Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Music Thread 08:14 - Oct 23 with 6331 viewsqprwpg

Just recently discovered Jimmy Smith - been around for ages, so not sure how I missed him especially as he was covered by the Beastie Boys. Some great Hammond playing

I think this one has been sampled by Pizzicato Five

Proof:

Twitter: @qprwpg

Friday Music Thread on 13:11 - Oct 23 with 1397 viewsQPRMUSO

Friday Music Thread on 12:29 - Oct 23 by londonscottish

He's good, Muso - what's his name?

On the topic of Hammond organ players I was looking for a bandwhen I got married in 2005. The venue were quite restrictive about what kind of music they'd have and I nearly settled for a God-awful trad jazz outfit as they were the best of a bad bunch on the hotel's roster.

Luckily a mate of mine pulled it out the bag and booked me a three piece - drums, guitar and hammond organ. They were obviously great musicians, especially Nikolai on the keyboard, and were just doing this sort of thing for a bit of cash.

Next time I saw him was on TV the following summer - he was in James Morrison's band. Also tours with the Specials these days apparently.

Still can't believe I got him for the wedding. All I had to do was keep him and the band fuelled with Stella and fags and he blew the doors off.

Edit; found the footage. It was the cap and the brown leather jacket that gave him away

Hi LondonScottish, his name is Arlan Schierbaum and what a player he is. He guested at my company party while at a music exhibition. You should have seen how he got it all on the back of his pick up truck - amazing. Hammod players are so dedicated to their instrument, they have even more gear than us poor drummers.

Anyway, nice story about your wedding. So glad you didn't get the trad jazz band, I am a jazz drummer but hate trad, it gives jazz a bad name.
Friday Music Thread on 13:47 - Oct 23 with 1385 viewsEastR

Friday Music Thread on 10:32 - Oct 23 by Brightonhoop

Sparta FC...say no more.

Been reading 'Renegade - Lives and Tales of MES' this week, some great stories in there on past band members and esp early albums. From 1981 Slates

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Friday Music Thread on 14:58 - Oct 23 with 1371 viewsTheBlob

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Friday Music Thread on 15:17 - Oct 23 with 1362 viewslondonscottish

Friday Music Thread on 13:11 - Oct 23 by QPRMUSO

Hi LondonScottish, his name is Arlan Schierbaum and what a player he is. He guested at my company party while at a music exhibition. You should have seen how he got it all on the back of his pick up truck - amazing. Hammod players are so dedicated to their instrument, they have even more gear than us poor drummers.

Anyway, nice story about your wedding. So glad you didn't get the trad jazz band, I am a jazz drummer but hate trad, it gives jazz a bad name.

I'll look him up.

I don't really have a downer on trad jazz - it's that Nicolai and his band were a million miles more suited to us and our music tastes.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Friday Music Thread on 15:51 - Oct 23 with 1352 viewsPunteR

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Friday Music Thread on 17:05 - Oct 23 with 1325 viewsscot1963

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024