Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fat Frank 10:48 - Jan 25 with 10156 viewspaulparker

Getting the tin tack today apprantley
What a shame

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Fat Frank on 16:48 - Jan 25 with 1859 viewsbosh67

We can call him fat. We can even call him Frank but his win rate there was impressive.

84 games, 44 wins, 17 draws, 23 losses 52.4% win rate

For a Prem team, mainly with quite a junior team at that level until the cheque book exploded pre this season, that's still quite impressive. Should have stuck with the kids in hindsight.

His win record at Derby was similar.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Fat Frank on 16:48 - Jan 25 with 1859 viewsPinnerPaul

Fat Frank on 11:56 - Jan 25 by NorthantsHoop

Let's face it over the years there have been very few top level former English footballers that have turned into top class managers that have made a success of managing at the highest level.

Very true - probably the 'best' if you add playing ability to manager ability would be Dalglish?

Anyone have any others?
Fat Frank on 16:52 - Jan 25 with 1842 viewsPinnerPaul

Fat Frank on 16:45 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

A Chelsea supporter and also a referee. Jesus, the Gods were cruel to him!

I KNEW someone would say that - Brian, I'm bitterly disappointed in you!
Fat Frank on 17:03 - Jan 25 with 1795 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fat Frank on 16:48 - Jan 25 by PinnerPaul

Very true - probably the 'best' if you add playing ability to manager ability would be Dalglish?

Anyone have any others?

Can't think of any English better than Dalglish, but if we're including all Nations then Guardiola and Cryuff.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Fat Frank on 17:04 - Jan 25 with 1786 viewsBlackCrowe

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Fat Frank on 17:08 - Jan 25 with 1768 viewsToast_R

Fat Frank on 16:45 - Jan 25 by PinnerPaul

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

You can't spend +£220 million, PLUS wages, not play most of them and get worse and last long!

Were they his signings though? Doubtful. Chelsea still manage to sign players even when they don't have a manager in place.
Fat Frank on 17:09 - Jan 25 with 1762 viewsWatfordR

Fat Frank on 17:04 - Jan 25 by BlackCrowe

Fat Frank on 17:11 - Jan 25 with 1754 viewsNoelmc

Not sure Dalglish would like to be classed as English, guys.
Login to get fewer ads

Fat Frank on 17:13 - Jan 25 with 1744 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fat Frank on 17:11 - Jan 25 by Noelmc

Not sure Dalglish would like to be classed as English, guys.

I could have worded mine better, Noel!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Fat Frank on 17:28 - Jan 25 with 1700 viewspaulparker

Fat Frank on 16:48 - Jan 25 by bosh67

We can call him fat. We can even call him Frank but his win rate there was impressive.

84 games, 44 wins, 17 draws, 23 losses 52.4% win rate

For a Prem team, mainly with quite a junior team at that level until the cheque book exploded pre this season, that's still quite impressive. Should have stuck with the kids in hindsight.

His win record at Derby was similar.

Then he should of stuck with Abraham, tomori, Hudson-Odio , Loftus cheek , Barkley , players who did the buisness for him last year
They didn’t need Werner, Havertz , ziyech whatsoever , just two centre backs is all they needed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Fat Frank on 17:38 - Jan 25 with 1675 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone have any others?

Err, Gerry Francis? Terry Venables?

Often forgotten that Brian Clough had an amazing goalscoring record as a player, not far short of a goal a game, albeit in the 2nd Division. He was especially unlucky to have his career ended at 29 with a cruciate injury just as Sunderland made it into the 1st Division. Also got two full England caps.

But I've heard it said that part of his drive as a manager was because he felt he'd been robbed of the chance to hit the top as player, and maybe that was true for Gerry too. I wonder if having done it all as a a player takes away that edge - when it gets tough, especially if you're working your way up the lower leagues (best thing for a manager IMO) can you be a*sed when you've been at the tp once in your life already?
Fat Frank on 17:43 - Jan 25 with 1657 viewspaulparker

Anyone have any others?

Johan cruyff
Zidane
Brian clough
Manchini
Vialli
Gullit

All won trophies and all excellent players in their time

Mind you won’t see this post as you have me on ignore

Fat Frank on 17:46 - Jan 25 with 1652 viewsFredManRave

I'm just pleased that there's only been one Lampard thread. Usually you'd expect another couple of people starting threads...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Fat Frank on 17:53 - Jan 25 with 1627 viewsstowmarketrange

It was only a matter of time before he walked away claiming that his knees weren’t up to it any more.Its what Uncle Harry did.
Fat Frank on 18:04 - Jan 25 with 1600 viewsR_from_afar

Fat Frank on 16:12 - Jan 25 by HAYESBOY

Mark Hughes 60/1.

Hughesless would be a perfect fit, foreign managers are all the rage these days, I hear

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Fat Frank on 18:13 - Jan 25 with 1561 viewsMyke

Fat Frank on 17:28 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Then he should of stuck with Abraham, tomori, Hudson-Odio , Loftus cheek , Barkley , players who did the buisness for him last year
They didn’t need Werner, Havertz , ziyech whatsoever , just two centre backs is all they needed

He didn't have a choice Paul. All these signings would have been made regardless of what the manager wanted, because that is what Abramovich does. I think they only intended to give the job to Lampard for last season when the embargo was on. Ramon probably thought they would finish mid-table with all the kids and that the Chelsea faithful would tolerate this from a legendary ex-player and not turn nasty. Then when the embargo was over they would jettison Lampard for a 'big' European name.
But Frank - despite people being blinded here by simple Geography - has all the makings of a top manager; astute, tactically aware, good man-management skills (Giroud) and articulate. So he exceeded expectations by getting the bunch of kids to the Cup Final and into the Champions League. So if he was sacked then, the natives would have been very unhappy. Instead Ramon had to bide his time, wait for his multi-million signings with their inflated egos that he forced Lampard into playing, to fuk up and then he could do what he intended to do last August.
Fat Frank on 18:25 - Jan 25 with 1540 viewsPaddyhoops

Fat Frank on 17:43 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Johan cruyff
Zidane
Brian clough
Manchini
Vialli
Gullit

Carlo anchelotti was some player in his time.
It may have been said already but the likes of Rooney, lampard and Geard are minted so do they have the drive required?let alone the knowledge and tactical nous.Stevie G is the one who I think might make it!!
Fat Frank on 18:34 - Jan 25 with 1509 viewsMyke

Venables
Fat Frank on 18:44 - Jan 25 with 1479 viewsT_Block

My son went through the academy system at prem and championship clubs and in dealing with the two clubs he was involved in it was obvious one of the biggest issues with English football was how poor the coaches were compared with european/North American coaches he had.They explained the game clearly and the boys could understand what they need to eliminate and improve on.The English ones in reverse were just very aggressive and shouty-seargent like if you like -with hardly any technical or tactical suggestions.

It was so obvious all the parents mentioned it .It became if you were a proud England fan frankly embarrassing.

Now my point is Frank looked like a good English coach with an approach that had some thought in it.Now I know Chelsea had enough spent on them to do very well unlike Rangers,but i hoped for the good of the English game he did ok.

I hope he has learnt a lot and comes back elsewhere.We need good English coaches.
Fat Frank on 19:15 - Jan 25 with 1414 viewsGloucs_R

Always like Lampard. Thought he was a great player and come across a decent bloke.

But did always feel this was inevitable. These guys do need to cut their teeth in the lower leagues first, Scottish Premier included 😁

Ole did it for a few years in Norway first, then Cardiff didn't he.

Random, but Is Hill still at Fleetwood?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Fat Frank on 20:00 - Jan 25 with 1323 viewseghamranger

Fat Frank on 19:15 - Jan 25 by Gloucs_R

Always like Lampard. Thought he was a great player and come across a decent bloke.

But did always feel this was inevitable. These guys do need to cut their teeth in the lower leagues first, Scottish Premier included 😁

Ole did it for a few years in Norway first, then Cardiff didn't he.

Random, but Is Hill still at Fleetwood?

Barton and all the coaches left
Fat Frank on 22:14 - Jan 25 with 1150 viewsLoftgirl

Fat Frank on 11:03 - Jan 25 by BerkoRanger

Benitez now available.

And meticulous Mark.
Fat Frank on 22:24 - Jan 25 with 1138 viewsLoftgirl

Anyone have any others?

Graeme Souness?
Fat Frank on 00:11 - Jan 26 with 1046 viewsMatch82

Fat Frank on 17:43 - Jan 25 by paulparker

Johan cruyff
Zidane
Brian clough
Manchini
Vialli
Gullit

Ferguson played at the top level in his time too
Fat Frank on 01:00 - Jan 26 with 1020 viewsTomS

Fat Frank on 11:56 - Jan 25 by NorthantsHoop

Let's face it over the years there have been very few top level former English footballers that have turned into top class managers that have made a success of managing at the highest level.

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be a high level of football. Is it the Premiership, Champions League, International?

As to Englishmen who played at a high level, who went on to become decent managers at a high level.

Southgate is quietly going about building a decent international team. I thought Hoddle was one of the better England managers. Stevie G is benefitting from Celtic jumping up and down on the self-destruct button, and will probably be the next Liverpool manager.

Not many, in fairness.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024