Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 20:29 - Dec 29 with 2107 viewsD_Alien

Would be interested to hear the views of those who attended both fixtures.

I was there in the promotion season, and witnessed what was possibly the most complete performance by a Dale team as we swept to the top of the league.

If today's performance was anywhere near that, then we're in for exciting times ahead, especially if JC can add some steel to the defence.

Of course, in between we suffered the FA Cup defeat which virtually sealed Eyre's fate, but what I'm particularly interested in here, is whether the actual footballing performance could be compared with the Dec 2009 display. And, does that mean we've come a long way under Coleman?

Any views?

(Apart from - If you'd been there today you wouldn't need to ask!!)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:43 - Dec 29 with 1528 views442Dale

First half was as good as that display in 2009 - bar a ten minute spell after their first goal. Some of the interplay in central areas was as good as I've seen a Dale team play that type of football - that doesn't mean they're the best team ever, it's just you don't often see sides play such stuff in a congested league two midfield.

Grimes sees things few other players do, and when he's at it like he was in the first 45 today, he becomes almost unplayable. The difference between this Grimes and the one that has received justified criticism makes you think they are two different players.

The build up and execution for Tutte's goal was the best example of how good we were in the first half. After the break it was more of a 'see it out' performance and that's exactly what happened and we were rarely threatened.

2009 wins because it was a 90 minutes of total supremacy, but today will be another display that will be remembered in years to come.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:49 - Dec 29 with 1508 viewsClivert

Just seen the goals on SSN and I have to say that it's four goals of the highest quality that we scored today.

I wasn't at the game today so can't offer an answer but if we keep Grimes and can sign Gornell on a permanent basis then we are going to score goals against any League2 defence - just need to sort that back four out then!
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:50 - Dec 29 with 1504 viewsBeefCurtain

I think the 2009 peformance rules the head and heart, owing to the fact that we were absolutely flying at that moment in time.

I think today is one of those performances will get better with age due to the fact that we'll see plenty of good sides get hammered at VP and think wow, our win and performance really was special (especially after losing at Burton).

The difference for me is that the 2009 performance was what we'd come to expect and just felt so routine whereas today was a bit of a turn up for the books but make no mistake about it, we were excellent in every department today.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:56 - Dec 29 with 1476 viewsR17ALE

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:50 - Dec 29 by BeefCurtain

I think the 2009 peformance rules the head and heart, owing to the fact that we were absolutely flying at that moment in time.

I think today is one of those performances will get better with age due to the fact that we'll see plenty of good sides get hammered at VP and think wow, our win and performance really was special (especially after losing at Burton).

The difference for me is that the 2009 performance was what we'd come to expect and just felt so routine whereas today was a bit of a turn up for the books but make no mistake about it, we were excellent in every department today.

And more crucially, the 2009 performance saw us go top!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:00 - Dec 29 with 1455 viewsTalkingSutty

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:50 - Dec 29 by BeefCurtain

I cant agree with that BC, the 2009 performance was exceptional. Today was also very good and hats off to JC because we now have one of the best forward lines in this division.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:00 - Dec 29 with 1455 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 20:49 - Dec 29 by Clivert

Just seen the goals on SSN and I have to say that it's four goals of the highest quality that we scored today.

I wasn't at the game today so can't offer an answer but if we keep Grimes and can sign Gornell on a permanent basis then we are going to score goals against any League2 defence - just need to sort that back four out then!

I think we might make decent money from Grimes now, we can rightly point to the most recent of performances if anyone comes in for him. Selling him for 50k would say a lot about the club, we should be looking for double that at least now.

Of course it means taking a hit in the summer when he can leave for nowt.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:05 - Dec 29 with 1427 viewsClivert

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:00 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

I think we might make decent money from Grimes now, we can rightly point to the most recent of performances if anyone comes in for him. Selling him for 50k would say a lot about the club, we should be looking for double that at least now.

......and historically we don't like risking that.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:07 - Dec 29 with 1419 viewsSuddenLad

Actually, we should be looking to keep him.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:07 - Dec 29 with 1420 viewsColDale

Grimes should also reflect on his current form. From Oct 2011 to Nov 2012, he was a nobody at the club and didn't justify his wage at all. You can argue about being played out of position, but he's hardly in the position that many have argued that we need to play him in.

But all of a sudden, things are clicking into place and he is a vital piece of the jigsaw. It's not been that long since Grimes v Donnelly was a genuine argument. For his own career, he needs to look at putting down some roots rather than repeating the whole process all over again at a new club from the Summer.

Coleman is getting the best out of Grimes. He should continue to let him do so.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:10 - Dec 29 with 1404 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:07 - Dec 29 by ColDale

Grimes should also reflect on his current form. From Oct 2011 to Nov 2012, he was a nobody at the club and didn't justify his wage at all. You can argue about being played out of position, but he's hardly in the position that many have argued that we need to play him in.

But all of a sudden, things are clicking into place and he is a vital piece of the jigsaw. It's not been that long since Grimes v Donnelly was a genuine argument. For his own career, he needs to look at putting down some roots rather than repeating the whole process all over again at a new club from the Summer.

Which would mean being very flexible on his next contract. Struggling to recall a player whose career has turned so sharply over 4 games, before that he was in the press about not getting a regular game.

The position thing is a good point, because I'm not sure he's got one when we have the ball now. Yes, he has a role when the opposition have it, but he's been given the freedom to go pretty much anywhere when we get it back.

Think Peter Beardsley circa 1995.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:12 - Dec 29 with 1394 viewsSaxonDale

Agreed, hopefully the fact that he has a young, settled family will go some way in convincing him to stay.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:13 - Dec 29 with 1387 viewsBeefCurtain

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:00 - Dec 29 by TalkingSutty

I cant agree with that BC, the 2009 performance was exceptional. Today was also very good and hats off to JC because we now have one of the best forward lines in this division.

You can or can't?

I thought it was exceptional too! Better than today IMO but I'm just saying I think due to the nostalgic feel and owing to the fact it took us top (and ultimately where we finished in the league), 2009 will be near the top of a lot of fan's lists.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:14 - Dec 29 with 1382 viewsD_Alien

Absolutely!

The cynics might say that Grimes's recent resurgence is just his way of putting himself in the shop window. If that were to be the case, he has no future as a footballer at any level. Anyone who just turns it on to suit himself is a lost cause.

The more favourable interpretation is that JC is finally squeezing the talent out of him, and as you say Col, in a position that shows he's a genuinely talented footballer, not just a goalscorer.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:19 - Dec 29 with 1369 viewsdingdangblue

Having not gone today either I cant compare. We were exceptional that night back in 2009 - the only thing that dampens the performance was the fact all 3 goals were very much bundled in - but they all count as they say (except Joe Thompsons)! Best performance hands down for me was the pinacle for Keith Hill at Dale as it turned out - beating Southampton 2-0 and going 6th in lge1.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:22 - Dec 29 with 1355 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:14 - Dec 29 by D_Alien

Absolutely!

The cynics might say that Grimes's recent resurgence is just his way of putting himself in the shop window. If that were to be the case, he has no future as a footballer at any level. Anyone who just turns it on to suit himself is a lost cause.

The more favourable interpretation is that JC is finally squeezing the talent out of him, and as you say Col, in a position that shows he's a genuinely talented footballer, not just a goalscorer.

One wise man (not Scott) compared his recent displays to those of Mark Stuart at certain stages of the season.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:36 - Dec 29 with 1311 viewsClivert

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:22 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

One wise man (not Scott) compared his recent displays to those of Mark Stuart at certain stages of the season.

Shame we didn't have a January transfer window back then as we may have got more out of Stuey then?
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:41 - Dec 29 with 1288 viewsR17ALE

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:36 - Dec 29 by Clivert

Shame we didn't have a January transfer window back then as we may have got more out of Stuey then?

I think you've missed the meaning of 442's post through no fault of your own, as you probably aren't old enough to remember him playing in the early 1990's.

He had a habit of improving his game prior to his contract expiring! Lets just leave it at that!!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:42 - Dec 29 with 1279 viewsTalkingSutty

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:13 - Dec 29 by BeefCurtain

You can or can't?

I thought it was exceptional too! Better than today IMO but I'm just saying I think due to the nostalgic feel and owing to the fact it took us top (and ultimately where we finished in the league), 2009 will be near the top of a lot of fan's lists.

I thought the 2009 display was a alround better performance but having said that we had a better team at that particular time. Its not really a fair comparison because at the moment our defence is a absolute shambles, todays performance cant diguise that fact.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:43 - Dec 29 with 1272 viewsClivert

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:41 - Dec 29 by R17ALE

I think you've missed the meaning of 442's post through no fault of your own, as you probably aren't old enough to remember him playing in the early 1990's.

He had a habit of improving his game prior to his contract expiring! Lets just leave it at that!!

Oh I do and it's a question I ask of him many a time, I'm yet to get an answer!

He usually mumbles something about his free kick Vs Preston.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:44 - Dec 29 with 1262 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:42 - Dec 29 by TalkingSutty

I thought the 2009 display was a alround better performance but having said that we had a better team at that particular time. Its not really a fair comparison because at the moment our defence is a absolute shambles, todays performance cant diguise that fact.

Imagine that defence with Dawson in it, or even Stanton. At times they just need some bloody leadership.

Phil Edwards has been much better at centre half but he hasn't improved the overall organisation.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 1225 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:43 - Dec 29 by Clivert

Oh I do and it's a question I ask of him many a time, I'm yet to get an answer!

He usually mumbles something about his free kick Vs Preston.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Tell him he scored that at least two months too early!

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 1224 viewsTalkingSutty

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:44 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

Imagine that defence with Dawson in it, or even Stanton. At times they just need some bloody leadership.

Phil Edwards has been much better at centre half but he hasn't improved the overall organisation.

Can we have overlapping fullbacks as well 442 ? None of our current defenders would get anywhere near the team of 2009 in fact they would be lucky to even get a place on the bench.

Bennett shows good potential and Rafferty is just a young kid starting out but none of them are doing themselves any favours at the moment,its a shame because the midfield and forwards are more than decent at this level.
Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:53 - Dec 29 with 1220 viewsBartRowou

1. Don't forget Bradford were an absolute shambles that night. I seem to remember their keeper gifting us at least one of their goals. Our zenith; their nadir.

2. It occurred to me today that some Bradford fans will have missed the FA Cup match and will only have seen Dale in 2009 and today. They must think we're ace!

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:55 - Dec 29 with 1213 views442Dale

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:51 - Dec 29 by TalkingSutty

Can we have overlapping fullbacks as well 442 ? None of our current defenders would get anywhere near the team of 2009 in fact they would be lucky to even get a place on the bench.

Bennett shows good potential and Rafferty is just a young kid starting out but none of them are doing themselves any favours at the moment,its a shame because the midfield and forwards are more than decent at this level.

Tom Kennedy's current situation really needs to be looked at. McIntyre needs a rest, and he could be an option in midfield if others leave.

I've almost given up on the fullbacks as an attacking option now. Make them all stand in a line and leave the rest to get on with it.

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:58 - Dec 29 with 1193 viewsTalkingSutty

Today v. 1st Dec 2009 on 21:55 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

Tom Kennedy's current situation really needs to be looked at. McIntyre needs a rest, and he could be an option in midfield if others leave.

I've almost given up on the fullbacks as an attacking option now. Make them all stand in a line and leave the rest to get on with it.

Agree, just concentrating on the basics of defending week in week out without making stupid mistakes would be a start.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024