Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! 22:48 - Dec 6 with 1712 viewsMungoJezza

Whilst watching the Spuds vs Gooners derby today, I couldn't help noticing similarities with our game with Huddersfield yesterday, and our play in general (accepting yesterday was not typical of our performances this season)
Son's opener for Spurs was oddly reminiscent of Corona's strike for the Terriers - a fast break down the left, Son allowed to move unchallenged into a dangerous position where he finished with aplomb! Even the second goal from Kane had similarities with Toffolo's goal yesterday - a fast break down the left, again, with an overlap and a powerful shot from an acute angle.
Our defence has justifiably been criticised for awful defending, particularly yesterday, but we see the same basic mistakes being made by better players, commanding far bigger transfer fees and higher wages.
Arsenal's general play during today's game involved some nice passing and movement, high possession stats but no end product, for the fourth time in 10 premiership matches this season.
I guess I'm trying to add a bit of perspective to some of the criticism levelled at Warbs, which I feel is a bit OTT. Yes, his lack of flexibility is frustrating, but we saw it with McClaren (picking the same team every game) and Holloway ( unwilling to use subs or use foreign players). Poor defending is nothing new either - our defence has been crap ever since we last won promotion to the Premiership.
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 01:17 - Dec 7 with 1608 viewsCLAREMAN1995

That opening goal is going to be in the running for goal of the season IMO such was the pace and exquisite finish so its hard to compare but I get the idea.
Spurs second goal happened while Arsenal had one defender standing injured at the bench basically but Kane deliver a thunderbolt from a tight angle such is his class .
Arsenal dominated the second half but sending in 100 crosses against a Jose team parking the bus is just a waste of time .
Spurs are on an incredible roll without playing Bale and Ali cannot even make the matchday squad .
He has fallen a long way and can kiss the Euros good bye with Grealish moving into the English starting 11 which is where he belongs IMO.
MW appears to have either lost the Team or his ability to read the game and make the adjustments to help us close out wins or come from behind and neither is any good.
If we go on a losing streak over Christmas he will have to go
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 01:43 - Dec 7 with 1595 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I can vaguely see the comparison but boy what I'd give for QPR to be having Arsenal's problems.
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 06:54 - Dec 7 with 1534 viewsSirNose

Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 01:43 - Dec 7 by Benny_the_Ball

I can vaguely see the comparison but boy what I'd give for QPR to be having Arsenal's problems.

This^^
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 08:06 - Dec 7 with 1465 viewsMungoJezza

Arsenal play nice, tippy tappy football with not enough end product and, at times, defend in a rank amateurish way. They have a relatively new manager, who having made a good initial impression, is now under pressure and needs to show that he has a plan B. They are 14th in the league, this for a club that a top 6 place should be a given. All this achieved with two strikers, one of whom is out of favour and so isn't playing, that earn more in a week than our whole squad combined!!! I'd rather be in Warburton's shoes than Arteta's....
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 09:45 - Dec 7 with 1357 viewsessextaxiboy

Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 08:06 - Dec 7 by MungoJezza

Arsenal play nice, tippy tappy football with not enough end product and, at times, defend in a rank amateurish way. They have a relatively new manager, who having made a good initial impression, is now under pressure and needs to show that he has a plan B. They are 14th in the league, this for a club that a top 6 place should be a given. All this achieved with two strikers, one of whom is out of favour and so isn't playing, that earn more in a week than our whole squad combined!!! I'd rather be in Warburton's shoes than Arteta's....

We are similar in that the playing philosophy doesnt change even if they are losing .

Even under Wenger I remember the 2-1 win when Diakite scored , they had a free kick 40 yards from goal in injury time and knocked it 5 yards and played tippy tappy on the touchline ..
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 10:11 - Dec 7 with 1330 viewsbosh67

Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 09:45 - Dec 7 by essextaxiboy

We are similar in that the playing philosophy doesnt change even if they are losing .

Even under Wenger I remember the 2-1 win when Diakite scored , they had a free kick 40 yards from goal in injury time and knocked it 5 yards and played tippy tappy on the touchline ..

Yes I remember that. The problem with the 'it'll come good in the end' philosophy is that we don't have enough players with enough experience to stick to it if they lose most weeks. The mental fatigue will overtake the will to stay on program. I remember one of Ollie's bad runs here and in the end we ground out a horrible and ugly 1-0 win and it perked up the players.

Players like to win ugly, especially when going through a bad patch. It's something we don't seem to be able to do and we need to. We play some great entertaining football and that's great but when it isn't coming off just bully bash and bludgeon your way to a win.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 10:29 - Dec 7 with 1312 viewsactonman

Yeah, spurs have always been a team who’s fans want to see nice football being played however that 2nd half performance was as Jose anti football bore fest as you can get but you won’t get many spurs complaining.

As for the first goal , I thought exactly the same about the similarities to Saturday although it was a lovely inside turn that sold the Arsenal defender rather than him just running past with no intention of putting a challenge in
Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 11:37 - Dec 7 with 1258 viewsrsonist

Before Saturday's debacle you could definitely have said the angst about Warbs had an extremely poor man's Wenger Out vibe to it, on both sides of the argument.

Neil Banfield is obviously a direct link to that though Warbs and Eustace are peas in the same pod.

Arteta is more like their Hasselbaink or Sousa.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we Arsenal in disguise?! on 12:24 - Dec 7 with 1220 viewsPinnerPaul

Son's goal WAS a carbon copy of Huddersfield's.

Not ALL the blame can be laid at Kane - as Andy Sinton said - Dickie should have come across as Kane (wrongly) was also trying to cover the possible pass to the overlapping Huddersfield player (to his right, their left)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024