Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON 17:05 - Apr 7 with 6620 viewsGreenbay

Our main gems are Dieng, Field, Willock and Chair - when he is at the top of his game.
We also have Dunne,and Dickie.
Why would any Premier team buy any of those six?
They would all be bench warmers.
The club of course needs money.
But it's no good selling them each for under a million - just isn't worth it.
Our benevolent owners may think understandably otherwise.
And the players would surely leave if there was big money for them on the table.
But if it's possible let's keep them - if budget allows - and they want to stay.
So you have six players of good Championship quality.
Then will our two main loanees return - Masterson at Gillingham and de Wijs at Fortuna Dusseldorf?
Will Thomas, Amos and our home-grown and quick Kakay (currently out of the squad) improve? I've always enjoyed Kakay's enthusiasm and pace.
Would be great to see him deservedly in the team.
Will our loanee McCallum - he's only 21 - sign for us full-time?
He can improve massively.
And what about Odubajo and Ball - contracts finishing.
We need some forwards. Will Dykes be with us next season?
IMO let's keep all those 15 above.
As we all know we need pace everywhere.
We need a 'Don Masson' type (for those of you who remember) in midfield.
It used to be Jojo pulling the strings when he first came to us but definitely not at the moment.
So wing-backs are required, two in midfield, and a couple up front.
And that makes 21 players including six coming in!
Is it goodbye and out of the squad for Austin, Jojo, loanees Gray, Hendrick and Sanderson (only 22), along with Barbet (back to France but hope not), Uncle and Wallace. The last three - contracts finishing.
It's going to be tough to acquire the much-needed quality.
But we do have a spine of a side.
I hope it's under the care of Warbs.
Can't stand the thought of starting all over again with a new manager and another 3 years to build a decent squad with little budget.
If Warbs wants to continue let him build his third team (as mentioned before) in a fourth season with the club.
Small gains each year.
Setbacks will happen.
Always aiming for the play-offs - that's our target now.
Three years ago we were grateful to survive in the Championship.
And one day we will succeed - get into the Premiership - and then build even more with those parachute payments don't you think?
I'm still optimistic.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 23:22]
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:04 - Apr 8 with 1853 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:56 - Apr 8 by Northernr

I loved Rob Steiner. So effective. If him and Kiwomya had stayed fit in 2000/01 with Crouch as cover we wouldn't have had a problem. Furlong was a great idea on loan to cover Steiner, but he then also immediately got injured.

Rob Steiner was ridiculously over-rated, had only marginally more mobility than Brett Angell, but Gerry loved him, apparently. Always remember that game at Fulham where foul after foul was given against him (by an admittedly shocking ref), and all he could do was gesture to us as if to say 'what can I do?' 6 goals in two dozen games or so, then injured, and prematurely retired.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:06 - Apr 8 with 1863 viewsNorthernr

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:04 - Apr 8 by stainrods_elbow

Rob Steiner was ridiculously over-rated, had only marginally more mobility than Brett Angell, but Gerry loved him, apparently. Always remember that game at Fulham where foul after foul was given against him (by an admittedly shocking ref), and all he could do was gesture to us as if to say 'what can I do?' 6 goals in two dozen games or so, then injured, and prematurely retired.

Doesn't surprise me at all that you think that.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:13 - Apr 8 with 1810 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:42 - Apr 8 by Antti_Heinola

Agree - I don't think it's major surgery, but let's hypothetically say we lose:

Adomah
Wallace
McCallum
Moses
Dieng
Willock
Hendrick
Sanderson
Gray
And likely one of Barbet or De Wijs

At a minimum, therefore, we would likely require: 1 CB, 1 GK (actually probably two, because Archer was one year, right?), potentially 4 wingbacks!, at least one number 10, and 1 striker. That's 8 signings. It's not major surgery, but it's not exactly a local anaesthetic either.

Apparently, you 're like me and 'don't understand' football finances or contracts either with those (sensible) recommendations. Always good to have people who can explain things to you here.

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 18:45 - Apr 8 with 1660 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:06 - Apr 8 by Northernr

Doesn't surprise me at all that you think that.

Your point being?

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 18:57 - Apr 8 with 1659 viewsWalnut

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:04 - Apr 8 by stainrods_elbow

...and the admittedly shocking ref was indeed, Rob effin Styles
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 19:28 - Apr 8 with 1635 viewsed_83

Agree with Clive's points about our priorities: deciding whether Warburton's staying, sorting out what formation we're going to play in, and then bringing in two young, quick and hopefully injury-resistant wingbacks. If we go 4 at the back then I can see us signing a right-sided winger with pace as well, but that's about it.

Everything else is secondary, and will presumably involve us getting more from our existing players rather than bringing in loads of new ones - both because of our financial constraints, and the fact that this squad has already shown that they're good enough to compete at the top end of the table.

De Wijs is left-footed, so I can see him taking over from Barbet on the left of the 3. Warburton seems unconvinced by Masterson, but hopefully he's gained enough from his loan spells to work as cover. Fullbacks / wingbacks are the big priority - maybe McCallum on a perm & re-signing Odubajo, but I'm not 100% convinced by either of those and hope that we have better targets in mind.

If we can afford it, I'd love to see us bringing in a horrible Shaun Derry-style bstard in midfield to go with our assortment of talented but slightly callow young men and one underwhelming Norwegian. Think having a bit more grit and nastiness in the centre of the park would make a huge difference.

Upfront, this might be controversial but I don't actually think we need to sign anyone if (big if) we get Dykes and Austin fit and motivated, and either Bonne or Kelman come back from their loans with a spring in their step. If we sell Bonne to Ipswich then I can see us reinvesting the cash, but otherwise it's about doing more with what we have.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 21:22 - Apr 8 with 1570 viewspaulparker

In an ideal world where we had a choice of who we sold I would rather it was Dieng & chair in the summer if it meant we could sign 2 new full backs with pace
Also a centre forward in the shape of Ladapo at Rotherham wouldn’t go a miss either

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 04:06 - Apr 9 with 1451 viewsahoz

No one has mentioned Bettache, has he fallen from grace? Was terrific against Orient several months back.
Now, I live in Adelaide, 10000 miles away, and can only go by the odd game televised live over here, game highlights posted by Boston (thanks Boston!), and comments by posters, but the obvious dross of the last few games (esp that useless backwards/sideways stuff which is a blight on the game), for which Warburton has to bear some responsibility, cannot afford to be carried over till the first few games of next season. In the meanwhile, see what
MW's demands/expectations are to improve the squad (yes, effective wing backs for a start, from which effective crosses may kick-start out current strikers), do what we can to meet those demands, and judge it from there. But that's only my view from afar.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 08:35 - Apr 9 with 1388 viewsdmm

Some of the promising youngsters have been mentioned and it will be very interesting to see who might make the 22/23 squad. Assuming we're playing in the Championship next season, I think those most likely are: Conor Masterson, Faysal Bettache, Stephen Duke-McKenna and Charlie Kelman. That said, I wouldn't be totally surprised if none make it, but it would certainly be disappointing if none were deemed good enough. 20 year old Joe Walsh is of course already part of the first team.

There are certainly others with potential but I think they all need more time, 18 year old Sinclair Armstrong being one of them. The club has a year's option to extend his contract to 2023 which I expect them to trigger.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 10:15 - Apr 9 with 1309 viewssilverbirch

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 07:00 - Apr 8 by Northernr

Always worth pointing out that you can't "ditch" players who are under contract unless you can find a buyer to ditch them to. That is unless you're talking about using what precious little money we do have to spend, and you'd like to spend on nine players if I'm counting correctly, on paying their deals up.

I get impression he’d like a whole new coaching team and director of football, too
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 10:48 - Apr 9 with 1259 viewsMyke

Just to be controversial on the wing-backs thing. It is interesting that Warburton bombed Kane out (and he has since become a regular in a decent Championship outfit) for having the audacity to suggest he was better than Kakay. The same Kakay that cannot even make the match day squad regularly and NEVER plays despite our injured/aging rwbs. So the only conclusion that one can take from that, is that actually Warburton agrees with Kane, despite 'stripping' him of the number 2 shirt. If we had retained Kane (and nobody can dispute his desire to get up and down the line or his fitness levels - and no slouch either when speed is such a big issue) then we could have used Moses more frequently on the other flank and... who knows? Cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:53 - Apr 9 with 1224 views1JD

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 10:48 - Apr 9 by Myke

Just to be controversial on the wing-backs thing. It is interesting that Warburton bombed Kane out (and he has since become a regular in a decent Championship outfit) for having the audacity to suggest he was better than Kakay. The same Kakay that cannot even make the match day squad regularly and NEVER plays despite our injured/aging rwbs. So the only conclusion that one can take from that, is that actually Warburton agrees with Kane, despite 'stripping' him of the number 2 shirt. If we had retained Kane (and nobody can dispute his desire to get up and down the line or his fitness levels - and no slouch either when speed is such a big issue) then we could have used Moses more frequently on the other flank and... who knows? Cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind

Kane was woeful for us, 1 good cross in 20, struggled to complete 5 and 10 yard passes, and regularly gave the ball away. At times, didn’t even look like a footballer.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:54 - Apr 9 with 1214 viewsDannytheR

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" - or not wanting to be the kind of club where senior players are given license to publicly belittle their team-mates.

And yes, even more so when the club rightly wants to re-establish links to the local area and the "lesser" player is a local kid who came through the youth team.

Let's not even mention the ban for "abusive language referencing nationality or ethnicity."

OR the fact that for every 1000 times he got up and down the wing, 999 of them ended up with the resulting cross hitting a random player in the face, and the other one with him falling over the ball.

Bring back Todd Kane. Christ. Why don't we see if Vinny Jones fancies coming out of retirement too.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:55 - Apr 9 with 1210 viewseastside_r

Funny, I was thinking this morning what the hell happened to Kakay. Time for another look?
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 13:47 - Apr 9 with 1152 viewsMyke

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:54 - Apr 9 by DannytheR

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" - or not wanting to be the kind of club where senior players are given license to publicly belittle their team-mates.

And yes, even more so when the club rightly wants to re-establish links to the local area and the "lesser" player is a local kid who came through the youth team.

Let's not even mention the ban for "abusive language referencing nationality or ethnicity."

OR the fact that for every 1000 times he got up and down the wing, 999 of them ended up with the resulting cross hitting a random player in the face, and the other one with him falling over the ball.

Bring back Todd Kane. Christ. Why don't we see if Vinny Jones fancies coming out of retirement too.

Now where in my piece did I suggest we should bring him back? Oh and all of Adomah's crosses (when he actually gets that far up the pitch anymore) are all of such pinpoint precision! I like Adomah, I love his love for the club. But watching him the other evening bordered between embarrassment and pity.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:00 - Apr 9 with 1128 viewsMyke

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:55 - Apr 9 by eastside_r

Funny, I was thinking this morning what the hell happened to Kakay. Time for another look?

Safe to say Warburton, Eustace, Ramsey, Hall etc are having a look every day and not seeing a solution to any of our problems
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:19 - Apr 9 with 1100 viewseastside_r

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:00 - Apr 9 by Myke

Safe to say Warburton, Eustace, Ramsey, Hall etc are having a look every day and not seeing a solution to any of our problems

And as if my magic a man called Kakay appears* (as substitute.)

* Homage to Mr. Ben - whose creator passed away this week.
QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:55 - Apr 9 with 1051 viewsLazyFan

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 11:56 - Apr 8 by Northernr

I loved Rob Steiner. So effective. If him and Kiwomya had stayed fit in 2000/01 with Crouch as cover we wouldn't have had a problem. Furlong was a great idea on loan to cover Steiner, but he then also immediately got injured.

Steiner was amazing, pure class. Did not score many, but he passed through the oppo like they were never there and also held the ball up. They couldn't handle him at this level and then he got injured.

Kiwomya was not a great ballplayer but was an excellent finisher, a bit like Grabbon but with more pace. So, if you fed him, he would hoover up goals.

zzzzzzzzzz

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 16:04 - Apr 9 with 1014 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 14:13 - Apr 8 by stainrods_elbow

Apparently, you 're like me and 'don't understand' football finances or contracts either with those (sensible) recommendations. Always good to have people who can explain things to you here.

not really, only two of mine are still in contract with us - saleable assets, Dieng and Willock. If we wanted to sell them, we could quite easily. If you find agreement with me there, that's fantastic - because it would certainly be a first for both of us!

Bare bones.

QPR - BUILDING FOR NEXT SEASON on 03:00 - Apr 11 with 886 viewsMatch82

Kane may be better than Kakay and MW may well have agreed. But if you're going to allow someone to run their mouth off and slag off their own team mates creating a sour atmosphere and division in the club then that person better have the ability of Adel Tarrabt. Todd Kane.... did not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024