Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 24989 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Guitar playing thread on 15:50 - May 22 with 2172 viewsBluce_Ree

Never tried to play Little Wing. I used to play Castles Made of Sand which is similar but better. I think maybe Wind Cries Mary is still in my fingers if I gave it a go today.

Jazz guitar lesson #2 yesterday. F**K ME. It's so hard.

Playing metal/blues is easy by comparison. In metal all your chords are power chords. You play the root and the fifth of the chord. So you don't need to know what the key is or if the chord is major/minor. And generally one scale is all you need (just ask Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton and BB King). Light work.

Now in jazz you need to know what third of the chord is (that's what makes it maj/min). But also the 7th. And beyond. And instead of one scale, you now need to understand the arpeggios behind EACH CHORD. In realtime.

And then jazz has this shit called enclosures. So say you want to play over a D minor chord. You'd play a D minor arpeggio (D F A C) which is the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th of the D minor scale. Cool. Except then it's like for each note you can play a semitone below and the scale note above. But not all the time. Be tasty. And then try to finish your lick by landing on the 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th of the next chord.

WHAT?!

Like I understand the idea and the theory to some extend but I'M NOT A COMPUTER, HOW DO I WORK THAT OUT IN REAL TIME?! And then the teacher's like 'it's just jazz, man. Feel it.'

And I'm like ARGH!

Guitar playing thread on 21:48 - May 22 with 2140 viewsted_hendrix

Guitar playing thread on 15:50 - May 22 by Bluce_Ree

Never tried to play Little Wing. I used to play Castles Made of Sand which is similar but better. I think maybe Wind Cries Mary is still in my fingers if I gave it a go today.

Jazz guitar lesson #2 yesterday. F**K ME. It's so hard.

Playing metal/blues is easy by comparison. In metal all your chords are power chords. You play the root and the fifth of the chord. So you don't need to know what the key is or if the chord is major/minor. And generally one scale is all you need (just ask Kirk Hammett, Eric Clapton and BB King). Light work.

Now in jazz you need to know what third of the chord is (that's what makes it maj/min). But also the 7th. And beyond. And instead of one scale, you now need to understand the arpeggios behind EACH CHORD. In realtime.

And then jazz has this shit called enclosures. So say you want to play over a D minor chord. You'd play a D minor arpeggio (D F A C) which is the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th of the D minor scale. Cool. Except then it's like for each note you can play a semitone below and the scale note above. But not all the time. Be tasty. And then try to finish your lick by landing on the 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th of the next chord.

WHAT?!

Like I understand the idea and the theory to some extend but I'M NOT A COMPUTER, HOW DO I WORK THAT OUT IN REAL TIME?! And then the teacher's like 'it's just jazz, man. Feel it.'

And I'm like ARGH!

Django Reinhardt as you probably know only had two fingers on his fretting hand after the fire that he and his wife were caught up in.

Look what he achieved playing Jazz, Gypsy Jazz and even Bebop.

Inspirational.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 22:04 - May 22 with 2121 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 21:48 - May 22 by ted_hendrix

Django Reinhardt as you probably know only had two fingers on his fretting hand after the fire that he and his wife were caught up in.

Look what he achieved playing Jazz, Gypsy Jazz and even Bebop.

Inspirational.

I was told many years ago that he got caught in a gypsy encampment fight and the other bloke held his hand in a fire. But as you say, just caught up in a fire.
He was unbelievably quick and intricate despite the handicap.
I really like Gypsy Jazz and have many records including by Django's son.
Guitar playing thread on 23:14 - May 22 with 2109 viewsted_hendrix

Guitar playing thread on 22:04 - May 22 by colinallcars

I was told many years ago that he got caught in a gypsy encampment fight and the other bloke held his hand in a fire. But as you say, just caught up in a fire.
He was unbelievably quick and intricate despite the handicap.
I really like Gypsy Jazz and have many records including by Django's son.

Going a bit off tangent but who cares?

Ronnie Woods book imaginatively called "Ronnie" Is a good read If you like the Stones as much as I do, he was brought up as a 'Water Gypsy' on the barges near Paddington although he was the first in his family to be born on dry land.

Couldn't put the book down when I started reading It.

Guitar playing thread on 08:14 - May 23 with 2084 viewsBluce_Ree

What I've heard of Django's music has been insanely impressive.

Guitar playing thread on 10:38 - May 23 with 2055 viewsguitarzan

For jazz, learn your arpeggios is cycle of fourths eg Em7 followed by Am7 Dm7 G7 Cmajor7 Fmajor 7 then B m7 flat 5. I wouldn’t worry about enclosures yet. Hard enough learning the arpeggios
Guitar playing thread on 21:52 - May 23 with 2005 viewsTW_R

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the Jeff Beck Tribute Concert last night. Here’s one for both guitarists and bass players.

And the finale.

Guitar playing thread on 22:54 - May 29 with 1893 viewscolinallcars

I posted this a long time back. She is a guitar player worth checking out. The lady on vocals wrote this for Michael Jackson but sadly is now very ill.

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 14:12 - May 30 with 1820 viewsR_from_afar

Here's a style of playing which I hadn't come across until recently but which I now love. Gwenifer's playing is mesmerising and there is so much going on. When I see people with this sort of ability, it inspires me to keep practising.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 14:34 - May 30 with 1807 viewsSonofpugwash

Guitar playing thread on 21:52 - May 23 by TW_R

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the Jeff Beck Tribute Concert last night. Here’s one for both guitarists and bass players.

And the finale.

That old Freddie King number Goin' Down seems to be the jam of choice.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 21:02 - Jun 1 with 1736 viewsted_hendrix

Got my new Fender Jazzmaster this morning only just switched the amps off, reverb--chorus and Electro Harmonix Big Muff to name but a few.

Whammy bar.

Sympathy For The Devil.

Guitar playing thread on 22:07 - Jun 1 with 1676 viewscolinallcars

We should get a band together on here :
Ted and Bluce on twin lead guitars, Dorse on drums, Danny Paddix on bass and me on benefits.
Guitar playing thread on 10:33 - Jun 2 with 1608 viewsRs_Holy

Guitar playing thread on 22:07 - Jun 1 by colinallcars

We should get a band together on here :
Ted and Bluce on twin lead guitars, Dorse on drums, Danny Paddix on bass and me on benefits.

A Loft For Words Super Group... I like it ... Maybe Wild Thang can be lured away from The Cold Blooded Hearts???
[Post edited 2 Jun 2023 10:34]
Guitar playing thread on 13:43 - Jun 2 with 1578 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 10:33 - Jun 2 by Rs_Holy

A Loft For Words Super Group... I like it ... Maybe Wild Thang can be lured away from The Cold Blooded Hearts???
[Post edited 2 Jun 2023 10:34]

Yup, a world tour beckons. Is it my memory or did every band in the 60s and 70s have a bass players named Phil ?
Guitar playing thread on 08:57 - Jun 6 with 1506 viewsBluce_Ree

Third jazz guitar lesson.

Still hard as anything.

I'm definitely learning something here but it's almost like of the stuff I get taught, maybe 25% of it stays in my head and then I've got to get home and play it a few times to really get it.

However, it's really good for one thing. As guitarists I think we get into a muscle memory thing. There's so much programming that builds up over the years that when you're jamming, you kind of fall into patterns. Usually the old faithful blues scale.

This jazz shit is completely breaking that. I'm now thinking in arpeggios and whatever. I'm looking for different ways to play the same notes too, which really breaks you out of set positions.

The downside is that it makes you seem like you can barely play the f'ing guitar anymore. But it's definitely worth doing if you ever feel trapped in a Clapton/BB King box.

Guitar playing thread on 10:29 - Jun 6 with 1487 viewsBluce_Ree

One of my favourite ever guitar performances is this one.

Back in the day, late '80s, there was a thing on TV called Night of the Guitars. And this was the standout thing on it (along with a pretty cool version of Hey Joe by Randy California).

I tried to learn it but that main melody bit was a pig to learn. I eventually got it down when this guy uploaded this incredible video.

Even then I had to slow the video to 50% speed to get the notes figured out. It really is one of the most deceptively tricky things I've seen on guitar. Pete Haycock plays it so smooth.

Guitar playing thread on 10:35 - Jun 6 with 1483 viewsozexile

Guitar playing thread on 10:29 - Jun 6 by Bluce_Ree

One of my favourite ever guitar performances is this one.

Back in the day, late '80s, there was a thing on TV called Night of the Guitars. And this was the standout thing on it (along with a pretty cool version of Hey Joe by Randy California).

I tried to learn it but that main melody bit was a pig to learn. I eventually got it down when this guy uploaded this incredible video.

Even then I had to slow the video to 50% speed to get the notes figured out. It really is one of the most deceptively tricky things I've seen on guitar. Pete Haycock plays it so smooth.

That's truly incredible.
Guitar playing thread on 20:44 - Jun 6 with 1449 viewscolinallcars

It's amazing how some really good guitarists can stay under the radar. Like me……
No seriously, I was a huge fan of jazz/rock fusion band Bruford.
When they did the sessions for their Gradually Going Tornado album, the regular guitar player, the great and sadly late player Alan Holdsworth wasn't available.
Alan recommended a guy named John Clark to fill in with impressive results.
The band even called him the Unknown John Clark on the sleeve notes. I heard no more of him.
Years later, Mary Costello recommended a Cliff Richard (yes, really ) album called the Rock Connection which I bought. The guitar player had a gorgeous bell-like Stratocaster sound so I checked the personnel and it was John Clark. Other than that - nowt. Not even on Wiki. The guy is superb.
Guitar playing thread on 22:17 - Jun 6 with 1424 viewsHAYESBOY

Have an Ibanez 300 SR Bass and a silly sized 80w amp.
Hardly touch it now and was never great on it.

I always envisaged myself playing like Buddy Hankerson or Louis Johnson.
Instead sound more like Jeremy Beadle....

[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 22:18]

Smells like a trout farm in here

Guitar playing thread on 22:38 - Jun 6 with 1415 viewscolinallcars

Solid guitars and basses are really heavy, especially of you have encountered a certain Mr Arthur Reitus.
I remembered I had a little Crafter acoustic in the loft ( not that one ). Made in South Korea, it has a fibre body and wood top. Light as a feather and sounds surprisingly good with a decent action.
I bought it from a shop in Ealing one Xmas when I was a bit the worse for wear after a works Xmas do.
Guitar playing thread on 09:02 - Jun 7 with 1388 viewsBluce_Ree

Louis Johnson was a bad motherf**ker on that bass.

I had an old Hot Licks guitar instructional video thing in the 80s and it had a part where it showed bits of all their videos. So you'd get 15 secs of a guy from Night Ranger, and then like the guy from Toto. Brian May (yuck!) was on there too. But it also had two bass playing bits. One was some white dude with a moustache doing slap but the other was Louis Johnson murdering his bass. It was the most amazing thing at the time.

Guitar playing thread on 09:12 - Jun 7 with 1383 viewsBluce_Ree

Ah! This is it.

Man, I remember all these solos in my head. I watched this so many times.

Standouts are Albert Lee (fking outrageous playing), Steve Lukather (insane speed), Louis Johnson as mentioned and the insane Michael Angelo at the end.

Oddly this video makes each sequence a bit shorter but you get the idea. Oh and it cuts off a bunch of them at the end so Lukather and Angelo aren't on this one.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2023 9:15]

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:37 - Jun 7 with 1372 viewsR_from_afar

Guitar playing thread on 20:44 - Jun 6 by colinallcars

It's amazing how some really good guitarists can stay under the radar. Like me……
No seriously, I was a huge fan of jazz/rock fusion band Bruford.
When they did the sessions for their Gradually Going Tornado album, the regular guitar player, the great and sadly late player Alan Holdsworth wasn't available.
Alan recommended a guy named John Clark to fill in with impressive results.
The band even called him the Unknown John Clark on the sleeve notes. I heard no more of him.
Years later, Mary Costello recommended a Cliff Richard (yes, really ) album called the Rock Connection which I bought. The guitar player had a gorgeous bell-like Stratocaster sound so I checked the personnel and it was John Clark. Other than that - nowt. Not even on Wiki. The guy is superb.

Interesting stuff. You may already be familiar with it but Holdsworth (RIP) really gets stuck in in this suite.

Great riff, great soloing

[Post edited 7 Jun 2023 9:40]

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 09:41 - Jun 7 with 1364 viewsBluce_Ree

I played a gig once where the support act were some posh kids with decent gear. Turned out the guitarist was the son of Bill Bruford if I'm remembering that rightly.

Guitar playing thread on 11:00 - Jun 9 with 1300 viewsToast_R

I struggle with the G# chord. My hand doesn't like it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024