Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Future Of The Club. 15:36 - Jan 8 with 3966 viewsBeefCurtain

1. Where do you realistically see us in 10 years time?

2. What would you be happy with? i.e how many promotions, relegations, cup runs etc?

3. Do you honestly see us ever establishing ourselves (i.e 5 years+) in a higher division than the one we're in?

I ask these questions because I'm becoming disillusioned with some of the posts and threads on here at the moment. We are a small club at this level and some people don't seem to realise this. I personally think there's more chance of us being a stable Conference side than a stable League 1 side but perhaps that's just the pessimist in me trying to get out.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

The Future Of The Club. on 15:46 - Jan 8 with 3058 viewslurker

Recent history shows that we have the potential to be a decent L1 side, with the right management and playing staff. This is what we should aim to achieve in the long term. Anything else is below the benchmark!
The Future Of The Club. on 16:00 - Jan 8 with 3012 viewsRAFC1907

The Future Of The Club. on 15:46 - Jan 8 by lurker

Recent history shows that we have the potential to be a decent L1 side, with the right management and playing staff. This is what we should aim to achieve in the long term. Anything else is below the benchmark!

good post, but we are talking about Rochdale so im going to say we will be in Chesters league

Poll: Bottomley...

The Future Of The Club. on 16:05 - Jan 8 with 3002 viewsaleanddale

This is a decent thread.

One that i wouuld be interested to see the response too.

Myself personally i would be happy to be a league club ( the reality is this is most likely to be lg2 ) or whatever it is rebranded to by then - Premiership 4 or whatever.

You are 100% correct in saying that we are more likely to be a mid table conference club than a mid table 3rd tier one. The reality is with sub 2000 home fans we punch above our weight whenever we climb higher than 12 in lg2.

Money talks - end of. We have very little disposable money and need to be astute in the running of the club on and off the field.

If we can survive and compete in the football league- have the odd cup run and finish in or around the playoffs most seasons then i could live with that if this was accompanied with the following.

1. Attacking football thats exciting to watch.
2. A team that looks like its bursting with pride when they walk out of the tunnel
3. A team thats committed - hard but fair and sporting and has an exemplory dicaplinary record
4. Developmemt of local youth and them given the chance to shine in the first team.
5. The occassional cup run that we look like we are taking it seriously
6. The club being more professional off the field ( done to death re. Marketing ) a published 7 year plan that can be shared by the fans.

30 years watching dale - 25 of them quite poor but it was perversly enjoyable being a Dale fan. Then we had Hillcroft, a series of events that probably we will never see again. We were the best team in league 2 for 40+ games. A culmination of 5 years of progression. To finish 9th or 10th in league 1 in our first season looking back was remarkable really.We are in transition, it will take time to stabilise the ship.

Dont get me wrong i dont want to accept second best. The reality is being a Dale fan is VERY different from being a United or City supporter. Its in our DNA to hope for the best but expect the worse. This is a critical 18 / 24 months for the club. The difficulty for those who cant stomach a scrap is we might have a few more dark days before we see any light at the end of the tunnel.

What we need is the supporters to support. Team Rochdale. Fight in adversity and stick together. Lets show some faith in CD and JC and at least get through til May.

Up the Dale.
The Future Of The Club. on 16:34 - Jan 8 with 2936 viewsHarry_Dale

The Future Of The Club. on 16:05 - Jan 8 by aleanddale

This is a decent thread.

Myself personally i would be happy to be a league club ( the reality is this is most likely to be lg2 ) or whatever it is rebranded to by then - Premiership 4 or whatever.

You are 100% correct in saying that we are more likely to be a mid table conference club than a mid table 3rd tier one. The reality is with sub 2000 home fans we punch above our weight whenever we climb higher than 12 in lg2.

Money talks - end of. We have very little disposable money and need to be astute in the running of the club on and off the field.

If we can survive and compete in the football league- have the odd cup run and finish in or around the playoffs most seasons then i could live with that if this was accompanied with the following.

2. A team that looks like its bursting with pride when they walk out of the tunnel
3. A team thats committed - hard but fair and sporting and has an exemplory dicaplinary record
4. Developmemt of local youth and them given the chance to shine in the first team.
6. The club being more professional off the field ( done to death re. Marketing ) a published 7 year plan that can be shared by the fans.

30 years watching dale - 25 of them quite poor but it was perversly enjoyable being a Dale fan. Then we had Hillcroft, a series of events that probably we will never see again. We were the best team in league 2 for 40+ games. A culmination of 5 years of progression. To finish 9th or 10th in league 1 in our first season looking back was remarkable really.We are in transition, it will take time to stabilise the ship.

Dont get me wrong i dont want to accept second best. The reality is being a Dale fan is VERY different from being a United or City supporter. Its in our DNA to hope for the best but expect the worse. This is a critical 18 / 24 months for the club. The difficulty for those who cant stomach a scrap is we might have a few more dark days before we see any light at the end of the tunnel.

What we need is the supporters to support. Team Rochdale. Fight in adversity and stick together. Lets show some faith in CD and JC and at least get through til May.

Up the Dale.

One of the best, level-headed posts I've seen on here in a long time!

I'm Coleman in - but agree the club need to do more!

Up the Dale!
The Future Of The Club. on 16:55 - Jan 8 with 2889 viewsAtThePeake

I want to see us win a trophy. Be that the BSP, League Two, or the JPT.

106 years without a trophy is embarrassing.

Tangled up in blue.

The Future Of The Club. on 17:00 - Jan 8 with 2879 viewsDale_Pea

I can see us going back up inside the next three seasons, and depending on how we deal with promotion the next time around, maybe establishing ourselves in League One. Maybe.

Best buddy of' Irish_rafc' xox

The Future Of The Club. on 17:10 - Jan 8 with 2865 viewselectricblue

Exactly my sentiments...
Lets face it dale did it with a youth team coach at the helm...
I would like to see Dale back within 2 seasons.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The Future Of The Club. on 17:10 - Jan 8 with 2866 viewsSandyman

This.
Login to get fewer ads

The Future Of The Club. on 17:13 - Jan 8 with 2858 viewsolympicdale

I dont see any reason why we cant get back up to l1, however I feel this may need to happen within the next 2/3 years, or we risk getting pulled back into the l2 mindset. Fans I think, would be happy to see us bouncing from l2/l1 instead of standing still as we've done for 40 odd years.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

The Future Of The Club. on 17:18 - Jan 8 with 2843 viewsBeefCurtain

OK. So playing devil's advocate here, do we have the right man in charge considering Coleman doesn't have any experience of managing in the higher divisions (aside from last year of course) and who also has never had a team promoted within the Football League? Also, if we did go up with Coleman in charge, does he have the right experience and credentials to keep us there, considering his 'contacts' may only be successful at League Two level and below?

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

The Future Of The Club. on 17:20 - Jan 8 with 2833 viewsYouTubeDale

Very good post aleanddale. I agree with you. You can also add that Coleman needs to stop shouting at the fans even though he may be provoked and he certainly shouldn't be using swear words as our leader. Also, leave off the officials.

Yes, we are a realistic bunch of fans in the main. We are not asking the earth but you sum up my expectations.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The Future Of The Club. on 17:30 - Jan 8 with 2803 views49thseason

The Future Of The Club. on 17:20 - Jan 8 by YouTubeDale

Very good post aleanddale. I agree with you. You can also add that Coleman needs to stop shouting at the fans even though he may be provoked and he certainly shouldn't be using swear words as our leader. Also, leave off the officials.

Yes, we are a realistic bunch of fans in the main. We are not asking the earth but you sum up my expectations.

I think your point about being a leader is a good on YTD. At least with Hilly there was always newsflow, an indication of what the plan was. Coleman by comparison is a silent partner, We need to believe in him and what he is about, its hard when all we get is comments in the Ob about the last game.
The Future Of The Club. on 17:35 - Jan 8 with 2793 viewsjustanillusion

great post aleanddale

I yearn for a good cup run and the positives it would bring to cash strapped Dale!

Watching how well Bradford have done in the Capital One cup this season and how much revenue it has earned the club and also how many Supporters they have gained as a result will ensure Bradford remain solvent in coming seasons and have finances to reinvest in the playing squad.
Neighbours Oldham have a plum F.A cup tie at home to Liverpool that will give them a similiar boost.
Being dumped out of cups by Forest Green, Luton, Aldershot, FCUM and Morecambe has really hurt in recent seasons !
The Future Of The Club. on 18:06 - Jan 8 with 2743 viewssweetcorn

The Future Of The Club. on 17:35 - Jan 8 by justanillusion

great post aleanddale

I yearn for a good cup run and the positives it would bring to cash strapped Dale!

Watching how well Bradford have done in the Capital One cup this season and how much revenue it has earned the club and also how many Supporters they have gained as a result will ensure Bradford remain solvent in coming seasons and have finances to reinvest in the playing squad.
Neighbours Oldham have a plum F.A cup tie at home to Liverpool that will give them a similiar boost.
Being dumped out of cups by Forest Green, Luton, Aldershot, FCUM and Morecambe has really hurt in recent seasons !

Admittedly we haven't helped ourselves in recent times with cup runs getting dumped out by very much 'lesser' sides.

But to be fair, our luck in the cups are very poor, if you look at our last 3 'runs' we've never really got a plum of a draw. In 'that' run back in 2003 we didn't really get a good draw getting preston, coventry and wolves, 3 uninspiring ties. Then the 3rd round tip to the valley, again its a trip which is unlikely to raise high amounts of cash, but almost certain to be dispatched of. And then last season, we beat premier league QPR in round two of the Carling cup, only to be rewarded with aldershot away.

When will we get our tie!

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

The Future Of The Club. on 18:14 - Jan 8 with 2734 viewsDaley_Lama

Rather than 'where will we be' - how about 'where will football be?'

With the plethera of clubs going bust, will League 2 be semi-pro in ten years?

Will we be a feeder club?

Will China become the powerhouse of football and TV money evaporate from overseas buyers? (Asia, mainly)

Will 99% of the population only give a damn about 6 clubs playing in Euro leagues?

Poll: DF in or out

The Future Of The Club. on 18:22 - Jan 8 with 2717 viewsolympicdale

The Future Of The Club. on 18:14 - Jan 8 by Daley_Lama

Rather than 'where will we be' - how about 'where will football be?'

With the plethera of clubs going bust, will League 2 be semi-pro in ten years?

Will we be a feeder club?

Will China become the powerhouse of football and TV money evaporate from overseas buyers? (Asia, mainly)

Will 99% of the population only give a damn about 6 clubs playing in Euro leagues?

it was only a few years back I said that in 10 years all premierleague clubs will be foreign owned, most of them are well on track. Football needs to be careful, it is unsustainable what's happening at the top level, and it will ripple down the leagues very quickly, FFP is one area they're looking to control it, but whether it is the answer, time will tell.

Life is a game of fate.

The Future Of The Club. on 18:47 - Jan 8 with 2686 viewsTalkingSutty

The Future Of The Club. on 16:05 - Jan 8 by aleanddale

This is a decent thread.

Up the Dale.

Well done Ale and Dale, my exact sentiments. Great post.
The Future Of The Club. on 18:51 - Jan 8 with 2676 viewsdingdangblue

The Future Of The Club. on 17:00 - Jan 8 by Dale_Pea

I can see us going back up inside the next three seasons, and depending on how we deal with promotion the next time around, maybe establishing ourselves in League One. Maybe.

I'm all for being positive but how many teams with our poor crowds,lack of resources are established league 1 clubs? Whether Hilly was a genius or the luckiest manager we've ever had I do not know but I do know the chances of it happening again so soon are very unlikely.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Future Of The Club. on 18:56 - Jan 8 with 2660 viewsdavidab2202

Probably still ploughing a furrow though the bottom division,having some good days but possibly more bad days.The problem being that without bigger gates the club will always struggle to attract the better players whatever level we operate at.Even should the unthinkable happen we would still have B.S.P teams with bigger budgets then us.From a personal point of view(60years since I started going to Spotland)--just hoping I'm still around to enjoy whatever is on show at a game and it hasn't all ended for me just yet in a few tears and the odd puff of smoke not a million miles from the DALE!!!!!
The Future Of The Club. on 20:01 - Jan 8 with 2598 viewsTVOS1907

The Future Of The Club. on 18:06 - Jan 8 by sweetcorn

Admittedly we haven't helped ourselves in recent times with cup runs getting dumped out by very much 'lesser' sides.

But to be fair, our luck in the cups are very poor, if you look at our last 3 'runs' we've never really got a plum of a draw. In 'that' run back in 2003 we didn't really get a good draw getting preston, coventry and wolves, 3 uninspiring ties. Then the 3rd round tip to the valley, again its a trip which is unlikely to raise high amounts of cash, but almost certain to be dispatched of. And then last season, we beat premier league QPR in round two of the Carling cup, only to be rewarded with aldershot away.

When will we get our tie!

Law of averages.

We've reached round three of the FA Cup only five times since 1986. On two of those occasions, we've drawn Man United away and Liverpool away.

If we got through more often, the chance of better ties is more likely.

It's true we were unlucky with the draws when we reached round five in 1989/90 and 2002/03, but at least we had an outside chance of getting through with those.

Again, the League Cup draw wasn't kind to us last season, but we didn't help ourselves by then losing to Aldershot.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Future Of The Club. on 23:03 - Jan 8 with 2512 viewsDomDale

Not fantastically ambitious or stable, but I see us being a bit of a yo-yo club A-la Wycombe. Lg2, Lg1, Lg2, Lg2, Lg1, Lg2,Lg1... Repeat

Could be a good laugh

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

The Future Of The Club. on 23:11 - Jan 8 with 2502 views442Dale

The Future Of The Club. on 20:01 - Jan 8 by TVOS1907

Law of averages.

We've reached round three of the FA Cup only five times since 1986. On two of those occasions, we've drawn Man United away and Liverpool away.

If we got through more often, the chance of better ties is more likely.

It's true we were unlucky with the draws when we reached round five in 1989/90 and 2002/03, but at least we had an outside chance of getting through with those.

Again, the League Cup draw wasn't kind to us last season, but we didn't help ourselves by then losing to Aldershot.

And Liverpool was a pretty rubbish day whereas Palace wasn't.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Future Of The Club. on 23:13 - Jan 8 with 2499 viewsolympicdale

The Future Of The Club. on 23:03 - Jan 8 by DomDale

Not fantastically ambitious or stable, but I see us being a bit of a yo-yo club A-la Wycombe. Lg2, Lg1, Lg2, Lg2, Lg1, Lg2,Lg1... Repeat

Could be a good laugh

I'd take that, at least we'd be moving instead of standing still.

Life is a game of fate.

The Future Of The Club. on 00:29 - Jan 9 with 2473 viewssweetcorn

The Future Of The Club. on 23:13 - Jan 8 by olympicdale

I'd take that, at least we'd be moving instead of standing still.

But last season was one of my most miserable supporting rochdale. knowing that we weren't going to win week in, week out. Not sure I could stomach so many relegations close together and if i can't god knows what those of us who are moaning now would be like.

At least you don't know what you're going to get with this team.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

The Future Of The Club. on 00:35 - Jan 9 with 2467 viewsolympicdale

The Future Of The Club. on 00:29 - Jan 9 by sweetcorn

But last season was one of my most miserable supporting rochdale. knowing that we weren't going to win week in, week out. Not sure I could stomach so many relegations close together and if i can't god knows what those of us who are moaning now would be like.

At least you don't know what you're going to get with this team.

I know what you mean, but Id prefer that we at least would have had a few promotions, and whos to say after a while we couldnt stay up there, Id take the chance if given it.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024