Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hughes' obsession with stats 13:11 - Nov 6 with 3341 viewsWesty75

Just idle speculation but i wonder whether Hughes' obsession with ProZone and stats could be clouding his judgement when it comes to selecting players and tactics. I read a piece the other day about just how much stock he puts in stats, having microchips sewn into players' shirts to track their movement in games etc. I just wonder whether he's putting too much faith in this at the expense of good old fashioned man-management and trusting your own instincts...

Hughes' obsession with stats on 13:51 - Nov 6 with 3315 viewswombat

with hed insist on a remote control unit put in the players shirts for those moment they forget they are footballers and need to defend a bit more

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Hughes' obsession with stats on 13:59 - Nov 6 with 3294 viewsNeil_SI

The science side is important, so we should welcome that as data as it's valuable. I have used Amisco/ProZone for many years and it's an incredibly impressive tool, one rich with information to use however you see fit.

It can help on a tactical level as well as a physical performance one. But obviously that information needs to be interpreted and used correctly for it to be beneficial and there is no set method or way of analysing it.
Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:15 - Nov 6 with 3279 viewslondonscottish

Can Prozone actually detect any movement by Ferdinand off the ball? I thought it wouldn't register any movement that couldn't be detected by the human eye.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:32 - Nov 6 with 3267 viewsNeil_SI

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:15 - Nov 6 by londonscottish

Can Prozone actually detect any movement by Ferdinand off the ball? I thought it wouldn't register any movement that couldn't be detected by the human eye.

Heh, well for all we know, the defence could have been instructed to stay deep and come out slowly. I don't know why that would be the case, but it's possible. Maybe they were worried by Reading's pace on the flanks, or whatever, who knows?

Amisco (who actually were bigger than ProZone and bought ProZone) can do all sorts of fancy things. It can tell you how far away he was from any player at any time, how far away he was from the ball, how fast he moved, how many sprints he did, how far he ran, his average position on the pitch, the successful and unsuccessful passes, tackles and headers he made, and so on.

They will probably use some of this information to guide them on performance levels, as there will be standards and targets that most players at peak fitness would reach. If he's not within that bracket, you can tell if he has been slacking or not.

You can spot when a player is carrying a knock as well, because you can see patterns and dips, or when a player has become fatigued if they can't sustain their levels over a period of time (usually short blocks of five minutes or so).

And any number of other ways you can interpret the data. One of the cool things you can do is link players or draw boxes that connect certain players together, so you might work out that on average, this game, he was x metres further away to Ryan Nelsen or Samba Diakite than normal. Then you can go about trying to figure out why.

Some of the other cool stuff shows averages and patterns, so you can see what the most used combinations of passes between certain players were, an where on average they took place on the field.

This gets really interesting from set plays. If you get hold of this data for opposing teams, you can work on patterns of attack. So you might spot three or four trends from when the keeper has the ball, and how a side builds its attack, and so on.

A great tool.

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:57 - Nov 6 with 3250 viewsA40Bosh

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:32 - Nov 6 by Neil_SI

Heh, well for all we know, the defence could have been instructed to stay deep and come out slowly. I don't know why that would be the case, but it's possible. Maybe they were worried by Reading's pace on the flanks, or whatever, who knows?

Amisco (who actually were bigger than ProZone and bought ProZone) can do all sorts of fancy things. It can tell you how far away he was from any player at any time, how far away he was from the ball, how fast he moved, how many sprints he did, how far he ran, his average position on the pitch, the successful and unsuccessful passes, tackles and headers he made, and so on.

They will probably use some of this information to guide them on performance levels, as there will be standards and targets that most players at peak fitness would reach. If he's not within that bracket, you can tell if he has been slacking or not.

You can spot when a player is carrying a knock as well, because you can see patterns and dips, or when a player has become fatigued if they can't sustain their levels over a period of time (usually short blocks of five minutes or so).

And any number of other ways you can interpret the data. One of the cool things you can do is link players or draw boxes that connect certain players together, so you might work out that on average, this game, he was x metres further away to Ryan Nelsen or Samba Diakite than normal. Then you can go about trying to figure out why.

Some of the other cool stuff shows averages and patterns, so you can see what the most used combinations of passes between certain players were, an where on average they took place on the field.

This gets really interesting from set plays. If you get hold of this data for opposing teams, you can work on patterns of attack. So you might spot three or four trends from when the keeper has the ball, and how a side builds its attack, and so on.

A great tool.

Neil,

With your obvious knowledge of this environment would you say that the fitness levels demanded on the modern professional footballer are so extreme, that it has got to the point where coaches and physios are balancing what is realistically achieveable by an individual against causing them to be constantly breaking down due to over exertion of muscles and ligaments within the average fit person?

Where I am coming from is that for example you often have posts that slate footballers for complaining about having to play too many games or play two games in one week. Is this fair criticism of pampared spoilt playboys, or is it the case that the speed and intensity of the modern premier league game means that an average player puts the same endeavour into their 90mins as a professional leading marathon runner puts into their performance and does not tend to run a marathon twice a week?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:24 - Nov 6 with 3230 viewsNeil_SI

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:57 - Nov 6 by A40Bosh

Neil,

With your obvious knowledge of this environment would you say that the fitness levels demanded on the modern professional footballer are so extreme, that it has got to the point where coaches and physios are balancing what is realistically achieveable by an individual against causing them to be constantly breaking down due to over exertion of muscles and ligaments within the average fit person?

Where I am coming from is that for example you often have posts that slate footballers for complaining about having to play too many games or play two games in one week. Is this fair criticism of pampared spoilt playboys, or is it the case that the speed and intensity of the modern premier league game means that an average player puts the same endeavour into their 90mins as a professional leading marathon runner puts into their performance and does not tend to run a marathon twice a week?

From my point view, the demands placed on the players are pretty incredible and somewhat extreme. They have to be spot on physically to be able to compete week in, week out, at the level they're expected.

To compete in this country most of the professional players, particularly the higher up the chain you go, really need to be athletes before anything else. It's also why the science behind recovery and rehabilitation is very important, and is actually and area Mark Hughes and his team pay a lot of attention to and value.

It's a lot to deal with when you factor in so many other factors, like training, travelling and being away from home. These are real people who have families, friends and children. Some people travel worse than others, some people find staying away from home more difficult to deal with than others. It's easy to say that a person earns x amount and that they shouldn't complain, but these are common problems that affect a lot of people right across society.

We did have a period of years where the science meant that teams accelerated to the top because they acquired more athletes than anybody else. We had this for a while with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. They were very physical and won silverware as a result, but they weren't too technical. They played effective football and concentrated on probability and percentage based approaches (i.e. employing good fundamentals at throw ins, set plays, goal kicks, etc) and suffocating sides who were better in open play.

Since then, the rest has started to catch up, so where every player is now a little bit more of an athlete than in the past. Hence, the rise again of more technical players and probably why Arsene Wenger decided to switch his philosophy to a younger and more technically gifted approach rather than being all about pace and power.

The slowest footballers are still probably much faster on the whole than you and I, but that's because the fastest and the fittest are just that, so bloody fast and fit.

A few months ago, and largely off the back of Olympic inspiration, I decided I would start going to the gym every single working day and it's now been over three months since I did that. My fitness levels have gone through the roof, and I bought a heart rate monitor and belt to monitor everything I did because I was interested. I'm still, after all this time, despite eating relatively healthy and doing all the right things, no where near the same level as a professional footballer.

I wear these devices when I play so I can track various details about my performance, and I've used it to really drive myself to improve my fitness levels and understand where I needed to put more or less effort in. It's certainly helped, but it also amazes me at the same time at how fast and hard, on average, those players are moving and at how close to maximum their bodies must be a lot of the time.

Recovery has also been hard. Cold showers help and being really strict about diet and getting good rest and sleep. ;)

You can't compete in the top flight by being lazy, you'll definitely get found out. But I'd imagine a lot of players play with knocks, niggles and aches and pains. When you think about it though, these are professional sportsmen. If they are all at a relatively high fitness level, which they are and have to be to compete, you then have to apply your skills on top of that as a football player and that's not easy. It's no surprise some of them struggle to find form at times, or maintain it, as it's a job and a half having to physically compete in the first place.

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:29 - Nov 6 with 3218 viewsNW5Hoop

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:24 - Nov 6 by Neil_SI

From my point view, the demands placed on the players are pretty incredible and somewhat extreme. They have to be spot on physically to be able to compete week in, week out, at the level they're expected.

To compete in this country most of the professional players, particularly the higher up the chain you go, really need to be athletes before anything else. It's also why the science behind recovery and rehabilitation is very important, and is actually and area Mark Hughes and his team pay a lot of attention to and value.

It's a lot to deal with when you factor in so many other factors, like training, travelling and being away from home. These are real people who have families, friends and children. Some people travel worse than others, some people find staying away from home more difficult to deal with than others. It's easy to say that a person earns x amount and that they shouldn't complain, but these are common problems that affect a lot of people right across society.

We did have a period of years where the science meant that teams accelerated to the top because they acquired more athletes than anybody else. We had this for a while with Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. They were very physical and won silverware as a result, but they weren't too technical. They played effective football and concentrated on probability and percentage based approaches (i.e. employing good fundamentals at throw ins, set plays, goal kicks, etc) and suffocating sides who were better in open play.

Since then, the rest has started to catch up, so where every player is now a little bit more of an athlete than in the past. Hence, the rise again of more technical players and probably why Arsene Wenger decided to switch his philosophy to a younger and more technically gifted approach rather than being all about pace and power.

The slowest footballers are still probably much faster on the whole than you and I, but that's because the fastest and the fittest are just that, so bloody fast and fit.

A few months ago, and largely off the back of Olympic inspiration, I decided I would start going to the gym every single working day and it's now been over three months since I did that. My fitness levels have gone through the roof, and I bought a heart rate monitor and belt to monitor everything I did because I was interested. I'm still, after all this time, despite eating relatively healthy and doing all the right things, no where near the same level as a professional footballer.

I wear these devices when I play so I can track various details about my performance, and I've used it to really drive myself to improve my fitness levels and understand where I needed to put more or less effort in. It's certainly helped, but it also amazes me at the same time at how fast and hard, on average, those players are moving and at how close to maximum their bodies must be a lot of the time.

Recovery has also been hard. Cold showers help and being really strict about diet and getting good rest and sleep. ;)

You can't compete in the top flight by being lazy, you'll definitely get found out. But I'd imagine a lot of players play with knocks, niggles and aches and pains. When you think about it though, these are professional sportsmen. If they are all at a relatively high fitness level, which they are and have to be to compete, you then have to apply your skills on top of that as a football player and that's not easy. It's no surprise some of them struggle to find form at times, or maintain it, as it's a job and a half having to physically compete in the first place.

Fascinating post. Thank you.
Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:30 - Nov 6 with 3214 viewsTacticalR

I think cold showers are the answer.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:34 - Nov 6 with 3206 viewsderbyhoop

I'd heard rumours about when Cantona retired from football and that was because he came back for pre-season training and was well below the fitness level of the previous year. SAF wouldn't tolerate that with a player as iconic as Cantona. And he's not the only one (Ji Sung Park?) to be shown the exit by a manager more renowned for his motivational skills than a reliance on sports scientists.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:59 - Nov 6 with 3197 viewsA40Bosh

That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of affirming my belief that professional footballers, whilst being expected to be machines, have one big failing, that they are human and also live human lives when not on the pitch in front of the cameras.

Great response mate thanks.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:08 - Nov 6 with 3182 viewswombat

Hughes' obsession with stats on 15:59 - Nov 6 by A40Bosh

That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of affirming my belief that professional footballers, whilst being expected to be machines, have one big failing, that they are human and also live human lives when not on the pitch in front of the cameras.

Great response mate thanks.

so MH uses prozone to help team selection

and prozac for his pre match team talks

lets hope he dosnt prolapse us into the championship

anyone seen my scarf around ?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:10 - Nov 6 with 3176 viewstoboboly

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:08 - Nov 6 by wombat

so MH uses prozone to help team selection

and prozac for his pre match team talks

lets hope he dosnt prolapse us into the championship

anyone seen my scarf around ?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Probably.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:13 - Nov 6 with 3172 viewsfakekerby

Hughes' obsession with stats on 14:32 - Nov 6 by Neil_SI

A great tool.

Neil,

Just wanted to pick up on this one point:

"You can spot when a player is carrying a knock as well, because you can see patterns and dips, or when a player has become fatigued if they can't sustain their levels over a period of time (usually short blocks of five minutes or so)."

I don't really understand what Hughes is doing with this information or using his own eyes for during a game because for the past couple of games Traore has been crying bloody murder over being 'injured' at around 70 minutes and been allowed to keep up the facade for 10-15 minutes before being subbed.

Also, on Saturday, Hoilett looked absolutely shattered for most of the second half, so why he wasn't subbed when the physical demands of the premiership are so high I just don't understand.
Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:18 - Nov 6 with 3167 viewsA40Bosh

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:13 - Nov 6 by fakekerby

Neil,

"You can spot when a player is carrying a knock as well, because you can see patterns and dips, or when a player has become fatigued if they can't sustain their levels over a period of time (usually short blocks of five minutes or so)."

I don't really understand what Hughes is doing with this information or using his own eyes for during a game because for the past couple of games Traore has been crying bloody murder over being 'injured' at around 70 minutes and been allowed to keep up the facade for 10-15 minutes before being subbed.

Also, on Saturday, Hoilett looked absolutely shattered for most of the second half, so why he wasn't subbed when the physical demands of the premiership are so high I just don't understand.

Well, I for one was keeping an eye on this because like Clive I was in SAR behind the dugouts, albeit too far back to hear much, but I could see MH looking over at Traore remonstrating and I was wondering if it was going through MH mind that he wanted to make positive changes to try and go on and win the game and here yet again is Mr Fragile wanting to come off because he feels a bit stiff. Perhaps he was hanging on hoping that Traore would shake it off or just get on with it so that he could throw attackers on.

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:30 - Nov 6 with 3154 viewsNeil_SI

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:13 - Nov 6 by fakekerby

Neil,

I think they're playing it by ear with Traore, because they've spoken about this problem where he can't complete training or matches due to the nature of his injury.

Perhaps they think some of it is psychological and are trying to force him through it to build his confidence that he can actually finish the match in one piece. Sometimes some injuries also need to go through the pain barrier in terms of rehabilitation to regain full recovery.

As for the Hoilett situation, well, it's a hard one. They may have hired somebody to anaylse the first half stats and that person will provide a quick series of pre-set reports that the staff like to use to measure certain things. But they don't have access to minute by minute data, it's more something they analyse afterwards and over a period of time to check for trends (if that makes sense).

I found my own stats (not ProZone, just from my heart rate monitor) quite interesting because they reflect my style as a player. I start slowly but often it's because I'm analysing the opposition and seeing what the ebb and flow is like, I'm looking at players who are on their game and those who aren't, spotting any technical flaws with first touch and so on...and then I slowly pounce. My stats clearly show this as I'm not running as much and not sprinting as much, and then suddenly I pick up the pace.

Similarly I always preserve myself for the latter stages of a match. I pace myself in the middle (unless the game calls for me to be all out by the way it's panning out) and then I really exhort myself on others towards the end of the match and you can really see this from my personal stats, but that has allowed me to see how much "coasting" I'm doing and realising I can actually pick up the pace in those moments too. I liken this to taking players out to sea and then drowning them, but this is easier to do at a non professional or lower level of football when there are wildly varying levels of fitness.

It's still possible at the top end of course, but more on a collective level, or by intelligent use of substitutes at the right time. Jimmy Kebe's pace for example on the counter against us was always going to cause problems. It would have caused us problems from the outset, but when you're in the middle of a battle, the game is tight and everybody's on edge at one one and not sure whether to go for it or not, the last thing you want is someone who is lighting quick and can dribble the ball over lengthy distances.

p.s. for what it's worth I didn't notice that Hoilett was shattered, but he had quiet patches or periods where we didn't see a lot of him.
Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:36 - Nov 6 with 3136 viewsstowmarketrange

During the second half of the debacle that was the Swansea rout,two men were up on the roof of the South Africa road stand fiddling with the prozone cameras.I thought at first they were jumpers trying to get the game abandonned.
Now I see they were trying to cover them up so that it wouldn't show the lack of movement in some of our players.
Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:40 - Nov 6 with 3127 viewswombat

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:36 - Nov 6 by stowmarketrange

During the second half of the debacle that was the Swansea rout,two men were up on the roof of the South Africa road stand fiddling with the prozone cameras.I thought at first they were jumpers trying to get the game abandonned.
Now I see they were trying to cover them up so that it wouldn't show the lack of movement in some of our players.

they were probably trying to see if the cameras were broke as some of the players werent registering movement on he cameras

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:52 - Nov 6 with 3109 viewsexiled_dictator

Surely the only stats that matter at the moment are:

Played: 10
GD: -11
Points on board: 4
Position: Up $hit creek

It's all very well having all these stats, but if the players are simply not pulling their weight, not motivated or simply earn too much money, then to quote Mark Twain:
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:56 - Nov 6 with 3100 viewsbeeeater

Call me old school if you like , but I do believe you can get too bogged down with stats. The simpler you keep it for most footballers the better. just let them play and enjoy it .
Hughes' obsession with stats on 17:01 - Nov 6 with 3094 viewsNeil_SI

Hughes' obsession with stats on 16:56 - Nov 6 by beeeater

Call me old school if you like , but I do believe you can get too bogged down with stats. The simpler you keep it for most footballers the better. just let them play and enjoy it .

I don't necessarily disagree, but they can be interesting depending on how you use them and what for.

Here's something for a bit of fun...

These are some stats from a lunch time five-a-side game for my work team.

I scored after a few minutes and my heart rate, through either adrenaline or from the amount of force of the shot, shoots through the roof and hits 196 BPM. I found that fascinating and is the only time since I've been using this stuff that I've seen that happen.

I then take a dip as we have rolling subs and went off for a wee while before coming back on.

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move8123725

Or this one, an evening fives, where a couple of dips represent when I went in goal, as we play rolling keepers:

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move7987052
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024