Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night 10:08 - Feb 6 with 6362 viewsShotKneesHoop

Missed two blatant penalties and then allowed the Sheffield United goal to stand after a blatant offside. Booked Lee Bowyer for complaining as a result.

Minimal effect on Bournemouth!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 10:12]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 17:19 - Feb 7 with 3997 viewsPinnerPaul

Well firstly no referee at any level with neutral ARs EVER decides what is offside or not.

Sharp WAS in an offside position at start of previous move, under law is he doing enough to be penalised - debateable both ways.

1st pen - not clear there was any contact - again its debateable, as was the 2nd 'handball' claim - yes ball hit his arm, but there's a lot more to the handball law than that these days!

All 3 debateable in my view, none are 'obvious' or 'blatant' IMHO.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 18:24 - Feb 7 with 3911 viewsShotKneesHoop

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 17:19 - Feb 7 by PinnerPaul

Well firstly no referee at any level with neutral ARs EVER decides what is offside or not.

Sharp WAS in an offside position at start of previous move, under law is he doing enough to be penalised - debateable both ways.

1st pen - not clear there was any contact - again its debateable, as was the 2nd 'handball' claim - yes ball hit his arm, but there's a lot more to the handball law than that these days!

If it was us playing and Stroud was the ref, guess what his decisions would be.

I presume he wil be given the Everton / Borehamwood game to ref to even things up for Bournemouth

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 18:41 - Feb 7 with 3878 viewsstowmarketrange

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 17:19 - Feb 7 by PinnerPaul

Then we keep going back to the sunderland game.Who decided that Albert was in an offside position?If it was the AR,why did he wait so long before putting his flag up?
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 19:48 - Feb 7 with 3800 viewsSuperhoops2808

I fully expect that day in May when we all attend Wembley for a play off final v's Bournemouth... And Stroud standing there kissing the ball
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:12 - Feb 7 with 3619 viewsNorthernr

The second penalty appeal, where the defender cleared it off the guy’s head with an outstretched hand, is such a terrible decision it actually comes all the way back round to being hilarious again. Same referee, same mistakes, every week.

This doesn’t keep happening to him every week, different clubs, different players, through some conspiracy. He is an absolute liability. He shouldn’t be anywhere near this level of football.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:52 - Feb 7 with 3531 viewsShotKneesHoop

In my book,the handball and the offside were nailed on

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:55 - Feb 7 with 3525 viewsted_hendrix

How and who assessess these ref's and how often? and whats the bloody point of assessing them anyway If their allowed to just carry on being incompetent, someone needs they're arse kicking.
Never mind this nonsense about the job being difficult, If it's difficult then pisss off and get another job.

Must be a closed shop or something.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 23:07 - Feb 7 with 3498 viewsNorthernr

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:52 - Feb 7 by ShotKneesHoop

In my book,the handball and the offside were nailed on

Same. Obviously incorrect, clear and obvious, dreadful errors.
Login to get fewer ads

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 23:16 - Feb 7 with 3485 viewsSK_hoops

Why are you sticking up for him?
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 06:43 - Feb 8 with 3377 viewsnix

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:55 - Feb 7 by ted_hendrix

How and who assessess these ref's and how often? and whats the bloody point of assessing them anyway If their allowed to just carry on being incompetent, someone needs they're arse kicking.
Never mind this nonsense about the job being difficult, If it's difficult then pisss off and get another job.

It's like politicians: if the people selecting them to stand in constituencies are incompetent/corrupt/nepotists then the MPs are likely to be useless or hopeless liars too. If those judging the refs are hopeless/over-fussy/out of touch with the game then they're not going to weed out the poor refs either.

From what Pinner says, there aren't enough decent refs to get rid off the useless ones, so they keep plugging away. But I think the system doesn't work where it takes so long for the best refs to get through the system. Really talented ones should be able to get promoted quicker. It couldn't be worse than the current system because some of them are clearly not up to it in the Championship.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 07:53 - Feb 8 with 3288 viewsTheChef

Keith, keep it up, you're doing a great job.

Either he has a brown envelope full of compromising photos, or he is the master of the referee's lodge. Or both.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:00 - Feb 8 with 3179 viewsterryb

I've just looked at the highlights because of reading this thread. My take on it for what that is worth.

1) For the first penalty any contact was minimal & wouldn't have met the "meaningful"* criteria.

2) 100% penalty for handball. His arm is raised well above his head & so there is no debate. The position of the arm removes any defence of unintentional.

3) Im my mind offside should be given as he moved towards the goalkeeper. I doubt that many AR's would have raised their flag though.

* Are officials still using this, or like most new means of footballing interpretations, as it died a death?
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:01]
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:26 - Feb 8 with 3126 viewsfrancisbowles

Who assesses the assessor?

Why aren't the assessments made public? Anonymity could be protected if it's a data protection issue.

Seems to be a lack of transparency.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:40 - Feb 8 with 3092 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 18:41 - Feb 7 by stowmarketrange

Then we keep going back to the sunderland game.Who decided that Albert was in an offside position?If it was the AR,why did he wait so long before putting his flag up?

As I said at the time, it WAS a cock up (by the AR, not the ref) and it was Charlie who was 'offside', the delay was ridiculous, Keith Stroud actually signalled for the goal it was that late.

It had to be Charlie, if he was flagging for either Albert or Dykes, it would have moved from appallingly bad to a sacking offence!
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:43 - Feb 8 with 3081 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:12 - Feb 7 by Northernr

The second penalty appeal, where the defender cleared it off the guy’s head with an outstretched hand, is such a terrible decision it actually comes all the way back round to being hilarious again. Same referee, same mistakes, every week.

This doesn’t keep happening to him every week, different clubs, different players, through some conspiracy. He is an absolute liability. He shouldn’t be anywhere near this level of football.

This post has been edited by an administrator

For what its worth, my opinions

1) First pen - that angle doesn't show if any contact, so its a no for me

2) Handball - 'Natural position for the action the player is making'? I don't think so - pen for me

3) Offside - Everyone 'expects' that to be called offside, as per LOTG it's not, but can understand why people think it is - 1 or 5 yards on or off, its nothing to do with the ref though, whoever he is!
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:45 - Feb 8 with 3078 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 22:55 - Feb 7 by ted_hendrix

Every decision of every referee and AR is marked for each game in the top 4 divs and the WSL.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:49 - Feb 8 with 3071 viewssuperhoopdownunder

I wrote to the Football League twice regarding Keith Stroud and his poor performance as a referee - after the Sunderland and Bournemouth games
They wrote decent letters back and I felt they showed empathy after the appalling decisions made. However when I asked can Stroud never be involved in either QPR or Bournemouth games (the data is compelling) I was informed this was not decided by the Football League but the Professional Game Match Officials Board. I asked for their contact details and have not heard back since.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:50]
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:49 - Feb 8 with 3069 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 23:07 - Feb 7 by Northernr

Same. Obviously incorrect, clear and obvious, dreadful errors.

Ok here goes - the offside

1) Has he played the ball? - nope
2) Has he challenged an opponent for the ball ?- nope
3) Has he prevented an opponent from challenging for the ball? - nope

That's the LOTG bit sorted, but the GK has only played the ball because Sharpe is there, which is why everyone thinks its offside, but that criteria isn't in the LOTG, so its ONside.

Just for my sanity Clive, you WILL concede that one is nothing to do with your mate though!

As I just said perfectly understand why everyone is screaming offside though.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:51 - Feb 8 with 3050 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 23:16 - Feb 7 by SK_hoops

Why are you sticking up for him?

I'm not sticking up for anyone, I would write the same whoever the ref was.

To blame him (or any ref) for an offside decision is absurd.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:53 - Feb 8 with 3039 viewsRs_Holy

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:49 - Feb 8 by superhoopdownunder

I wrote to the Football League twice regarding Keith Stroud and his poor performance as a referee - after the Sunderland and Bournemouth games
They wrote decent letters back and I felt they showed empathy after the appalling decisions made. However when I asked can Stroud never be involved in either QPR or Bournemouth games (the data is compelling) I was informed this was not decided by the Football League but the Professional Game Match Officials Board. I asked for their contact details and have not heard back since.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:50]

you just know who will be the ref if we get Bournemouth in the playoffs
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:58 - Feb 8 with 3024 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 06:43 - Feb 8 by nix

It's like politicians: if the people selecting them to stand in constituencies are incompetent/corrupt/nepotists then the MPs are likely to be useless or hopeless liars too. If those judging the refs are hopeless/over-fussy/out of touch with the game then they're not going to weed out the poor refs either.

From what Pinner says, there aren't enough decent refs to get rid off the useless ones, so they keep plugging away. But I think the system doesn't work where it takes so long for the best refs to get through the system. Really talented ones should be able to get promoted quicker. It couldn't be worse than the current system because some of them are clearly not up to it in the Championship.

The other problem I've touched on and we've discussed over on RefChat is the 'issue' of employment law.

Two issues

1) As we know a mandatory retirement age does not exist, so you can't just say to Mike Dean, "Mate, you're too old - off you go"

2) As we all know from our own workplaces, if someone is not quite up to it, or making mistakes, you can't just sack them.

The top level referees are full time employees with the same rights that brings to everyone else.

As Clive and me have touched on - yes you could demote referees for poor marks, but with VAR in place, you do that too much and your're going to run out of referees at the top and it just then filters down. Not enough referees full stop and tbh, when you see some (not all, or even most) but some comments on here and out on the fop you can see why.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:59 - Feb 8 with 3018 viewsNorthernr

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:49 - Feb 8 by PinnerPaul

Ok here goes - the offside

1) Has he played the ball? - nope
2) Has he challenged an opponent for the ball ?- nope
3) Has he prevented an opponent from challenging for the ball? - nope

That's the LOTG bit sorted, but the GK has only played the ball because Sharpe is there, which is why everyone thinks its offside, but that criteria isn't in the LOTG, so its ONside.

Just for my sanity Clive, you WILL concede that one is nothing to do with your mate though!

As I just said perfectly understand why everyone is screaming offside though.

Well I agree that offsides are the linesman's fault. So we can certainly get that out of the way.

The one small caveat is that two of the ones we've had badly wrong in out games this season, the Sunderland one against us and the Blackpool one in our favour, involved the linesman initially keeping the flag down, but standing his ground, and then only raising it after a conversation with the referee. About what we cannot know, but the referee had an input of some sort into both those decisions.

Not the case in the Birmingham game though, where I disagree with your point two. Has he challenged an opponent for the ball - for me, yes. The goalkeeper is forced to come out of his area and deal with a ball in that way because Sharp has run through on him and is competing for it. If Sharp wasn't there, offside, the keeper would be able to let the ball run into the box and pick it up. That's offside. It just is. They're tying themselves in all kinds of silly knots pretending it's not.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 11:00 - Feb 8 with 3017 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 06:43 - Feb 8 by nix

That's a very fair point on the amount of time it takes. Michael Oliver only got there so quickly, because apart from being very good - obviously - he started at 14 and his Dad was a top flight referee.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 11:01 - Feb 8 with 3012 viewsNorthernr

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:58 - Feb 8 by PinnerPaul

The other problem I've touched on and we've discussed over on RefChat is the 'issue' of employment law.

Two issues

1) As we know a mandatory retirement age does not exist, so you can't just say to Mike Dean, "Mate, you're too old - off you go"

2) As we all know from our own workplaces, if someone is not quite up to it, or making mistakes, you can't just sack them.

The top level referees are full time employees with the same rights that brings to everyone else.

As Clive and me have touched on - yes you could demote referees for poor marks, but with VAR in place, you do that too much and your're going to run out of referees at the top and it just then filters down. Not enough referees full stop and tbh, when you see some (not all, or even most) but some comments on here and out on the fop you can see why.

Totally agree with this. It['s not exactly an attractive job with a whole loud of budding young stars coming through the ranks is it? Needs better management, better pay, and better conditions, to be a more attractive career option, which will then lift standards.
Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 11:01 - Feb 8 with 3012 viewsPinnerPaul

Keith Stroud cocking it up again at the Brum vs Blades game on Friday night on 10:00 - Feb 8 by terryb

I've just looked at the highlights because of reading this thread. My take on it for what that is worth.

1) For the first penalty any contact was minimal & wouldn't have met the "meaningful"* criteria.

2) 100% penalty for handball. His arm is raised well above his head & so there is no debate. The position of the arm removes any defence of unintentional.

3) Im my mind offside should be given as he moved towards the goalkeeper. I doubt that many AR's would have raised their flag though.

* Are officials still using this, or like most new means of footballing interpretations, as it died a death?
[Post edited 8 Feb 2022 10:01]

Thanks Terry, pretty much as I saw it.

I am not alone - phew!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024