Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Gabriel 18:41 - Jan 12 with 3977 viewsdmm

I'd love to read people's thoughts on this.

It seems to me that Peter Gabriel isn't rated anywhere as highly as, say, David Bowie or Sting. Given his incredible output of material for well over 50 years now, whether you like his stuff or not, why do you think he isn't cool?
Peter Gabriel on 18:45 - Jan 12 with 3926 viewsted_hendrix

Because he's a lawnmower?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Peter Gabriel on 18:49 - Jan 12 with 3907 viewsdmm

Peter Gabriel on 18:45 - Jan 12 by ted_hendrix

Because he's a lawnmower?

Sledgehammer, Shirley?
Peter Gabriel on 18:49 - Jan 12 with 3909 viewsqpr1976

I would suggest he’s probably more respected than Sting. Genesis were massive.

But Bowie knocks Both of them (put together) out of any ground. IMO of course.
Peter Gabriel on 19:35 - Jan 12 with 3751 viewsqprxtc

My mrs is pretty much in love with PG. I’ve bought her deluxe albums, framed photos and stuff. We have tickets to see him later this year.

I loved his first four solo albums, don’t know the others so we’ll. Games Without Frontiers is one my favourite songs ever. think he’s fairly well liked if not a megastar.

Not as good as Andy Partridge though, obvs.
Peter Gabriel on 19:38 - Jan 12 with 3747 viewsNorthantsHoop

Peter Gabriel is a fantastic artist but did not cut across the mainstream as much as David Bowie did, who is just an icon. Gabriel's background in prog rock with Genesis could be a factor that he is not known so well, although the SO album with the Sledgehammer hit had massive appeal across a range of pop and rock markets in the mid 80s.
Peter Gabriel on 20:13 - Jan 12 with 3649 viewshubble

Pete was talking to me abut this very issue not long ago. I said don't give up.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Peter Gabriel on 21:25 - Jan 12 with 3525 viewsLondon_Pride

In Your Eyes (Athens)- one of the great live recordings. I was lucky enough to see PG together with Bruce and Sting and Tracy Chapman in Amnesty International concert at Wembley. He was superb.
Peter Gabriel on 21:29 - Jan 12 with 3497 viewsBluce_Ree

He's alright but a bit too much of a prog ponce really. Good talent but all a bit too much at times. A bit like his missus. Like I get it but I don't enjoy it but I can respect it.

Sting can fk off. I once saw an interview with him where he said "some of us are more socially conscious" and then looked at the camera and made a peace sign. If I could have kicked his teeth in there and then I would have.

Prick. I remember his fking Volvo advert. Talk to me about the planet when you're selling cars even though you don't need the cash. C*nt.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 15:44]

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Peter Gabriel on 21:50 - Jan 12 with 3445 viewsHoosWho

He’s an incredibly talented musician, composer and songwriter. Fantastic live performer too, seen him a few times.I don’t think he gets the recognition he deserves.

Having said that, what do I know? I think Bowie was hugely overrated. I don’t get rap at all (especially the likes of Playboi Carti - my sons present chosen listen) yet some rappers are deemed genius. The grunting of Springsteen and the grumbling mumbler that’s Dylan have both always left me at a loss to understand how some people almost consider them deities.
Peter Gabriel on 22:20 - Jan 12 with 3346 viewsEsox_Lucius

I went to Brunel on a Friday night to see the Pink Fairies with a mate and when we got there all we saw were notices telling us the Fairies had pulled out (not unusual) and a band called Genesis would be taking their place. It was only a quid to get in so we thought, we're already here, might s well go in and see what they are like.
dark stage, build up backing music and some tw@t in a long white gown and a sunflower comes onstage for some pretentious bo!!0x; we gave it 30 mins and headed off to The John Bull in Chiswick to catch the end of whoever was playing there that night.
Despite buying Foxtrot later in life I never really got into Genesis and I have nothing but contempt for Sting's music after he left The Police. Bowie on the other hand is a genuine, bone fide iconic musical icon.

The grass is always greener.

Peter Gabriel on 22:26 - Jan 12 with 3318 viewsRs_Holy

genius... but not quite in the same league as Bowie imho

Peter Gabriel on 22:47 - Jan 12 with 3266 viewsCiderwithRsie

Big Gabriel fan personally, and I'd rate him much higher than Sting (who is OK in parts) but he's just not in the same league as Bowie for influence as a song-writer and performer. (Arguably Gabriel's greatest legacy will be WOMAD and the World Music scene rather than his own work.)

Controversially, I think the four Genesis albums after he left are actually their best work, and that his best work is post-Genesis.

(PS any time England are playing cricket in Port Elizabeth, I'm always half expecting Agnew to start TMS by saying "Port Elizabeth, weather fine...")
Peter Gabriel on 07:58 - Jan 13 with 3050 viewsdmm

Thanks for the replies. It's pleasing for me to read those who appreciate Gabriel's work. Maybe he's rated more than I think. I also get why people don't like his stuff but his innovation and creativity surely can't be questioned.

Over the decades I've attached a lot of nostalgic emotion to many of his songs and his deep introspective work has often hit the spot. I guess that's the power of music for all of us.

As for comparing Gabriel to Bowie and Sting, I'd agree with many of the above comments. I still listen to Bowie today, but never to Sting.
Peter Gabriel on 10:03 - Jan 13 with 2927 viewsTheChef

Peter Gabriel on 22:47 - Jan 12 by CiderwithRsie

Big Gabriel fan personally, and I'd rate him much higher than Sting (who is OK in parts) but he's just not in the same league as Bowie for influence as a song-writer and performer. (Arguably Gabriel's greatest legacy will be WOMAD and the World Music scene rather than his own work.)

Controversially, I think the four Genesis albums after he left are actually their best work, and that his best work is post-Genesis.

(PS any time England are playing cricket in Port Elizabeth, I'm always half expecting Agnew to start TMS by saying "Port Elizabeth, weather fine...")

Agreed - could never really get into full-prog Genesis while Gabriel was there (yet enjoyed their stuff after he left), but I think all his solo work is excellent and So is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Might just fire it up now.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Peter Gabriel on 14:41 - Jan 13 with 2796 viewsPaddyhoops

Peter Gabriel on 10:03 - Jan 13 by TheChef

Agreed - could never really get into full-prog Genesis while Gabriel was there (yet enjoyed their stuff after he left), but I think all his solo work is excellent and So is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Might just fire it up now.

Love Peter Gabriel. He’s duet with the Chieftains on Babe is wonderful.
He’s Genesis years were top notch as well.
Never quite sure how a man from the Home Counties ended up with a South African accent mind.
Very odd.
Peter Gabriel on 14:45 - Jan 13 with 2791 viewsCroydonCaptJack

He is good but he is no Aphex Twin.
Peter Gabriel on 15:28 - Jan 13 with 2755 viewsBklynRanger

Peter Gabriel on 14:41 - Jan 13 by Paddyhoops

Love Peter Gabriel. He’s duet with the Chieftains on Babe is wonderful.
He’s Genesis years were top notch as well.
Never quite sure how a man from the Home Counties ended up with a South African accent mind.
Very odd.

Maybe it was the Steven Biko stuff? Got in his head and never left.

I think Peter Gabriel's great, though part of the answer to the question may be I think he's great because of Selling England By the Pound etc, not so much for the later things he did solo-wise or with Kate Bush - that was really good but not, as said, Bowie level, I don't think.

He has a really nice guest appearance on the second last song of the recent Arcade Fire album - perfect song for him and a good listen.
Peter Gabriel on 15:34 - Jan 13 with 2730 viewsSonofpugwash

We had Genesis down the rehearsal studios(nice guy Peter),dear god they were boring.We sat outside in the reception area listening to them going over and over the intro to one goddam number.
Sort of bass and guitar going didda dum,didda dum and Gabriel singing da da da do eh.Same few bars over and over.Half an hour of this and we all went to the pub over the road.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Peter Gabriel on 23:57 - Jan 13 with 2612 viewsCiderwithRsie

As a PS, my dad finally died just after Christmas. Played this to myself the week before:

Peter Gabriel on 00:27 - Jan 14 with 2583 viewsBklynRanger

Very sorry to hear that Cider
Peter Gabriel on 00:40 - Jan 14 with 2574 viewsHanwellHoop

Peter Gabriel on 15:28 - Jan 13 by BklynRanger

Maybe it was the Steven Biko stuff? Got in his head and never left.

I think Peter Gabriel's great, though part of the answer to the question may be I think he's great because of Selling England By the Pound etc, not so much for the later things he did solo-wise or with Kate Bush - that was really good but not, as said, Bowie level, I don't think.

He has a really nice guest appearance on the second last song of the recent Arcade Fire album - perfect song for him and a good listen.

Bowie did an appearance on an Arcade Fire track too - Reflektor.

Can’t say I’ve really got into PG but no doubting he’s got something that most ain’t.
Peter Gabriel on 20:03 - Jan 14 with 2428 viewsCiderwithRsie

Peter Gabriel on 00:27 - Jan 14 by BklynRanger

Very sorry to hear that Cider

Many thanks.

Got my grieving in early when I knew he was terminal. Lived to 94, good man, good life, I saw him the day before and told him I loved him, and he died in his sleep. Most of us would take that.

Still miss him though.
Peter Gabriel on 22:26 - Jan 14 with 2317 viewsKonk

Peter Gabriel on 20:03 - Jan 14 by CiderwithRsie

Many thanks.

Got my grieving in early when I knew he was terminal. Lived to 94, good man, good life, I saw him the day before and told him I loved him, and he died in his sleep. Most of us would take that.

Still miss him though.

94’s a great age, but still brutal losing a parent. Glad you got to spend so long with your dad, let him know you loved him, and that he passed away peacefully. Take it easy and I hope your memories are a comfort.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Peter Gabriel on 00:18 - Jan 15 with 2208 viewsPaddyhoops

Peter Gabriel on 20:03 - Jan 14 by CiderwithRsie

Many thanks.

Still miss him though.

RIP. Regardless of age . It’s never easy losing a parent.
Condolences Rosie.
Peter Gabriel on 09:44 - Jan 16 with 2003 viewsQueeg

Biko is a work of genius.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024