Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bees stung by JD inspired U's at WHCS - Durham's view 14:34 - Apr 28 with 372 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday was a great day for the U’s; a thoroughly justified and deserved victory over a team already promoted to the Championship, virtual mathematical safety from relegation barring a freak 17 goal last day turnaround and some of the future stars of tomorrow paraded for the faithful to see.

Five promising eight year olds signing contracts, together with their parents and JD and RC made for an interesting spectacle before the game.

Deserved supporter and Colchester Hospital Radio awards for Sam Walker and Jabo Ibehre just before kick off were well received by all.

In fact plaudits all around; to the Groundsman and his team who had prepared an excellent playing surface, to JD for playing positively from the outset, to the supporters (especially the home support which was unwavering) who created an excellent atmosphere and to the stadium staff who managed a decent sized crowd of 6,400 impeccably.

Good also to see Bees supporters applauding Marcus Bean especially after he deservedly put the U’s ahead on 29 minutes.

The steak and IPA pie was also very good with excellent rich gravy and tasty steak and a delicious pie crust.

Indeed I read today that attendances at the WHCS for 2013/14 were up 6% at an average of 3,735.

So it’s all good then. Well almost, I am very disappointed that the U’s found themselves in a similar predicament to last season and that we suffered 10 home defeats at the WHCS. We must do better next season.

I drove down from Durham with my youngest son early on Saturday morning. Traffic was relatively light for the 260 mile journey with one stop at Peterbore services.

Car parking at the Stadium; we had our best spot yet in the second row and were surrounded by Range Rovers! Still you can’t have everything!

It was good to see Magnus on the front cover of the programme. Although not present on Saturday, he has had a storming season at the back and we look forward to welcoming him back next year.

Pre-match atmosphere was very good, but no-one had predicted such an eventful match or scoreline. Brentford brought a miserly 2,343 supporters (only joking) to swell the 4,057 U’s fans and the 6,400 created a great deal of noise and respective support.

The weather (13.5 degrees) was bright with some sunshine, albeit a little cool. We were sitting in the West Stand (W3) and after being smoked out by the pre-match BBQ, we looked forward with some relish to our evening meal in Braintree later on!

JD was forced to make one change from the Crewe game. Ryan Dickson returning to Left Back and the impressive Alex Wynter moving to his preferred Centre Half role.

The now familiar 4,2,3,1 formation lined up thus:

Walker

Wilson Wynter Eastman Dickson

Bean Gilbey

Massey Sears Watt

Ibehre

Subs:

Cousins, Wright (David), Szmodics, Wright (Drey) Eastmond, Vose, Morrison

Colchester more than matched their illustrious visitors in the early stages and Jabo Ibehre will know that he should have put the U’s ahead after less than 4 minutes. He seemed to be looking for an offside flag that never came and he screwed his shot wide of the left hand upright.

Other chances followed; Sears, Watt and Ibehre were all looking sharp and industrious. Now the Bees manager Mark Warburton stated after the game that this was their worst display since he took over from Rosler. I don’t buy into that, credit needs to be given to the U’s who didn’t let them play.

Additionally before the match I read one of the most biased and condescending blogs from a misguided Bee (perhaps he was a Hornet). Reading such illiterate nonsense only spurred me to wish that Colchester would tear them apart today and we did.

Now as you would expect the Bees wanted to let off a bit of steam with cries of “We are going up” and then they started a huge conga behind the goal.

After 29 minutes the calamitous Alan McCormack (who had a horror show throughout) committed a foul and from the resultant free kick, expertly delivered by Brian Wilson, ex Bee Marcus Bean nipped in to score past the helpless Keeper Button. Marcus showed great restraint in his muted celebrations and in fairness to the Bees they applauded his contribution.

There was hardly time to draw breath before Ryan Dickson swung over an inviting corner which the excellent Alex Wynter (if there is the remotest chance, could we sign him up from Palace!) rose to head firmly past the Keeper. So 2-0 and the U’s were in control.

That definitely quietened the Brentford hoards and it was the U’s faithful opportunity to commence a conga of their own behind the goal with Eddie in close pursuit! I didn’t see Noah in the melee but I am sure he would have been there!

When McCormack brought Sanchez Watt down in the box after 41 minutes, the U’s were in dreamland. Sanchez stood over the ball before Freddie Sears took the ball and despatched it into the left hand corner whilst sending Button the wrong way. 3-0 to the U’s who were feted with “We are staying up” by the Col U faithful.

The Bees fell silent, overcome by a combination of the BBQ smoke and the shock of a three goal deficit. Just as we hoped to take our lead to the interval an impressive strike from Dallas reduced the arrears to 3-1.

There was a buzz about the place at half time, Stevenage had been despatched 4-0 at Christmas, but this was something else. Pure attacking football, chances created and taken, the U’s were good value for the lead.

Brian Wilson (injury) was replaced by David Wright at half time and he moved to centre back with Wynter dropping in a right back. A truly versatile and impressive young footballer. Brentford huffed and puffed without truly threatening Sam Walker, who is now surely about 9ft 6ins tall never mind the stated 7ft by the faithful!

I read today that the average height of Goalkeepers today is just over 6ft 3ins tall, an increase of about 3ins since the 1970’s. Fact.

The second half onslaught from the Bees never really materialised and worse was to come for them, Tarkowski the centre half and Keeper Button got into a tangle on 64 minutes, Freddie Sears nipped in and accepted the gift and despatched the ball for a 4-1 lead. That extinguished any Brentford fight back and the U’s threatened more goals encouraged by “We want 5 from the faithful”.

Sears was replaced by Craig Eastmond after 70 minutes and if Brentford thought that things couldn’t get any worse, they most certainly did. The over eager Alex Gilbey brought down Judge on 75 mins in front of the 2,300 Bees. The referee pointed to the spot.

Sam Walker, now close to 10ft tall, dived to his right and deservedly saved the resultant Judge penalty. Cue scenes of jubilation from the serried ranks of U’s fans. The Bees looked crestfallen, the U’s by contrast were ecstatic.

Dominic Vose replaced Gavin Massey on 78 minutes and all four corners of the ground applauded the substitution of Kevin O’Connor for Brentford, who was making his 499th appearance for the London Club.

Colchester pressed forward and on one lung bursting run Jabo Ibehre pulled up with a suspected hamstring injury. He quickly left the field and the U’s played out the remaining minutes with 10 men. Jabo had put in another great shift, superb energy, strength and running for the team.

The final whistle was greeted with a combination of relief and euphoric scenes. Brentford’s promotion celebrations will have to be kept to their last game at home to Stevenage next week.

The players quickly retreated down the tunnel only to re-emerge for a lap of the pitch. The under 18’s who are looking for a league and cup double at Bradford on Tuesday evening were well received and the first team were equally well applauded.

Credit the few Brentford fans who stayed to applaud Marcus Bean.

We stayed on to watch the press conference with Jabo Ibehre, whilst a delighted Robbie Cowling watched on from the Directors area above the dug outs.

Next week we can really enjoy the game at the Bescot and perhaps there will be a cameo from Doogie to mark his retirement from Colchester United.

JD may well play some of the talented youngsters that he has at his disposal and I would imagine that Clinton Morrison will be given one last Colchester opportunity to add to his 172 career goals.

Our evening was a celebratory one and Sunday was a good journey back to the north.

Bring on the Poles at Warsaw next Saturday!

What about a top six finish next season!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024