Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? 13:47 - Jun 25 with 5004 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

I'm going to be in LA for three days at a loose end from a Friday night to Monday afternoon at the end of September. I've never been to LA before so hoping to make the most of the few days there, has anyone here been or even live there?

Any tips on things I mustnt miss, can afford to miss and should definitely avoid? Places to stay (flying into LAX and will be headed to Long Beach on the Monday night) and how best to get around?

Needs to be cheep but at least a step or two above cockroach level!! It's just me so doesn't need all the bells and whistles, does not need to be entirely legal but chances of arrest must be zero!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 13:50]
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 14:58 - Jun 25 with 4977 viewsBlackCrowe

Sunday afternoon wander along the bars, restaurants and stalls on Venice Beach in Santa Monica is a must IMO.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 15:06 - Jun 25 with 4968 viewstimcocking

One of my brothers lives there. Venice Beach my favourite spot. Also I like to visit the Whiskey-a-gogo (Hollywood Boulevard i think, which is actually quite cool and edgy as well as touristy in places.) Cheesy it may be, but The Doors, man. My brother met John Densmore at a party in LA once, not that i imagine that's of much interest to you..

Don't bother going to Malibu. Despite the reputation it's cack. My bro lives there it's...expensive but dull. For the people who live there, Yoga sorts if you know what i mean. Not much to see really. Although obviously the pacific coast highway runs right through it all the way up to Canada. If you like a drive, that's a cool road.

Get around? Shitty. LA is an ugly city. The world's biggest parking lot and no public transport to be seen. And don't forget to tip the taxi 20 %, and 20% on every beer you order!

See if you can see anybody using their real name, or perhaps anybody with real teeth.

[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 15:22]
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 18:55 - Jun 25 with 4898 viewsBoston

Santa Monica, great place to live, South Central, great place to die.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 19:49 - Jun 25 with 4869 viewsfreddieeddie

I went to L.A for three days last week. £10 to get there and spent about £50 a day and had time of my life. You can still get the same deal.

Poll: QPR future, what would you like to see happen

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 11:37 - Jun 26 with 4800 viewsmjtaylor76

I went for 2 days at Easter. Loved it. Maine Street behind Neilson Way on Maine street has some stunning bars on it. Have you seen Californication? If so this is the place to fulfill that lifestyle!

Also very cheesy but we went on a mini bus tour around the celebrities homes in Hollywood/Beverly Hills. After a couple of beers it was the funniest couple of hours I've ever had. You also get to see lots of things you'd never see in a very short period of time. https://ultimatehollywoodtours.com

Apart from getting around being very slow I loved LA. Make sure you've got an Uber account. There were loads and they were very cheap.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 11:53 - Jun 26 with 4789 viewsMonkey_Roots

Crenshaw blvd is a must!

Try to fit in though, wear a red or blue handkerchief either on your head or hanging from a pocket... You'll be fine homie.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 00:01 - Jul 15 with 4647 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Thank you for the tips everyone, any more then please do add.

Re the crips/bloods yes I thought a kind of Barcelona style shirt would be on the safe side of both sides
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 00:34 - Jul 15 with 4631 viewsLythamR

Rainbow Bar and grill in West Hollywood

Sadly you wont find Lemmy playing the fruit machine anymore but its a cool place with history and you never know who might pop in

Its worth popping up to the observatory as well Great view across the city from there, late afternoon to sunset is the best time, you get the sunset and watch the city light up, very nice

if you are there for three days a pop up the coast to Santa Barbara via malibe is a nice little trip and Santa Barbara is laid back and pleasant especially midweek , gets a bit busy at the weekend
Login to get fewer ads

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 02:00 - Jul 15 with 4616 viewsitsbiga

What kind of things do you like to do?
I have lived in LA for the last 9 years. Its a great city.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 08:41 - Jul 15 with 4561 viewscaliforniahoop

Great city, lived in Westwood and Brentwood, Santa Monica and Venice beach are some of the places to go.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 09:22 - Jul 15 with 4529 viewshoopdog

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 08:41 - Jul 15 by californiahoop

Great city, lived in Westwood and Brentwood, Santa Monica and Venice beach are some of the places to go.

Alright Al long time no see enjoy your weekend !
Things look to be on the up think we will see some descent football this season dunno about you but I'm quietly pleased with JFHs view to how football should be played now he's got his own squad
[Post edited 15 Jul 2016 9:46]
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 09:25 - Jul 15 with 4524 views1BobbyHazell

Is Canters still there? When I was living there back in the early 90s it was a very cool place to hang out when the bar opened.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 09:34 - Jul 15 with 4511 viewswhittocksRs

Venice is probably what you want for the full LA experience - make sure to have a walk around the Venice Canals (amazing architecture).

If you're up on Sunset / West Hollywood, you've got to do Saddle Ranch and Rainbow Bar.

Laurel Hardware on Santa Monica Blvd is pretty awesome too, especially if you can get a table outside.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 10:23 - Jul 15 with 4474 viewscaliforniahoop

3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 09:22 - Jul 15 by hoopdog

Alright Al long time no see enjoy your weekend !
Things look to be on the up think we will see some descent football this season dunno about you but I'm quietly pleased with JFHs view to how football should be played now he's got his own squad
[Post edited 15 Jul 2016 9:46]

Good job being done, foundations bring out in place for a more sustained effort.
3 Days In LA -Tips/Advice? on 10:55 - Jul 15 with 4457 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Thanks for the further tips! If any LA based Hoops are at a loose end on 24/09 when we are due to play Birmingham at home in the league then I'd be keen to meet up and catch the match if it's on TV??

I arrive Friday 23rd and have to be in Long Beach on the evening of Monday 26/09.

As for what I'm into and want to see, anything cool and anything unmissable! I'm not at all bothered about shops and shopping, eating/drinking can be finctional (if the lady was going then yes I'd want nice posh eateries but as it's just me I'm fine with whatever I can get as long as it's gluten free as a minimum!). I'd like to see some 'typical' Hollywood/LA/Calif things - the Hollywood sign, the walk of fame, some famous movie locations or whathaveyou, nice beaches, chilled out towns and quirky buildings/landscapes/things. I'm also keen on the odd bit of UrbEx so if there was anything 'must see' in that regard that would be cool.

Cheers again and anyone who is around or has suggestions on where to watch the game etc pls keep em coming!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024