and now have a need to go on YouTube and watch late 60s/late 70s football and refs just letting players get on with it and kick seven shades of sht out of each other.

Eee it were a man's game then, lad.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Penalties on 17:08 - Nov 19 with 1258 viewsNov77

Penalties on 16:32 - Nov 19 by TheChef

I long for the good old days when you could blatantly lamp your opponent and just get a booking.

I've been reading about Dirty Leeds and Don Revie and now have a need to go on YouTube and watch late 60s/late 70s football and refs just letting players get on with it and kick seven shades of sht out of each other.

Eee it were a man's game then, lad.

Remember they used to give free kicks inside the box back then too, for obstruction.

Players didn’t dive so much back then as they knew refs were onto them and would just say play on, it was a self regulating system, if there was no reward for diving, players wouldn’t do it, today we have the complete opposite situation, where forwards try to initiate the first contact just so they can throw themselves on the floor. They know refs are giving penalties so they’re incentivised to keep to doing it.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Penalties on 18:00 - Dec 20 with 1148 viewsNov77

United, 5-1 up against Leeds, just been awarded a penalty for a perfect swan dive in the area, when are referees going to man up and start saying to players ‘stop trying to con me’, instead of rewarding them with penalties.

Penalties on 18:03 - Dec 20 with 1135 viewsjoolsyp

Penalties on 18:00 - Dec 20 by Nov77

United, 5-1 up against Leeds, just been awarded a penalty for a perfect swan dive in the area, when are referees going to man up and start saying to players ‘stop trying to con me’, instead of rewarding them with penalties.

He had to give it though - stuck a leg out which is a no-no in the box.

What a game of football though - a credit to both teams. 6-2 now.
Penalties on 18:09 - Dec 20 with 1118 viewsNov77

Penalties on 18:03 - Dec 20 by joolsyp

He had to give it though - stuck a leg out which is a no-no in the box.

What a game of football though - a credit to both teams. 6-2 now.

The only way he could have ended up on the floor from that challenge (if you could call it that) was if he decided to throw himself on the floor. He was looking at the ref almost before he landed.

Login to get fewer ads

Penalties on 19:16 - Dec 20 with 1061 viewsdigswellhoop

I would think at least 95%less as you could tackle hard
Penalties on 01:17 - Dec 21 with 1020 viewsHoopsie

The increase in penalties awarded with VAR just means that there would have been more penalties the previous seasons but the human referee missed it or didn't give it due to the lack of "hindsight".

why so? well, it is not becaused of VAR we have had more penalties awarded, but rather because of VAR we could determine there should be more penalties due to subtle handball, contentious fouls etc committed in the box. Note that VAR can give you penalties but can also rescind them after referees have a review.

So with VAR, my take is that there should have been more penalties given.

And for the matter of factly, VAR has influenced the number of goals scored (whether given or rescinded) due to offside besides handballs or fouls in the box with penalties.

But what i cannot fathom is VAR being used to call a foul many minutes before and many moments of play prior to a legitimate goal being scored, and hence no goal. That is ridiculous.

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Penalties on 11:47 - Dec 21 with 900 viewsPinnerPaul

Penalties on 01:17 - Dec 21 by Hoopsie

The increase in penalties awarded with VAR just means that there would have been more penalties the previous seasons but the human referee missed it or didn't give it due to the lack of "hindsight".

why so? well, it is not becaused of VAR we have had more penalties awarded, but rather because of VAR we could determine there should be more penalties due to subtle handball, contentious fouls etc committed in the box. Note that VAR can give you penalties but can also rescind them after referees have a review.

So with VAR, my take is that there should have been more penalties given.

And for the matter of factly, VAR has influenced the number of goals scored (whether given or rescinded) due to offside besides handballs or fouls in the box with penalties.

But what i cannot fathom is VAR being used to call a foul many minutes before and many moments of play prior to a legitimate goal being scored, and hence no goal. That is ridiculous.

VAR doesn't give or 'rescind' ANY penalties!
Penalties on 22:29 - Dec 29 with 824 viewsNov77

Honestly, theirs was bad but I have to say ours was worse, for the sake of football I’d rather the game finished 0-0 and both players were booked for diving.

Penalties on 22:46 - Dec 29 with 786 viewsdistortR

Penalties on 22:29 - Dec 29 by Nov77

Honestly, theirs was bad but I have to say ours was worse, for the sake of football I’d rather the game finished 0-0 and both players were booked for diving.

well, the one thing we can say is that at least the ref was consistent, and i kind of mean that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024