Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk...... 22:40 - Mar 25 with 19893 viewssully49

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7025773/Aston-Villa-consider
He should do well in the Championship, I hope he gets it.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Garry Monk...... on 09:55 - Mar 27 with 1642 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 09:50 - Mar 27 by dgt73

Don't be so daft.

Tell me how we weren't then. Did I imagine us playing better football and picking up more points?
Garry Monk...... on 09:59 - Mar 27 with 1636 viewsdgt73

Garry Monk...... on 09:55 - Mar 27 by jack247

Tell me how we weren't then. Did I imagine us playing better football and picking up more points?

With more money being pumped into the PL - every team is stronger and better than they were a few seasons back. I like Tate & Gower, but if we had them in the current side (at the age they were back then) we'd probably be below villa now.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 10:00]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Garry Monk...... on 10:06 - Mar 27 with 1621 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 09:59 - Mar 27 by dgt73

With more money being pumped into the PL - every team is stronger and better than they were a few seasons back. I like Tate & Gower, but if we had them in the current side (at the age they were back then) we'd probably be below villa now.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 10:00]

So you can't then? You really think Newcastle and Sunderland are better than they were back then? How about Villa?

I didn't mean adding those two to the current side, I meant the entire side. Man for man they were inferior, as a team they were superior.
Garry Monk...... on 10:09 - Mar 27 with 1616 viewsdgt73

Garry Monk...... on 10:06 - Mar 27 by jack247

So you can't then? You really think Newcastle and Sunderland are better than they were back then? How about Villa?

I didn't mean adding those two to the current side, I meant the entire side. Man for man they were inferior, as a team they were superior.

The standard of the PL has risen since we joined or do you disagree ?

Garry Monk...... on 10:12 - Mar 27 with 1604 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:09 - Mar 27 by dgt73

The standard of the PL has risen since we joined or do you disagree ?

I agree. Not nearly as much as the standard of our team has declined this season.
Garry Monk...... on 10:13 - Mar 27 with 1604 viewsdgt73

The football hasn't been pleasant on the eye this season , but 36 pts with 7 games to go , I'll take that next season too, hopefully with a bit more attractive football.

Garry Monk...... on 10:16 - Mar 27 with 1596 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:13 - Mar 27 by dgt73

The football hasn't been pleasant on the eye this season , but 36 pts with 7 games to go , I'll take that next season too, hopefully with a bit more attractive football.

So would I. The point is Garry screwed us up. It wasn't deliberate and he did it with the best intentions, but he fixed something that wasn't broken sacrificing our verve and our effectiveness along the way.

We have 36 points and will be in the PL next season because Curtis and Guidollin rescued us.
Garry Monk...... on 10:21 - Mar 27 with 1589 viewsdgt73

Garry Monk...... on 10:16 - Mar 27 by jack247

So would I. The point is Garry screwed us up. It wasn't deliberate and he did it with the best intentions, but he fixed something that wasn't broken sacrificing our verve and our effectiveness along the way.

We have 36 points and will be in the PL next season because Curtis and Guidollin rescued us.

And I'm sure monk has learned some valuable lessons and probably will go on to become a decent manager.

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk...... on 10:23 - Mar 27 with 1585 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:21 - Mar 27 by dgt73

And I'm sure monk has learned some valuable lessons and probably will go on to become a decent manager.

Quite possibly, but that isn't the point you were arguing against.
Garry Monk...... on 10:25 - Mar 27 with 1574 viewsdgt73

Garry Monk...... on 10:23 - Mar 27 by jack247

Quite possibly, but that isn't the point you were arguing against.

No the point I'm making is the side from 2011-2012 would IMO not be anywhere good enough to survive in today's PL.

Garry Monk...... on 10:33 - Mar 27 with 1551 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 10:25 - Mar 27 by dgt73

No the point I'm making is the side from 2011-2012 would IMO not be anywhere good enough to survive in today's PL.

We will have to agree to disagree on that then. IMO they were far better than Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Palace, Sunderland, West Brom and us at the very least. They finished 11th remember, not 17th on goal difference.

We should have progressed a long way since that team.
Garry Monk...... on 10:39 - Mar 27 with 1537 viewsAnotherJohn

Garry Monk...... on 15:36 - Mar 26 by dobjack2

Highest premier league points total - correct

When things went wrong a manager and management team that didn't know how to put it right - sadly also correct.

Yes, it was a strange period when some of us felt apprehensive even when we were doing well in terms of points, and weren't quite sure why. I'd say that at the start Monk was good at getting more from the squad he had inherited, but that as he had to rebuild and re-fashion our tactics his limitations became apparent.The next job is likely to be make or break for him.
Garry Monk...... on 11:13 - Mar 27 with 1499 viewsDr_Winston

The way we were playing in the last days of Monk the 2011/12 side would have beaten us quite comfortably.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk...... on 11:15 - Mar 27 with 1497 viewsDewi1jack

Garry Monk...... on 10:39 - Mar 27 by AnotherJohn

Yes, it was a strange period when some of us felt apprehensive even when we were doing well in terms of points, and weren't quite sure why. I'd say that at the start Monk was good at getting more from the squad he had inherited, but that as he had to rebuild and re-fashion our tactics his limitations became apparent.The next job is likely to be make or break for him.

There are plenty of "journey man" managers like there are players.
If Schteve SuperBrolly, John Carver and many, many more can keep being employed mugging off clubs and fans alike then any half tidy manager has a chance.
I think GM will learn from his mistakes with us, restart his managerial career and become reasonably good at his job.
Really needs to be careful choosing his back room staff though as well as understanding he doesn't know everything and learning to accept opinions and help when offered.
Good luck to him except if he ever faces us, when I hope his team is trounced (as I do with all opposition teams!)

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Garry Monk...... on 12:27 - Mar 27 with 1430 viewsMorfa_Same

Garry Monk...... on 20:47 - Mar 26 by LeonisGod

And last year was awful to watch at times too, despite grinding out results. Some of us did try to point this out but were beaten down by the "3 pts is all that matters" types. It's important of course, but not at the expense of the soul of the club.

Someone's now got hell of a job to get us back to being a renowned footballing side.

Totally agree.

People keep mentioning that he took us to our highest ever Premier League points tally but the warning signs were there even during that season. Only two things kept us in the false position we finished in - the goals from first Bony and then Gomis, and the fact that Fabianski was making far more saves than any other keeper in the division. Between the three of them they dragged a pretty ordinary side into the top half.
Garry Monk...... on 13:02 - Mar 27 with 1392 viewsDrizzy

Garry Monk...... on 12:27 - Mar 27 by Morfa_Same

Totally agree.

People keep mentioning that he took us to our highest ever Premier League points tally but the warning signs were there even during that season. Only two things kept us in the false position we finished in - the goals from first Bony and then Gomis, and the fact that Fabianski was making far more saves than any other keeper in the division. Between the three of them they dragged a pretty ordinary side into the top half.

Nothing to do with Ash's best season of his career and Gylfi's 8 goals and 10 assists?

Funny how Monk was "carried" by players playing well, but there's no mention of Laudrup looking completely inept once Michu stopped scoring at an absurd rate.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Garry Monk...... on 13:19 - Mar 27 with 1366 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 13:02 - Mar 27 by Drizzy

Nothing to do with Ash's best season of his career and Gylfi's 8 goals and 10 assists?

Funny how Monk was "carried" by players playing well, but there's no mention of Laudrup looking completely inept once Michu stopped scoring at an absurd rate.

Garry wasn't sacked for finishing 8th, just as Laudrup wasn't sacked for getting us into Europe. They were both sacked for being inept the following season. They both deserved praise when they did well, they both deserved the sack for threatening our PL future.
Garry Monk...... on 13:22 - Mar 27 with 1361 viewsDrizzy

Garry Monk...... on 13:19 - Mar 27 by jack247

Garry wasn't sacked for finishing 8th, just as Laudrup wasn't sacked for getting us into Europe. They were both sacked for being inept the following season. They both deserved praise when they did well, they both deserved the sack for threatening our PL future.

Then why does the narrative revolve around Monk "destroying" is when in reality we played some equally awful football at the end of Laudrup's tenure?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Garry Monk...... on 13:32 - Mar 27 with 1348 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 13:22 - Mar 27 by Drizzy

Then why does the narrative revolve around Monk "destroying" is when in reality we played some equally awful football at the end of Laudrup's tenure?

Because he completely changed the way we play. You must have noticed? Laudrup simply got billy big balls and stopped putting the effort in. You can't accuse Monk of not caring like you can Laudrup, but you can't deny he altered our style for the worse.
Garry Monk...... on 13:41 - Mar 27 with 1340 viewsPrivate_Partz

Garry Monk...... on 13:22 - Mar 27 by Drizzy

Under ML we were playing more fixtures than probably most seasons in our history. We had unprecedented injuries including our top goal scorer. We had played all the top teams. An easy run in was beckoning and the injured players were returning to the side. True there were warring factions in the side and Huw picked the wrong ones to side with IMHO. A lesson that he has learned I think.
GM had a normal season ahead of him. Very few injuries and the side was deteriorating game by game after a superb September.
Big difference I would say.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Garry Monk...... on 13:57 - Mar 27 with 1310 viewsStarsky

Garry Monk...... on 13:32 - Mar 27 by jack247

Because he completely changed the way we play. You must have noticed? Laudrup simply got billy big balls and stopped putting the effort in. You can't accuse Monk of not caring like you can Laudrup, but you can't deny he altered our style for the worse.

Who he surrounded himself by is what eventually did for him.
KOL, Clotet & Beattie FFS

It's just the internet, init.

Garry Monk...... on 14:01 - Mar 27 with 1304 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 13:57 - Mar 27 by Starsky

Who he surrounded himself by is what eventually did for him.
KOL, Clotet & Beattie FFS

Recruitment and by all accounts coaching didn't help. He took away what was unique about us, once you do that, relative finances become more significant and the odds turn against us.
Garry Monk...... on 15:11 - Mar 27 with 1239 viewsUplandsJack

Garry Monk...... on 14:01 - Mar 27 by jack247

Recruitment and by all accounts coaching didn't help. He took away what was unique about us, once you do that, relative finances become more significant and the odds turn against us.

This is bang on....
Also Drizzy, I'm convinced that our 2011/12 team would have comfortably beaten our current team.
We flourished in the PL without the money most /All other clubs throw at staying up in their first year because quite simply our style of play complimented it....
Monk ruined this team. Plain and simple.
I have written on here many times he should never have been given the job permanent.
Yes, he regalvanised the team after the wheels came off of Laudrup's reign. But that Summer he should have been given the assistant job to an experienced manager to spend a few years learning from. Instead he was given cart blanche to do what he wanted. For me the wheels started to come off away to Blackburn in the cup.... Siggy getting a ban, then Wilf going off to citey . Yes we were scraping lucky wins and continuing to amass points, but the the quality of football was shite. I like many went to all home and away games and it was God awful to watch.
Then this season he proclaimed we had the best squad ever. We got what has turned out as a fair point against a chelsea team about to implode, 3 points against a shite newcastle team who in fairness hadNT had a shite Jammat sent off, for repeatedly fouling Jeff would have gave us a much tougher game. That was then followed up with a poor 1-1 draw away to S'land. That then was followed by the luckiest win against Man utd despite being battered for the entire 2nd half. From that point on we don't win again till the villa game in late October.... This despite having the best squad EVER...
He refused help when offered to him, marginalized a guy who I call a legend of the club and as others have said, put this club back 5 years if not more.
Monk was a good servant to the club as a player (though sorry not great). Did a solid job as Caretaker boss with a full strength squad, and pretty easy run in. But as for a legend, well sorry but you can forget that.....
And as for the boss, well let's just thank our lucky stars HJ finally ended our misery and got rid to enable Curts & FG the time to save our premier league status.
Garry Monk...... on 15:39 - Mar 27 with 1204 viewsDarran

Garry Monk...... on 15:11 - Mar 27 by UplandsJack

This is bang on....
Also Drizzy, I'm convinced that our 2011/12 team would have comfortably beaten our current team.
We flourished in the PL without the money most /All other clubs throw at staying up in their first year because quite simply our style of play complimented it....
Monk ruined this team. Plain and simple.
I have written on here many times he should never have been given the job permanent.
Yes, he regalvanised the team after the wheels came off of Laudrup's reign. But that Summer he should have been given the assistant job to an experienced manager to spend a few years learning from. Instead he was given cart blanche to do what he wanted. For me the wheels started to come off away to Blackburn in the cup.... Siggy getting a ban, then Wilf going off to citey . Yes we were scraping lucky wins and continuing to amass points, but the the quality of football was shite. I like many went to all home and away games and it was God awful to watch.
Then this season he proclaimed we had the best squad ever. We got what has turned out as a fair point against a chelsea team about to implode, 3 points against a shite newcastle team who in fairness hadNT had a shite Jammat sent off, for repeatedly fouling Jeff would have gave us a much tougher game. That was then followed up with a poor 1-1 draw away to S'land. That then was followed by the luckiest win against Man utd despite being battered for the entire 2nd half. From that point on we don't win again till the villa game in late October.... This despite having the best squad EVER...
He refused help when offered to him, marginalized a guy who I call a legend of the club and as others have said, put this club back 5 years if not more.
Monk was a good servant to the club as a player (though sorry not great). Did a solid job as Caretaker boss with a full strength squad, and pretty easy run in. But as for a legend, well sorry but you can forget that.....
And as for the boss, well let's just thank our lucky stars HJ finally ended our misery and got rid to enable Curts & FG the time to save our premier league status.

Our 2011/12 team might well have beaten any side in our history they were playing on more than footballing ability after getting promoted to the Pl

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry Monk...... on 15:52 - Mar 27 with 1178 viewsJJJack

Garry Monk...... on 15:29 - Mar 26 by Darran

I agree.

Absolutely. Abomination of a thread
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024