Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barcelona - Nou Camp 08:57 - Aug 24 with 7068 viewsJuzzie

As we’re in the vicinity I’m taking my boy to see the Barcelona v Man City game tonight.
He’ll be wearing his new QPR away shirt, I wonder if he’ll be the first!

I’ve been to loads of grounds around England (and one in Scotland) and quite a few neutral non-QPR games too but never seen a match abroad.

Anyone been? Any tips/pointers etc?

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:00 - Aug 24 with 5914 viewssparkey

Barcelona vs Man City tonight? Have I missed something?
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:02 - Aug 24 with 5895 viewsdaveB

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:00 - Aug 24 by sparkey

Barcelona vs Man City tonight? Have I missed something?

A Friendly with big tv right money to help pay off Barcelonas ridiculous debt, They'll be moaning about playing too many games again next month
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:04 - Aug 24 with 5883 viewsdaveB

actually feel a bit of a prat now when i googled why the game is being played, take all that back

Former Barcelona goalkeeper and coach Juan Carlos Unzué was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) two years ago. This match will help fund research at the Luzón Foundation.

Unzué is a former teammate of Guardiola and was part of the coaching staff under the Manchester City manager during his time in charge at Barcelona where Guardiola won 14 trophies over four years.

"This is an honour for us," Guardiola said in June.

"We want to thank Barca for inviting us to this wonderful venue. We will tell our players why this matters so much. It is admirable. I am very happy to come."

It's a strange time for a friendly with it being three days before a Premier League meeting with Crystal Palace, with Guardiola returning to the Camp Nou, but he has praised the friendly and the cause it represents.

"We will be together for a few days; our chairman (Khaldoon Al Mubarak) will be there with us for three days," he said.

"There is time to train and recover in a good environment, and we go because Barcelona opened their doors to make a game for an important person in our lives — he was a keeper for Spain and Barcelona and my assistant there, who is having an incredibly difficult time — and they invited us to raise money for a battle that he has for his disease."
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:06 - Aug 24 with 5859 viewsJuzzie

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:02 - Aug 24 by daveB

A Friendly with big tv right money to help pay off Barcelonas ridiculous debt, They'll be moaning about playing too many games again next month

From Talksport;

“ Ex-Barca goalkeeper Unzue, a former teammate of Guardiola who later worked under him as a coach, has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

And now Barcelona and City will meet in a match with proceeds going to raise funds for Fundacion Luzon, a charity set up to find a cure for ALS.”
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:18 - Aug 24 with 5805 viewsM40R

I took my son a few years ago and it was a great time. Though the great Messi, Saurez etc lost 1-0 to Celta Vigo! Easy to get to via Metro and we were so relaxed that we walked back into the town centre to enjoy the night. The view is OK considering how big it is, though the absence of a roof lets the crowd noise out. We also went on the tour next day - that was good. But not as good as Loftus Road of course.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:24 - Aug 24 with 5775 viewsJuzzie

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:18 - Aug 24 by M40R

I took my son a few years ago and it was a great time. Though the great Messi, Saurez etc lost 1-0 to Celta Vigo! Easy to get to via Metro and we were so relaxed that we walked back into the town centre to enjoy the night. The view is OK considering how big it is, though the absence of a roof lets the crowd noise out. We also went on the tour next day - that was good. But not as good as Loftus Road of course.

Thanks!

We’re on a coach excursion from the hotel (about an hour away) so that’s transportation taken care of. We’re in the penultimate tier from the top (Cat 2 pale purple) so just hoping it’s not like the away end at Newcastle!

[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 9:27]
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:25 - Aug 24 with 5767 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ve been to 3 games there.Once was up in the gods,another was up behind the goal,but the best atmosphere was just behind where the ultras sit behind the goal to the left from the camera view.
And there are so many bars and restaurants around the city centre that you could never get bored.
Just be careful for pickpockets,especially in the side streets off Las Ramblas.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:51 - Aug 24 with 5676 viewsdaveB

I 've done the tour several times and went to a game in 1994, same day Gallen got his first goal against Sheff Wed. Koeman was playing, think they won 4-3 against a Dutch side

The top tier is worse than Newcastle, thats where we were and it was an experience to say the least especially when the locals encouraged us all to climb over the fence at the top of the stadium and get access to the better seats, we didn't do it but a few lads from our hotel had a go and got in the posher seats

I imagine it's changed a bit since then, would love to go again and see a game
Login to get fewer ads

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:55 - Aug 24 with 5659 viewsrobith

I used to go to Barcelona a lot for Primavera, but shifted to their Porto leg when it started. I went back in November as we had a reservation at El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona (was for our 5th anniversary but we ended up going closer to out 7th lol).

It's actually pretty cool how the city has adapted to the challenges caused by Covid. The city offered cheap rents to local restaurants and shops to take over the closed tourist tat shops, and imo it's better than ever.

Ramblas is still dreadful though. Why does every major city have a bit in the centre that everyone is like "Oh, that's the super famous part of my town. It sucks, don't go there"
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 09:57 - Aug 24 with 5655 viewsJeff

Went in Feb 2020, just before Covid hit - wanted to specifically see Messi play at Barcelona before it was too late.

we ended up right at the top (literally the very top row!) but the view is still pretty spectacular:

Can we not knock it?

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:00 - Aug 24 with 5642 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

The ground is in severe need up an update and they are starting it soon. Very concrete and a lot of stairs to the higher levels. Views were good though and didn't feel too steep (I was on same tier as you but behind the goal)
It may be different for a friendly but they didn't serve alcohol in the ground or even in the surrounding area when I went in April. But some local bars did. I would eat before you go too if possible.
Atmosphere was good when I went even though there was "only" 55,000 out of 90,000 seats there. They lost 1-0 to Rayo and the ref got pelters all game. I enjoyed it as I wanted them to lose haha.
You will be amazing at the scale of it, seriously impressive.

Have fun!!
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:00 - Aug 24 with 5640 viewsNorthernr

Went on the tour there once in a QPR shirt and the groundsman was straight across to talk about Terry Venables.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:19 - Aug 24 with 5573 viewsdaveB

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:00 - Aug 24 by Northernr

Went on the tour there once in a QPR shirt and the groundsman was straight across to talk about Terry Venables.

My son couldn't believe there is a mention of QPR in the museum tour, he found that hilarious
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 10:19]
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:26 - Aug 24 with 5537 viewsNorthantsHoop

Did the tour five years ago, loved it.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 10:30 - Aug 24 with 5514 viewsngbqpr

Did the tour in 92, finally got to a match in time to see Messi in 2019.

You'll love it :)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 11:47 - Aug 24 with 5396 viewscaliforniahoop

I am on the French Spanish border, I might just try my luck, I may even have my QPR top with me.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 13:22 - Aug 24 with 5286 viewsStainesR

Went 4 years ago to see them play Boca Juniors in a pre season friendly,sat halfway up behind the goal amongst the boca fans,there must have been around 15000 of them in a 55000 attendance,my lad had the current QPR home shirt on.
Remember it being unforgiving without any shade from the sun and no alcohol inside.
Messi played and scored,also did the tour the next day all in all it was a wonderful break there until we found out the scores from back home on the Saturday and West Brom put 7 past us!
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 13:37 - Aug 24 with 5229 viewsLongsufferingR

No QPR game on tonight? OK, you're excused then.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 13:58 - Aug 24 with 5189 viewsaston_hoop

I'll be there tonight Juzzie, local game to me as a Barcelona resident. If I spot a QPR shirt amongst the sea of 80,000+ fans, I'll be sure to give you a big UUUUURSSSSS

As others have said, easy enough on the metro, I go to Palau Reial station on line 3 of the metro usually but Collblanc station on line 5 is also fine. Both a short enough walk and you'll be surrounded by plenty of others doing the same so follow the crowd. I usually find its worth getting there a bit early, can get very busy naturally and its a huge ground so can take time to find where you're going.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 14:03]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 15:35 - Aug 24 with 5057 viewsstowmarketrange

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 13:22 - Aug 24 by StainesR

Went 4 years ago to see them play Boca Juniors in a pre season friendly,sat halfway up behind the goal amongst the boca fans,there must have been around 15000 of them in a 55000 attendance,my lad had the current QPR home shirt on.
Remember it being unforgiving without any shade from the sun and no alcohol inside.
Messi played and scored,also did the tour the next day all in all it was a wonderful break there until we found out the scores from back home on the Saturday and West Brom put 7 past us!

That’s the place I’d like to go and see a few games.Buenos Aires and the derby games in that city are definitely on the bucket list.
Anyone got any tips how to do it safely and (or) cheaply?
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 16:05 - Aug 24 with 5007 viewsJuzzie

Thanks everyone.
Unfortunately there won’t be time to spend in the city itself as it’s an excursion so straight to the ground and then straight out again back to the hotel.

Leaving in about 25 minutes. I’ll be wearing my vintage Le Coq Sportif training top as it’s too warm for polyester.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 16:34 - Aug 24 with 4954 viewsJuzzie

We are in block 327 so we’re actually lower down on the blue curve. Probably better than the higher purple section
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 16:46 - Aug 24 with 4944 viewsheadhoops

went there circa 10 years ago with two sons. All had our QPR shirts on and no bother. In the front row of the top tier which was very quiet, despite a 4-1 thumping of Deportivo. A few locals starting doing the paper airplane thing so we turned around and sung shall we sing a song for you. Was actually well received. Its an amazing stadium just keep an eye on the weather, top tier in the rian is no fun.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 17:07 - Aug 24 with 4924 viewsJuzzie

Weather will be lovely. 27oC and zero chance of rain.

My boy now wants to only wear his Barcelona top because “we’re at Barcelona, we only wear the QPR shirt when QPR are playing”. You can’t argue with the logic of a near 8 year old!

Anyways, I’ve brought the QPR shirt too and told him he has to wear it for some photos at least.
Barcelona - Nou Camp on 18:17 - Aug 24 with 4860 viewseastside_r

Barcelona - Nou Camp on 16:05 - Aug 24 by Juzzie

Thanks everyone.
Unfortunately there won’t be time to spend in the city itself as it’s an excursion so straight to the ground and then straight out again back to the hotel.

Leaving in about 25 minutes. I’ll be wearing my vintage Le Coq Sportif training top as it’s too warm for polyester.

That’s a shame it’s a brilliant city, been there about a dozen times.

I’ve been to games at the Cap Nou (3), where you’re sitting will be fine. In my opinion the first tier is too close to pitch level. The best view I had (and probably the best performance) was from the second tier, it was pricey but well worth it.

In the days before they sold out on shirt sponsorship, Feb 2012 Barca 5 Valencia 1 and Valencia had the temerity to take an early lead. Messi scored 4 but we all knew by then he was a genius. Iniesta who had already endeared himself with a certain goal down the road was absolutely mesmeric.

Spent hours agreeing on the under-rated genius of Iniesta with a Barnsley fan for many hours after the game in an Irish bar just off Catalunya (the placa) as you do.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 8:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024