Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane McGowan dead 11:58 - Nov 30 with 7699 viewsconnell10

RIP a legend

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Shane McGowan dead on 23:47 - Nov 30 with 1806 viewsqueensparker

Been jumping around with the kids tonight to this

Shane McGowan dead on 03:37 - Dec 1 with 1730 viewsSydneyRs

Sad but inevitable news. Not many would have bet on him getting to 65. A song writing genius with so many great tunes to his name.

As others have mentioned their live shows were quite something and I was lucky enough to see them a few times. I remember being blown away the first time when the instruments started for the first song, such an amazing sound.

As someone who moved overseas to live, this one always resonates with me:

[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 5:31]
Shane McGowan dead on 04:16 - Dec 1 with 1721 viewsWesty75

Those annual Christmas gigs at Brixton a few years back were some of the most raucous, joyous gigs I’ve ever been to. Great memories, wonderful music. Rest in peace Shane.

Pandemonium down the front when this one got going…

Shane McGowan dead on 08:31 - Dec 1 with 1628 viewsconnell10

First saw them at Brunel uni and my god they were good! Even got to speak to Shane as he was cueing up at the bar trying to get a drink with the rest of us urchins! So many good times , but the best was the Fridge in Brixton where i was introduced to Tennents Super what a night!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Shane McGowan dead on 11:23 - Dec 1 with 1520 viewsderbyhoop

Given his lifestyle, it can hardly comes as a surprise.

RIP Shane and thanks for the tunes.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Shane McGowan dead on 14:02 - Dec 1 with 1448 viewsBrianWilson

Shane McGowan dead on 03:37 - Dec 1 by SydneyRs

Sad but inevitable news. Not many would have bet on him getting to 65. A song writing genius with so many great tunes to his name.

As others have mentioned their live shows were quite something and I was lucky enough to see them a few times. I remember being blown away the first time when the instruments started for the first song, such an amazing sound.

As someone who moved overseas to live, this one always resonates with me:

[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 5:31]

Probably in my top 5 with...old main drag, and the band played, body of an american and of course....White City

Phil Chevron was another great songwriter gone too soon. He wrote thousands are sailing but when Shane sings it, then it's truly magic.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Shane McGowan dead on 16:52 - Dec 8 with 1253 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not sure what part of the world you're in, but I'm sat here in France and watching his funeral from Tipp'rary 'live' on Sky News!!

I only turned on to see death and despondency, and been left stunned and amazed by this. Fair play indeed.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Shane McGowan dead on 16:58 - Dec 8 with 1240 viewsflynnbo

Shane McGowan dead on 16:52 - Dec 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Not sure what part of the world you're in, but I'm sat here in France and watching his funeral from Tipp'rary 'live' on Sky News!!

I only turned on to see death and despondency, and been left stunned and amazed by this. Fair play indeed.

A very moving ceremony.
Login to get fewer ads

Shane McGowan dead on 18:40 - Dec 8 with 1151 viewsPeterHucker

I've watched some of that too.

At school this lad called Paul kept telling me about The Pogues and trying to get me to listen to them. I dismissed him because he was into lots of old folky stuff (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Richard Thompson etc)
I love that music now, but at the time I didn't think it fitted in with the other bands I loved The Cure, Waterboys, Big Audio Dynamite etc.
Then after I bought a ticket to see U2 at Wembley, I read that The Pogues were one of the support acts. So I went back to Paul and asked to borrow some of their stuff. He lent me the tapes of Red Roses For Me & Rum Sodomy & The Lash and I realised very quickly how wrong I'd been to not listen to Paul's advice in the first place.
I saw The Pogues many more times over the next few years in London, Brighton, Sheffield, Amsterdam. Also went to a couple of reunion gigs at Brixton Academy in the early 2000s with Cait O'Riordan back in the band were amazing.

Too many people just saw Shane as a cartoon pisshead with no teeth, and didn't take the time to actually listen to the words. The man was a brilliant lyricist, one of the all-time great romantic poets. A good example of that is the song The Broad Majestic Shannon that his sister just referenced in her brilliant eulogy.

One of my all time favourites is Misty Morning Albert Bridge, which is a song about dreaming about someone you miss when you're away from them (written on tour, Shane hated touring)

If you've not read it, then I highly recommend the book Here Comes Everybody, by Pogues accordion player James Fearnley.
I wrote a short review of it here.
https://trustthewizards.com/2014/09/09/book-review-here-comes-everybody-the-stor
Shane McGowan dead on 20:26 - Dec 8 with 1104 viewsqueensparker

A fitting tribute

Shane McGowan dead on 10:36 - Dec 9 with 955 viewsSydneyRs

Don't mind admitting I shed a few tears watching this. Magnificent.
Shane McGowan dead on 16:39 - Dec 10 with 807 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Shane McGowan dead on 20:26 - Dec 8 by queensparker

A fitting tribute

Beautiful thanks for posting that was amazing.He made a simple lyric change at the end to make it even more emotional singing " now this song is over " leaving out the word nearly before over .
It might be his own way of saying nobody will ever deliver it with the style of Shane again .
R.I.P
Shane McGowan dead on 20:08 - Dec 10 with 715 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Shane McGowan dead on 10:36 - Dec 9 by SydneyRs

Don't mind admitting I shed a few tears watching this. Magnificent.

Wow that was amazing like an Irish wake without the drinking .
Loved they way they kept the bad words in there even with the priest sitting behind her.
Even the President of Ireland seemed to enjoy it and a truly fitting farewell to Shane RIP
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024