Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Railwaymen on the line on saturday 08:54 - Nov 9 with 229 viewsdurham_exile

So have we hit the buffers, are we on the right track, have recent matches derailed the U’s, are the wrong type of leaves on the line, are we up the Junction.

The simple answer is no to all of the above.

Let us not forget JD took over a demoralised team that had just lost to a shockingly poor Iron team, and on that form was heading for certain relegation.

He quickly made some key loan signings and fashioned good results quickly against a mix of league one sides. There is no doubt that Eastmond and Watt brought a touch of class to the midfield and brought the best out of Marcus Bean and Woody.

It has however not gone well since the U’s allowed the Shrews back into a game that should have been well won at the new Meadow.

In truth the game that infuriates me is the Chelmsford City game which we should have won comfortably especially with a strong team out.

Notts County showed their defensive qualities and appeared to be well organised. JD suffered his first home defeat and that would have smarted.

Sanchez Watt has returned to Arsenal (let us get rid of the Arsenal fascination, yes we have two of their reserves but we are not the Arsenal but Colchester United) and it is unlikely that he will return unless we can persuade AW to extend the loan until the end of the season. Let us be clear Sanchez Watt is a classy footballer with tremendous pace who suited JD passing style. I am hopeful that he will return to see us into the top six places.

Indeed JD is to be applauded for not changing his tactics and retaining the passing game. I cannot believe that some of the faithful were requesting that the ball be knocked long on Tuesday night. We have moved on from those days.

So what sort of team will JD consider at Gresty Road. Enforced changes are limited to Sanchez Watt departure, particularly if a new defender arrives in time but no immediate sign of that as these notes are being penned.

So the line up in a 4-4-2 formation could well be:

Cousins

Wilson Magnus Eastman Rose

Eastmond Bean O’Toole Woody

Sears Ibehre

Subs:

Nkumu, White, Bond, Pentney, Morrison, Massey. Hendo

I personally like the Bean/O’Toole midfield pairing which allows Craig Eastmond more space and the chance to score more goals.

Freddie Sears should be given a start; I like Sears and have faith in him to come good. He played his best game for the U’s in the home friendly versus Derby and he deserves more than 20 mins at the end of a game.

Clinton Morrison has been disappointing, his work rate is not at fault but his effectiveness has been very limited and his goal scoring non-existent. The match at the Cobblers showed that very clearly.

Woody must step up to the plate more often; he has gone back into his shell again. Jabo Ibehre has made a difference up front but he needs support (perhaps from Sears).

Hendo is frustrating, he is either involved in the game or moaning and giving away possession too cheaply. He was given MOTM against Notts County but I hardly heard his name mentioned on the radio. Sort it out.

JD is concerned about conceding goals from set plays. Two corners against the Shrews, two free kicks against Notts County. He will bring in another central defender but for the present we must play with current resources.

This weekend we are up against the Railwaymen who have hit form with an impressive win against Donny Rovers, so we will have to get to grips with Chuks Aneke (on loan from Arsenal) and the quaintly named Scandinavian striker Lauri Dalla Valle (on loan from Fulham).

JD will play his way out of trouble and three points on Saturday will rebuild the optimism that has taken a recent hit against the Clarets and the Magpies.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024