Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPRs Profile in Malaysia 13:34 - Mar 28 with 2427 viewsonlyrinmoray

After reading how Leicesters profile has miraculously been raised in Thailand, its on the BBC site (nothing to do with them being top of the league obviously) They are though sponsored by King Power Thailands biggest sea food company to be fair. I wondered if any Malaysian based Rs could tell me if there is any increase in our profile out there thanks to Air Asia and TF. Shirts in the shops and markets etc.Bars full on match days etc.
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 13:43 - Mar 28 with 2415 viewsizlingtonhoop

I truly thought it was a betting company!

The power (no pun intended) of advertising on a premier league shirt? Certain people (in this case me) assume it's betting (by association with the others) unless they know otherwise.

As I remember barely anyone knew what Zoopla was until Anelka upset them...

Edit: research informs me they are a travel company. Where d'you get the seafood idea from?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 13:52]
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 13:54 - Mar 28 with 2390 viewsTacticalR

I thought that these days we were more worried about conquering Shepherd's Bush than Malaysia?

I did like the picture of the jet-setting monk in the BBC article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35900042

Air hostess clique

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 14:16 - Mar 28 with 2361 viewsthairanger

King Power control all duty free at all Thailand's airports.Among other interests i am led to believe current C.E.O is ex Senior Thai Army.
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 14:28 - Mar 28 with 2341 viewstimcocking

King Power is a huge Thai company. So now, you see Leicester City shops everywhere you go, like you see United shops in England. And, obviously, they're top of the league. I've yet to actually see any Thais wearing Leicester shirts, but no doubt there will be a few will because they're going so well. I mean, it is astounding.

By far the majority of Thais will always support Liverpool for some reason. The rest of them United or Arsenal or Chelsea. Proves my point about people who don't actually attend games growing up tending to support the winning teams. But they've been loyal to Liverpool for years, so if we could just get a few on our side...

They certainly absolutely English football over here.

Rangers do have a slightly raised profile in Malaysia, and had we stayed up, that would have grown further. Only really a tiny bit I reckon though. To all intents and purposes, not really. I think I remember seeing a QPR shirt out this way like once, maybe twice. QPR have like a small page right at the back of the in flight magazine in air asia, but we're always there, I check.

People in asia have heard of us now; they hadn't heard of us 5 years ago.
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 14:30 - Mar 28 with 2332 viewsonlyrinmoray

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 13:43 - Mar 28 by izlingtonhoop

I truly thought it was a betting company!

The power (no pun intended) of advertising on a premier league shirt? Certain people (in this case me) assume it's betting (by association with the others) unless they know otherwise.

As I remember barely anyone knew what Zoopla was until Anelka upset them...

Edit: research informs me they are a travel company. Where d'you get the seafood idea from?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 13:52]

My apologies I think its Sheff Weds Thai owners are the sea food people Easy mistake !
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 14:32 - Mar 28 with 2326 viewstimcocking

Typically, they think we're not a very good team...

"Mai dee loi" which means very no good.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 14:33]
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 15:35 - Mar 28 with 2245 viewshopphoops

Top countries for official QPR Facebook likery:
http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/qpr-top-10-facebook-countries-3022545.aspx

Probably mainly Tony's nan in Malaysia though.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 15:53 - Mar 28 with 2216 viewsBrightonhoop

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 15:35 - Mar 28 by hopphoops

Top countries for official QPR Facebook likery:
http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/qpr-top-10-facebook-countries-3022545.aspx

Probably mainly Tony's nan in Malaysia though.

Shouldn't trust facebook likes, too many have been bought, ask George Osborne lol. I'd be very suprised if we had more support in Morocco than Ireland for example.
Login to get fewer ads

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 16:32 - Mar 28 with 2164 viewsTacticalR

Incidentally, the BBC article does mention that the Leicester club shop in central Bangkok was closed at the end of last year.

So, it seems all you have to do to raise your profile is to be top of the Premiership. How hard can it be?

Air hostess clique

QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 17:44 - Mar 28 with 2072 viewsMelakaRanger

I lived in Malaysia for 8 years coming back 18 months ago.

Until TF took over QPR the club was unknown within Malaysia. As soon as the take over took place there was initailly a lot of hype regarding QPR. For instance the national breakfast show adopted QPR as 'their team' and there were daily discussions during the breakfast show about QPR, the team, the players, results etc. Likewise the two national papers always reported the QPR matches with as much coverage as Liverpool, Man U etc.

Knock off QPR shirts were in all the Night Markets alongside all the other 'top team' knock offs. And indeed you started to see a QPR shirts being warn by locals.

But over just a few months, as we were shown to be a poor team and the wins were few and far between the general interest in QPR waned quickly in both the press and the radio.

We survived the season, just, but by the time I went to the exhibition match in KL there was little interest in tickets for the match. I paid for mine but when I got there I found out that they had given away thousands of tickets to people who just turned up.

Malaysians are well known for turning up for anything thats free. Tickets/Food/Drink you name it they take it!

But by the start of the 2nd season of TFs ownership the interest in QPR within Malaysia had fallen off a cliff. You could still find knock off shirts in the Night Markets but not as often. By the time we were relageted you never heard of QPR on the radio and the press gave little coverage at all to our matches.

Curiously every game was on TV though but then again every premiership game is live on Pay TV in Malaysia!!

Once in the Championship you really never heard about QPR at all and even after the Play Off win we remained of little interest to 'Malaysians'. By then you couldn't even get QPR knock off shirts anywhere either.

I flew Air Asia a lot and the inflight magasine always had some mention of QPR in it. And Tune held one or two get togethers that season for fans at a KL bar to watch the game (and yes have some free drinks).

I left Malaysia 18 months ago at which time there was zero interest in QPR (outside of internal interest within Tune group companies)

[Post edited 29 Mar 2016 8:23]
QPRs Profile in Malaysia on 17:51 - Mar 28 with 2056 viewstimcocking

In fact, if you see a QPR shirt in se asia, it's fairly likely to be mine. I've left a few in bars over the years; people leave club shirts as decorations, so I've put a few Rangers' ones in amongst them.

Got to represent

Ps and if you're really lucky, I might still be wearing it.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2016 17:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024