Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reality check 13:54 - Aug 19 with 2333 viewsWesty75

I've noticed there is currently a lot of criticism on this board in particular about Harry's penchant for signing older players (Konchesky being the latest). While I understand the view that we should be taking a more long term approach and building a team of young hungry players for the future I think many of you are missing the bloody great elephant in the room that is that we are in a f*ckload of debt and TF has clearly told Redknapp to do what is necessary (within an appropriate budget) to get us promoted this season, I think it's probably essential for the long term wellbeing of the club that we get up, if not this season, then the next. After that I think things are going to start looking somewhat stretched on the budget side of things....
When/if we get promoted, we can then start focusing on building the club for the future, no doubt with a new manager in charge within a few years (getting Harry in was obviously a fairly short term approach to either save us from relegation or get us promoted were we to go down). Some will say that in signing older players we're simply compounding the errors of last season to which i would say two things:

- The type of player we are signing, regardless of age, are very different in attitude to those we have been signing over the last couple of years.
- While it would be great to introduce a complete change in transfer policy overnight (developing players, long term approach) it's just not that simple for the reasons above.

So those of you that think we should be focusing on youth at the expense of short term success, i think a reality check is in order. The likes of Dunne, O'Neil and Konchesky may not get the pulse racing (although O'Neil looked pretty exciting to me on Saturday), but if we want to get out of this league in the next couple of years we're going to need that kind of solidity and experience, just as Warnock did with Derry and Hill.

So how's about we all stop griping and get a bit of unity going, it's a long bloody season and the team will need all the support they can get.

Reality check on 13:59 - Aug 19 with 2316 viewsthemodfather

ecperience is needed at this level, mixed with youthful legs and a proven goal scorer or two.
whatever is said on an mb, at games qpr fans have been overall behind the team, some frustration at huddersfield cos we should have won but especially v ipswich the fans roused in the last 15 mins...a few corners got the place singing
and the goal was wildly celebrated.
we're qpr, we love a row!
Reality check on 14:08 - Aug 19 with 2264 viewsadhoc_qpr

i think it's because as fans we're in this for the long term, while Harry in particular and Tony are looking at the immediate future (12 - 24 months at most).

If we were to spend 2 or 3 seasons in the Championship building a team combining useful vets with up and coming young players ready to step up to the prem and with a few academy prospects starting to emerge - i'd be delighted with that.

Harry though is retiring in a few years max and Tony is the one who has to foot the bill for paying Park, Granero, Remy, Cesar etc NOT to play for us - unsurprisingly both are looking at an immediate return.

On the positive side the signings so far are doing well and most are only on a years contract, so the club has clearly learnt some lessons.

Plus if we did go up (unlikely though that seems) the likes of Green, Simpson, Onouha, O'Neill, Barton, Hoillett and Austin could form a solid spine for a prem team too.
Reality check on 14:18 - Aug 19 with 2227 viewsSussexR

Good post, agree totally.

I just hope that the owners/Board have learnt from their mistakes.
Reality check on 14:22 - Aug 19 with 2214 viewsJuzzie

I've no problem with the club signing a few experienced pro's as long as the contract/terms isn't 5 years and £65k a week.

Dunne was a good example of how it can be done.
Reality check on 14:24 - Aug 19 with 2205 viewswittle

Reality check on 14:08 - Aug 19 by adhoc_qpr

i think it's because as fans we're in this for the long term, while Harry in particular and Tony are looking at the immediate future (12 - 24 months at most).

If we were to spend 2 or 3 seasons in the Championship building a team combining useful vets with up and coming young players ready to step up to the prem and with a few academy prospects starting to emerge - i'd be delighted with that.

Harry though is retiring in a few years max and Tony is the one who has to foot the bill for paying Park, Granero, Remy, Cesar etc NOT to play for us - unsurprisingly both are looking at an immediate return.

On the positive side the signings so far are doing well and most are only on a years contract, so the club has clearly learnt some lessons.

Plus if we did go up (unlikely though that seems) the likes of Green, Simpson, Onouha, O'Neill, Barton, Hoillett and Austin could form a solid spine for a prem team too.

thats all well and good but if you have young talented players and are stuck in the championship for 2 or 3 seasons the chances are a premier league side will come along and take them and rip the heart out of the side you are trying to put together.Harrys objective is to get promoted this season and i agree with him.
Reality check on 14:45 - Aug 19 with 2158 viewssimmo

Reality check on 14:08 - Aug 19 by adhoc_qpr

Entirely this.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024