Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) 22:39 - Feb 10 with 3210 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 23:53 - Feb 10 with 3064 viewsT_Block

He is impressive,I always agree with his analysis.I thought both teams were good today.Gut feeling we would have lost that game a month ago.Getting better with each game.Defensive shape very clear today from high up in V-block.Chair puts a lot of defensive work in ,such a hard worker.Their No. 7 was also good.Very very good point.Not many will beat Norwich
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 00:32 - Feb 11 with 2977 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Great post match as always and he hit on a crucial point about the home draw with Huddersfield and forcing in late stoppage time .
That was massive IMO and it showed again today we pulled level when most people thought it was gone and the fighting spirit will help us avoid going down I feel.
He mentioned the offside but no excuses fair play to him but that Ref got a bit strange late on and started giving everything to Norwich which should drop his ratings way down when Clive gets on his report
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 01:57 - Feb 11 with 2835 viewsPunteR

He's a good modern day manager. Talks the talk . We're still third from bottom.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 06:25 - Feb 11 with 2681 viewsWatfordR

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 01:57 - Feb 11 by PunteR

Very very harsh imo.

You can see immediately the difference someone with a striker's instinct up front makes. Massive. For all Dykes work and team ethic, he doesn't possess that utter b@stard selfishness that a striker must have. Frey has it, and if he can stay fit, he'll be the difference between staying up or not.

Good to see Armstrong talking to him after the game and trying to take on board what he was being told. I'd certainly be looking to get them starting together, it'll keep any opposition defence honest and a bit less inclined to push up.

Reminds me a little of where we were during the transfer window when Austin and Johanssen came in. The right signings at the right time to boost us.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 07:45 - Feb 11 with 2577 viewsnix

We are but we’re making progress, especially since the new guys came in: we’ve gained eight points on Stoke in the last four matches. Eleven if we beat them on Wednesday and even five if they beat us. We definitely need to get three points at the very least from the next two matches but Stoke do look in some trouble having not really done anything spectacular to change things around in January.

One thing that makes me a bit nervous is how we drop back so deep late into matches and sometimes earlier. It just seems to encourage teams to push forward and we’re bombarded with corners, crosses and passes and often free kicks. Teams know that we’re vulnerable to free kicks so are very skilled at getting free kicks around our area. Norwich were brilliant at it, conning the ref, falling over under zero pressure from behind, turning and passing sideways and then sticking their leg over the defender so it looks like he’s tripped them etc. it doesn’t work so well when we do it because we’ve been so poor with our own free kicks but Andersson looks like he can whip a ball in so that might finally change as Michi can clearly get on the end of a whipped cross.
[Post edited 11 Feb 7:47]
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 08:14 - Feb 11 with 2471 viewsdmm

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 07:45 - Feb 11 by nix

We are but we’re making progress, especially since the new guys came in: we’ve gained eight points on Stoke in the last four matches. Eleven if we beat them on Wednesday and even five if they beat us. We definitely need to get three points at the very least from the next two matches but Stoke do look in some trouble having not really done anything spectacular to change things around in January.

One thing that makes me a bit nervous is how we drop back so deep late into matches and sometimes earlier. It just seems to encourage teams to push forward and we’re bombarded with corners, crosses and passes and often free kicks. Teams know that we’re vulnerable to free kicks so are very skilled at getting free kicks around our area. Norwich were brilliant at it, conning the ref, falling over under zero pressure from behind, turning and passing sideways and then sticking their leg over the defender so it looks like he’s tripped them etc. it doesn’t work so well when we do it because we’ve been so poor with our own free kicks but Andersson looks like he can whip a ball in so that might finally change as Michi can clearly get on the end of a whipped cross.
[Post edited 11 Feb 7:47]

Your point about us giving away free kicks around our box is one that worries me. We seem to do it a lot and yesterday I was convinced we'd concede from one. We must try to reduce the number of fouls we concede in dangerous areas.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 08:38 - Feb 11 with 2382 viewsnix

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 08:14 - Feb 11 by dmm

Your point about us giving away free kicks around our box is one that worries me. We seem to do it a lot and yesterday I was convinced we'd concede from one. We must try to reduce the number of fouls we concede in dangerous areas.

Yeah, it is a problem . We need to be a bit smarter about this. Not sure how you avoid giving away soft free kicks if the refs are so easily conned though.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 10:37 - Feb 11 with 2142 viewsGaryBannister86

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 06:25 - Feb 11 by WatfordR

Very very harsh imo.

You can see immediately the difference someone with a striker's instinct up front makes. Massive. For all Dykes work and team ethic, he doesn't possess that utter b@stard selfishness that a striker must have. Frey has it, and if he can stay fit, he'll be the difference between staying up or not.

Good to see Armstrong talking to him after the game and trying to take on board what he was being told. I'd certainly be looking to get them starting together, it'll keep any opposition defence honest and a bit less inclined to push up.

Reminds me a little of where we were during the transfer window when Austin and Johanssen came in. The right signings at the right time to boost us.

I hope you are right about Frey and it was certainly a promising start, but I do fear we are all getting a bit carried away on the basis of a 20 minute cameo. I thought he did excellently, but seen it all before in early games for QPR players and you could also argue that he looked like an enormous lump with the pace of an injured Rob Dickie.

I liked him a lot, don't get me wrong, but we've been here before enough times to know it's best to judge him in ten games, not 20 minutes.

And then everyone who seems to take great delight that "he does things Dykes never does" (absolute rubbish, in my opinion) will also very quickly be on here moaning about his lack of mobility.

I hope one swallow makes a summer, I really do. But will it?
Login to get fewer ads

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 11:40 - Feb 11 with 1983 viewsRangersw12

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 10:37 - Feb 11 by GaryBannister86

I hope you are right about Frey and it was certainly a promising start, but I do fear we are all getting a bit carried away on the basis of a 20 minute cameo. I thought he did excellently, but seen it all before in early games for QPR players and you could also argue that he looked like an enormous lump with the pace of an injured Rob Dickie.

I liked him a lot, don't get me wrong, but we've been here before enough times to know it's best to judge him in ten games, not 20 minutes.

And then everyone who seems to take great delight that "he does things Dykes never does" (absolute rubbish, in my opinion) will also very quickly be on here moaning about his lack of mobility.

I hope one swallow makes a summer, I really do. But will it?

My biggest criticism of Dykes is that he doesn't get Infront of the defender and is flat footed

Frey proved within 20 mins he does that better than Dykes . We also seem to have a threat in the box which you can't say we have when Dykes plays.

Like you say though only 20 mins but it was promising and he gives us another option from the bench . Dykes will also have a part to play in keeping us up
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 13:10 - Feb 11 with 1811 viewsaston_hoop

I think if he keeps us up, he'll be in demand by a side with a bigger budget than us. A Norwich for instance! Think he's a super coach and thats showing with him not only identifying the weaknesses in this squad pretty quickly, but mending it to get a tune out of it. I know a lot of fans from other EFL clubs who are looking at him very admiringly right now

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 13:54 - Feb 11 with 1727 viewsJamesB1979

We’d be top half based on games he’s had. It proves what a total mess he was left with.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 14:19 - Feb 11 with 1619 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 13:54 - Feb 11 by JamesB1979

We’d be top half based on games he’s had. It proves what a total mess he was left with.

If the board paid out the compensation and got him in the Summer we could be chasing the top 6 IMO.
Plus a lot of our fans got turned off by the horrible football we were serving up and Marti has rekindled their love and passion again.
Also maybe its just me but not as many players sit down and have to be taken off under this management team just fight on and try to finish the game and get a result .
JCS was struggling for a good chunk of that last quarter according to the commentator yet he battled on even getting booked ( could have had 2 or 3 yellows in total ) and was excellent
Competition for places and this drive and determination to survive is all down to Marti and his system we are starting to see success under him
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:35 - Feb 11 with 1422 viewsPunteR

Just for clarity , i think he's been great for us and we are improving . My post wasnt a Cifuentes out post. Far from it. I hope he stays. But we dropped two points yesterday, at home. Still work to do.
Maybe i was being harsh with what i said but we have dropped points in key games. We need to be better if we are going to get out of the bottom 3.
[Post edited 11 Feb 17:42]

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:43 - Feb 11 with 1387 viewsRangersw12

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:35 - Feb 11 by PunteR

Just for clarity , i think he's been great for us and we are improving . My post wasnt a Cifuentes out post. Far from it. I hope he stays. But we dropped two points yesterday, at home. Still work to do.
Maybe i was being harsh with what i said but we have dropped points in key games. We need to be better if we are going to get out of the bottom 3.
[Post edited 11 Feb 17:42]

I thought it was a point gained as Norwich are a decent side and 4th in the form table
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:49 - Feb 11 with 1359 viewsPunteR

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:43 - Feb 11 by Rangersw12

I thought it was a point gained as Norwich are a decent side and 4th in the form table

3 months ago i probably would have said the same but i think we can do better than that now. We need to be.
[Post edited 11 Feb 20:40]

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 19:55 - Feb 11 with 1145 viewsstainrods_elbow

It's arguably a point gained or two points dropped, given how the match unfolded. I didn't think Norwich were all that on the day and felt Marti bigged them up a bit, as he did us with the Huddersfield result. Spirit and fightback, yes, but that's a given surely, especially in our predicament. The Huddersfield performance still stank/stinks, however much nerves played a part, and a loss at Stoke will keep us right in the doudou.

We're certainly improving and looking much more like a team, and the new arrivals will surely help us a lot, based on what they've shown so far, but I'd say we still need to step it up from here. Two wins, two draws, and two losses in the last six games = 8 points. Replicate that in the next 15 games, and we get to 49 points, which will likely be enough to squeak home. I think we'll do it, but it'll be bumpy.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 20:35 - Feb 11 with 1024 viewsgazza1

Like it or not, we were in a bit of a state when he came in but he appears to have addressed many of our short comings - not only by the signings that we have made, it was happening before that, but also the way we are playing.

He could be something special but lets wait and see for a few more months but so far, so good as they say.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 23:07 - Feb 11 with 841 viewsManinBlack

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 17:49 - Feb 11 by PunteR

3 months ago i probably would have said the same but i think we can do better than that now. We need to be.
[Post edited 11 Feb 20:40]

It feels like throughout 2024 we have only been 3 points away from getting out of the bottom 3 and yet everytime a win would do it we don't deliver. Win at Preston then don't win the next home game, win at Blackburn and then fail to win the next game at home. It has been a theme all season when we win away we then drop points at home.

We need points not plaudits and the home form is what is killing us and preventing us getting out of the drop zone. If we could just win three on the bounce it would give us breathing space. Alas winning back to back is not something we do. Maybe we are improving but not enough points are coming at home and we were garbage in a must win game with Huddersfield when we should have been really up for it.

Also we still have these nasty habits of conceding just before or after half time. Saturday was another example of the early concession in the second half changing the dynamics of the game and before you know it we were losing. Another home game of dropping points. A lot of the visiting teams haven't been all that but we make them look better than they are. I am sick to death of all the away fans having a fun day out at our expense.
[Post edited 11 Feb 23:10]
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 23:22 - Feb 11 with 796 viewsStainrod

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 23:07 - Feb 11 by ManinBlack

It feels like throughout 2024 we have only been 3 points away from getting out of the bottom 3 and yet everytime a win would do it we don't deliver. Win at Preston then don't win the next home game, win at Blackburn and then fail to win the next game at home. It has been a theme all season when we win away we then drop points at home.

We need points not plaudits and the home form is what is killing us and preventing us getting out of the drop zone. If we could just win three on the bounce it would give us breathing space. Alas winning back to back is not something we do. Maybe we are improving but not enough points are coming at home and we were garbage in a must win game with Huddersfield when we should have been really up for it.

Also we still have these nasty habits of conceding just before or after half time. Saturday was another example of the early concession in the second half changing the dynamics of the game and before you know it we were losing. Another home game of dropping points. A lot of the visiting teams haven't been all that but we make them look better than they are. I am sick to death of all the away fans having a fun day out at our expense.
[Post edited 11 Feb 23:10]

Killing us?

As shown on another thread we have gained a large number of points on all our relegation rivals.

Win three games in a row? You don't ask for much! We are trying to avoid relegation, not win the league.

If you look at the six game form table there are several teams losing almost every week. We are 10th in that form table. In other words, we could afford to do a bit LESS well than we have done over the last six games and still stay up. If we simply drew all our remaining games we would probably be safe.

Lets acknowledge the huge progress we are making and not expect the impossible.

February fixtures are favourable. We need to take advantage. If we are out of the bottom three by the end of the month that is a brilliant February.
Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 00:02 - Feb 12 with 729 viewsNed_Kennedys

Cifuentes on Today (Norwich) on 23:22 - Feb 11 by Stainrod

Killing us?

As shown on another thread we have gained a large number of points on all our relegation rivals.

Win three games in a row? You don't ask for much! We are trying to avoid relegation, not win the league.

If you look at the six game form table there are several teams losing almost every week. We are 10th in that form table. In other words, we could afford to do a bit LESS well than we have done over the last six games and still stay up. If we simply drew all our remaining games we would probably be safe.

Lets acknowledge the huge progress we are making and not expect the impossible.

February fixtures are favourable. We need to take advantage. If we are out of the bottom three by the end of the month that is a brilliant February.

If we draw every game left we will be relegated: we are under pressure to win a number of them.

And the teams currently losing more than us will more than likely pick up form again: only Rotherham look doomed at this stage.

Our football is miles better under Cifuentes and the early signs are good with the new lads but it’s results that count. Drawing the last two home games are definitely missed opportunities.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024