Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... 15:57 - Jan 15 with 3838 viewsfLaMeBoY

1/ Thankfully watched from the sofa this week but besides the first 20 minutes it was a case of the ‘same old, same old’ I'm afraid.

2/ Started strongly and faded very badly. The game was over after an hour as we did nothing with no ambition from then. I would have thought we would have been more positive and try and get the equaliser, but is seems we were happy to settle for a 1-0 defeat.

3/ We are so ponderous in possession of the ball, worse than slow motion. Backwards-sideways-backward-slow-slower-standstill-backwards.

4/ Derry had a nightmare game up the booking, from then on he just watched rest of the game pass him by. Derry wasn’t alone as there was a number of either piss poor or bang average performances out there today.

5/ Not wanting to get too picky with that result/performance as I think (hope) next week we will have 3-4 new additions. But honestly I really hope that is the last we see of Bothroyd, Hill, Derry and if we’re being brutally honest you can add Smith, Mackie, Gabbidon and Buzz to that list.

6/ Another bang average performance from our left winger (?) and defensive midfielder (!?) SWP. Not sure what’s up with that lad, though MH didn’t make it easy for him today.

7/ The positives was the first 20 minutes and a much improved performance from Mackie.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 15:59 - Jan 15 with 3019 viewsTopCat34

After a brief spell of pressure after the second half, we settled for a defeat and after the goal went in the players confidence was shattered. A good confidence boost on Tuesday if we can win that one and a few new additions by Saturday and we'll be fine.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:01 - Jan 15 with 2997 viewsQPR_Nippon

Harsh on SWP. There were times when it seemed like he was taking on Newcastle by himself. With better players around him he will look more like what he is - Premiership class - and we don't have too many like that in our squad.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:02 - Jan 15 with 2979 viewsWeAreQPR12

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:01 - Jan 15 by QPR_Nippon

Harsh on SWP. There were times when it seemed like he was taking on Newcastle by himself. With better players around him he will look more like what he is - Premiership class - and we don't have too many like that in our squad.

Agree, it's not easy to look good in this squad full of championship players
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:02 - Jan 15 with 2979 viewsMattnme

We lost the game in midfield where neither Derry or Buzz could get anywhere near the ball when they didn't have it. Derry in particular was woeful and was scared to tackle after the booking this lead upto their goal.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:03 - Jan 15 with 2956 viewsNov77

we knew before the game we'd have a weak team out, under the circumstances i don't think they did too bad, to restrict them to one shot on target shows how organised we were.
also, our three players who are most comfortable on the ball, adel, traore and faurlin were all missing. not easy to replace that.
hughes just needs to make four or five astute signings. i'm sure he recognizes where the problems are.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:04 - Jan 15 with 2949 viewsstuabd

Agreed we started well and Mackie did try hard and did some good things on the ball.

When HH was on the pitch I thought we had our best chance of a goal as at least he can get you a headed goal. After he went off, it was hard to see where the equalizer was going to come from.

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:08 - Jan 15 with 2907 viewskropotkin41

Now I only watched the second half, but it seems to me that they didn't look any better than us at all.

They scored their one shot on target and we missed more than a dozen chances. That was the difference, as simple as that. Bothroyd missed a sitter from inside the box at the start of the 2nd half........... and that was the story.

We need to start scoring goals. Soon. Very soon.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:14 - Jan 15 with 2872 viewsTGRRRSSS

Was a case of lack of bodies inb Buzz case he's played very litle footie this season so harder to get up to match fitness.
Login to get fewer ads

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:52 - Jan 15 with 2744 viewsbigjohnw

Be interested in the views of those who went to the game. From watching on the telly a few points

1. Buzz is not the answer. Apart from the shot he was invisible
2. Not keen on Jay but that is the most running he has done in a hooped shirt
3. Clearly Jay can only play with someone along side him but he still isn't the answer
4. Actually not a bad performance. Worked hard and hit the framework twice.

With better players we may have a chance.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:01 - Jan 15 with 2700 viewsQPR_Nippon

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:52 - Jan 15 by bigjohnw

Be interested in the views of those who went to the game. From watching on the telly a few points

3. Clearly Jay can only play with someone along side him but he still isn't the answer

I thought Buz was far from invisible. He got on the ball a fair bit when he was on and it was he who stood up that excellent ball to the far post that HH knocked down for Bothroyd to squander. Considering how little game time he has had I thought he did quite well.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:09 - Jan 15 with 2663 viewsgobbles

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:52 - Jan 15 by bigjohnw

1. It was Buzz's cross that set up our best chance. He also got in some good tackles, spread the ball well and I particularly remember one pass that split the Newcastle defence. Also remember how little match time he has had.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:12 - Jan 15 with 2641 viewsbigjohnw

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:09 - Jan 15 by gobbles

1. It was Buzz's cross that set up our best chance. He also got in some good tackles, spread the ball well and I particularly remember one pass that split the Newcastle defence. Also remember how little match time he has had.

Interesting how we all see the same game differently.

I thought SWP had a solid game and worked very hard.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:14 - Jan 15 with 2624 viewsstuabd

I thought Buzz did ok and when his fitness levels get up to the level Hughes requires we might see the best of him.

I remember one good corner from Buzz and that's one more than we've had over the last month or two.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:14 - Jan 15 with 2624 viewsWatfordR

Agree. Don't think he'll be the answer long term though, think Barton needs a quicker, more defensive minded partner.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:30 - Jan 15 with 2567 viewsgobbles

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:14 - Jan 15 by WatfordR

Agree. Don't think he'll be the answer long term though, think Barton needs a quicker, more defensive minded partner.

I think we need someone who can pass the ball and get the opposition backing off
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:37 - Jan 15 with 2530 viewsGloucs_R

Buzz delivered good set pieces but was missing most of the match
JB played well IMO but needs Sparky to teach him how to finish
Mackie gives 110% but not sure that is enough at this level
Paddy was just as much to blame for their goal, his positioning was all wrong
We couldnt put together 5 passes

BUT.....WE CREATED CHANCES TODAY. So lets take that as a positive. We had more shots on goal today than I remember us having for a long time.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:41 - Jan 15 with 2521 viewsWatfordR

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:30 - Jan 15 by gobbles

I think we need someone who can pass the ball and get the opposition backing off

A Tiote type player next to Barton would be my preference, with Traore/Hoilett on the left, SWP on the right.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:41 - Jan 15 with 2505 viewsGloucs_R

We seemed very narrow at times today.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 17:59 - Jan 15 with 2465 viewswestberksr

considering how off the pace he must be due to lack of matches I didn't think Buzz was that bad. Also had a decent effort in the first half from outside the box.

SWP doing what he's told to help cover some of the other deficiencies I suspect; although I might be wide of the mark there.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:12 - Jan 15 with 2409 viewsFearless

On train back - few comments :

Better shape 1st 20 mins and really took the game to them.

Game changed on Derrys booking - turned wrong way, blind pass to give the ball away and bit of a wild lunge.

Bothroyd put in more effort but is woeful in front of goal.

Young done (yet again, pet subject of mine) for the goal

Gabbidon drives me crazy - cant kick a ball straight.

SWP - slows down every attack by cutting back, doesn't beat player and appears to be shot on confidence - thought hitting the bar may have helped - but it didn't seem to - second half was at CB at one point, then defensive on front of the defence, then in the hole behind macheda - very strange.

Derry should have gone off as was scared to tackle after the yellow.

Oh well
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:16 - Jan 15 with 2386 viewsMonahoop

Agree with flameBoy's original post. A good first quarter of an hour but once we conceded we didn't seem hungry enough to make a real fight of things. Newcastle's strength was their rock solid midfield. We couldn't cope with it by trying to pass our way through.
I know we had a weakened side out there today, but Mr Hughes has really got his work cut out now to improve things. Up until now I have been patient with Bothroyd, but today I just wanted to throw my beer at the tv screen in frustration with his finishing, apart from the chance where he hit the woodwork. Not sure he'll be around much longer. Mackie I thought did ok and Derry improved slightly in the second half but is really beginning to find life at this level too much now.New blood desperately needed.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:17 - Jan 15 with 2374 viewsWatfordR

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:12 - Jan 15 by Fearless

Game changed on Derrys booking - turned wrong way, blind pass to give the ball away and bit of a wild lunge.

SWP - slows down every attack by cutting back, doesn't beat player and appears to be shot on confidence - thought hitting the bar may have helped - but it didn't seem to - second half was at CB at one point, then defensive on front of the defence, then in the hole behind macheda - very strange.

Oh well

Re Young, the goal was down to Hill playing Best onside. Young was doing what he was supposed to, keeping a line with the rest of his defence. He then had to get back and try to stop Best, and got done by some good skill.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:19 - Jan 15 with 2366 viewsstuabd

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:12 - Jan 15 by Fearless

Oh well

Yeah, Derry had 2 chances to get a tackle in for their goal but obviously knew one mis-timed tackle and he was off.
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 18:41 - Jan 15 with 2269 viewsHulaHoop

Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 16:02 - Jan 15 by WeAreQPR12

Agree, it's not easy to look good in this squad full of championship players

It kills me to say it, as I thought the Gooners would do us a favour, but Swansea are indeed a "squad full of Championship players"... There said it!!
Just got back, a few thoughts/observations.... on 19:40 - Jan 15 with 2168 viewsderbyhoop

On the plus side we looked committed and well organised. They barely created a chance all game and you can see why, without Demba Ba, they struggle to score goals.
For a player who has barely featured and is supposedly carrying a dodgy knee, Buzsaky did much better than I expected but couldn't last the pace.
But, at no time in the last 30 minutes, could I see us scoring. The original post summed it up for me.
"3/ We are so ponderous in possession of the ball, worse than slow motion. Backwards-sideways-backward-slow-slower-standstill-backwards. "
Both HH and Bothroyd did a decent job of showing for and holding the ball. But where was the support. If it got there at all, it was too late. Still, any side with both Derry and Mackie in midfield is not going to unpick many PL defences.
People say we created chances. I disagree. We had a fair number of efforts on goal, admittedly. But did Krul have a difficult save to make? Most of our efforts came from outside the box and were pretty tame. The 2 exceptions were Mackie blazing over the bar and Bothroyd doing the same.
Something to build on maybe. But without some quality additions it looks like a side that will be heading down in May.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024