Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stockholm - anyone been? 19:04 - Apr 27 with 3894 viewseastside_r

Any tips / pointers gratefully received.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 19:09 - Apr 27 with 3868 viewsBoston

Oi, Dave E, stop lurking and answer this man😀
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 19:10]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stockholm - anyone been? on 19:40 - Apr 27 with 3789 viewsRed_Ranger

Sturehof - top restaurant. Unfortunately nothing is cheap in Stockholm.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 19:58 - Apr 27 with 3763 viewswortonranger

Varsa museum and water taxi
Stockholm - anyone been? on 20:10 - Apr 27 with 3732 viewsNordicR

I'm not from Stockholm, but the Vasa Museum is a good shout. I like a stroll from Kungsträdgården past the parliament to the Old Town.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 20:48 - Apr 27 with 3680 viewsBklynRanger

It's a nice place. The quality of life is really high. Actually think it's probably better to live in than visit tbh, from my short time there. But very pleasant to walk around. The country itself is beautiful to travel around - must shirley be the highest level of camping amenities anywhere in the world hands down. They really pride themselves on it.

One thing we fell foul of - if you arrive on a Saturday and want to buy booze you have to do it before, I think, 5pm. All the off licenses are state run (but fantastic) and close from approx 5pm on Saturday until Monday lunchtime. And a bottle of wine costs a bomb in a restaurant.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 20:49 - Apr 27 with 3656 viewsstainrods_elbow

Stockholm - anyone been? on 20:48 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

It's a nice place. The quality of life is really high. Actually think it's probably better to live in than visit tbh, from my short time there. But very pleasant to walk around. The country itself is beautiful to travel around - must shirley be the highest level of camping amenities anywhere in the world hands down. They really pride themselves on it.

One thing we fell foul of - if you arrive on a Saturday and want to buy booze you have to do it before, I think, 5pm. All the off licenses are state run (but fantastic) and close from approx 5pm on Saturday until Monday lunchtime. And a bottle of wine costs a bomb in a restaurant.

I'm speaking metaphorically, but I think there are a few posters here who are closely acquainted with Stockholm Syndrome.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Stockholm - anyone been? on 21:33 - Apr 27 with 3647 viewsPeterHucker

Stockholm - anyone been? on 20:49 - Apr 27 by stainrods_elbow

I'm speaking metaphorically, but I think there are a few posters here who are closely acquainted with Stockholm Syndrome.

When I went about 20 years ago, we went to a pub owned by the ex Arsenal player Anders Limpar. I think was called Anders Limpbar. I'm not even joking.
Everywhere was very expensive and the locals kept trying to persuade me to eat some kind of stinky herring thing.
Beautiful city though, spent a lot of time walking around looking at historic buildings which was very interesting and also didn't cost anything.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 22:26 - Apr 27 with 3581 viewsBathRanger

Went for a few days last summer and really enjoyed visiting it. It is expensive but seems safe and there's no language problem because everyone speaks English and a lot of signs, menus etc are in English too. There no shortage of pubs, bars and restaurants - pizza and pasta seemed most common. Couldn't find many places open for breakfast, not many places open before 11:00am, but would recommend Greasy Spoon on Hagagatan. It was so popular for brunch, there was a queue out the door. They take a mobile number and text when your table is free.

Depends what you like doing but some suggestions:
- visit the old town and Royal Palace on Gamla Stan
- take a boat trip around the islands
- loads of museums including of course the ABBA museum
- take some beers and food to the hillside at Skinnarviksberget and watch the sun set over the city skyline with everyone else
Login to get fewer ads

Stockholm - anyone been? on 00:01 - Apr 28 with 3504 viewsMrSheen

Years ago so can’t recommend anywhere, but when the sun comes out it’s absolutely gorgeous.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 00:21 - Apr 28 with 3491 viewsdannyblue

Try not to end up in Golden Hits at 2am
Stockholm - anyone been? on 01:16 - Apr 28 with 3476 viewsJustJules

I've lived in Stockholm since 2000, apart from a couple of years living in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.
It's a good quality of life here and a decent standard of living, which in turn means things are are a bit pricier than the UK.

There are plenty of places where you can eat or drink for a decent price.
Try eating a big lunch. A lot of restaurants do 'Dagens Lunch', which is basically a dish of the day. These are usually a lot cheaper than their evening menu and often include salad, bread, a soft drink and coffee.

The tax rate is around 30%, but you get it back in other ways, especially if you have a kid at daycare. It costs about 75 quid a month here. I hear of friends paying a few hundred quid a week for the same thing.

Regarding things to do.
A few of the lads have mentioned some already.
Stockholm is a very walkable city. Most of the things you should see are very central.

Gamla stan :
The old town is a must. Full of fantastic old buildings, the Nobel museum and the royal palace. A large amount of bars and restaurants, many of which have cellars dating back hundreds of years.

Djurgården:
The Vasa Museum is dedicated to a ship that sank on its maiden voyage, that they resurrected from its watery grave (think of the Mary Rose). Basically the water got choppy and the cannons all shifted to one side and tipped the boat over. Good museum though.
If you like museums, check out the Nordic Museum right behind it. My favourite building in Stockholm and some great stuff in there.

On the same island is the Abba Museum, though I would save your money and visit Skansen. A park dedicated to Sweden's culture and history..lots of craft stalls, restaurants and an open air zoo that contains many of Sweden's live animals. Elk, bears, wolverines, seals etc..
Still on Djurgården you have Gröna Lund which is a theme park, catering for all ages with its rides and offerings. It also has lots of live concerts during the summer. https://www.gronalund.com/en

The Archipelago:
It's made up of over 20,000 islands and is my favourite place in Sweden. You can take boats out there all day, it really is incredibly beautiful. Maybe stop off at Vaxholm, a harbour town about an hour or so out from Stockholm. All the boats have a cafe and bar on them too, so you won't need to take a packed lunch.
https://waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor-information

Mosebacketerrassen:
A fantastic place to have a beer in summer and get a view over the whole of Stockholm. It's main function is as a music and entertainment venue. Seen groups like Badly Drawn Boy, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Sleaford Mods, Lloyd Cole, Zero 7 and The Killers (in front of 150 people) here.
https://sodrateatern.com/mosebacketerrassen/

Södermalm is full of restaurants and bars and is kinda trendy. Back in the day you couldn't give apartments away there, but in the mid 90s it started getting gentrified and that all changed.
Lots of cheaper bars there too. It's got something for all tastes. Medborgarplatsen is a square where you can sit in the sun and just people watch at one of its several bars.

Other bars worth a mention..
Wirströms Pub (where I occasionally do a shift). Great selection of beers, show live football and have music on in their 500 year old cellar.
Sturehof, Riche and Berns if you are feeling flush.
Söders Hjärta, Trädgården, Torpedverkstaden, Akkurat are a few other places I like.

On another note. I have met more QPR fans living in Stockholm than I ever did living in England. Admittedly being a Cambridge lad that isn't too surprising.
In the 70s and 80s they would watch the old 1st Division games live on their equivalent to BBC1. Clubs like QPR, Wolves, Stoke, Millwall, Derby, WBA and the like have a decent size following amongst the 40-plussers here.

Anyway..I hope that has given you a few ideas. Feel free to ask me about anything, happy to help.

Cheers, Julian
Stockholm - anyone been? on 08:31 - Apr 28 with 3369 viewsQPROslo

If you get a good weather day a boat trip out among all the islands is a great day out. If you get away from the boat traffic it's incredibly still water and peaceful out there. Have a friend whose family had a cabin out there with a small hut with a sauna right by the sea. You could just jump take a cold swim and jump straight in the hot sauna after. Then grill and beer. Long time ago rock bands played at a place on another nearby small island. Gamla Stan is good for an evening out. Last time I was there there was a pub which had live blues bands playing for no extra charge, forget the name.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:46]
Stockholm - anyone been? on 09:33 - Apr 28 with 3310 viewsslmrstid

Following this as going to Stockholm is on my list of places I want to visit. We did think about doing it this year and doubling up with Copenhagen but we've put it on the backburner for now.

Look to be some good tips!
Stockholm - anyone been? on 09:45 - Apr 28 with 3298 viewsNorthernr

No, but I'm enjoying the syndrome.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 09:58 - Apr 28 with 3260 viewsMaggsinho

I went about 15 years ago and loved it. The centre is nice to just wander around - very pleasant shops, cafes and bars.

Another recommendation for the Vasa museum and also the Moderna Museet if you like modern art
Stockholm - anyone been? on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 3235 viewsswehoops

Stockholm - anyone been? on 09:33 - Apr 28 by slmrstid

Following this as going to Stockholm is on my list of places I want to visit. We did think about doing it this year and doubling up with Copenhagen but we've put it on the backburner for now.

Look to be some good tips!

Include Malmö in that. Great city and good football. Very close too Copenhagen too.
Much cheaper and friendlier than Stockholm.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 10:11 - Apr 28 with 3229 viewsguitarzan

Visited about ten years ago. There was a hotel bar near the main station selling a good range of Belgian beers. Reindeer doesn’t taste very nice.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 10:31 - Apr 28 with 3198 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I went with distortR about thirty years ago and we got chased out of a rockabilly punk gay bar.

This is the 'QPR Confessions' thread, ya?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stockholm - anyone been? on 12:18 - Apr 28 with 3147 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Stockholm - anyone been? on 15:57 - Apr 28 with 3018 viewsBklynRanger

Stockholm - anyone been? on 16:01 - Apr 28 with 2987 viewseastside_r

Somewhat blown away by the response to my little enquiry.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute.
Stockholm - anyone been? on 19:06 - Apr 28 with 2890 viewsNorthantsHoop

Stockholm - anyone been? on 16:01 - Apr 28 by eastside_r

Somewhat blown away by the response to my little enquiry.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute.

Went this week had a lovely 3 days there. Highlights Gamla Stan, recommend free walking tour, superb public transport, ABBA museum was fantastic and the Vasa museum was brilliant. Major coincidence on way out from Heathrow on Sunday met fellow QPR supporter Dale and his wife who sits near me in Upper Loft row JU they were on our flight to Stockholm. Good choice of food, but alcohol expensive, they love coffee and cakes and everything is cashless. The Arlanda Express is the way to go from the airport to Stockhom Central Station takes 18 minutes cost about £32 per person for a round trip and runs every 15 minutes. Public transport is cheap even though it is an expensive city. You can travel on any public transport bus, boat, train, metro within city zones for about £3 fare for 75 minute duration.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 19:07]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024