Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Bike: non QPR 10:08 - Jun 9 with 4465 views1MoreBrightonR

I cycle to work and have just doubled my cycle from 4.5 miles to 9 miles each way and now go along the canal which isnt fully paved. Been using an old peugout touring bike with thin tyres but have just got two flats in two days. fcking annoying.

Anyway, thinking of upgrading. have been recommended a Ridgeback which seems to to tick the boxes for a roadbike to commute on. anyone got any thoughts or reccomendations? thinking under £500 unless there is something way better for a bit more cash.
New Bike: non QPR on 10:17 - Jun 9 with 4448 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Get Schwalbe (sp) 'Marathon' Kevlar tyres.

You'll stop getting punctures.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

New Bike: non QPR on 10:36 - Jun 9 with 4418 viewsloftboy

Just ordered one through the cycle scheme, a specialized sirrus, £600, the upgrade for the tyres should be £30 each but Berkshire cycles in crowthorne has off set the ones they are taking off so getting the super puncture resistant ones for a tenner, bikes got hydraulic disc brakes,27 gears and I opted for a fixed fork as suspension adds to the weight, been riding a dog of a mountain bike so cant wait, hoping to do the London to Brighton next year, also after clocking myself at 30mph down hill on a crap bike I expect to go a bit faster on this so for the first time in my life have bought a helmet as well, never worn one before but keep getting bollocked by a woman at work so have caved in.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 10:39]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

New Bike: non QPR on 10:36 - Jun 9 with 4418 views1MoreBrightonR

I've already got Gatorskins which i'm told are pretty puncture proof. I think the current tyres are just too thin for an unpaved road...they just arent designed for that! Guy in the bike shop said he could squeeze on wider ones but not much wider.

Whatever bike i got for, will get those tyres though as two people have recommended them and have just done some reading up and they sound much more suited to what i do than the Gator's.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 10:38]
New Bike: non QPR on 11:12 - Jun 9 with 4361 viewshovehoop

New Bike: non QPR on 10:36 - Jun 9 by 1MoreBrightonR

I've already got Gatorskins which i'm told are pretty puncture proof. I think the current tyres are just too thin for an unpaved road...they just arent designed for that! Guy in the bike shop said he could squeeze on wider ones but not much wider.

Whatever bike i got for, will get those tyres though as two people have recommended them and have just done some reading up and they sound much more suited to what i do than the Gator's.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 10:38]

Depends on the riding you want to do. I've got an old Ridgeback Tempest that I use as a hack about town. It's understated and I'm relaxed about leaving it locked outside swimming pools or shops say. It's done hundreds of miles and it's bombproof. At one time I stuck knobblies on and rode it up on the South Downs Way though it was like riding a jack hammer without suspension. And it's heavy. I wore out those tyres and put back the wide slicks it came with. It's pretty quick on tarmac and would be reasonably comfortable on prepared trail too. Though by my reckoning it just works as a hack. I have separate mountain and road bikes.

I'm fond of the Ridgeback though if you think that mountain biking will be your thing then get a mountain bike or if you want to ride fast on tarmac and potentially race then get a road bike. I know a few who have one hybrid bike and though they like them they sometimes get frustrated they can't ride them off road on the Downs or race them in an event. Most manufacturers do great deals on entry level bikes to introduce you to the brand. If you bought the frame and components separately then most likely you couldn't assemble the bike for the same price at which retailers sell it!
New Bike: non QPR on 11:27 - Jun 9 with 4349 viewshovehoop

New Bike: non QPR on 10:36 - Jun 9 by loftboy

Just ordered one through the cycle scheme, a specialized sirrus, £600, the upgrade for the tyres should be £30 each but Berkshire cycles in crowthorne has off set the ones they are taking off so getting the super puncture resistant ones for a tenner, bikes got hydraulic disc brakes,27 gears and I opted for a fixed fork as suspension adds to the weight, been riding a dog of a mountain bike so cant wait, hoping to do the London to Brighton next year, also after clocking myself at 30mph down hill on a crap bike I expect to go a bit faster on this so for the first time in my life have bought a helmet as well, never worn one before but keep getting bollocked by a woman at work so have caved in.

Riding with a helmet is a good call. Many years ago I joined up with friends who competed and they wouldn't ride with me or anyone else for that matter unless wearing a lid. I've had too many spills to remember. Some were my fault, some the fault of others and some I couldn't explain. I've broken at least one helmet and honestly can't say how it happened. On one occasion an old boy driving a Volvo hooked on my handlebars with his wing mirror and he then closed the space between me and a high kerb stone with metal railings on top. I had to rotate my pedal so it sailed just above the kerb. After what seemed like several minutes of thumping on his roof he finally realised he had picked me up as a passenger. I've not ridden on that road since and am fortunate that I've got plenty of less busy roads from which to choose. I never ride without a helmet and ride more confidently because of it. After my experiences I insisted the kids and wife wear helmets too and these days it's second nature for them.
New Bike: non QPR on 11:40 - Jun 9 with 4333 views1MoreBrightonR

New Bike: non QPR on 11:12 - Jun 9 by hovehoop

Depends on the riding you want to do. I've got an old Ridgeback Tempest that I use as a hack about town. It's understated and I'm relaxed about leaving it locked outside swimming pools or shops say. It's done hundreds of miles and it's bombproof. At one time I stuck knobblies on and rode it up on the South Downs Way though it was like riding a jack hammer without suspension. And it's heavy. I wore out those tyres and put back the wide slicks it came with. It's pretty quick on tarmac and would be reasonably comfortable on prepared trail too. Though by my reckoning it just works as a hack. I have separate mountain and road bikes.

I'm fond of the Ridgeback though if you think that mountain biking will be your thing then get a mountain bike or if you want to ride fast on tarmac and potentially race then get a road bike. I know a few who have one hybrid bike and though they like them they sometimes get frustrated they can't ride them off road on the Downs or race them in an event. Most manufacturers do great deals on entry level bikes to introduce you to the brand. If you bought the frame and components separately then most likely you couldn't assemble the bike for the same price at which retailers sell it!

For me, it's literally road cycling in london and prepared trails (ie along the canal which is basically compressed dirt) so the Ridgeback sounds about right. I'll keep the old racer as my 'pub bike' as i dont really worry about leaving it out. great advice all round though.

I always wear a helmet...i figure commuting every day of my life, its only a matter of time before i go off. I've only been off once so far...it was 2am the Friday of our play off semi final and i'd gone to the pub after work to watch it. You can imagine the state i was in and i should have been nowehere near the bike! I've got a lot more cautious now.

My gf worried so much about me cycling after a beer or without a helmet...now she's started cycing and doesnt wear a helmet because she doesnt like the way it looks. FFS!
New Bike: non QPR on 12:34 - Jun 9 with 4271 viewshovehoop

New Bike: non QPR on 11:40 - Jun 9 by 1MoreBrightonR

For me, it's literally road cycling in london and prepared trails (ie along the canal which is basically compressed dirt) so the Ridgeback sounds about right. I'll keep the old racer as my 'pub bike' as i dont really worry about leaving it out. great advice all round though.

I always wear a helmet...i figure commuting every day of my life, its only a matter of time before i go off. I've only been off once so far...it was 2am the Friday of our play off semi final and i'd gone to the pub after work to watch it. You can imagine the state i was in and i should have been nowehere near the bike! I've got a lot more cautious now.

My gf worried so much about me cycling after a beer or without a helmet...now she's started cycing and doesnt wear a helmet because she doesnt like the way it looks. FFS!

Ok. So tyre size about 35mm or slightly wider will give you some grip on dirt and shock absorption for road/trail buzz. You may end up swapping out the stock tyres for something with kevlar lining say. Depends how you go with punctures. The gearing ratio should be quite good too so you can reach high speeds on tarmac. It used to be the case that Ridgeback had massive buying power allowing them to negotiate good deals with Shimano for groupsets. So it meant you'd bet a better groupset compared to a competitor model in same price bracket. In 15 years, the only maintenance has been truing the wheels and replacing the bottom bracket, chainrings, chain and rear cassette so it's paid for itself many times over.

Have done the cycling and beer thing too. Left the pub one night, and walking was ok, though I fell off 5 times before giving up.

I don't really grasp the vanity thing behind not wearing a helmet. My wife didn't like having her hair messed up too though she knew she couldn't berate the kids unless she wore one too.
New Bike: non QPR on 13:15 - Jun 9 with 4232 viewsR_from_afar

I've got the Schwalbe tyres too and they seem excellent. I have used "puncture proof" tyres for donkey's years and had one puncture in, oh, 20 years or so. They are definitely the best approach.

As an alternative, you used to be able to get Kevlar strips which you could insert between the tyre and the inner tube. I did use them in the past and they seemed to help.

Another whacky alternative, that I also used (in the 1980s) are these:
http://www.velo-heaven.co.uk/products/1950s-style-fint-catchers

They flick the glass and "fints" (sic.; that should read "flint") off before you put pressure on the sharp object.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

New Bike: non QPR on 15:09 - Jun 9 with 4158 viewsNeil_SI

I use a Brompton, like the one in my profile picture. They're great rides, though I guess they're not everybody's cup of tea. They've become more and more popular over the years though and are great city bikes. It's useful to be able to fold them up and take them into places like the office, or pubs, or whatever. So I've never needed a lock or have worry about locking it up somewhere.

You should wear a helmet. Anything can happen on the roads. I used to not wear one and then had an accident and have worn one since. My accident happened luckily for me, in the middle of the night and right outside my flat.

I'd just come off a busy road with cars behind me and went onto my road, which was quiet. I was travelling at a fair pace when I was about to overshoot my front door and pressed on my brakes to slow down and stop. That sent my handle bars downwards (somehow the screw came loose) and trapped both my arms and flipped me head first over to the bike and onto the floor.

I fractured my eye socket and dislocated my shoulder, as well as knocking myself clean out. I was pretty lucky a car wasn't behind me because they'd have had no time to react and stop. Took me a week before I could walk properly again from the concussion I had. Since then, I've worn a helmet, but accidents can happen when you least expect and there are enough wild cyclists, pedestrians and drivers out there that you have to take every precaution and be ready for anything.

My brother had a nasty accident a while back on Oxford Street too, and nearly got squashed by two buses. Some woman randomly stepped out into the road at no notice, not paying attention to the cyclists and her handbag strap got caught up and wrapped around the handle bar of my brothers bike and sent him absolutely flying. Luckily he was alright. He's also been hit by a car, which the person sped off and left him with a bust arm.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 15:11]
New Bike: non QPR on 15:56 - Jun 9 with 4119 viewsBoston

New Bike: non QPR on 10:36 - Jun 9 by loftboy

No ash tray though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New Bike: non QPR on 16:45 - Jun 9 with 4083 viewsE17hoop

Just got a replacement bike after someone nicked my old one and immediately swapped the MTB tyres off of it and put a pair of these on:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-travelcontact-city-road-tyre
They're excellent with a bit of grip when you need it.

I had a pair of these on my old bike and they were also superb:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-ribmo-folding-city-tyre

Get 2 locks - a chain and a U-lock even if you have a secure and insured workplace cycle parking space.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

New Bike: non QPR on 17:06 - Jun 9 with 4066 viewshoof_hearted

New Bike: non QPR on 15:09 - Jun 9 by Neil_SI

I use a Brompton, like the one in my profile picture. They're great rides, though I guess they're not everybody's cup of tea. They've become more and more popular over the years though and are great city bikes. It's useful to be able to fold them up and take them into places like the office, or pubs, or whatever. So I've never needed a lock or have worry about locking it up somewhere.

You should wear a helmet. Anything can happen on the roads. I used to not wear one and then had an accident and have worn one since. My accident happened luckily for me, in the middle of the night and right outside my flat.

I'd just come off a busy road with cars behind me and went onto my road, which was quiet. I was travelling at a fair pace when I was about to overshoot my front door and pressed on my brakes to slow down and stop. That sent my handle bars downwards (somehow the screw came loose) and trapped both my arms and flipped me head first over to the bike and onto the floor.

I fractured my eye socket and dislocated my shoulder, as well as knocking myself clean out. I was pretty lucky a car wasn't behind me because they'd have had no time to react and stop. Took me a week before I could walk properly again from the concussion I had. Since then, I've worn a helmet, but accidents can happen when you least expect and there are enough wild cyclists, pedestrians and drivers out there that you have to take every precaution and be ready for anything.

My brother had a nasty accident a while back on Oxford Street too, and nearly got squashed by two buses. Some woman randomly stepped out into the road at no notice, not paying attention to the cyclists and her handbag strap got caught up and wrapped around the handle bar of my brothers bike and sent him absolutely flying. Luckily he was alright. He's also been hit by a car, which the person sped off and left him with a bust arm.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 15:11]

I'm much happier with an engine on my bike. When I use a pedal bike I am much more terrified than on a motorbike. 30mph downhill with inch wide tyres and a half inch of polystyrene as the only protection (if anything) is absolute lunacy.
New Bike: non QPR on 17:32 - Jun 9 with 4051 views1MoreBrightonR

New Bike: non QPR on 17:06 - Jun 9 by hoof_hearted

I'm much happier with an engine on my bike. When I use a pedal bike I am much more terrified than on a motorbike. 30mph downhill with inch wide tyres and a half inch of polystyrene as the only protection (if anything) is absolute lunacy.

this came up on in conversation the other day...someone was saying that the fact so much motorcyle clothing is designed around protecting you in the event of you falling off isnt exactly reassuring! sure thats a non biker view though
New Bike: non QPR on 18:28 - Jun 9 with 4024 viewsE17hoop

Remember you've the weight of the vehicle you're riding; coming off a cycle which lands on you isn't as bad as even a small motorbike.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

New Bike: non QPR on 00:35 - Jun 10 with 3888 viewsHollowayHoop

Sorry dude I just accidentally reported your op as abusive. My bad.

Anyway until Feb 2016 I was cycling from Camden to enfield daily, which is about 18 miles round trip, and was doing very nicely on a £299 Btwin from Decathlon. A mate who allegedly won bronze in some sort of UK cycling championship in 2010 recommended the bike and I've had no issues with it whatsoever since purchase about 4 years ago. Good ride and doesn't get nicked by crackheads like my old specialized, which was a complete waste of money IMHO.
New Bike: non QPR on 08:43 - Jun 10 with 3817 viewsToast_R

Felt F55 here. £1400 new had it around 6 years. Rides like a dream and still in great nick but I'm thinking of selling it now as I tend to use my High Brid Treck a lot more these days and rarely commute to work since my son came along as he gets farmed off to his grand parents on my way to work which means I have to drive in.
New Bike: non QPR on 09:32 - Jun 10 with 3796 viewsloftboy

This is what I'm picking up Tuesday

https://specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/fitness/sirrus-sport-disc/106268

New Bike: non QPR on 14:13 - Jun 10 with 3708 viewsW14Hoop

New Bike: non QPR on 09:32 - Jun 10 by loftboy

This is what I'm picking up Tuesday

https://specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/fitness/sirrus-sport-disc/106268

I had a Spesh sirrus a few years back through works c2w scheme and it’s a a great choice, you’ll love it Loftboy.

I hadn’t had a bike in ages and this was a great introduction back in to cycling. The weight wasn’t that far off a normal road bike with 700 x 28c tyres ( Mine didn’t have disc brakes though )

Used this for commute to work, 26 mile round trip and the occasional sportive . Handled everything I could throw at it.

The sportive route went from Guildford through Surrey Hill and up Barhatch Lane, this was the only problem I encountered but that was cus my legs had gone by then and trying to get up from 6% to 20% finally done it for me!

Couple of winter's back I bought some Vittoria Zaffiros from Planet X about a tenner a tyre and these were bomb-proof, never had a p**cture and was very glad at that as they were a complete biiiitch to put on.

I’ve got a Cube Peloton road bike now, bit more of a race position setup, but good value for money.
New Bike: non QPR on 14:24 - Jun 10 with 3697 viewsMetallica_Hoop

New Bike: non QPR on 14:13 - Jun 10 by W14Hoop

I had a Spesh sirrus a few years back through works c2w scheme and it’s a a great choice, you’ll love it Loftboy.

I hadn’t had a bike in ages and this was a great introduction back in to cycling. The weight wasn’t that far off a normal road bike with 700 x 28c tyres ( Mine didn’t have disc brakes though )

Used this for commute to work, 26 mile round trip and the occasional sportive . Handled everything I could throw at it.

The sportive route went from Guildford through Surrey Hill and up Barhatch Lane, this was the only problem I encountered but that was cus my legs had gone by then and trying to get up from 6% to 20% finally done it for me!

Couple of winter's back I bought some Vittoria Zaffiros from Planet X about a tenner a tyre and these were bomb-proof, never had a p**cture and was very glad at that as they were a complete biiiitch to put on.

I’ve got a Cube Peloton road bike now, bit more of a race position setup, but good value for money.

Ditto this about the Sirrus I've had one for 2 years and it's perfect for Central London.

It took a while to get used to it being lighter than my last but once you stop feeling like your on a bucking bronco it's a nice piece of kit.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

New Bike: non QPR on 14:32 - Jun 10 with 3684 viewsslranger40

I've got an old Sirrus frame if you want it and fancey a project? most of the bike is proably in good nick just needs a new fornt wheel.

Save you bothering with the CTWS if you are that way inclined.

it s a long shot, but let me know.
New Bike: non QPR on 14:37 - Jun 10 with 3677 viewslondonscottish

I happen to run a (slightly over-engineered) 29er Trek MTB on my 20 mile round trip commute. I run it on kevlar-lined Continentals and haven't had a puncture in the 2.5 years/4000-odd miles I've run it.

If I were to run something else it would be something like Loftboy's Spesh OR one of the Boardmans. In fact the Boardman Hybrid Team. This has a great spec - hydro discs like the Sirrus plus carbon forks - they do reduce a lot of the front end chatter without the heft of suspension. Only £100 over budget at the moment.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike?cm_

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

New Bike: non QPR on 15:38 - Jun 10 with 3633 viewsloftboy

New Bike: non QPR on 14:32 - Jun 10 by slranger40

I've got an old Sirrus frame if you want it and fancey a project? most of the bike is proably in good nick just needs a new fornt wheel.

Save you bothering with the CTWS if you are that way inclined.

it s a long shot, but let me know.

Thanks for the offer,but I'm all signed and sealed, absolutely useless at any form.of mechanics or anything that requires a spanner! Can just about manage to do a puncture!

New Bike: non QPR on 15:49 - Jun 10 with 3625 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Mobility scooters aren't just for the disabled... come winter, you'll be laughing all the way to work!

New Bike: non QPR on 14:39 - Jun 14 with 3497 viewsloftboy

New Bike: non QPR on 14:24 - Jun 10 by Metallica_Hoop

Ditto this about the Sirrus I've had one for 2 years and it's perfect for Central London.

It took a while to get used to it being lighter than my last but once you stop feeling like your on a bucking bronco it's a nice piece of kit.

Just picked mine up, wow what a difference from the heap I was riding, going to be off for some long distant rides on my days off I think, had some mudguards added on but still light as a feather, completely effortless riding.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024