Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop question 18:29 - Nov 30 with 1536 viewsRangersDave

Hi chaps,
I'm hoping one or two of you can help me with this please as I'm a bit of a technophobe / Luddite.

My lad top hard drive has started to make ominous noises, so the time for change is upon me.

So looking round, easily confused me, is seeing adverts for xx or yy computer but I'm not seeing anything regarding decent storage.

For instance I'm seeing SSD 256gb but that can't be storage can it? I run 2 terrabytes of storage in my laptop and almost fill a 4tb external too.

Am I missing something here?
Any help and thoughts gratefully received.
Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Laptop question on 19:15 - Nov 30 with 1505 viewsJuzzie

SSD's are still in their infancy so it'll be a while before we see 1 or 2 TB at sub £100 prices.

I think they're good for the OS but any storage for photos, videos, music etc should still go on a conventional hard drive IMO.

There's a recent tnread on here about SSD's so maybe look page a couple of pages.
Laptop question on 20:58 - Nov 30 with 1437 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Thinks it just the thing at the moment - pushing ssd's and their current relatively low storage over normal HDs and their bigger storage.

At my work we are transitioning to ssd only on our laptops and desktops, but they are relatively high spec'd machines.

I guess for now at least the options are ssd and external HDs or paying much more for a larger ssd.

Not much help here, I know!
Laptop question on 09:05 - Dec 1 with 1359 viewsBathRanger

I've recently replaced a laptop and looking around the likes of PC World there were certainly many laptops available with 1TB internal HDDs, possibly one or two with more but I personally wasn't looking for more than that.

It seems to me that tech companies are trying to promote cloud storage more and more so you can access your files from more than one device. However if that doesn't appeal to you (and I'd be surprised if many offer 6Tb cheaply but I haven't looked into it), then I'd probably continue to use external HDDs.
Laptop question on 11:56 - Dec 1 with 1294 viewsrsonist

http://uk.pcmag.com/storage-devices-reviews/8061/feature/ssd-vs-hdd-whats-the-di

See here for SSD/HD explanation. Operating system on SSD and files elsewhere is definitely the way to go these days, the performance benefits are considerable.

Should go without saying that if you are hearing "ominous noises" then back that 2TB up IMMEDIATELY - do not think about running a disk repair/scan/whatever first because you'll only stress the disk and risk file corruption more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024