Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? 08:57 - May 13 with 8471 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:06 - May 13 with 1725 viewsBanosswan

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:49 - May 13 by raynor94

What a daft generalisation, if the format was like the old days of knock out over two legs great, but this group business is a waste of space, plus the pre season tour would have to be knocked on the head

I think qualifying through league position means we would either enter at the play off or group stage (depending who wins fa cup?). That means we won't start until at least mid August, which is well after the tour and means we play at least six? less games than last time.

This is my understanding of it anyway, may be complete bull.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:32 - May 13 with 1676 viewsshandyjack

end of July we would enter it. 3/4 more players and the youth team and we'll have a squad comfortably able to compete on all fronts including europa. would you rather finish 8th next season or 11/12th with a europa run on top.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:33 - May 13 with 1674 viewssnork44

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:31 - May 13 by C_jack

Myth.. Laudrup had a squad of near 30 players.

The opinion seems to be that we can't win it, so what's the point. Well bloody hell, we might as well go back to League One then.

Not really a myth as Laudrup had a nucleus of about 22 to 23 players and the rest were either youth players or players like Tatey who would never get a game even if half of the squad came down with Alabama Swamp Fever!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:39 - May 13 with 1666 viewsshandyjack

gk - Fabianski , Another
rb - Naughts, Rangel, Dwight
Lb - Taylor, another, Dwight
ch - Ash,Fed,Amat,Barts,
CM - Ki, Britts,Cork, JJS,Grimes,Fulton
AM - Gylfi, Michu???, another
Wingers, Routs,Dyer,Jeff,Barrow , another
CF - Gomis, 2 others

is we filled all the another places i think we'd have more than enough to compete comfortably on all fronts. Lots of rotation available plus a few U21's that could be called up should they be needed i.e Sheehan, Gorre etc

Poll: Expectation for the season

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:40 - May 13 with 1662 viewsC_jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:33 - May 13 by snork44

Not really a myth as Laudrup had a nucleus of about 22 to 23 players and the rest were either youth players or players like Tatey who would never get a game even if half of the squad came down with Alabama Swamp Fever!

Irrelevant. The squad size/depth was there, the overall quality is another argument altogether.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:51 - May 13 with 1646 viewsC_jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:49 - May 13 by raynor94

What a daft generalisation, if the format was like the old days of knock out over two legs great, but this group business is a waste of space, plus the pre season tour would have to be knocked on the head

What's the difference between the two? The old favourites of the cynics will still exist, travel, fatigue etc

The problem with the EL is the parachuting of teams from the Champions League, which adds more rounds to the competition, unnecessarily.

Only our support could hold a mentality that we'd sacrifice European competition to come 17th in the league. Take a moment to think how backwards that thinking is.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:53 - May 13 with 1644 viewsswanduck

Yes please! Even if I will be in China for the campaign :(
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 18:42 - May 13 with 1585 viewsOldjack

no ,give me the fa cupppppppppp or LC any day of the week ,we've simple not got enough strength in depth to cope with Europe atm , and bang goes our Saturday games

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Login to get fewer ads

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 19:17 - May 13 with 1558 viewspencoedjack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 15:39 - May 13 by shandyjack

gk - Fabianski , Another
rb - Naughts, Rangel, Dwight
Lb - Taylor, another, Dwight
ch - Ash,Fed,Amat,Barts,
CM - Ki, Britts,Cork, JJS,Grimes,Fulton
AM - Gylfi, Michu???, another
Wingers, Routs,Dyer,Jeff,Barrow , another
CF - Gomis, 2 others

is we filled all the another places i think we'd have more than enough to compete comfortably on all fronts. Lots of rotation available plus a few U21's that could be called up should they be needed i.e Sheehan, Gorre etc

Plus we would be keeping the squad happy.

Be a lot of p issed of players not getting game time till after Xmas if we just have PL

I am convinced those who don't want European football do not travel to away games
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 00:03 - May 14 with 1498 viewsJJJack

BYHOFS all over this thread. Embarrassing and ridiculous to suggest that even with the current squad , let alone additions,we'd suddenly become relegation fodder. An obvious "yes".
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 01:06 - May 14 with 1479 viewsSwansNZ

Yes any day of the week (including Thursday and Sunday).

The Europa “can” affect the league performances, then again, maybe it would not. Whatever, I’m sure we’d be comfortable in mid-table, even with a few poor results following Europa.

“I’d rather win the FA cup or League Cup” — FFS, again, it does not have to be one or the other, plus — that also means we'd qualify for the dreaded Europa.

“I’d rather try and push on for a Champions League place” - FFS, get real. So we can’t cope with Europa, but the Champions League — bring it on? Maybe, just maybe, the Europa could attract the quality of player to enable us to push on — like Bony?

The dates for Europa 1st games are…

3rd Qualify round — 6th/7th place team - 30/7
play-off round - 5th/6th placed team - 20/8
group — FA winners/5th placed team — 17/9

The Premier League starts on 8th August.

Let’s just try and do the best we can — hopefully that will be 6th and a spot in the Europa.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 06:47 - May 14 with 1452 viewsjack247

I think people seriously underestimate how far we have come in the last couple of years. We were pretty much safe by Christmas this season. I don't disagree that playing Thursday/Sunday games is likely to cost us a few points, but honestly can't see us finishing anywhere near the bottom three.

From the teams below us, I think Everton have had a particularly bad season and may be stronger next year, other than that we are genuinely better than all of them IMO and will be better than the three that come up.

I'd much rather finish 12th and have a European adventure than finish 8th and spend the last few weeks of the season hoping we don't pick up too many points.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 06:55 - May 14 with 1449 viewsraynor94

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 06:47 - May 14 by jack247

I think people seriously underestimate how far we have come in the last couple of years. We were pretty much safe by Christmas this season. I don't disagree that playing Thursday/Sunday games is likely to cost us a few points, but honestly can't see us finishing anywhere near the bottom three.

From the teams below us, I think Everton have had a particularly bad season and may be stronger next year, other than that we are genuinely better than all of them IMO and will be better than the three that come up.

I'd much rather finish 12th and have a European adventure than finish 8th and spend the last few weeks of the season hoping we don't pick up too many points.

Any particular reason Eveerton had a bad season?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:07 - May 14 with 1439 viewsjack247

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 06:55 - May 14 by raynor94

He will probably get them relegated next year then get headhunted by Barcelona
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:09 - May 14 with 1436 viewsraynor94

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:07 - May 14 by jack247

He will probably get them relegated next year then get headhunted by Barcelona

I meant because they had played in the Europa league

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:19 - May 14 with 1342 viewsjack247

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:09 - May 14 by raynor94

It's because their manager was fantastic up until the Premier League, but has been found to be defensively suspect since he got there.

Turned Wigan from a solid lower mid table team (under Steve Bruce) into relegation candidates almost immediately and eventually took them down. Can't argue with winning the FA cup though.

Secured one of Evertons best finishes of recent times last year by keeping David Moyes' mean defence and adding some of his own trademark creativity and flair going forward. This season, as he has put more of his stamp on the team, they have just crumbled at the back. If he can sort that out, they will be strong again, but he is just too open in his approach and it gets picked apart at this level.

As I said above, I don't doubt it will cost us a few points, just not enough to make us relegation candidates.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:34 - May 14 with 1332 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The opinion seems to be that we can't win it, so what's the point. Well bloody hell, we might as well go back to League One then.

That's twice in this thread you've had me applauding your posts. Couldn't agree more!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:47 - May 14 with 1323 viewsjack247

I don't even see that we can't win it. Yes, it will take a lot of good fortune, but we are talking about a team that would have finished in the top 7 of the hardest league in the world and done league doubles over Man U and Arsenal. We played two very good teams in Valencia and Napoli last time and neither embarrassed us.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:47 - May 14 with 1323 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Correct but the quality of a few of them left a lot to be desired . It was all his doing as he bought in the players but he went into negative mindset from the off saying we needed to spend much more money to progress. Garry has put that argument to bed quite emphatically this season.

While I was watching the Arsenal game I was thinking to myself that the way we were playing would see us well in the Europa League against any kind of opposition. The big boost we will get this year is a much better standard of player wanting to come here (like Bony did) with the lure of Eurpean football , and some of those could be got on a Bosman so it may not cost us the earth for a back up keeper, left back and a spare midfielder. Where we should spend is on another top quality winger and of course a Mitrovic style CF. Saying that i wouldn't turn down a move for Charlie Austin as I think he'd be great for us.

As for the other competitions (specifically the league cup) I'd give some of our under 21's their chance and see how they go. Great if the develop and progress but no disaster if we got knocked out.

So Europa League gets a big yes from me. And Leanne Wood.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:50 - May 14 with 1317 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 07:09 - May 14 by raynor94

Another reason was their injury list prior to the start of the season. And as a club they are brassic

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:25 - May 14 with 1290 viewsNeath_Jack

Our Results after playing in Europa, make of it what you will.

As for the poll, a mahoosive yes from me drive.

8th Aug
Malmo 0 - 0 Swansea
17th Aug
Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd (Would this result have been any different, i doubt it)

22nd Aug
Swansea 5 - 1 Petrolul Ploiesti
25th Aug
Tottenham 1 - 0 Swansea (Again, wouldn't have made a difference imo)

29th Aug
Petrolul Ploiesti 2 - 1 Swansea
1st Sep
West Brom 0 - 2 Swansea

19th Sep
Valencia 0 - 3 Swansea
22nd Sep
C Palace 0 - 2 Swansea

3rd Oct
Swansea 1 - 0 St Gallen
6th Oct
Southampton 2 - 0 Swansea

24th Oct
Swansea 1 - 1 Kuban K
27th Oct
Swansea 0 - 0 West Ham

7th Nov
Kuban K 1 - 1 Swansea
10th Nov
Swansea 3 - 3 Stoke

28th Nov
Swansea 0 - 1 Valencia
1st Dec
Man City 3 - 0 Swansea

12th Dec
St Gallen 1 - 0 Swansea
15th Dec
Norwich 1 - 1 Swansea

20th Feb
Swansea 0 - 0 Napoli
23rd Feb
Liverpool 4 - 3 Swansea

27th Feb
Napoli 3 - 1 Swansea
2nd Mar
Swansea 1 - 1 C Palace

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:39 - May 14 with 1277 viewsDewi1jack

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 06:55 - May 14 by raynor94

Could it be because a certain management team, took a very strong, disciplined defence and taught them to defend the pre Sousa/ Wigan way?
You know, score more than the Opposition can.
Not always a good idea, when the defences against you are, on the whole, better than they were in the Championship/ L1

Everton under Moyes's last season; won 16 ;Goals against 40, lost 7
Martinez first season, won 21; goals against 39, lost 8. Defensively strong, better going forward
This season, won 11; shipped 48, lost 14 with 2 to go.

Losing 10 games extra can't purely be put down to the EL.
Fuk me, even we managed to beat Everton, albeit in the cup. But then again, that's how we got our 1st win at the theatre of OUR dreams.
Then we pushed on this season and deservedly beat United twice. And without spending in the region of £250 million on new players, or having a listed squad value of $3,104 million (£ 1,966,492,360:64- thanks Google!) according to the Forbes rich list
Our squad has a rough valuation on transfermarkt of under £91 million.
Everton on the same site are valued at nearly £158 million.
See how Martinez does next season (if he's still there,) and how many Everton ship.

Meanwhile, why have people given up on 6th?
Do you not want us to finish as high as we possibly can? Would that not make you proud to follow us, no matter what happens? Would you not turn up if we were relegated and shopping with the other half is frightening you?
I understand the worries about relegation (money, not seeing your favourite teams lose to us etc) and we are always going to be one of the clubs who have a first target as the magic 40pts.
But come on.
2 games left. We can finish 6th- the same position we finished under Tosh in our 1st season at the top table.
Be loud. Be proud. Sing your hearts out for the last 2 games.
We have proved we can beat anybody

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:55 - May 14 with 1268 viewsUxbridge

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 14:25 - May 13 by raynor94

Ask any fans of the English teams who have qualified and it will be a resounding negative response, it's great for jolly boys outings, but it don't half affect the players

You say that like it's a bad thing. I rather enjoyed my jolly boys outings to Malmo, Valencia and St Gallen.

I've seen a few mentions about how next season is so important and we can't have things messing with that. Well, isn't it always? Who knows, we might get relegated next season anyway ... I'd rather have the memories of superb occasions against some of Europe's finest than treading water.

We're fans. Just what is the point of us being in the Premier League if we can't enjoy the benefits of it?

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:05 - May 14 with 1256 viewsWhiterockin

Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 08:25 - May 14 by Neath_Jack

Our Results after playing in Europa, make of it what you will.

As for the poll, a mahoosive yes from me drive.

8th Aug
Malmo 0 - 0 Swansea
17th Aug
Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd (Would this result have been any different, i doubt it)

22nd Aug
Swansea 5 - 1 Petrolul Ploiesti
25th Aug
Tottenham 1 - 0 Swansea (Again, wouldn't have made a difference imo)

29th Aug
Petrolul Ploiesti 2 - 1 Swansea
1st Sep
West Brom 0 - 2 Swansea

19th Sep
Valencia 0 - 3 Swansea
22nd Sep
C Palace 0 - 2 Swansea

3rd Oct
Swansea 1 - 0 St Gallen
6th Oct
Southampton 2 - 0 Swansea

24th Oct
Swansea 1 - 1 Kuban K
27th Oct
Swansea 0 - 0 West Ham

7th Nov
Kuban K 1 - 1 Swansea
10th Nov
Swansea 3 - 3 Stoke

28th Nov
Swansea 0 - 1 Valencia
1st Dec
Man City 3 - 0 Swansea

12th Dec
St Gallen 1 - 0 Swansea
15th Dec
Norwich 1 - 1 Swansea

20th Feb
Swansea 0 - 0 Napoli
23rd Feb
Liverpool 4 - 3 Swansea

27th Feb
Napoli 3 - 1 Swansea
2nd Mar
Swansea 1 - 1 C Palace

So fixtures directly after European ties.

Won 2
Drawn 3
Lost 5

With no wins after the middle of September you could argue that the squad then started to tire.

Lets face it, there are arguments for both sides. Just how much of the supporters siding on Europe are doing it for self satisfaction of an away trip and not necessary what is best for the long term future of the club.
Do you want us to qualify for Europe this season? on 09:12 - May 14 with 1250 viewsjack247

Who were the last team to play in the Europa league and get relegated the same season? If any? Were Newcastle or Leeds in it the seasons they went down?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024