Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same old England part 2 17:18 - Dec 24 with 1033 viewstrampie

Original post :- "How have England got such an easy draw on paper yet again in this World Cup ?

Before looking at the draw I thought they won't get past both Brazil and Argentina but it looks likely that Brazil and Argentina are going to be in a different half of the draw and destined to play each other in the semis, so any potential winner from the other half won't have to play the both of them (unless one of Brazil/Argentina don't win their group and perhaps they would be not that good anyway in that scenario).

Brazil might be deemed to be better overhaul than Argentina but possibly not head to head versus Argentina (didn't Argentina beat Brazil in the last Copa America ) so if Argentina get past Brazil in the semis then there is as much chance of an Argentina v England as there is of any other possible finals.

Iran, USA and Wales in the group for one of the 'big teams' in the form of England means they couldn't ask for better draw than that, then the possible easiest last 16 tie for them (possibly Senegal from Africa) then a potential Quarter final against France, France seem to be on the way down they lost 2-0 to Denmark last time out, they have injuries to their top players like Benzema and Pogba then England would have on paper a possible semi final against ageing Belgium.

England couldn't hand pick a better draw if they tried."

OHL and Dr P with the help of Sirjohnalot got the thread shut down, with them going off topic arguing and abusing, but I'm not allowing OHL and Dr P to spoil a topic of mine.
So back on track, England failed even with a good draw, falling at the first major hurdle they faced, it was a great opportunity for them (not for the first time, they nearly always get good draws, but they blew it).

[Post edited 24 Dec 2022 17:20]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Same old England part 2 on 17:40 - Dec 24 with 987 viewsunion_jack

You don’t half go on you know.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Same old England part 2 on 17:53 - Dec 24 with 983 viewstrampie

Odds I've noticed for the next World cup -
Brazil 6/1
France 7/1
England 9/1
Germany 10/1
Spain 11/1
Argentina 12/1

I would go Brazil as favourites as well, are Argentina and France better than Brazil at the moment ? I'm not too sure they are based on a cup competition although a very important one.
I would not have picked France to have made the final of this world cup due to form and missing players but they were in the easier half and next time round it can't be assumed they will have so many players missing so second favs fair enough, England 3rd favs seems a bit high but they do have some good young players who will be close to peak in 2026 based on age, Germany 4th fav too high for me, but a huge football country of 80 million people, Spain next favs fair enough based on their players ability but they need to move away from tikka taca or whatever it's called it's had its day, multiple subs that are in use these days mean that the opposition players aren't chasing the ball for 90 minutes all the time as half the team will have been subbed off. Argentina should be higher than 6th favourites but the bookies probably figure no Messi or at least an extremely old Messi, but you don't know they might find a replacement (probably nowhere near as good but might be good enough to win a trophy).

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Same old England part 2 on 12:53 - Dec 25 with 878 viewsonehunglow

Dear God ,man.Let it go

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Same old England part 2 on 14:07 - Dec 25 with 842 viewsSTID2017

Same old England part 2 on 17:53 - Dec 24 by trampie

Odds I've noticed for the next World cup -
Brazil 6/1
France 7/1
England 9/1
Germany 10/1
Spain 11/1
Argentina 12/1

I would go Brazil as favourites as well, are Argentina and France better than Brazil at the moment ? I'm not too sure they are based on a cup competition although a very important one.
I would not have picked France to have made the final of this world cup due to form and missing players but they were in the easier half and next time round it can't be assumed they will have so many players missing so second favs fair enough, England 3rd favs seems a bit high but they do have some good young players who will be close to peak in 2026 based on age, Germany 4th fav too high for me, but a huge football country of 80 million people, Spain next favs fair enough based on their players ability but they need to move away from tikka taca or whatever it's called it's had its day, multiple subs that are in use these days mean that the opposition players aren't chasing the ball for 90 minutes all the time as half the team will have been subbed off. Argentina should be higher than 6th favourites but the bookies probably figure no Messi or at least an extremely old Messi, but you don't know they might find a replacement (probably nowhere near as good but might be good enough to win a trophy).

Those odds are ridiculous.
No one knows how some of these teams will be playing in four years time.
As for England, their track record of failure ( bar one win on home soil ) in both major competitions indicates no reason to make them third favourites.
Not being biased against England, but would say the same of any country with the same record that were touted so highly

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024