Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we need ? 12:30 - Jan 4 with 6792 viewstoreqpr

I have been following The R`s since the mid 70s. Due to economical issues I have not been able to travel from Norway since 2014.Football have changed. I think pace is the most important thing to have in a team these days. To break down other teams when in possesion is more and more difficault. So the best is to have pace in all areas so we can counterattack and transit quickly. So in my opinion our recruitment have to be done with this in mind. And of course financially prudent. (sorry for spelling and language issues)
"Watchig from afar"
What do we need ? on 12:35 - Jan 4 with 4837 viewsthemodfather

goals and scorers are pivotal in any successful team, when we went up before we rained goals thru routledge, adel, heidar and charlie, does dykes look like scoring 20? no.
What do we need ? on 13:14 - Jan 4 with 4743 viewsParkRoyalR

What do we need ? on 12:35 - Jan 4 by themodfather

goals and scorers are pivotal in any successful team, when we went up before we rained goals thru routledge, adel, heidar and charlie, does dykes look like scoring 20? no.

Not sure how many of those 4 scored 20 league goals?

Thought the success of that team was built on a mean defence which with Dunne's emergence we are beginning to see.

Dykes was pivotal to our good run before his injury, playing himself back to match fitness so I am sure we all hope he can get up to say 15 goals as very unlikely Gray or Austin will be getting to that number.
What do we need ? on 13:18 - Jan 4 with 4729 viewsnix

Seems a bit harsh as he's already scored more than Routledge did the season we were Champions and even Adel didn't score twenty (19). Heider got 13, which Dykes is on track for. What we did do that season is get goals across the team (Mackie got 9), which we're doing this season as well, with Chair and Willock, plus contributions from 13 players so far.

I don't know where this idea that we've had all these twenty goal a season players comes from. If anyone gets 13 plus it's a good season, and if they get 15 plus, then it's exceptional.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 13:19]
What do we need ? on 13:27 - Jan 4 with 4672 viewsParkRoyalR

What do we need ? on 13:18 - Jan 4 by nix

Seems a bit harsh as he's already scored more than Routledge did the season we were Champions and even Adel didn't score twenty (19). Heider got 13, which Dykes is on track for. What we did do that season is get goals across the team (Mackie got 9), which we're doing this season as well, with Chair and Willock, plus contributions from 13 players so far.

I don't know where this idea that we've had all these twenty goal a season players comes from. If anyone gets 13 plus it's a good season, and if they get 15 plus, then it's exceptional.

Dykes was key to the team before his injury, probably worsened by his determination to help the team secure the 3 points that day by playing to the final whistle though carrying a very heavy knock, and still so many supposed Rangers fans never miss an opportunity to dig him out.

If they cannot see how MW sets up his team's to play and how a fit Dykes is key to that formation, well let's leave it there.
What do we need ? on 14:28 - Jan 4 with 4570 viewscharmr

Watford have based their strategy and recruitment on pace. Pace always gives you a chance unless you’re Theo Wolcott.
What do we need ? on 15:00 - Jan 4 with 4485 viewsNorthernr

Pace is what the team is missing.

Only the top three have scored more goals than us, and we've scored in something like 22 consecutive away games, so the fact we don't have the mythical 20 goal a season striker isn't necessarily a problem as we're sharing them around.
What do we need ? on 15:08 - Jan 4 with 4440 viewscharmr

Wayne Fereday had ……….(fill in the blanks)

I’ll go first, a moustache. Wayne’s tache cartoon strip, anyone?
What do we need ? on 15:24 - Jan 4 with 4407 viewsTW_R

We scored 67 goals last season, 4 less than our Championship winning year (71 goals). Our problem in recent seasons has been conceding too many goals. 76 last season as opposed to 32 in 2010/11..

We are currently scoring an average of 1.54 goals a game, which, ironically, would equate to just under 71 goals if we continue with the current strike rate for the rest of the season.
Login to get fewer ads

What do we need ? on 15:33 - Jan 4 with 4386 viewsStainrod

Pace. power and fitness are the key nowadays I would say. Like tennis, its almost a different sport entirely from that played in the 70s (much as Rs look back on that era wistfully, being our glory days).

Be interested to hear how many we have scored per game since we tightened up at the back, about a dozen games ago. It feels like we are conceding less but also scoring less?

We haven't ripped a team apart this season the way the Adel team did (and Fulham have done several times already). Think that 3-0 at Hull probably our top score? Yes you only need to score one more than the opposition but our closer scores are an indication of why we are play off contenders rather than Championship winners like we were that year.

Re Adel he got 19 goals but the same or even slightly more assists on top - he was different class to anyone we currently have, fantastic tho some of our players are. But Heider certainly wasn't any more prolific than Dykes (and there were a lot of penalties in his total).
What do we need ? on 15:42 - Jan 4 with 4332 viewsflynnbo

What do we need ? on 13:27 - Jan 4 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes was key to the team before his injury, probably worsened by his determination to help the team secure the 3 points that day by playing to the final whistle though carrying a very heavy knock, and still so many supposed Rangers fans never miss an opportunity to dig him out.

If they cannot see how MW sets up his team's to play and how a fit Dykes is key to that formation, well let's leave it there.

Agree 100%, Nix. Also, he got himself into several good positions but didn't receive the ball for one reason or another and he was clearly frustrated.
What do we need ? on 15:49 - Jan 4 with 4308 viewsderbyhoop

What do we need ? on 15:00 - Jan 4 by Northernr

Pace is what the team is missing.

Only the top three have scored more goals than us, and we've scored in something like 22 consecutive away games, so the fact we don't have the mythical 20 goal a season striker isn't necessarily a problem as we're sharing them around.

Amen to that.
We look quite pedestrian without BOS.

Willock is sharp but not really rapid.
Good reports re Armstrong, but he's still a way off, I suspect.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What do we need ? on 16:03 - Jan 4 with 4247 viewsgazza1

What do we need ? on 15:42 - Jan 4 by flynnbo

Agree 100%, Nix. Also, he got himself into several good positions but didn't receive the ball for one reason or another and he was clearly frustrated.

If anyone, actually, thinks that Dykes is a decent 'proper' CF then they do not know the basics of football and are totally blind of his limitations. Likewise, if posters think he is Premier class or ever will be then they do not have one clue - it is as simple as that.

Fed up with all this chat about Lydon 'fooking' Dykes - Premiership player , my arse!!!!

He started the season behind CA, he is now possibly at levels with CA, for one reason only and that is CA is finding it very tough. A fit and ready CA would loose Dykes any day of the week but maybe we will not see that from CA any more - we will see.

We need a 'proper' striker to win us automatic promotion.
What do we need ? on 16:16 - Jan 4 with 4232 viewsParkRoyalR

What do we need ? on 16:03 - Jan 4 by gazza1

If anyone, actually, thinks that Dykes is a decent 'proper' CF then they do not know the basics of football and are totally blind of his limitations. Likewise, if posters think he is Premier class or ever will be then they do not have one clue - it is as simple as that.

Fed up with all this chat about Lydon 'fooking' Dykes - Premiership player , my arse!!!!

He started the season behind CA, he is now possibly at levels with CA, for one reason only and that is CA is finding it very tough. A fit and ready CA would loose Dykes any day of the week but maybe we will not see that from CA any more - we will see.

Maybe we should try pairing our 3rd choice CDM up front with our 3rd choice CF?

Makes sense to some. I think I'll have a word with MW!
What do we need ? on 16:17 - Jan 4 with 4230 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Would agree with the consensus that we could do with more pace, but I'd imagine that pace is very costly.

I'd also like to see more dribbling ability. I know that Willock just scored an outstanding dribbling goal but I often watch us and think we over-rely on movement and passing to get through teams. Again, though, I'd imagine that it's an expensive skill.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What do we need ? on 16:24 - Jan 4 with 4190 viewsAntti_Heinola

What do we need ? on 13:18 - Jan 4 by nix

Agree - one of the most dangerous things about this team is that the goals come from everywhere - scorers to far this season (in no particular order):

1. Dykes
2. Austin
3. Chair
4. Willock
5. Wallace/OG
6. Dickie
7. Dunne
8. Barbet
9. Amos
10. Adomah
11. Ball
12. Johansen
13. Gray
14. McCallum

I believe last year we had soemthing like 17-18 scorers. 14 by early Jan is exceptional. Much harder to stop than one prolific forward.

Agree with the OP though, a bit more pace would be nice. Odubajo was supposed to help that of course, but been inured a lot. Amos is fairly quick, he'll help now he's getting back.

Bare bones.

What do we need ? on 16:28 - Jan 4 with 4183 viewsflynnbo

What do we need ? on 16:03 - Jan 4 by gazza1

"If anyone, actually, thinks that Dykes is a decent 'proper' CF then they do not know the basics of football and are totally blind of his limitations. Likewise, if posters think he is Premier class or ever will be then they do not have one clue - it is as simple as that".

All about opinions but your comments above are just insulting.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 17:07]
What do we need ? on 17:05 - Jan 4 with 4118 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What do we need ? on 16:17 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Would agree with the consensus that we could do with more pace, but I'd imagine that pace is very costly.

I'd also like to see more dribbling ability. I know that Willock just scored an outstanding dribbling goal but I often watch us and think we over-rely on movement and passing to get through teams. Again, though, I'd imagine that it's an expensive skill.

Well we had a player with both those attributes not so long ago and sold him for the best part of £20m. That should tell us all we need to know. Andre Gray has pace but he has only been useful in flashes.

Pace and power or a cheap championship equivalent of Kyle Walker would do it!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What do we need ? on 17:31 - Jan 4 with 4042 viewsHAYESBOY

A left wingback.

Smells like a trout farm in here

What do we need ? on 17:34 - Jan 4 with 4030 viewsWestbourneR

Wing-backs.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

What do we need ? on 19:27 - Jan 4 with 3839 viewsessextaxiboy

IMO Dykes , Dickie and Seny are good players in this league but (IMO) would not get into an established Premier League team .
We thought Smithies was the real deal , hardly started in the Prem, Dickie hasnt got the pace and Dykes just isnt technically good enough .
As has been said before , these players are playing for us for a reason.
What do we need ? on 19:39 - Jan 4 with 3792 viewsDorse

What do we need ? on 19:27 - Jan 4 by essextaxiboy

IMO Dykes , Dickie and Seny are good players in this league but (IMO) would not get into an established Premier League team .
We thought Smithies was the real deal , hardly started in the Prem, Dickie hasnt got the pace and Dykes just isnt technically good enough .
As has been said before , these players are playing for us for a reason.

'Cause we're brilliant.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What do we need ? on 20:36 - Jan 4 with 3729 viewsdistortR

What do we need ? on 16:17 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure Warbs is a man of dribbles, more pass and move Iimagine.

Incidentally, as I get older, I find I dribble more and more.
What do we need ? on 20:45 - Jan 4 with 3698 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What do we need ? on 20:36 - Jan 4 by distortR

I'm not sure Warbs is a man of dribbles, more pass and move Iimagine.

Incidentally, as I get older, I find I dribble more and more.

I agree. With the first sentence. And probably the second.

We are a pass-and-move side in many ways but pace would be handy in, for example, breakaways and dribbling, even to beat one man and/or line, would be handy when our passing is being crowded out.

What do we need ? on 20:53 - Jan 4 with 3674 viewsdistortR

What do we need ? on 20:45 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. With the first sentence. And probably the second.

We are a pass-and-move side in many ways but pace would be handy in, for example, breakaways and dribbling, even to beat one man and/or line, would be handy when our passing is being crowded out.

If our passing is being crowded out it's a failure of delivery not strategy

Edit - I agree, we desperately need more pace in the side! often, the ref gets to the opponents box before we do.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:55]
What do we need ? on 20:55 - Jan 4 with 3663 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What do we need ? on 20:53 - Jan 4 by distortR

If our passing is being crowded out it's a failure of delivery not strategy

Edit - I agree, we desperately need more pace in the side! often, the ref gets to the opponents box before we do.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:55]

"What we have here is a failure to communicate".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024