Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries 20:48 - Oct 12 with 4669 viewsShotKneesHoop

Mystery deepens over Canaries Club Shop purchases charged to government credit card

By Noah Vickers, Local Democracy Reporter Eastern Daily Press

Published: 5:30 PM October 12, 2022

South West Norfolk MP Liz Truss has previously admitted to being a Canaries fan - A mystery over government spending at Norwich City Football Club’s online shop has deepened, as officials remain tight-lipped over their use of public money.

Questions had been raised last month by Labour MP Emily Thornberry over the Foreign Office spending some £1,841 at the Canaries’ online store over the last year.

The department’s purchases were made on two dates: £1,318 on October 21 last year and £523.50 on March 21 this year.

It is not known who requested the payments, but at the time in which they both were made, the department was led by South West Norfolk MP Liz Truss, who has spoken previously about being a City supporter.

Ms Thornberry, who serves as shadow attorney general, had written in a letter to foreign office minister Gillian Keegan, that it was difficult to understand why the department had spent money on items such as "high-end private catering; wellness and beauty treatments; extensive supplies from UK wineries; large amounts of home furnishing; and even £1,841 at the Norwich City club shop".

And in a formal parliamentary question following up on her letter, she asked the department whether the “normal assurance checks on the use of government procurement cards” had been followed.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 20:54]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 20:53 - Oct 12 with 3737 viewsLadbrokeR

She just might have a bit more to worry about soon
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 20:56 - Oct 12 with 3725 viewsShotKneesHoop

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 20:53 - Oct 12 by LadbrokeR

She just might have a bit more to worry about soon

It's called "filling yer boots whilst you can get away with it"

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:06 - Oct 12 with 3665 viewsted_hendrix

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 20:56 - Oct 12 by ShotKneesHoop

It's called "filling yer boots whilst you can get away with it"

I know where I'd like to put my boot.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:08 - Oct 12 with 3661 viewsShotKneesHoop

This is the perfect example of the trickle down effect that she is so keen on,
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 21:09]

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:11 - Oct 12 with 3632 viewskensalriser

That's chickenfeed compared to the £10k she dropped at Fortnums and what she spent on travel as foreign secretary.

"In 20 trips during the first six months of the year, a total of £1.8m was spent, despite the now prime minister’s call for prudence with public money and government departments being told to find “efficiency savings”.

The figure far exceeds the £67,000 her predecessor as foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, spent on trips abroad in the six months before the Covid pandemic, which caused global travel disruption and in-person meetings between world leaders to be abandoned.

The visits made by Truss between January and June included some related to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. However, these were on the relatively inexpensive side when compared with a £454,000 trip to Australia, another to Washington DC that cost £229,000, as well as a tour to Rwanda and Turkey that cost taxpayers just under £200,000.

The costs of trips taken by other ministers in the department were far lower. Lord Ahmad spent £6,787 on a ministerial visit to the US earlier this year, while another such trip, by Vicky Ford to Malawi in April, which included a private charter flight, cost £2,937."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/09/liz-truss-foreign-secretary-ove

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:15 - Oct 12 with 3617 viewsGloryHunter

There is something very wrong with the way we choose our nation's leaders.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:37 - Oct 12 with 3545 viewsShotKneesHoop

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:15 - Oct 12 by GloryHunter

There is something very wrong with the way we choose our nation's leaders.

It's a mix of "Strictly Come Dancing", "The Apprentice," ""Britain's Got No Talent" and "Pointless"

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:54 - Oct 12 with 3479 viewscolinallcars

I wonder why nobody calls her Mrs Truss. Thatcher was always known as Mrs Thatcher.
Login to get fewer ads

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:58 - Oct 12 with 3462 viewsdistortR

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:54 - Oct 12 by colinallcars

I wonder why nobody calls her Mrs Truss. Thatcher was always known as Mrs Thatcher.

not to me.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 22:04 - Oct 12 with 3429 viewsMoonshineSteve

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:58 - Oct 12 by distortR

not to me.

Nor me.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 22:13 - Oct 12 with 3382 viewsjoe90

Surely a freedom of information request could find out what the money was spent on?

Also, it should be very easy to track the spending as I doubt she would have made the purchases herself. I could be wrong, but there's usually an admin team that deal with transactions made on a government procurement cards, plus there's paper work to go with it, cost codes, cost centres, activity numbers etc.

If she has taken the money and spent it on herself then people would have known and let her get away with it. It's a bloody joke. I once nearly had a £10 lunch expense claim rejected because I didn't get a drink with a meal. Definitely one rule for senior management/MP's and another for the rest of us!
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 22:14 - Oct 12 with 3382 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'm more worried by the idea that the Foreign Office was trying to schmooze foreign leaders with Norwich City merchandise.

Might explain why she wasn't sure if Macron was a friend if she'd try to give him one of these

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 01:23 - Oct 13 with 3112 viewsDavieQPR

The lefties are out again.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 01:47 - Oct 13 with 3090 viewsTomS

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 01:23 - Oct 13 by DavieQPR

Or is it "the anti-growth coalition"? It's so hard to tell these days.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 02:30 - Oct 13 with 3069 viewsstowmarketrange

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 01:23 - Oct 13 by DavieQPR

It shouldn’t just be so called lefties appalled by potentially breaking the rules on mp’s expenses,it should be everyone who thinks it wrong to abuse the power we give them.As if they’re not paid enough to pay for their perks instead of draining the public purse even more when there are millions of people struggling to put food on the table for their families.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:18 - Oct 13 with 2892 viewsessextaxiboy

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 02:30 - Oct 13 by stowmarketrange

It shouldn’t just be so called lefties appalled by potentially breaking the rules on mp’s expenses,it should be everyone who thinks it wrong to abuse the power we give them.As if they’re not paid enough to pay for their perks instead of draining the public purse even more when there are millions of people struggling to put food on the table for their families.

Every tax payer should want answers over this regardless how they vote
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:30 - Oct 13 with 2876 viewsShotKneesHoop

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:18 - Oct 13 by essextaxiboy

Or who they support

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:46 - Oct 13 with 2823 viewsstevec

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:18 - Oct 13 by essextaxiboy

Totally agree but wasn’t she Secretary of Trade in recent times?

As such, you’d imagine schmoozing the countries you want to trade with is likely to be a costly exercise.

It does need looking into but I’m curious what her detractors have up their sleeves that would save us from the huge deficits this country has accumulated every single year of this 22 year old century.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:54 - Oct 13 with 2794 viewsdistortR

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 07:46 - Oct 13 by stevec

As such, you’d imagine schmoozing the countries you want to trade with is likely to be a costly exercise.

It does need looking into but I’m curious what her detractors have up their sleeves that would save us from the huge deficits this country has accumulated every single year of this 22 year old century.

I think you're conflating two different issues, Steve.
I can't tell you what we should be doing economically but I can tell you that this spend, when she was in the foreign office, needs to be investigated. It's about entitlement and dishonesty, let alone canary suprematism, which I abhor.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:11 - Oct 13 with 2737 viewsdistortR

Would explain why we have been struggling to pick up trade, as well.

"What do you bring as your dowry? Cartier watches? Knightsbridge apartments? Villa's for our use in Barbados? No.............what is this? A photo.........with a scrawl on it................who is this Mick Milligan?"
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:12 - Oct 13 with 2737 viewsNorthernr

We need this thread do we? Great.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:19 - Oct 13 with 2716 viewsShotKneesHoop

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:12 - Oct 13 by Northernr

Yes, it sums up the depth that the Canaries would go to to stay in the Premier. Stop Press - they failed.

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:20 - Oct 13 with 2713 viewsR_from_afar

It's about consistency of message and national unity, Steve.

If there are issues with the economy and national debt - which clearly there are - we should all be in it together and the government, whatever their politics, should be setting an example, not carrying on like medieval kings and queens and squandering public money on themselves and their mates.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:23 - Oct 13 with 2702 viewsnix

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:12 - Oct 13 by Northernr

You're right Hiding it now. Don't want to get sucked into the same circular arguments.
Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 08:58 - Oct 13 with 2632 viewsizlingtonhoop

Thick Lizzy reported for charging Canaries on 21:54 - Oct 12 by colinallcars

Her husband's name is O'Leary.

Do women who don't change their family name use Mrs? I genuinely don't know.

I, more often than not, these days at least, say Mrs Thatcher.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024