Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? 12:28 - Mar 17 with 3075 viewsPaddyhoops

A few people have asked me the question.
Would you take a QPR win if it meant Ireland losing the grand slam?
A QPR win every time . Especially under our present circumstances .
Obviously hoping for a win in both.
By the way Happy St Patrick’s day.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 12:35 - Mar 17 with 3002 viewsWegerles_Stairs

But Ireland are so superior to England that there's very little chance they'll lose, particularly at home.

I'm actually optimistic about beating Birmingham as they're no better than us. I know we've just been battered by another team supposedly no better than us, but I think we can get the win and more or less guarantee we'll be back for more of the Championship slop again next season.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 12:37 - Mar 17 with 3018 viewsRangersw12

One of the few sports where I don't care how England do

Can both lose !?
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 12:41 - Mar 17 with 3002 viewsSuperhoop83

Unless it's a dead rubber at the end of the season, I'd always take a QPR win over any national team winning anything, including a World Cup.

Suffering since 1978.

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:08 - Mar 17 with 2936 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 12:41 - Mar 17 by Superhoop83

Unless it's a dead rubber at the end of the season, I'd always take a QPR win over any national team winning anything, including a World Cup.

We’ve secured automatic promotion to the Prem. So few Rfosi are going, that we’re only taking 57 tickets from our allocation. Meanwhile we’re playing Wigan who need to win to avoid relegation, bankruptcy and being wound up altogether. They’re down to picking youth players as they’ve got 13 players in hospital, their staff haven’t been paid for months and their best players, were ‘given’ to us to get them off the books. We go there as League Cup winners, and are going to our second FA Cup final next week.

The PM - supported by the Chancellor, opposition, and Charles III - says, that such is the perilous state of the UK’s confidence, and the economic and social cohesion is at breaking point, that the only thing that will save the UK from certain destruction, would be beating Russia in the delayed World Cup final.

Would you go for an England win then?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:15 - Mar 17 with 2924 viewsjoe90

Obviously a QPR win. Why would I care about Ireland?
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:24 - Mar 17 with 2883 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rangers.
Every.
Time.

P.S. I don't follow rugby anyway, but if it was Rangers or any Irish team in any sport, it's still Rangers every time.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2023 13:25]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:46 - Mar 17 with 2820 viewsNorthernr

If I speak, I am in trouble.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:50 - Mar 17 with 2791 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Watched the Irish press conference and Coach Farrell said his son who Captains England is coming over to their house so they can play with the grandkids and he has a couple of Ireland jersey's for them I though that was funny.
Rugby is a tough game but the respect most play with is very refreshing and only the captain talking to the ref just superb IMO .
England will be so fired up to play the first half should be brutal but Ireland despite the injuries should hold them off .
As for QPR they bounce back and grab the 3 golden points to ease the pain Tuesday caused
Login to get fewer ads

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 14:01 - Mar 17 with 2766 viewsSuperhoop83

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 13:08 - Mar 17 by PlanetHonneywood

We’ve secured automatic promotion to the Prem. So few Rfosi are going, that we’re only taking 57 tickets from our allocation. Meanwhile we’re playing Wigan who need to win to avoid relegation, bankruptcy and being wound up altogether. They’re down to picking youth players as they’ve got 13 players in hospital, their staff haven’t been paid for months and their best players, were ‘given’ to us to get them off the books. We go there as League Cup winners, and are going to our second FA Cup final next week.

The PM - supported by the Chancellor, opposition, and Charles III - says, that such is the perilous state of the UK’s confidence, and the economic and social cohesion is at breaking point, that the only thing that will save the UK from certain destruction, would be beating Russia in the delayed World Cup final.

Would you go for an England win then?

No.

Suffering since 1978.

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 14:44 - Mar 17 with 2655 viewsBenny_the_Ball

As I'm not Irish, it's a straightforward choice for me. Nonetheless, a happy St. Patrick's Day to all Irish Rs.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 15:24 - Mar 17 with 2623 viewsToast_R

QPR of course.

On the subject of Rugby, slight comparisons between England and QPR on Saturday in that both coming back from thorough thrashings. It will take a monumental effort to turnaround that French debacle as it will QPR from the Blackpool game. Both defences absolutely shambolic.

I do wonder if Ireland have peaked just that bit too soon for their World Cup ambitions. Them and France huge favourites to win it youd think?Ireland have a tricky Pool with both Scotland and SA who will prove tough opponenets. Then likely to have NZ or France waiting for them in the Quarter finals. Still yet to win a RWC knockout match which is bonkers.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 15:44 - Mar 17 with 2578 viewsflynnbo

QPR to make it a special birthday weekend for me; don't mind about the rugby.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 19:58 - Mar 17 with 2402 viewsPaddyhoops

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 15:24 - Mar 17 by Toast_R

QPR of course.

On the subject of Rugby, slight comparisons between England and QPR on Saturday in that both coming back from thorough thrashings. It will take a monumental effort to turnaround that French debacle as it will QPR from the Blackpool game. Both defences absolutely shambolic.

I do wonder if Ireland have peaked just that bit too soon for their World Cup ambitions. Them and France huge favourites to win it youd think?Ireland have a tricky Pool with both Scotland and SA who will prove tough opponenets. Then likely to have NZ or France waiting for them in the Quarter finals. Still yet to win a RWC knockout match which is bonkers.

Have to agree with you on Ireland .
We have a tough group and I’m worried we’ll have peaked too soon .
Happens every time.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 20:04 - Mar 17 with 2388 viewsfrancisbowles

The answer to the question for me is always Rrrrs. As for the rugby, I was born in England but both parents were Irish. Normally it's England first, Ireland second in national teams. Tomorrow is different, I hope it's Ireland.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 22:05 - Mar 17 with 2309 viewsHammersmithR

Couldn’t care less if England win or lose in the rugby. Rugby means more for the Irish than it does for the English. More people in England care about football and cricket. England will play Ireland in a Test this summer.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 22:40 - Mar 17 with 2261 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 22:05 - Mar 17 by HammersmithR

Couldn’t care less if England win or lose in the rugby. Rugby means more for the Irish than it does for the English. More people in England care about football and cricket. England will play Ireland in a Test this summer.

Rugby means very little to Irish people either, Hammersmith.

A friend of mine is very high up in the IRFU and the actual participation rates are alarmingly low. Naturally, they are much lower than men's football, men's soccer (sorry) and men's hurling, being about a tenth of those three who all command participation rates of 1m plus, but also lower than the women's version of all three, and lower than men's athletics, swimming and another few sports.

Rugby is a TV sport, played mostly by public schools and pushed by the the media which is dominated by ex-pupils of the same schools. Most Irish rugby 'fans' are not 'fans' at all, or even slightly 'fanatic', they have never touched a rugby ball, let alone played the game, played with their kids, joined a club, coached, attended a club game, attended an Irish League game, or even attended an Irish Provincial or International game (though obviously many rock up at these games despite having no skin in the game). If Ireland lose tomorrow, most will not care a jot.

This is a social event, and nothing more.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 23:42 - Mar 17 with 2208 viewsTomS

While it's very much a minority sport, I believe that the main reason for the low participation rate in Ireland is that parents won't let their kids play it. I used to play, but that was in a different era. There was a position for every sized child on the pitch, that is no longer the case. There is so much more evidence about the link between brain injury and rugby these days, that few parents are willing to expose their kids to it.

Running around a pitch with nothing to protect you from hurl wielding maniacs, other than a helmet, is considered much safer.

As to the support of our national team. It's huge. The team are ranked #1 in the world and their recent performances back that up. We aren't the best in the world at much, so this moment in time is special, and no matter what happens tomorrow, we're very proud of this team.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 23:53 - Mar 17 with 2187 viewsCiderwithRsie

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 12:37 - Mar 17 by Rangersw12

One of the few sports where I don't care how England do

Can both lose !?

Well, they're both going to be playing rugby instead of doing something else, so I'd argue they already have.

Tin hat etc.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 23:56 - Mar 17 with 2174 viewsMrSheen

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 23:42 - Mar 17 by TomS

While it's very much a minority sport, I believe that the main reason for the low participation rate in Ireland is that parents won't let their kids play it. I used to play, but that was in a different era. There was a position for every sized child on the pitch, that is no longer the case. There is so much more evidence about the link between brain injury and rugby these days, that few parents are willing to expose their kids to it.

Running around a pitch with nothing to protect you from hurl wielding maniacs, other than a helmet, is considered much safer.

As to the support of our national team. It's huge. The team are ranked #1 in the world and their recent performances back that up. We aren't the best in the world at much, so this moment in time is special, and no matter what happens tomorrow, we're very proud of this team.

I imagine there aren’t that many places to play outside of Dublin, Cork and Limerick (barring the North). The only rugby fan my parents knew in rural Tipperary had been to boarding school (Rockwell?) That said, I see a lot of kids throwing rugby balls around the beach in Kerry these days, though they are mostly down from Dublin. The locals aren’t that excited.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 00:08 - Mar 18 with 2153 viewsTomS

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 23:56 - Mar 17 by MrSheen

I imagine there aren’t that many places to play outside of Dublin, Cork and Limerick (barring the North). The only rugby fan my parents knew in rural Tipperary had been to boarding school (Rockwell?) That said, I see a lot of kids throwing rugby balls around the beach in Kerry these days, though they are mostly down from Dublin. The locals aren’t that excited.

True. It's still very much a minority sport and concentrated in those cities. I know the IRFU are trying to grow the game in some provincial towns at grassroots level. However, like any team sport, getting kids to continue playing for the club after they leave school is challenging.

There is also intense competition from the GAA at underage level, and as you get older through your teens you can't realistically continue playing GAA and anything else due to the training demands.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 00:25 - Mar 18 with 2106 viewsSydneyRs

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 22:40 - Mar 17 by BrianMcCarthy

A friend of mine is very high up in the IRFU and the actual participation rates are alarmingly low. Naturally, they are much lower than men's football, men's soccer (sorry) and men's hurling, being about a tenth of those three who all command participation rates of 1m plus, but also lower than the women's version of all three, and lower than men's athletics, swimming and another few sports.

Rugby is a TV sport, played mostly by public schools and pushed by the the media which is dominated by ex-pupils of the same schools. Most Irish rugby 'fans' are not 'fans' at all, or even slightly 'fanatic', they have never touched a rugby ball, let alone played the game, played with their kids, joined a club, coached, attended a club game, attended an Irish League game, or even attended an Irish Provincial or International game (though obviously many rock up at these games despite having no skin in the game). If Ireland lose tomorrow, most will not care a jot.

An excellent summary of rugby union, and not just in Ireland. Very similar here in Australia. A handful of toffs who went to certain schools care about it, the rest of us don't.
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 08:35 - Mar 18 with 1865 viewsPaddyhoops

Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 22:40 - Mar 17 by BrianMcCarthy

You’ve lived in Ireland a lot longer than I have so obviously know the system better than I do .
Been to a couple of internationals over here and a few London Irish games . Difference type of people attending but had some cracking sessions as a result.
Still we’re top of the world in a sport albeit with a lot less competing.
I’ll take that any day.
We sure as f**k won’t be gracing any major tournaments with the round ball any time soon.
Still QPR any day !!
Tomorrow. QPR or Ireland? on 09:12 - Mar 18 with 1825 viewsGalileo

For the rarity of winning a grand slam in Dublin - Ireland
For the rarity of winning at Loftus Road - QPR

So an Ireland/QPR double would be heaven.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024