Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. 22:44 - Oct 10 with 6546 viewsDiscodroids

I can't spend all week in the pubs of Leigh On Sea With 'er indoors away in Alicante for the week. No jobs to do about the House so one has decided to put ones Adidas Munchen up on the Louis XI pouf and purchase the TV Series 1979, Box set of 'Tinker Tailor soldier Spy' on Amazon.

Blitzkreig acting from Alec Guiness, Bernard Hepton and Ian Richardson. I'm 5 episodes in. 3 to go.

I Can't booze it up like i used to.

I once had the capacity of Kit Lambert, but these days after 7 or 8 pints and a couple of chasers, i'm more out of it than Syd Barrett at the whiskey a go go and will probably end up in a pentangle of salt satanic cult in Hati by the end of the week, so i need some box set/ film recommendations to keep me out of the boozer and on the straight and narrow till Friday Night when Jo gets Home.

Ive lined up the' Shadow Line' for tomorrow but after that i'm fked.

[Post edited 10 Oct 2022 22:45]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 13:14 - Oct 11 with 1702 viewsPunteR

I reckon Disco is back in the pub right now.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 13:25 - Oct 11 with 1679 viewsbollockchops

at the mo on thats tv channel 65 its The Goodies which is pretty dated and not that funny but after that at 1330 its Nearest and Dearest with Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 13:26 - Oct 11 with 1673 viewsTheChef

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 11:23 - Oct 11 by CamberleyR

I've been watching them from the beginning recently as well although mainly as a series link from the repeats on ITV4. Annoyingly though ITV4 are missing certain episodes out, not sure why, so filling in the gaps with the eps on YT.

It struck me with the first couple of series that it was a bit more gritty than I remembered with the emphasis more on the drama than the comedy. I think Series 3 was peak Minder IMHO personally.

Ah well I'm just approaching the end of series 2 (which has its fair share of Terry punch ups).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 14:04 - Oct 11 with 1657 viewsderbyhoop

If you are OK with subtitles, try Spiral.

French police drama. Really gritty.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 14:07 - Oct 11 with 1646 viewsjohnhoop

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 14:04 - Oct 11 by derbyhoop

If you are OK with subtitles, try Spiral.

French police drama. Really gritty.

One of the best TV series ever made but mentioning it may well get Metallica going on the subject of Audrey Fleurot.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 14:27 - Oct 11 with 1597 viewsSonofpugwash

Apropos Alec Guiness...
My old dad was a publicity consultant and people like Guiness,Peter Bull, John Gielgud would phone up regularly - I answered the phone to them when dad wasn't in.Guiness had that recognizable laconic delivery whereas Gielgud was more typically "old school" like he was reciting from a script.
Trouble is we only had the one phone number which my brother and I also used to buy and sell cars...eg."You got Cortina for sale yeah?"
Was always expecting a call saying "Gielgud here.That f*cking Hillman Hunter you sold me - the rear axle has fallen orf"
[Post edited 11 Oct 2022 19:56]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 18:33 - Oct 11 with 1523 viewsNoelmc

A seventies TV series which I love and have on Box Set is 'When the Boat Comes In'.

IMHO 'Jack Ford' (played by James Bolam) is one of the great TV characters. (Excellent supporting cast too).
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 19:44 - Oct 11 with 1489 viewsfrancisbowles

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 12:48 - Oct 11 by terryb

I watched a fair chunk of this on Talking Pictures earlier this year. I only came across it part way through, which was a shame, but I was hooked!

Sunday at 9.00pm was the slot & The Onedin Line currently fills that gap. It may be that Secret Army is still being shown, but at another time/day.

It is Terryb, 11pm on a Monday evening. I think it's been on for around 4/5 weeks. Last nights is on TPTV encore, their catch up, for a week. Their website gives details of all programmes about four weeks in advance.

I've watched loads of series on there that I missed when I was young and always out or when working. Secret Army, Enemy at the Door, Family at War, Upstairs Downstairs, Widows etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:41 - Oct 11 with 1459 viewsMrSheen

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 18:33 - Oct 11 by Noelmc

A seventies TV series which I love and have on Box Set is 'When the Boat Comes In'.

IMHO 'Jack Ford' (played by James Bolam) is one of the great TV characters. (Excellent supporting cast too).

Can’t remember the name of it but my wife saw James Bolam in something the other week, pleasant surprise he’s still around.

Fortunately Alec Guinness’s great grandson wasn’t Smiley last Friday.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:59 - Oct 11 with 1446 viewsCamberleyR

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:41 - Oct 11 by MrSheen

Can’t remember the name of it but my wife saw James Bolam in something the other week, pleasant surprise he’s still around.

Fortunately Alec Guinness’s great grandson wasn’t Smiley last Friday.

He was in that pile of pretentious shite, 'Marriage' that starred Sean Bean and Nicola Walker. I stood it for two episodes and then got a divorce from it. Absolute load of wånk.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 21:19 - Oct 11 with 1423 viewsTramoreRanger

Another shout out for Spiral.......

Also the Scandi Noir series The Bridge, especially seasons 1 and 2, felt it lost its way a bit after that.....

Plus the original series from Scandi World, Borgen, it's been shown recently on BBC Alba, still great even after 10 years or so.........

Most box sets on All 4 under the Walter Presents heading are reliably good......

If you can find it there was a Belgium series called The Outlaws, a black comedy that is worth a go, something like 10 episodes.......
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 21:30 - Oct 11 with 1413 viewsMrSheen

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:59 - Oct 11 by CamberleyR

He was in that pile of pretentious shite, 'Marriage' that starred Sean Bean and Nicola Walker. I stood it for two episodes and then got a divorce from it. Absolute load of wånk.

That’s the one. Mrs Sheen’s verdict, if I wanted to watch someone filling the dishwasher I’d get you in to do it.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 22:26 - Oct 11 with 1378 viewseastside_r

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 09:54 - Oct 11 by johnhoop

In a similar vein I think Secret Army,about the Belgian resistance would be well worth seeing again.
I know that “Allo, Allo” took the p-ss out of it relentlessly but I think it was an excellent series in its own right.

Interesting fact (or not) - two actors were in both Secret Army and its later parody.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 00:16 - Oct 12 with 1326 viewsCiderwithRsie

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 09:19 - Oct 11 by johnhoop

Bannen was indeed superb, as were all the cast, but the one that sticks in my mind even more is Bernard Hepton’s performance as Toby Esterhase, playing the Hungarian spiv to perfection. Must watch it again myself.
And another recommendation for “Smiley’s People” as a follow up. I think that Le Carre was at the peak of his ability then and the way he fashions the trap leaves you bemused at first and then dazzled as you finally realise what’s going on.

Yes, Hepton was great and Estehase an interesting character.

One of Le Carre's features is that so many of his spies don't really have a proper home. (Judging by A Perfect Spy, that maybe autobiographical.) As you say, Esterhase's Hungarian, in the book its explained that he's recruited post-war while living on the streets; it explains why he tries so hard to be the English gent and gets it slightly wrong so he looks like a spiv. Hepton does that beautifully, you can see the insecurity under the flashy suit.

There's a similar thing about Prideaux being ultra-patriotic because he has no family and makes the whole country his family. Joseph Conrad does something similar with his Russian double-agent in Under Western Eyes, so I wonder if its a real thing.

(Looking forward to hearing from any of the LFW mighty hive mind who are in fact spies and can tell me if its all a load of balls.)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 10:14 - Oct 12 with 1233 viewsderbyhoop

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 14:07 - Oct 11 by johnhoop

One of the best TV series ever made but mentioning it may well get Metallica going on the subject of Audrey Fleurot.

I preferred Caroline Proust who played Laure.

Most of the foreign dramas shown on BBC4 have been excellent, including The Bridge, The Killing and Borgen.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 10:47 - Oct 12 with 1215 viewsngbqpr

Lose yourself in Nordic Noir...an off the top of my head top 10

The Bridge
The Killing
Stockholm Requiem
Bordertown
The Valhalla Murders
Wallander
The Chestnut Man
Deadwind
Wisting
Before We Die

My obsession began in lockdown when I innocently googled 'scandi shows like The Bridge or The Killing'...two years on I'm still going, and there's been only one show that didn't grip me.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:04 - Oct 13 with 1056 viewsDiscodroids

Flight FR897 back from Alicante 6pm tomorrow.

Me at 5pm...

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:13 - Oct 13 with 1047 viewsMick_S

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:04 - Oct 13 by Discodroids

Flight FR897 back from Alicante 6pm tomorrow.

Me at 5pm...

Not picking her up, then?

Rascal.

Edit: pm on its way.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 20:14]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:23 - Oct 13 with 1034 viewsDiscodroids

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:13 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

Not picking her up, then?

Rascal.

Edit: pm on its way.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 20:14]

my son Simon (stainrod) is picking her and her mates up mick. They'll Probably molest him on the way home in a middle age rampage.

I painted the shed in the week and jet washed the drive while she was away to demonstrate i wasnt on the piss all week.( I was).

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:30 - Oct 13 with 1025 viewsMick_S

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 20:23 - Oct 13 by Discodroids

my son Simon (stainrod) is picking her and her mates up mick. They'll Probably molest him on the way home in a middle age rampage.

I painted the shed in the week and jet washed the drive while she was away to demonstrate i wasnt on the piss all week.( I was).

Little Micky Flanagan curtain peep to make sure you got them the right way round. I’m here for you.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 22:08 - Oct 13 with 949 viewsLblock

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 10:47 - Oct 12 by ngbqpr

Lose yourself in Nordic Noir...an off the top of my head top 10

The Bridge
The Killing
Stockholm Requiem
Bordertown
The Valhalla Murders
Wallander
The Chestnut Man
Deadwind
Wisting
Before We Die

My obsession began in lockdown when I innocently googled 'scandi shows like The Bridge or The Killing'...two years on I'm still going, and there's been only one show that didn't grip me.

Just watched The Chestnut Man and it was bloody brilliant.

Another I watched was Der Pass on Netflix.... gripped.

Seen The Tunnel (not Scandi I know) and that one The Bridge sounds similar so I'll be giving that a bash

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 06:48 - Oct 14 with 897 viewsjohnhoop

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979). Staying out of the Boozer. Box Sets. on 22:08 - Oct 13 by Lblock

Just watched The Chestnut Man and it was bloody brilliant.

Another I watched was Der Pass on Netflix.... gripped.

Seen The Tunnel (not Scandi I know) and that one The Bridge sounds similar so I'll be giving that a bash

The Bridge has been flogged to death with the English/French ( The Tunnel ), German/Austrian (Der Pass ) and Mexican/American ( keeping the original title) versions being made after the success of the original Danish/Swedish one.
Surprisingly though, as L Block says about Der Pass, I think they’re all pretty good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024