Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR 13:53 - Mar 22 with 2596 viewsthame_hoops

Taking the AMG on a cheeky two day/one night trip to Bruges via the eurotunnel.

Ive never done this before, do i need to do anything special to the car? I read about making sure UK is displayed and i have to buy those headlight stickers, anything else I'm missing?

cheers
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 14:00 - Mar 22 with 2569 viewsBoston

Ask Stowmarket.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 14:58 - Mar 22 with 2446 viewsstowmarketrange

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 14:00 - Mar 22 by Boston

Ask Stowmarket.

If only I could remember anything about the place.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:16 - Mar 22 with 2407 viewsfrancisbowles

The Flanders Fields WW1 battle locations and cemeteries for Brits, Canadians, Irish and Germans just over an hour's drive. The Menem gate memorial as well.

All well worth a visit if you are interested and have the time.

Bruges is a nice city to walk around as well, lots of cobbles and canals.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:23 - Mar 22 with 2395 viewsTheChef

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:16 - Mar 22 by francisbowles

The Flanders Fields WW1 battle locations and cemeteries for Brits, Canadians, Irish and Germans just over an hour's drive. The Menem gate memorial as well.

All well worth a visit if you are interested and have the time.

Bruges is a nice city to walk around as well, lots of cobbles and canals.

Yeah we did our school WW1 battlefields trip based out of Bruges.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:07 - Mar 22 with 2247 viewsLanhoop

Have a warning triangle and a hi-vis vest in the boot if I remember right.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:14 - Mar 22 with 2236 viewsstowmarketrange

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:07 - Mar 22 by Lanhoop

Have a warning triangle and a hi-vis vest in the boot if I remember right.

And spare bulbs for France I think.Any excuse for a cheeky fine.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:55 - Mar 22 with 2182 viewsderbyhoop

Passport can't be more than 10 years old. No allowance for early renewal.

Hi vi's Hackett & warning triangle are mandatory. Not sure if spare bulbs are still reqd. Never been asked. And I live in France.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 21:37 - Mar 22 with 2137 viewsthame_hoops

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:14 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

And spare bulbs for France I think.Any excuse for a cheeky fine.

Thanks everyone, does seem to look like the French want to make some money from British tourists.
Login to get fewer ads

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 22:13 - Mar 22 with 2107 viewsstowmarketrange

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 20:55 - Mar 22 by derbyhoop

Passport can't be more than 10 years old. No allowance for early renewal.

Hi vi's Hackett & warning triangle are mandatory. Not sure if spare bulbs are still reqd. Never been asked. And I live in France.

I just googled it on car wow and they mention spare bulbs and a personal breathalyser kit too.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 00:19 - Mar 23 with 2031 viewsBoston

I went to Bruges with a few lads from school, and a teacher who was very keen on our 'wellbeing', when I was 15.

a/ Couldn't get over how easy it was to buy / drink alcohol.

b/ Crowley didn't know what a bidet was and shat in it.

c/ German bunkers are full of fcking mosquitoes.

d/ Lost a tassel off my loafer.

e/ Crowley got the last rites one night after consuming so much wine he almost kicked the bucket.

f/ Had seaweed soup...lucky I didn't need the last rites.

g/ Hired one of them four people peddle bike thingy's. We done great, but forgot they drive on the right in Belgium.

h/ My French teacher had us in doing double time in the weeks before we left. What's fcking Flemish?

g/ Crowley causes international incident when accidently nicking a boat.

i/ So happy to be on the ferry home.

Enjoy.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2023 1:27]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 07:34 - Mar 23 with 1932 viewsthame_hoops

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 22:13 - Mar 22 by stowmarketrange

I just googled it on car wow and they mention spare bulbs and a personal breathalyser kit too.

I read that the breathalyser thing isn’t relevant now. The bulb thing is weird, my car has multipoint LEDs, not sure you can just replace them. I’m just gonna buy a kit from the RAC for 25 quid which includes all this. Cheers
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 10:14 - Mar 23 with 1838 viewsLlanranger

You need to get a clean air certificate for your car. This is unique to your car and doesn't have an expiry date. I drove down to the Alps last summer and wasn't aware of it being checked at all. There are, however, a few stories online of French police targeting UK cars. It's more aimed at towns and cities, so that may be why we weren't checked. I only saw one or two others with these stickers in their windows at the tunnel but probably not worth the risk of not bothering. It's very cheap and if it doesn't arrive in time you can use the invoice instead. This may be an EU thing and not just France, so Belgium as well. You apply online but I cannot remember the address. It shouldn't be too difficult to find, but if you have problems the email address is contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 11:00 - Mar 23 with 1818 viewsbongo_king

Bit late seeing this but live in Belgium and done the drive past Brugges quite a lot (10-20 times a year) over the last couple of years.

There are European Driving kits you can get from Amazon/Halfords with everything you need for UK cars (hi vis, light adapters, first aid kit if I remember right), I got one for about 20 quid a few years back when I had to take a UK car one time. In reality I've never seen anyone stopped and checked for this stuff.

Heads up on speed cameras as you go past Dunkerque (90km/h), also there's an average speed check in the run up to Brugges (120km/h). If you go as far as Ghent, also be very careful, there are some evil speed cameras with almost no tolerance above the limit on the stretch going past the city. Ghent is nice BTW, though similar to Brugges in many ways.

Many cities doing Park and Ride to keep cars out of centre and I think Brugges one of them... also many cities now doing 30km/h limits, again not 100% sure but would be surprised if Brugges not one.

Second the view that the WW1 fields/sites are worth a visit. Ypres in particular.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 11:01 - Mar 23 with 1818 viewswood_hoop

Take care....

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 13:53 - Mar 23 with 1722 viewsw7r

We've done this for the last 7 years or so, it's a great city to visit - no need to drive anywhere, perfect size to explore on foot. Ghent is defo worth a visit.

We always take a small detour to "Beer Shop Noel Cuvelier" (see link below) and fill a shopping trolley (sometimes two) from their amazing selection of beers at bargain prices ~1.5 Euro. Their own label "Abeelsen" beers are fantastic.

You can park in the centre of Bruges in the very safe and immaculate underground carpark for around £20 for the weekend.

Make sure you visit De Garre for the most amazing beer - you can't get this stuff anywhere else. Wonderful with cheese and meats that they serve.

Excellent places to eat, drink and explore - it's a great city.

https://tempestinatankard.com/2020/08/27/belgian-beer-cafe-vignettes-de-garre-br

Beer shop
https://www.facebook.com/people/CUVELIERCO-dranken/100057624272586/

You won't struggle for things to do - enjoy!
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:37 - Mar 23 with 1651 viewsMrSheen

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 11:00 - Mar 23 by bongo_king

Bit late seeing this but live in Belgium and done the drive past Brugges quite a lot (10-20 times a year) over the last couple of years.

There are European Driving kits you can get from Amazon/Halfords with everything you need for UK cars (hi vis, light adapters, first aid kit if I remember right), I got one for about 20 quid a few years back when I had to take a UK car one time. In reality I've never seen anyone stopped and checked for this stuff.

Heads up on speed cameras as you go past Dunkerque (90km/h), also there's an average speed check in the run up to Brugges (120km/h). If you go as far as Ghent, also be very careful, there are some evil speed cameras with almost no tolerance above the limit on the stretch going past the city. Ghent is nice BTW, though similar to Brugges in many ways.

Many cities doing Park and Ride to keep cars out of centre and I think Brugges one of them... also many cities now doing 30km/h limits, again not 100% sure but would be surprised if Brugges not one.

Second the view that the WW1 fields/sites are worth a visit. Ypres in particular.

Used to go fairly often and preferred Ghent to Bruges - it's a bit less touristy and the food is much better. Bruges is so over-run that it tends to be high volume, low price and quality. It does have Brugge Tripel though...
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:57 - Mar 23 with 1635 viewsthame_hoops

Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 15:37 - Mar 23 by MrSheen

Used to go fairly often and preferred Ghent to Bruges - it's a bit less touristy and the food is much better. Bruges is so over-run that it tends to be high volume, low price and quality. It does have Brugge Tripel though...

Thank you for the responses, I did read about the clean air certificate, but I just thought that was only relevant to Paris? I’ll take a Google.

My Hotel in the middle of Ghent has a car park, so I’ll just dump the car there for the day and night.

Just ordered a lonely planet guide from Amazon. Cheers guys.
Driving to Bruges **Non QPR on 17:33 - Mar 23 with 1570 viewsDTIG

Driven there a few times, and on further to Brussels and Leuven and also Paris on multiple occasions
Yes, stickers/Triangle/bulbs /vest blah blah blah are supposed to be required, but I've never taken any of them. Never been checked, never had an issue so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just watch out for the speed cameras. They're generally in the central reservation but they do have signs warning you they're imminent.

Have fun. Bruges is beautiful
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024