Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life 22:30 - Feb 1 with 9655 viewsMrSheen

Every few years I’ve looked up to see the moon up in the blue daytime sky and thought, “How the fck did that happen?” before forgetting all about it until the next time I noticed. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I realised this had happened every month of my life and, indeed, every month before my life. I looked up whether the moon would be out if I went for a night walk in Richmond Park, and found out here
https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/uk/london?month=2&year=2023
that it wasn’t making an appearance at all that day, that the time of its rising and setting cycles through the full 24 hours every 29 days (ie the time I takes to go from full to new and back to full), and that the time of its appearance also goes through a full cycle of increase and decrease in that period.

No doubt anyone brought up in the country or on the coast works this out by their seventh birthday and it wouldn’t be news to the people who made Stonehenge, but I was staggered. Anyone else had a “small, far away” learning moment recently?
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 22:39 - Feb 1 with 5583 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It was ten years after I left Rangers and England that it dawned on me why the Loft called Dave Seamen 'Spunky'.

Does that count?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 22:55 - Feb 1 with 5526 viewsqprxtc

That Queens Park Rangers Football and Athletic Club Limited are a f ucking waste of my time and money.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 23:14 - Feb 1 with 5457 viewsA40Bosh

That not all people are honest

That just because someone disagrees with your opinion it does not mean it is you who is wrong

That worrying about tomorrow will make today or tomorrow any better

That intelligence is not always an asset when arguing with those who will only use their fists to make their point of view

That being respectful often allows others to take advantage

That admitting you are struggling is a sign of strength and does not mean you are weak

That until you love your 10 year old self and realise that he was not a failure then you might eventually stop trying to prove to yourself that you are good enough.

That this is not the rehearsal - this is our one shot

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life (n/t) on 01:27 - Feb 2 with 5335 viewsnumptydumpty

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 23:14 - Feb 1 by A40Bosh

That not all people are honest

That just because someone disagrees with your opinion it does not mean it is you who is wrong

That worrying about tomorrow will make today or tomorrow any better

That intelligence is not always an asset when arguing with those who will only use their fists to make their point of view

That being respectful often allows others to take advantage

That admitting you are struggling is a sign of strength and does not mean you are weak

That until you love your 10 year old self and realise that he was not a failure then you might eventually stop trying to prove to yourself that you are good enough.

That this is not the rehearsal - this is our one shot

[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 2:53]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 08:05 - Feb 2 with 4981 viewsdutch

That Sandie Shaw was a made up name.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 08:45 - Feb 2 with 4894 viewsE17hoop

That 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc are derived from their spelling and are using the last 2 letters, e.g. first, second, third, etc.

In a conversation t's always better to ask a question than answer a question

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 08:50 - Feb 2 with 4854 viewsnix

I just learned that metal sink plugs can be turned on their side to act as a key to unscrew the metal bit in the sink. Mind blown.

Also got through the baby stages with both my children without realising that the envelope shaped babygros were designed so you could take them off from the bottom rather than over the head so you don't get anything nasty in their hair/face.

Love Bosh's list too. Definitely true that you can't reason with an unreasonable person, you just have to do your own thing and ignore them as best you can. Also that saying no to something you don't want to do doesn't mean you're a bad person. Oh and it's okay to have the last biscuit, you don't always have to offer it to someone else.

How to pump up car tyres and that the pressure guides are in the side of your car door and your dashboard has an indicator that tells you which side the fuel gauge is.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 8:55]
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 08:57 - Feb 2 with 4839 viewsqpr1976

That as a teenager who thought I would attract girls by trying to look film/pop star cool with a cigarette hanging from my lips, that I would be far more successful if I just smiled at them !
My god, most girls smile back as a natural response !

(Or, these days, call the police….)
Login to get fewer ads

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:14 - Feb 2 with 4782 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Danny Baker used to call these 'idiot eureka' moments.
The Dave Seaman nickname was definitely one. I'll think of more, because there are hundreds that the numbskulls in my head must have hurriedly filed away to save me embarassment!

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:27 - Feb 2 with 4723 viewsEsox_Lucius

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 22:39 - Feb 1 by BrianMcCarthy

It was ten years after I left Rangers and England that it dawned on me why the Loft called Dave Seamen 'Spunky'.

Does that count?

Someone should have forewarned Michael Wale before his interview with Seaman when he 1st signed; his question, something along the lines of "Welcome to Loftus Road David, I hear the players have already given you a nickname of Harry, where did that come from"? Seaman just looked at him as if he was stupid and just said "Dunno".

The grass is always greener.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:28 - Feb 2 with 4717 viewsDWQPR

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:14 - Feb 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Danny Baker used to call these 'idiot eureka' moments.
The Dave Seaman nickname was definitely one. I'll think of more, because there are hundreds that the numbskulls in my head must have hurriedly filed away to save me embarassment!

As far as I was concerned Seaman’s nickname was Harry, as in Harry Monk, Cockney rhyming slang then brings you to your own nickname.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:39 - Feb 2 with 4683 viewsAndybrat

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:28 - Feb 2 by DWQPR

As far as I was concerned Seaman’s nickname was Harry, as in Harry Monk, Cockney rhyming slang then brings you to your own nickname.

Dogs are magical creatures, had our 1st dog when I was 54 after much begging from everyone. I never knew !!! and now I do, suspect the 2 cats don’t agree
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 9:40]
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:40 - Feb 2 with 4679 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:28 - Feb 2 by DWQPR

I've heard both, DW.

The Loft used to greet him as he ran onto the pitch with chants of "Spunky, Spunky, Spunky..."

Years later, on a trip back to England we were in the Bush Ranger chatting about players' nicknames and somebody mentioned Spunky Seaman and it finally dawned on me. Worse still was that it must have registered across my dopey face as the lads with me all cottoned on to it.

Even now, it's dragged out of the cellar occasionally to beat me across the head with.
Bless me.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:55 - Feb 2 with 4626 viewsBluce_Ree

I've learned some basic life skills only in the last ten years or less.

I only really started cooking properly in my 40s and it turns out I'm good at it. Problem is my mum was just like me, she fking hated people being in the kitchen when she was cooking. And so she never really taught me anything.

Until two years ago I was either putting processed foods in the microwave or oven but barely ever messing with the hobs. Now I'm Bluce the Flavour Elevator. I've got a favourite spatula and a cupboard full of spices that I ACTUALLY USE. I used to be punk.

Also, how to use a drill. Again, not hard but if you don't know, you don't know. Now I'm always doing little jobs for my wife's family. I fixed a step the other day. Who fixes a step?! This fking guy!

The big one was about money/saving/investing. About 5 years ago I went up to a director at work and said 'Chris, you're loaded, what do you do with your money?' and surprisingly he took me into a meeting room and explained to me about Stocks and Shares ISAs and SIPPs. Life changing shit really. I went from being 43 with no plan, to now working towards retiring early enough to enjoy it.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:26 - Feb 2 with 4553 viewsswitchingcode

The Premier league ain’t all that.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:37 - Feb 2 with 4501 viewsPaddyhoops

Always thought Bob holiness played sax on Baker Street.
Found out it was an urban myth whatever that is!
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:39 - Feb 2 with 4498 viewsWokingR

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 09:55 - Feb 2 by Bluce_Ree

I've learned some basic life skills only in the last ten years or less.

I only really started cooking properly in my 40s and it turns out I'm good at it. Problem is my mum was just like me, she fking hated people being in the kitchen when she was cooking. And so she never really taught me anything.

Until two years ago I was either putting processed foods in the microwave or oven but barely ever messing with the hobs. Now I'm Bluce the Flavour Elevator. I've got a favourite spatula and a cupboard full of spices that I ACTUALLY USE. I used to be punk.

Also, how to use a drill. Again, not hard but if you don't know, you don't know. Now I'm always doing little jobs for my wife's family. I fixed a step the other day. Who fixes a step?! This fking guy!

The big one was about money/saving/investing. About 5 years ago I went up to a director at work and said 'Chris, you're loaded, what do you do with your money?' and surprisingly he took me into a meeting room and explained to me about Stocks and Shares ISAs and SIPPs. Life changing shit really. I went from being 43 with no plan, to now working towards retiring early enough to enjoy it.

Glad it's not just me mate
Can't stand someone being in the kitchen when I'm cooking. Sometimes find myself making exagerated movements with my big chefs knife to make the point.
Have you started growing your own ingredients yet to take those flavours up another level ? Anything pulled or picked and then used within minutes is different gravy, quite literally.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 10:41]
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:39 - Feb 2 with 4494 viewsPaddyhoops

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:37 - Feb 2 by Paddyhoops

Holiness. Sorry productive feckin Toxt 🤦🏼‍♂️
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:47 - Feb 2 with 4455 viewsSonofpugwash

The lyrics to Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" wasn't "scuse me while I kiss this guy".

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:55 - Feb 2 with 4432 viewsRBlock

I thought pickles/gherkins were there own vegetable. Only recently learned they were cucumbers that had been pickled.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:08 - Feb 2 with 4385 viewsjohnhoop

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:47 - Feb 2 by Sonofpugwash

The lyrics to Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" wasn't "scuse me while I kiss this guy".

Glad to discover I wasn’t the only one!
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:15 - Feb 2 with 4362 viewsLancashirehoop

When the BBC announced they were terminating Ceefax it only then dawned on me that it means 'see facts'

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not all against you.

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:36 - Feb 2 with 4282 viewsCateLeBonR

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:37 - Feb 2 by Paddyhoops

Was just about to say similar.

I’ve only fairly recently started to realise that most stuff that I thought I knew, is made up nonsense.
Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:59 - Feb 2 with 4208 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 11:15 - Feb 2 by Lancashirehoop

When the BBC announced they were terminating Ceefax it only then dawned on me that it means 'see facts'

Ok....
I just got that too!

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 12:02 - Feb 2 with 4195 viewsBluce_Ree

Stuff you learned embarrassingly late in life on 10:39 - Feb 2 by WokingR

Glad it's not just me mate
Can't stand someone being in the kitchen when I'm cooking. Sometimes find myself making exagerated movements with my big chefs knife to make the point.
Have you started growing your own ingredients yet to take those flavours up another level ? Anything pulled or picked and then used within minutes is different gravy, quite literally.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 10:41]

Getting the garden sorted this month and then looking to do a bit of growing for sure.

My gravy game is weak. Will look to get that sorted and also a bit of BBQ action too. Just something I've never done.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024