Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans 13:00 - Apr 12 with 4118 viewsqprewan

I know that rightly or wrongly their fan base rarely gets a good mention but one thing I've noticed after many trips over the years to both the old and new Den is that their supporters never seem to get on the backs of their own team however badly they are playing.
Going into half time this week and with Rotheram winning they were in the 3rd bottom place and their players were making numerous mistakes. If this was us at Loftus Rd a big minority of the crowd would have been on player's backs and there would have been loud moans and worse every time there was a misplaced pass or an attack broke down. Not only this but individual players would be getting dogs abuse as our fan base always likes to have a couple of favourite players who we can reserve for extra vitriol..this has been the case as long as I can remember (Mick Leach in the 70s ..Simon Barker in the 80s, Santos in the 90s ) and many many more.

I know that we are playing badly but it is so counter - productive to slate your own team to the extent we do during matches. I'm not saying that we shouldn't moan or complain about problems on and off the pitch, I do so regularly myself, but abusing your own players during a match is not the place.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 13:02]
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:12 - Apr 12 with 4022 viewsBoston

Mick Leach was voted player of the year by the fans, I remember him as being a popular figure, club also rewarded him with a decent testimonial.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:16 - Apr 12 with 3998 viewsaston_hoop

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/66350-66350.html

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:36 - Apr 12 with 3919 viewsQPROslo

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:12 - Apr 12 by Boston

Mick Leach was voted player of the year by the fans, I remember him as being a popular figure, club also rewarded him with a decent testimonial.

I remember well both Leach and Don Masson getting a lot of abuse from the Loft mid/late Seventies.
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:48 - Apr 12 with 3884 viewslongbottom

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:36 - Apr 12 by QPROslo

I remember well both Leach and Don Masson getting a lot of abuse from the Loft mid/late Seventies.

Correct. Don Givens went from hero to zero in about three weeks. I mean Don Givens ffs.
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 14:32 - Apr 12 with 3785 viewsstowmarketrange

You should’ve been where I was on Wednesday night then.I was in the lower tier behind the goal with the Millwall fans and they certainly did get on their players backs after the abuse of the officials died down a bit about 65-70 mins into the game.Maybe not as much as some of our fans do but every misplaced pass was greeted by moans and groans by those around me.
Once they realised they wouldn’t score in the game,they seemed resigned to taking a point from the night.
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 14:52 - Apr 12 with 3750 viewsBoston

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 14:32 - Apr 12 by stowmarketrange

You should’ve been where I was on Wednesday night then.I was in the lower tier behind the goal with the Millwall fans and they certainly did get on their players backs after the abuse of the officials died down a bit about 65-70 mins into the game.Maybe not as much as some of our fans do but every misplaced pass was greeted by moans and groans by those around me.
Once they realised they wouldn’t score in the game,they seemed resigned to taking a point from the night.

To be fair, they’re not really there for the football.

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 15:11 - Apr 12 with 3694 viewsqprewan

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 14:32 - Apr 12 by stowmarketrange

Hey fair enough I was more making the point about our Home support and yes Millwall were playing so poorly the other night I was honestly surprised that the home support didn't turn on them wholesale which got me round to thinking about us at home especially.

Not sure if we will ever get rid of it at our place seems sadly part of our culture where as others have pointed out even decent players can get it. I've even heard the likes of Martin Rowlands and Lee Cook getting called all sorts in my time.

Sometimes we like to build players up just to turn on them when their form drops...a good example this year would be Eze who has gone from hero to zero in a matter of weeks.
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 15:57 - Apr 12 with 3621 viewsLythamR

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 13:12 - Apr 12 by Boston

Mick Leach was regularly slaughtered for years particularly in the early 70's, I think he got a bit more love from supporters towards the end of his career and I was at his testimonial, a memorable evening.

but as an 11/12 year old sitting in the old Elersie and then the shiny new SAR with my Dad i think i learnt the meaning of the word Abuse from listening to those around me tearing into Leach at every opportunity. The other player i remember getting pelters when i was a kid was Frank Clarke
Login to get fewer ads

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 16:30 - Apr 12 with 3560 viewsstowmarketrange

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 15:11 - Apr 12 by qprewan

Hey fair enough I was more making the point about our Home support and yes Millwall were playing so poorly the other night I was honestly surprised that the home support didn't turn on them wholesale which got me round to thinking about us at home especially.

Not sure if we will ever get rid of it at our place seems sadly part of our culture where as others have pointed out even decent players can get it. I've even heard the likes of Martin Rowlands and Lee Cook getting called all sorts in my time.

Sometimes we like to build players up just to turn on them when their form drops...a good example this year would be Eze who has gone from hero to zero in a matter of weeks.

It seems to have got worse since some of our fan base appear to have a sense of entitlement and don’t appreciate that for the vast majority of our history we have been sh@t with a few good seasons sprinkled here and there to wind us all up into thinking that things will be better next year.
Millwall fans possibly realise where they have come from and have been recently than some of our more blinkered fans.
One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 22:25 - Apr 12 with 3279 viewsBoston

One thing we could learn from Millwall fans on 15:57 - Apr 12 by LythamR

Mick Leach was regularly slaughtered for years particularly in the early 70's, I think he got a bit more love from supporters towards the end of his career and I was at his testimonial, a memorable evening.

but as an 11/12 year old sitting in the old Elersie and then the shiny new SAR with my Dad i think i learnt the meaning of the word Abuse from listening to those around me tearing into Leach at every opportunity. The other player i remember getting pelters when i was a kid was Frank Clarke

Well me and my mates liked Micky, so there, sticks out tongue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024