Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? 17:06 - Jul 21 with 8004 viewsJuzzie

Scenario: You work in an office, the hours are 9-5. When it comes to home time do you stop work 5-10 mins before to shut down and prepare yourself to leave at 5pm or do you finish work at 5pm then shut down and get ready to leave?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 14:28 - Jul 22 with 1680 viewsJuzzie

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 13:06 - Jul 22 by BklynRanger

I'm sure you're asking the question for a good reason, Juzzie, so fair enough.

But my opinion is I don't see the point of quibbling over it either way - it should be more about what you get done during a working day than fine margins around clocking off.

We all end up working longer than we're contracted for anyway. Fcuking industrial revolution... Bring back feudalism - those were the days.

There's been some very interesting replies, thank you to everyone for that.

I'll let on....... it's not about anything within my company but more my other half.

I've always been a '5pm finish' person and she's a '5pm leave' person. Now, she does get in early so that's fine, that's her prerogative. Whereas I get in on time, usually make a coffee etc before cracking on with the work so I have always felt that I should finish on time then shut down, get my motorbike gear together, go and unlock the bike and ride home.
She wants me to be a 5pm leaver. I can't do that, not after 35 years. It is literally 10 minutes either way, it's not like I'm getting home hours later.

I was just intrigued what other people thought/did.
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 14:44 - Jul 22 with 1614 viewsBoston

I'm a 'fire them at five' type of guy. Might as well get a full days work..

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 14:54 - Jul 22 with 1605 viewsJuzzie

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 14:44 - Jul 22 by Boston

Many moons ago one of our CD factories got bought out, with inevitable redundancies.

It was announced on the Thursday before Good Friday that the buyout was happening ("further details to follow")

What kind of cnt does that? Hundreds of people then had a ruined Easter not knowing whether they'd have a job in a few months. At least make the announcement on the Tuesday when they got back.
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:05 - Jul 22 with 1583 viewsMick_S

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 12:51 - Jul 22 by robith

I try to finish bang on the dot, because I don't know how to set the alarm and having worked there for 7 years, am too embarrassed to ask

Great lie mate. Wrong thread.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:18 - Jul 22 with 1547 viewskensalriser

Here's how to do it if you're a record company A&R:

11:30-12:00 arrive at the office (out late at a gig/studio the night before, obvs). Make a few calls.

1:00pm Out for lunch

3:30pm Back from lunch. Listen to a couple of demos, call the manager of your new star act to blow some smoke.

4:30pm Out for meetings

Rinse and repeat.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2022 15:20]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:20 - Jul 22 with 1540 viewskensalriser

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 14:44 - Jul 22 by Boston

Counter-Intuitive. The whole point of firing someone is you don't want them to do any more work for you!

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:25 - Jul 22 with 1511 viewsJuzzie

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:20 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

Counter-Intuitive. The whole point of firing someone is you don't want them to do any more work for you!

And back-up remotely (if you can) any of their work so they don't spitefully erase it all.

A Dance Promoter I worked with got the heave-ho (this was mid 90's) and wiped the entire 12" promo DJ mailing list off the computer. took them weeks to rebuild it.
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:50 - Jul 22 with 1457 viewsqprxtc

I’m paid for seven hours a day. That’s what they get.

I leave at 17:00 not a second later.

I had a boss once who told me I should start to pack up once I’d finished. Then I started my own clean desk policy. Then I had f uck all to pack up and left at five.

That idiot never said a word to me again. The four eyed bandy legged pillock.
Login to get fewer ads

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:57 - Jul 22 with 1437 viewskensalriser

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:50 - Jul 22 by qprxtc

I had a boss once who told me I should start to pack up once I’d finished. Then I started my own clean desk policy. Then I had f uck all to pack up and left at five.

Bet the cnt thought XTC are shit too.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 16:56 - Jul 22 with 1371 viewsBoston

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:50 - Jul 22 by qprxtc

Yeah but, are your senses working overtime?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 18:23 - Jul 22 with 1316 viewsBoston

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:20 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

Correct, but they don't walk out the door with any of your tools if they've already finished.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 19:42 - Jul 22 with 1260 viewsBlackCrowe

Depends on the job i reckon. If it's a means to an end then work the hours prescribed and no more and that's fine and if it's a career journey that you care about advancing then you'll probably have to (and want to) do more than what's in the contract.

Officially i'm on 37.5 hours per week but probably have done 45-50 hrs over the past 20 years particularly if you include checking/replying to email in the evening (my choice). Though coming to the start of my twilight working years (c.5 years left i reckon), i'm reducing. But i've mostly really enjoyed it and that's the difference.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:16 - Jul 22 with 1222 viewsqprxtc

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 15:57 - Jul 22 by kensalriser

Bet the cnt thought XTC are shit too.

Not sure about his views on XTC. But as he was a rugby fan and went to Africa to buy himself a wife, a cnt he be.
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:21 - Jul 22 with 1217 viewsted_hendrix

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 02:54 - Jul 22 by PunteR

On site 8 till 4pm usually. Takes 15-20 minutes to load and unload my tools on a good day. That's part of my working day. I'm offski by 4pm.
My travelling and expenses is all included in my day.plus any paperwork when I get home. Bills,invoicing ,quotes etc.

In the old day's carpenters were allowed 10 minutes per day (during the day) to sharpen their tools (Working rule agreement).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:27 - Jul 22 with 1209 viewsBklynRanger

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:21 - Jul 22 by ted_hendrix

In the old day's carpenters were allowed 10 minutes per day (during the day) to sharpen their tools (Working rule agreement).

That has to be a euphemism
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:34 - Jul 22 with 1197 viewsPunteR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:21 - Jul 22 by ted_hendrix

I didn't know that . Sounds fair . I wouldn't sharpen my chisels on my own time.
Tbf i get them sent away to sharpen these days now plus saw blades.
I am old enough to remember sharpening hand saws with a small triangle file when I was an apprentice.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:39 - Jul 22 with 1195 viewsPunteR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:27 - Jul 22 by BklynRanger

That has to be a euphemism

That would be 2 minutes.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:58 - Jul 22 with 1185 viewsBklynRanger

My granda was a carpenter. He had a 3 bedroom house in East Belfast - one bedroom for him and my granny, one for us grandkids when we came to stay, and the other one completely full of different offcuts and sheets of wood. Absolutely crammed.

He worked in the shipyard and later worked on the casing for the cross on the side of St Anne's cathedral. My brother inherited some of the skills but I none. Proper job.
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 07:48 - Jul 23 with 1087 viewsPunteR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 21:58 - Jul 22 by BklynRanger

My granda was a carpenter. He had a 3 bedroom house in East Belfast - one bedroom for him and my granny, one for us grandkids when we came to stay, and the other one completely full of different offcuts and sheets of wood. Absolutely crammed.

He worked in the shipyard and later worked on the casing for the cross on the side of St Anne's cathedral. My brother inherited some of the skills but I none. Proper job.

He sounds like a very wise man keeping the off cuts. The cost of materials now I might have to start keeping them too.
Cheers mate. It's a good job, tough at times but mainly good. I'd recommend any young boy or girl to get a trade as there's a real lack of skilled tradesmen these days. And labourers. . Any youngsters just leaving school should look to site work.
I'm building a flat roof today with a roof light on an extension. Nice local job in Ascot.
Hi flipping Ho. !.. :)
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 7:52]

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 08:03 - Jul 23 with 1072 viewsdistortR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 07:48 - Jul 23 by PunteR

He sounds like a very wise man keeping the off cuts. The cost of materials now I might have to start keeping them too.
Cheers mate. It's a good job, tough at times but mainly good. I'd recommend any young boy or girl to get a trade as there's a real lack of skilled tradesmen these days. And labourers. . Any youngsters just leaving school should look to site work.
I'm building a flat roof today with a roof light on an extension. Nice local job in Ascot.

My son tried to get an apprenticeship over here, to get on any of the government courses you need a job first, no-one seems keen on taking on apprentices, those that are given tend to go to mates sons, etc. The government is wailing about young people leaving the island. Go figure.

The cost of materials, part of my pricing is that I do soft landscaping, I do the design for free and make on the plants.The price of plants now, it's a hard sell.

Edit - I'm off at 5. I like the clients who sit in the house all day (No tea, the cants), wait for me to write the invoice, and then come out to chat about the garden for an hour.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 8:06]
Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 10:50 - Jul 23 with 1009 viewsPunteR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 08:03 - Jul 23 by distortR

My son tried to get an apprenticeship over here, to get on any of the government courses you need a job first, no-one seems keen on taking on apprentices, those that are given tend to go to mates sons, etc. The government is wailing about young people leaving the island. Go figure.

The cost of materials, part of my pricing is that I do soft landscaping, I do the design for free and make on the plants.The price of plants now, it's a hard sell.

Edit - I'm off at 5. I like the clients who sit in the house all day (No tea, the cants), wait for me to write the invoice, and then come out to chat about the garden for an hour.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2022 8:06]

Cheap "skilled" labour from Europe didn't help the course but also I think a lot of young people brought up in the UK have got the wrong attitude to manual work and maybe put off companies taking them on.
The colleges are an utter shambles as well when it comes to trade. Its a disgrace really.
It puts off a lot of youngsters willing to learn. 17 - 20 year olds are notoriously difficult especially if they are not academicly switched on. Itsa tough age in some respects, starting off their working life. A tricky time for them and the system isn't set up to get the best out of them.
I put my son through NVQ level 2 and seen first hand how it's run.
My advise if you havnt got a contact within the industry to get an apprenticeship is to get on site labouring. Show a good attitude to hard work turn up every day and get off your mobile phone.
You will get that opportunity.

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 11:31 - Jul 23 with 959 viewsBoston

S'funny how dots get joined, for all the threads, this is the first time we've had someone admit to building those flat roof monstrosities. Probably drink Skol, don't ya?

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 13:28 - Jul 23 with 912 viewssupahoopsa

Just who is the 5 o'clock hero?

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 13:39 - Jul 23 with 892 viewsPunteR

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 11:31 - Jul 23 by Boston

S'funny how dots get joined, for all the threads, this is the first time we've had someone admit to building those flat roof monstrosities. Probably drink Skol, don't ya?

For every flat roof I've built there's a pitched roof. My conscience is clear..lol

Finish at 5pm or leave at 5pm? on 13:52 - Jul 23 with 887 viewsMick_S

Is it on a pub?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024