Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thin Lizzy 14:02 - Nov 16 with 7277 viewsDaBurgh

A story I read a couple weeks ago led me to Phil Lynott which of course was a precursor to listen to the music of Thin lizzy. They were never on my radar in the 70's and 80's and only heard thier 'popular' stuff occasionally on the radio when I arrived in the UK.
Just curious to hear what everyone thought of them, were they taken seriously? Were they good live? I noticed that most of thier songs on YouTube are about 2 to 2.5 mins long which sort of implies they were just a commercial group interested in radio play.
I'd be interested to see what everyone thought of them. I quite like them and think that Mr. Lynott had a great unique voice.
I know they've popped up in various threads before.
Thin Lizzy on 14:10 - Nov 16 with 5561 viewsJuzzie

Good timing as "Vagabonds of the Western World" is being re-released tomorrow as well as a 7" single for "Whiskey In The Jar" (NB: 3CD/BD Vagabonds box set & BD Hi-Fi disc will follow later on).
I've been working on it since July, feels like an eternity!

I liked their stuff when I was younger but didn't listen to anything for ages until the above mentioned album got scheduled in the summer. I listened to "Thin Lizzy Essentials" on Apple music and forgot just how many good songs they did.

edit: in fact, decided to listen to their stuff again so on go the headphones and away we go.....

[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 20:35]
Thin Lizzy on 14:11 - Nov 16 with 5547 viewsQPRSteve

I saw them a few times at the Marquee back in the early 70's. Great band. I was at the gig when Gary Moore, then of Skid Row, deputised for an ill Eric Bell. Probably the best gig I've ever been too.
Thin Lizzy on 14:25 - Nov 16 with 5472 viewsLongsufferingR

One of the first gigs I went to was Thin Lizzy at Hammersmith Odeon on the Renegade tour. Absolutely brilliant. Well worth catching up on the documentary about Phil Lynott (can't remember what channel it was on though).
Thin Lizzy on 14:30 - Nov 16 with 5450 viewsTomS

I'm Irish, so there is naturally a subconscious bias when I'd comment on such bands. But as a schoolkid growing up in Dublin in the years before the Boomtown Rats and U2 they were iconic. The fact that their music has stood the test of time should be an independent testament as to how good they were.

Go on, treat yourself to a listen of their Greatest Hits album.
Thin Lizzy on 14:46 - Nov 16 with 5382 viewswortonr

A few years ago I was teaching a year 11 class who I mainly knew quite well. For some reason ( I was easily distracted..probably a joke from me involving something like “ I see the Boys are back in town”:)
Anyway, this wise guy points to his mate, Neil, and says “ he’s his uncle”, referring to Phil Lynott. I dismissed this as nonsense, mainly on the grounds that they didn’t look remotely similar. Anyway , it was true. Neil’s Auntie was married to Phil. Plus his grandad was Leslie Crowther off The Price is right. These things happen to teachers if you stick at it long enough. Didn’t get any gig invites though.
Thin Lizzy on 14:47 - Nov 16 with 5377 viewsRamseyR

Not my natural go to genre...but Live & Dangerous is one of the best live albums ever IMHO

Think there's also a connection with Stan Bowles and Phil Lynott. They were genuine mates for a while by all accounts.
Thin Lizzy on 14:59 - Nov 16 with 5334 viewsBoston

Very good live band, bought some vinyl but none captured the atmosphere of the gigs, which were raucous. I still have the misprinted ticket for a gig at Hammersmith Odeon some 45 years plus ago.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2023 15:00]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thin Lizzy on 15:11 - Nov 16 with 5306 viewsstevec

I played half a game of snooker with him at Wembley Conservative club.

You’re probably not wondering why only half a game, well the call came out to get a hurry up for anyone who wanted use of the free tickets the Conservative club used to divi up for England internationals. Assume we were playing Ireland but can’t properly remember.

Anyway, don’t tell Bazza. I don’t want this turning into a political scandal.
Login to get fewer ads

Thin Lizzy on 15:27 - Nov 16 with 5272 viewsDorse

Thin Lizzy on 15:11 - Nov 16 by stevec

I played half a game of snooker with him at Wembley Conservative club.

You’re probably not wondering why only half a game, well the call came out to get a hurry up for anyone who wanted use of the free tickets the Conservative club used to divi up for England internationals. Assume we were playing Ireland but can’t properly remember.

Anyway, don’t tell Bazza. I don’t want this turning into a political scandal.

Too late, capitalist running dog!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Thin Lizzy on 15:38 - Nov 16 with 5249 viewsPaddyhoops

Seen them live at the first ever Slane gig in Ireland in 1981 .
Fantastic show supported by Hazel o Conner and some young Irish upstarts called U2.
Brilliant band live and live and dangerous is as good a live album as you will ever hear.
Bad reputation and Johnny the Fox are probably thier best studio albums.
Phil lynott is an icon in my old country and rightly so.
Thin Lizzy on 16:54 - Nov 16 with 5124 viewsToast_R

Probably the best Geezer band of all time to be honest.

The early era with Eric Bell was just a precursor to what came next. After Bell left the band for personal reasons, they recruited a teenage Scottish Guitar whizz kid and a long haired American who’d travelled over as he’d heard the UK was the holy grail of Rock Music. Along with Lynott’s ever growing repertoire or story telling lyrics and frontman appeal, they created an outrageous twin lead sound which peaked on albums Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox and the more polished sounding Bad Reputation. If you ever wondered why the band never made it to the heights of Stadium Rock like many of the lesser talented bands of the era, one word describes the reason – drugs. Robertson was kicked out the band for being just perhaps too young to cope with the fame and became a liability whilst Lynott’s own personal demons with addiction are well documented. Some of the songs he was writing like Opium Trail and Got to Give It Up, were like a sub conscience cry for help that never quite came quick enough for him. The quality of the bands music deteriorated in unison with Lynott’s health over many changes to personnel and bar a few decent songs, they never hit the heights of the Lynott. Robertson and Gorham era. A huge shame really but what a band they were. Too young to have seen them live unfortunately but have seen LimeHouse Lizzy numerous times.
Thin Lizzy on 17:22 - Nov 16 with 5065 viewsNW5Hoop

A band who could touch greatness, but kept letting themselves down because they couldn't string together a run of solid studio albums, and because they couldn't keep a lead guitarist for more than two weeks at a time. Very analagous to UFO, in that their defining statement is a live album, free of studio filler. And also in that their style of hard rock was rather left behind by the rise of NWOBHM. I rather think that anyone who actually dislikes Thin Lizzy has something wrong with them. It's hard to think of a rock band held in more affection, even if no one thinks of them at the level of Zeppelin.
Thin Lizzy on 17:27 - Nov 16 with 5051 viewsHarbour

I saw Thin Lizzy supporting ELO at the Rainbow Theatre in 1973 they were in the Whisky in the Jar era. Long time ago but they were good. Pretty loud for a 14 year old. I think I preferred Thin Lizzy to ELO. Obviously they got better and Live and Dangerous was awesome.
Thin Lizzy on 18:01 - Nov 16 with 4991 viewsBlackCrowe

Saw them at Reading Rock Festival in '83, aged 18. Unfortunately i was worse for wear on scrumpy and don't remember too much about it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Thin Lizzy on 19:02 - Nov 16 with 4873 viewsNoDiddley

Thin Lizzy on 14:47 - Nov 16 by RamseyR

Not my natural go to genre...but Live & Dangerous is one of the best live albums ever IMHO

Think there's also a connection with Stan Bowles and Phil Lynott. They were genuine mates for a while by all accounts.

You’re bang on, I met the pair of them in Morton’s club Berkeley Square in about 1980 after a Rangers game !
Thin Lizzy on 19:04 - Nov 16 with 4872 viewsRebalhoop

Loved Lizzy,was at the Hammersmith Odeon for the Live and Dangerous recording,saw the Jailbreak,Johnny the Fox,Black Rose tours.yes they went downhill at the end,but I just remember the good times,especially Phil Lynott,what a great showman.
Thin Lizzy on 19:04 - Nov 16 with 4872 viewsLanhoop

I was probably at the same Hammersmith show as Longsuffering, still one of the best concerts I've been to. Great band and Live and Dangerous, although it was very produced for a live album is outstanding.
Thin Lizzy on 19:05 - Nov 16 with 4856 viewsBoston

Thin Lizzy on 16:54 - Nov 16 by Toast_R

The early era with Eric Bell was just a precursor to what came next. After Bell left the band for personal reasons, they recruited a teenage Scottish Guitar whizz kid and a long haired American who’d travelled over as he’d heard the UK was the holy grail of Rock Music. Along with Lynott’s ever growing repertoire or story telling lyrics and frontman appeal, they created an outrageous twin lead sound which peaked on albums Jailbreak, Johnny the Fox and the more polished sounding Bad Reputation. If you ever wondered why the band never made it to the heights of Stadium Rock like many of the lesser talented bands of the era, one word describes the reason – drugs. Robertson was kicked out the band for being just perhaps too young to cope with the fame and became a liability whilst Lynott’s own personal demons with addiction are well documented. Some of the songs he was writing like Opium Trail and Got to Give It Up, were like a sub conscience cry for help that never quite came quick enough for him. The quality of the bands music deteriorated in unison with Lynott’s health over many changes to personnel and bar a few decent songs, they never hit the heights of the Lynott. Robertson and Gorham era. A huge shame really but what a band they were. Too young to have seen them live unfortunately but have seen LimeHouse Lizzy numerous times.

Robertson issue was the booze.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thin Lizzy on 19:30 - Nov 16 with 4842 viewsRebalhoop

Thin Lizzy on 15:38 - Nov 16 by Paddyhoops

Seen them live at the first ever Slane gig in Ireland in 1981 .
Fantastic show supported by Hazel o Conner and some young Irish upstarts called U2.
Brilliant band live and live and dangerous is as good a live album as you will ever hear.
Bad reputation and Johnny the Fox are probably thier best studio albums.
Phil lynott is an icon in my old country and rightly so.

One of the gigs I saw they were supported by an Irish punk band The Radiators from Space,they were absolute rubbish,no idea if they had albums before or after.
Thin Lizzy on 20:27 - Nov 16 with 4764 viewsPaddyhoops

Thin Lizzy on 19:30 - Nov 16 by Rebalhoop

One of the gigs I saw they were supported by an Irish punk band The Radiators from Space,they were absolute rubbish,no idea if they had albums before or after.

I’ve heard of them and you’re right. Not very good. Thin Lizzy we’re pretty much the first Irish Rock group to make it over here as paved they way for the all rest to come through.
Some achievement in a land dominated by country and western ballrooms.
Thin Lizzy on 21:12 - Nov 16 with 4719 viewsNoelmc

One of my all-time favourite bands and I was lucky enough to see them live at Hammersmith Odeon several times.

I agree with Toast_R that their best line-up was Lynott, Gorham, Robertson and Downey. At his peak Phil was a wonderful songwriter and charismatic front man. However once drugs took hold he went downhill and tragically died far too young at 36.

Phil and our Stan were good friends (confirmed in their respective biographies) and below there's a link to a photo of them both with Phil sporting the 'hoops', even though he was a Man U fan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBF3IyxDWch/
Thin Lizzy on 23:51 - Nov 16 with 4573 viewsPeterHucker

Thin Lizzy on 19:30 - Nov 16 by Rebalhoop

The Radiators From Space were led by the late Philip Chevron who later on joined The Pogues.
Thin Lizzy on 00:31 - Nov 17 with 4542 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thin Lizzy on 16:54 - Nov 16 by Toast_R

Good summary, but also worth mentioning that the Thunder and Lightning album with John Sykes was a glimpse of what might have been had tragedy not struck.

The final live album ("Life") would maybe be better remembered if it wasn't overshadowed by the success of Live and Dangerous; the version of The Rocker with absolutely every guitarist the band ever had is quite something.
Thin Lizzy on 00:43 - Nov 17 with 4533 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thinking of The Rocker always reminds me of the Not The Nine O'Clock News piece where they dubbed the song over footage of Ian Paisley testiculating: "I am your main man if you're looking for trouble" (all too true.)
Thin Lizzy on 08:25 - Nov 17 with 4403 viewsDaBurgh

Thanks everyone for the stories and background info. I must admit to feeling a certain affinity with Phil Lynott after reading some articles that I found on the web. He seemed like a good guy that just got caught up in the expected rock band drug thing.
As Toast_R said, they really are a geezer band, I like 'em, better late than never.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024