Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early resolution for the new year... 16:31 - Dec 23 with 5429 viewsD_Alien

Not from me, but as a wish for all Dale fans...

Please, in respect for what the club are trying to achieve as set out by Chris Dunphy in his Xmas message, can we all refrain from the rancid response to:

"Rochdale's a shit hole" with "We already know"

It goes right against how people should now being looking at the club, as part of the town. I know most don't join in, but it'd be great if those who do are shouted down - it's not funny (it might've been first time) it's not clever, it's just rubbishing ourselves and any intended irony has long since been lost

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Early resolution for the new year... on 19:06 - Dec 23 with 4431 viewsChaffRAFC

I get the bit about the Chairman's message, it possibly does go against it a tad but it's nothing more than a witty response showing we can take the mickey out of ourselves. I find it amusing, I don't personally find much harm in it either.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Early resolution for the new year... on 19:24 - Dec 23 with 4392 viewsdingdangblue

Totally agree. A much better response would be the whole home ends joining in together singing "We love you Rochdale, we do......." - there's more of us than most away fans - so they should be easy enough to shut up if we made an effort.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2016 19:24]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Early resolution for the new year... on 19:49 - Dec 23 with 4345 viewsD_Alien

Just imagine you've persuaded a mate who supports Man U to come along to the COA

He's got a good career, perhaps a profession, he lives in Rochdale, he can choose where to spend his money

"Rochdale's a shit hole, WE ALREADY KNOW"

Does that make him feel good about being there? Or does he think "hang on a minute, I can do better than spend my time among losers who have so little self-respect"? That's what comes across to me

[Post edited 23 Dec 2016 19:52]

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:00 - Dec 23 with 4314 viewsChaffRAFC

The TOWN is what it is and the comeback is pretty accurate, the club and the team are the best part of it. If I had brought a United fan, I suspect he'd find the humour in it. The several City fans, Leeds fan and Villa fan who I've brought with me all find it amusing and it certainly doesn't make them question why they've parted with their money to watch a game of football when their teams aren't playing.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:30 - Dec 23 with 4255 viewsD_Alien

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:00 - Dec 23 by ChaffRAFC

The TOWN is what it is and the comeback is pretty accurate, the club and the team are the best part of it. If I had brought a United fan, I suspect he'd find the humour in it. The several City fans, Leeds fan and Villa fan who I've brought with me all find it amusing and it certainly doesn't make them question why they've parted with their money to watch a game of football when their teams aren't playing.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Good response, and I get the humorous side of it, but I suspect there's plenty won't and we need to make sure the experience is one which leaves people walking away from the ground proud that the Dale represent the town where they live

There's evidence in those who agree with me that enough people don't appreciate the response to make it an unwelcome occurence - that should be enough for anyone to think twice, rather than just being dismissive - think about it from the point of view of people who you DON'T know

[Post edited 23 Dec 2016 20:35]

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:31 - Dec 23 with 4254 views100notout

100% agree with the OP - I hate that retort.

It might be a shit hole but you know what ? ITS OUR SHITHOLE!!!! Just how the fook someone from Rotherham or Barnsley or Scunthorpe can call Rochdale a shithole is beyond belief.

I was born and raised in this town and I'm proud to be a Rochdalian. Please please please take a bit more pride in our town - "We love you Rochdale we do ........."

Merry Xmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:49 - Dec 23 with 4212 viewsR17ALE

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:31 - Dec 23 by 100notout

It might be a shit hole but you know what ? ITS OUR SHITHOLE!!!! Just how the fook someone from Rotherham or Barnsley or Scunthorpe can call Rochdale a shithole is beyond belief.

I was born and raised in this town and I'm proud to be a Rochdalian. Please please please take a bit more pride in our town - "We love you Rochdale we do ........."

I'm inclined to agree with this, although shouldn't we be singing "we love you shithole we do"?!

I'm afraid it's a universal song now probably sang at 80% of matches every Saturday regardless by who and where.

As someone who reps all over the North of England, I see very few places that are obviously nicer than Rochdale. Places like Skipton, Ilkley and Bingley are clearly a cut above, but places like Castleford, most of Leeds and Bradford, nearly all of Manchester are clearly a cut below.

And that great jewel in our crown, the city to which we are told is the greatest on the planet (no not bury, but London) which powers the wealth of the uk is the biggest shithole of them all. Going to SE games via the train you get to see some desperately deprived areas in our great capital. Swathes of Barking make Falinge look like the hanging gardens of Babylon.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:59 - Dec 23 with 4192 views_dezzy

its a bit of fun, humour directed at away fans, How many of you laughed at it when first hearing it, I did and will carry on singing it,.

As stated its our sh1thole, and only we are allowed to call it that

KHBA

Login to get fewer ads

Early resolution for the new year... on 21:23 - Dec 23 with 4145 viewsClivert

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:59 - Dec 23 by _dezzy

its a bit of fun, humour directed at away fans, How many of you laughed at it when first hearing it, I did and will carry on singing it,.

As stated its our sh1thole, and only we are allowed to call it that

It's sang tongue in cheek just as the Flitcroft (he's one of our own) song was so I don't get why people get so upset by it.
Early resolution for the new year... on 21:40 - Dec 23 with 4109 viewsD_Alien

Early resolution for the new year... on 21:23 - Dec 23 by Clivert

It's sang tongue in cheek just as the Flitcroft (he's one of our own) song was so I don't get why people get so upset by it.

No-one's upset, and of course it's t-i-c ... well, kindof

It's about making sure that any new fans (hence my reference to the chairman's message) aren't given an impression of the club as being part and parcel of the whole Rochdale downbeat, losing mentality

The 2500-3000 who've turned up to watch when the WE ALREADY KNOW has been sung understand it for what it is - none of us need reminding of that

But stop thinking about our regulars and start thinking about new fans who've maybe watched premier league teams and want to be part of something that's not just successful but feels like it's successful from top to bottom. Many newcomers just won't get that age-old Dale tinpot mentality, and it's time to change the record

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:14 - Dec 23 with 4039 views_dezzy

Maybe we could stop singing we hate Berry to, we want to be a friendly club now a days

KHBA

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:16 - Dec 23 with 4028 viewsClivert

Early resolution for the new year... on 21:40 - Dec 23 by D_Alien

It's about making sure that any new fans (hence my reference to the chairman's message) aren't given an impression of the club as being part and parcel of the whole Rochdale downbeat, losing mentality

The 2500-3000 who've turned up to watch when the WE ALREADY KNOW has been sung understand it for what it is - none of us need reminding of that

But stop thinking about our regulars and start thinking about new fans who've maybe watched premier league teams and want to be part of something that's not just successful but feels like it's successful from top to bottom. Many newcomers just won't get that age-old Dale tinpot mentality, and it's time to change the record

I'm might be cynical with my thoughts about the general public in this town but I've always said that we could be in the Champions League and still only get 2200 home fans.

Nordenblue's comments earlier this week about our two 'unappealing' home Christmas fixtures probably sum up what jo public in Rochdale think about our town's wonderful football team.
Early resolution for the new year... on 22:18 - Dec 23 with 4015 viewsrobbowood

Early resolution for the new year... on 21:40 - Dec 23 by D_Alien

Well said

The chant has gone past its sell buy date - it may be "humour directed at away fans" but it does NOT reflect well on the club, especially for neutral supporters or new Dale fans whom we want to encourage to come as often as possible

Why on earth are we trying to humour away fans in any case ?

Despite what those who chant it may think some away fans will go away with negative ideas about the town which is something we should be trying to avoid at all costs

As has been said there are a lot worse places to live than Rochdale (and even the town centre is slowly begining to improve - though it will take some time to see the benefits).
Early resolution for the new year... on 22:19 - Dec 23 with 4014 viewsbocadave

Thought it was funny first time it was sung,now it makes me cringe.
Early resolution for the new year... on 22:25 - Dec 23 with 4002 viewsjudd

A feint heart never fooked a pig.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:28 - Dec 23 with 3993 viewsR17ALE

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:18 - Dec 23 by robbowood

Well said

The chant has gone past its sell buy date - it may be "humour directed at away fans" but it does NOT reflect well on the club, especially for neutral supporters or new Dale fans whom we want to encourage to come as often as possible

Why on earth are we trying to humour away fans in any case ?

Despite what those who chant it may think some away fans will go away with negative ideas about the town which is something we should be trying to avoid at all costs

As has been said there are a lot worse places to live than Rochdale (and even the town centre is slowly begining to improve - though it will take some time to see the benefits).

Agree.

I thought the response to Oldham fans singing it was the best the SLE has mustered so far.

"Fook off back to Oldham, fook off back to Oldham".

A bit like if a relative comes round at Christmas and slags off your house, you'd tell them to fook off back home.

It might be a Rochdale thing plain speaking, but it's part of our heritage and we should embrace plain speaking as part of our collective Rochdale dna.

And if you don't agree, fook off.

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:55 - Dec 23 with 3939 viewsClivert

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:28 - Dec 23 by R17ALE

Agree.

I thought the response to Oldham fans singing it was the best the SLE has mustered so far.

"Fook off back to Oldham, fook off back to Oldham".

A bit like if a relative comes round at Christmas and slags off your house, you'd tell them to fook off back home.

It might be a Rochdale thing plain speaking, but it's part of our heritage and we should embrace plain speaking as part of our collective Rochdale dna.

And if you don't agree, fook off.

Only if the relative brought the ticket money with them!
Early resolution for the new year... on 23:34 - Dec 23 with 3865 viewsR17ALE

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:55 - Dec 23 by Clivert

Only if the relative brought the ticket money with them!

Unfortunately, she'd bought her ticket at the Oldham ticket office.

Early resolution for the new year... on 10:41 - Dec 24 with 3599 viewsDorsetDale

What hasn't been addressed is the effect it has on the kids.

I remember being young and the songs ringing round Spotland were highly influential and us kids would sing them away from the ground when just out playing.

Imagine the kids of today out in the streets doing the same thing. How does it make them think and for that matter passer's by?

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Early resolution for the new year... on 14:58 - Dec 24 with 3384 viewsDalenet

Early resolution for the new year... on 22:19 - Dec 23 by bocadave

Thought it was funny first time it was sung,now it makes me cringe.

it makes most of us cringe. Awful and not funny. Most people sitting around me hate it. The town may be down but it is not a sh**hole. Can the few Sandy singers please show more pride when the away fans goad them?
Early resolution for the new year... on 19:12 - Dec 24 with 3246 viewsChaffRAFC

Early resolution for the new year... on 14:58 - Dec 24 by Dalenet

it makes most of us cringe. Awful and not funny. Most people sitting around me hate it. The town may be down but it is not a sh**hole. Can the few Sandy singers please show more pride when the away fans goad them?

Pride? no, the ability to not resort to offensively react to their chants (there's a reason they chant it), the ability to take the piss out of ourselves is an good trait in my book. My Mum always brought me up that way, if somebody picks on you for whatever reason, tell then you agree and that you don't care, they don't know how to react!

Early resolution for the new year... on 19:46 - Dec 24 with 3205 views1907

Some ridiculous comments on this post. Teams sing thing song attempting to humiliate us yet the rhetoric puts them immediately in their place. Some of you lot need a sense of humour transplant. Please from the majority of normal Dale fans please keep up what you're doing as it is enjoyable. Maybe some of you guys might prefer netball, it's a little bit inoffensive?
Early resolution for the new year... on 20:15 - Dec 24 with 3176 viewsD_Alien

Early resolution for the new year... on 19:46 - Dec 24 by 1907

Some ridiculous comments on this post. Teams sing thing song attempting to humiliate us yet the rhetoric puts them immediately in their place. Some of you lot need a sense of humour transplant. Please from the majority of normal Dale fans please keep up what you're doing as it is enjoyable. Maybe some of you guys might prefer netball, it's a little bit inoffensive?

Sounds like you've had one sherry too many 1907

It's victim mentality to try to disarm the bully by making them laugh, and the majority of normal Dale fans aren't victims, not are they tied to their mum's apron strings

It's really, really, simple. Do teams who're proud of who they are resort to such responses?

No

So it time we stopped. There are NO good arguments for putting ourselves down

Early resolution for the new year... (n/t) on 20:29 - Dec 24 with 3149 viewsstuartcryer

wardle blue

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:32 - Dec 24 with 3145 viewsstuartcryer

Early resolution for the new year... on 20:31 - Dec 23 by 100notout

I live in Rotherham born in Rochdale I am proud of my roots and my team and the Rochdale sense of humour, nowt wrong in singing rochdales a shithole its humour

wardle blue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024