Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR- bike trainer stand 11:29 - Sep 30 with 2033 viewsDaBurgh

Need to tap into the immense font of knowledge here please. I am looking to buy a stationary bike training stand, you know the kind you connect your back wheel onto. Looking on Amazon, because no choice locally. A bit confused, most seem to say that they are not compatible with the 'through axle bolt' wheel connector. But in the photo they seem to include exactly that. If anyone has experience with these would greatly appreciate any advice. As stated I have the through axle bolt on my back tyre. Looking to spend around the 60 squid mark. Thanks for any help.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 13:17 - Sep 30 with 1936 viewsboobishabang

Is it definitely a through axle bolt you have or a normal quick release back wheel? A normal turbo trainer would come with a quick release bolt specific for there kit, and in some instances they sell the through axle bolt separately if thats whats needed, road bikes etc normally have your standard quick release bolt, MTB's are normally the more sturdy bolt through axles, i would recommend getting a proper rear tire designed for use on a Turbo Trainer as you will eat through a normal tire within a few weeks.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 13:47 - Sep 30 with 1908 viewsR_from_afar

Hi there, I have a Minoura Hypermag cycle trainer for about 20 years and still use it every week. You don't have to dismantle your bike, there are clamps which fit round your bike's rear axle. You can set it up in two minutes. There is a manual, cable-based resistance system.

It may not be easy to find one now but there are some on Ebay.

Good luck :)

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 14:08 - Sep 30 with 1886 viewsDaBurgh

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 13:17 - Sep 30 by boobishabang

Is it definitely a through axle bolt you have or a normal quick release back wheel? A normal turbo trainer would come with a quick release bolt specific for there kit, and in some instances they sell the through axle bolt separately if thats whats needed, road bikes etc normally have your standard quick release bolt, MTB's are normally the more sturdy bolt through axles, i would recommend getting a proper rear tire designed for use on a Turbo Trainer as you will eat through a normal tire within a few weeks.

Thanks, I have the quick release skewer that goes through the hollow axle on the rear. I wanted to be sure that the trainer is compatible with my bike wheel setup, which pretty much sounds fairly normal. Good suggestion about the spare training wheel.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 14:12 - Sep 30 with 1880 viewsDaBurgh

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 13:47 - Sep 30 by R_from_afar

Hi there, I have a Minoura Hypermag cycle trainer for about 20 years and still use it every week. You don't have to dismantle your bike, there are clamps which fit round your bike's rear axle. You can set it up in two minutes. There is a manual, cable-based resistance system.

It may not be easy to find one now but there are some on Ebay.

Good luck :)

Cheers, no nothing available on Amazon, I'll have a look on Ebay. But sounds like it might be pricey. I'll probably go for the bog standard available on the evil Bezos site.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 15:19 - Sep 30 with 1831 viewsBoston

I'd leave around 4am if you''re heading to Bristol.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 16:04 - Sep 30 with 1803 viewshovehoop

If it's a rudimentary trainer you're after and are prepared to pick up in Hove, I've got one you can have for free. It's about 20 years old. An old Tacx model. It has an integral headset that clips on handlebars that you can tinker with to simulate an up or downslope and this changes the resistance through the back wheel. These things have a clamping pressure each side of the back wheel axle so it's best to have one that is all metal (including the nuts) to cope with the clamping pressure. I'm sure it's in the loft. You preferably need a front wheel riser too so that the training bike is level. And, I like the idea of a separate training wheel with training tyre as the tyre especially runs a bit quieter. And though you are welcome to this I'd say it is also worthwhile seeing how cheaply you can alternatively find a 'smart trainer'. These can look like what you want but they can connect to the net and allow using apps like Wahoo X and Zwift etc where you can take part in structured training sessions or bike rides or races for that matter. They can be set in Erg mode that controls the resistance through the back wheel which varies according to the amount of power the session might require you to apply or to simulate up or downhill. The apps really transformed bike training for me and if I'm well I'd normally do a couple of midweek indoor bike sessions and a weekend outdoor ride. I use another setup these days.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 16:46 - Sep 30 with 1772 viewsDaBurgh

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 16:04 - Sep 30 by hovehoop

If it's a rudimentary trainer you're after and are prepared to pick up in Hove, I've got one you can have for free. It's about 20 years old. An old Tacx model. It has an integral headset that clips on handlebars that you can tinker with to simulate an up or downslope and this changes the resistance through the back wheel. These things have a clamping pressure each side of the back wheel axle so it's best to have one that is all metal (including the nuts) to cope with the clamping pressure. I'm sure it's in the loft. You preferably need a front wheel riser too so that the training bike is level. And, I like the idea of a separate training wheel with training tyre as the tyre especially runs a bit quieter. And though you are welcome to this I'd say it is also worthwhile seeing how cheaply you can alternatively find a 'smart trainer'. These can look like what you want but they can connect to the net and allow using apps like Wahoo X and Zwift etc where you can take part in structured training sessions or bike rides or races for that matter. They can be set in Erg mode that controls the resistance through the back wheel which varies according to the amount of power the session might require you to apply or to simulate up or downhill. The apps really transformed bike training for me and if I'm well I'd normally do a couple of midweek indoor bike sessions and a weekend outdoor ride. I use another setup these days.

Thanks for the offer Hove, I live in the sw of France, so Hove not an option. I was in Bournmouth a couple of days ago, but I think even that's about a five hour round trip.
I'll look into an affordable smart thingy, sounds good. Just what I need for the winter evenings to get me motivated.
Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 17:28 - Sep 30 with 1748 viewshovehoop

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 16:46 - Sep 30 by DaBurgh

Thanks for the offer Hove, I live in the sw of France, so Hove not an option. I was in Bournmouth a couple of days ago, but I think even that's about a five hour round trip.
I'll look into an affordable smart thingy, sounds good. Just what I need for the winter evenings to get me motivated.

Ok then. So, if you're in France and in reach of a Decathlon store here's a link to a wheel mounted smart trainer. It's pretty cheap for what you get. Also, if you're interested you can find online a guy called DC Rainmaker who does great tech reviews on bike and other sports kit/watches etc. With the option below you will probably need to get an Ant+ dongle (unless there's one in the box) to connect the trainer and app. It's also a good idea getting a cadence sensor that attaches to your pedal crank. This is because a lot of sessions will factor your revs per minute and encourage you to spin efficiently. I also like wearing a heart rate chest strap because the apps can keep track of that too and it adds another training metric and helps gauge if you are roughly fit or maybe overtrained or going down with a bug say. The direct drive (wheel off) smart trainers are the next step up from this and they probably cost in the range of £500-£1k. The top option is a purpose designed training bike like a Wattbike or Tacx Neo bike, but they cost an arm and a leg and there's no point considering that if there's a chance indoor biking is not your thing. As far as training apps are concerned, I've tried Zwift and it's the most widely advertised on TV but, I love using Wahoo X as you can choose a training calendar and make it sports specific or multisport. I choose the multisport option and mix in a bit of structured running and swimming plus is has bolt-ons for 15 min yoga sessions and separate bodyweight strength sessions which help me now I'm older. If you're new to this I definitely urge you to consider the smart trainer option because it made indoor biking so much engaging than before.

Also, these trainers are heavy. They need to be to stop you from toppling over. So, I'd expect a lot of Ebay sales to be collection only unless you find a retailer who's prepared to deliver.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/flow-smart-t2240-turbo-trainer/_/R-p-X8345488?mc=8
[Post edited 30 Sep 2022 17:32]
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 19:52 - Sep 30 with 1689 viewsDaBurgh

Non QPR- bike trainer stand on 17:28 - Sep 30 by hovehoop

Ok then. So, if you're in France and in reach of a Decathlon store here's a link to a wheel mounted smart trainer. It's pretty cheap for what you get. Also, if you're interested you can find online a guy called DC Rainmaker who does great tech reviews on bike and other sports kit/watches etc. With the option below you will probably need to get an Ant+ dongle (unless there's one in the box) to connect the trainer and app. It's also a good idea getting a cadence sensor that attaches to your pedal crank. This is because a lot of sessions will factor your revs per minute and encourage you to spin efficiently. I also like wearing a heart rate chest strap because the apps can keep track of that too and it adds another training metric and helps gauge if you are roughly fit or maybe overtrained or going down with a bug say. The direct drive (wheel off) smart trainers are the next step up from this and they probably cost in the range of £500-£1k. The top option is a purpose designed training bike like a Wattbike or Tacx Neo bike, but they cost an arm and a leg and there's no point considering that if there's a chance indoor biking is not your thing. As far as training apps are concerned, I've tried Zwift and it's the most widely advertised on TV but, I love using Wahoo X as you can choose a training calendar and make it sports specific or multisport. I choose the multisport option and mix in a bit of structured running and swimming plus is has bolt-ons for 15 min yoga sessions and separate bodyweight strength sessions which help me now I'm older. If you're new to this I definitely urge you to consider the smart trainer option because it made indoor biking so much engaging than before.

Also, these trainers are heavy. They need to be to stop you from toppling over. So, I'd expect a lot of Ebay sales to be collection only unless you find a retailer who's prepared to deliver.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/flow-smart-t2240-turbo-trainer/_/R-p-X8345488?mc=8
[Post edited 30 Sep 2022 17:32]

Cheers for all that. I'll pop into the local ish Decathlon tomorrow and have a look.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024