Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth from the BBC 19:11 - Apr 22 with 7269 viewsPinnerR

QPR manager Gareth Ainsworth told BBC Radio London: "I can't thank the boys enough for their efforts, they were absolutely sensational. We rode our luck a couple of times, I'm not going to gloss over that. Burnley are a hell of a team - no team has come here and beat them.

"They'd had 15 wins and six draws. I said to the boys nobody has tried what we're going to try today. It's risky, we sat in and defended. The boys had to believe in it and they really did, they took everything on that we said, they ran until they couldn't run any more, that's what they had to do to win.

"I'm not going to come here and go toe-to-toe with the best team in the league, no chance.

"It was a brilliant performance. I am really proud. Being a Blackburn lad makes it a little bit sweeter.

"I am in awe of Vincent Kompany and what he's done here. They deserve to be in the Premier League. It makes the result even sweeter for me - it's a top result and it goes a long way towards our safety in the Championship."
Gareth from the BBC on 19:55 - Apr 22 with 6902 viewsswisscottage

Regardless of what some may think of his tactics, how many can say they can't get behind a man like this:

and
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 19:59]
Gareth from the BBC on 20:13 - Apr 22 with 6764 viewsVancouverHoop

"[game] possession can do one! It's the [defining] moments that count"

His philosophy in a nutshell.
Gareth from the BBC on 23:45 - Apr 22 with 6260 viewsWatfordR

Gareth from the BBC on 20:13 - Apr 22 by VancouverHoop

Whatever his philosophy, results and points are the only things that matter for the rest of this season, however they come.

We can worry about the club's management, philosophy, playing style and everything else after the Bristol game. For now, three massive and hugely unexpected points, so well done to all concerned.
Gareth from the BBC on 01:43 - Apr 23 with 5986 viewsLblock

Scruffy kunt!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Gareth from the BBC on 07:53 - Apr 23 with 5669 viewsLeedsR

Gareth from the BBC on 20:13 - Apr 22 by VancouverHoop

I can see his point though. I’m not for one moment saying that we shouldn’t be able to hold on to the ball and control the game when we need to, but surely it’s what you do with it when you have it that matters.

I liked what Warbs was trying to do, but particularly in the last 6 months or so of his time with us, we took it to the wrong extreme. The amount of p*ss-balling we’d do in our own half with no meaningful play or forward passes, and certainly no chances being made, really got on my wick. Dieng would roll it to Dickie, pass to Dunne, back again, to Field, and back ad nauseam. Teams would just wait for us to lose the ball, which we invariably did, they’d take their chances, (we couldn’t even create our own), and win.

One of the Burnley commentators summed it up perfectly for me, in that we took our chances, and Burnley didn’t. Looking at the stats, for all their possession, Burnley only had one more shot on target than us, but we had the stat that counts.
Gareth from the BBC on 08:23 - Apr 23 with 5552 viewsstevec

You won’t get away with 19% possession very often though.

This is a ragbag team that could easily still come undone against two sides with absolutely nothing to play for.

Looking down that team sheet, I’d only consider five of the outfield players good enough to be playing championship football for us next season and three of those are defenders, surprisingly, given our goals conceded column.

As for the subs, Armstrong yes, Martin no on the basis of his age, and for me Richards should be ashamed he’s taking a wage.

As for Roberts and JCS, they have stunk the place out and I fear the smell will still be in evidence next season.

If we stay up it’s a massive job next season. I like GA but it’s going to take more than blood sweat and tears to turn this mess around.
Gareth from the BBC on 08:58 - Apr 23 with 5384 viewsLeedsR

Gareth from the BBC on 08:23 - Apr 23 by stevec

This is a ragbag team that could easily still come undone against two sides with absolutely nothing to play for.

Looking down that team sheet, I’d only consider five of the outfield players good enough to be playing championship football for us next season and three of those are defenders, surprisingly, given our goals conceded column.

As for the subs, Armstrong yes, Martin no on the basis of his age, and for me Richards should be ashamed he’s taking a wage.

As for Roberts and JCS, they have stunk the place out and I fear the smell will still be in evidence next season.

If we stay up it’s a massive job next season. I like GA but it’s going to take more than blood sweat and tears to turn this mess around.

Nothing to disagree with there!
Gareth from the BBC on 16:56 - Apr 23 with 5064 viewsWestonsuperR

Agreed on all points…sadly!
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth from the BBC on 12:32 - Apr 24 with 4674 viewsthemodfather

seeing the reaction across the team and staff at full time shows they wanted it, well done now to build on it. don't lose at stoke.
Gareth from the BBC on 21:24 - Apr 24 with 4295 viewsbarbicanranger

I saw a lot of the Twitteratti clenched on to the "possession can do one" comment. Personally, I think it is far too early to tell what GA's QPR will look like and I'm pretty sure GA doesn't fully believe that comment to be true. Since GA's come in he's basically been firefighting one sh*t-show to the next with a constantly rotating list of available / unavailable, out-of-form, low-on-confidence players and players that simply don't want to be there. I'd hold out until next season before assessing out our style of play but if you offered me Warnock's QPR vs. Rodger's Swansea of 2010/11, I would take the former. I do think there is a line between meaningless possession and effective, direct, attacking play.
Gareth from the BBC on 21:49 - Apr 24 with 4197 viewscharmr

You can’t play like that every week and expect success/results.

Thie possession debate is simply full of nuances. Brighton play possession based football. It’s how you interpret what you think possession based football is.

I’ll gladly take the win big time but the jury is still out with GA for me.
Gareth from the BBC on 21:53 - Apr 24 with 4184 viewskensalriser

Gareth from the BBC on 01:43 - Apr 23 by Lblock

Scruffy kunt!!

It's not the 1950s. Everyone's scruffy now.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Gareth from the BBC on 21:58 - Apr 24 with 4159 viewshubble

Hold on a minute: surely he's saying this was a one-off, with bespoke tactics just for that game. In other words, he deserves more credit than he's getting here. Because they worked, even though he admits it was a gamble. That doesn't mean we're going to play like that every game going forward, his 'possession' comments notwithstanding. And you can understand how pumped he must have felt that they worked. Surely that's a good thing?

I think he's a wee bit cannier than people realise.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Gareth from the BBC on 22:02 - Apr 24 with 4148 viewsVancouverHoop

Gareth from the BBC on 21:24 - Apr 24 by barbicanranger

I saw a lot of the Twitteratti clenched on to the "possession can do one" comment. Personally, I think it is far too early to tell what GA's QPR will look like and I'm pretty sure GA doesn't fully believe that comment to be true. Since GA's come in he's basically been firefighting one sh*t-show to the next with a constantly rotating list of available / unavailable, out-of-form, low-on-confidence players and players that simply don't want to be there. I'd hold out until next season before assessing out our style of play but if you offered me Warnock's QPR vs. Rodger's Swansea of 2010/11, I would take the former. I do think there is a line between meaningless possession and effective, direct, attacking play.

I saw a lot of the Twitteratti clenched on to the "possession can do one" comment. Personally, I think it is far too early to tell what GA's QPR will look like and I'm pretty sure GA doesn't fully believe that comment to be true.

He went on to say possession football wins games only 50% of the time. But I think you're right, it's way to early to judge him. And let's face it very few managers have started a new job in such precarious circumstances.
Gareth from the BBC on 22:30 - Apr 24 with 4087 viewswombat

Gareth from the BBC on 22:02 - Apr 24 by VancouverHoop

I saw a lot of the Twitteratti clenched on to the "possession can do one" comment. Personally, I think it is far too early to tell what GA's QPR will look like and I'm pretty sure GA doesn't fully believe that comment to be true.

He went on to say possession football wins games only 50% of the time. But I think you're right, it's way to early to judge him. And let's face it very few managers have started a new job in such precarious circumstances.

The football under MWbored me to tears , his press conferences bored me to tears , and I’ll get pelters for it I wasn’t bothered about him going , obv wasn’t expecting what followed but as a coach . Manager he was pretty boring . Give me some passion some theatre anytime , warnock Ollie Ainsworth all similar all lively in your face types , infectious personality’s . If we keep dykes next season , Sinclair Armstrong comes good, I’d be happy with plenty of balls down the channels for them to work with and see what happens when he gets his own players in.

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Gareth from the BBC on 17:55 - Apr 26 with 3565 viewsPinnerPaul

Gareth from the BBC on 22:02 - Apr 24 by VancouverHoop

On that last point, I thought he meant that the team with the most possession only wins 51% of games?
Gareth from the BBC on 19:18 - Apr 26 with 3328 viewswesty

Gareth from the BBC on 19:55 - Apr 22 by swisscottage

Regardless of what some may think of his tactics, how many can say they can't get behind a man like this:

and
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 19:59]

Jeez what a bunch of moaners.
We’ve got a guy in GA with Heart, Passion, Desire, Fight, Charisma and Loyalty yet so many keyboard managers chip in on a daily saying he’s not tactically aware, he’s not a championship manager. He can’t get the players behind him, they are picking the team and choosing the tactics.
Let’s play the QPR way.

What a load of utter bollx. Bloody laughable tbh.
We have a manager who has inherited a shitshow of a squad and he’s working his nuts off to improve on a daily basis. Hopefully he can get us over the line.

In GA we have a manager who will literally give his all, is he tactically astute, probably more so than the majority of the people on here.
Certainly more so than managing the Dog and Duck on a Sunday morning yet thinking you are Alex Ferguson.

He’s honest in his interviews, something he should maybe look at protecting himself a bit more.
I think he deserves a bit more credit tbh. He’s left a job he had for life tbh at WW to come back to QPR and try and improve both himself and this club.
In his 10 years or so at WW he took them from 90mins away from the NL to the Championship, no mean feat on such a tiny budget. They were constantly in the top half of L1 and in and around the play offs most of the time. Yet he’s tactilly not good enough.
It’s laughable tbh.

I read on another forum Joey Barton’s name being mentioned. Hahahaha ffs.

To all the keyboard managers be very careful what you wish for. This club is not in a great place right now and we need someone who loves the place and will give his all.
Gareth from the BBC on 19:32 - Apr 26 with 3291 viewsstainrods_elbow

Gareth from the BBC on 08:58 - Apr 23 by LeedsR

Nothing to disagree with there!

I mostly agree too, but for me Richards looks like he has creativity and quality if he can get his head (and body) right. It could go either way with him.

I don't much like the cut of Roberts' jib.

Clarke-Salter seems to have ability, but is not what we need either, based on this season's evidence.

I have time for Laird if we can get him back to the attacking full-back he was under Beale, but I guess he's going back to Manure.

Somehow or other, we'll need to strengthen with a centre forward, a creative midfielder, a ball winner/enforcer, and, depending on what happens with the enigma that is Chris Willock, a tricky winger. I feel in my water Dieng might be on his way too.

As for GA, I don't think anyone is disputing his passion and heart - it's more a matter of how much nous, tactical awareness, and footballing sophistication he has in his locker. Assuming we stay up, but even if we don't, he'll need a season at least to put his stamp on things, and that should make clear his practical footballing philosophy. Until then, the jury is out.

There's a lot to do and to organise, clearly, wherever we finish. Meanwhile, despite the glorious shock at Burnley, I don't know about anyone else, but I still feel jittery about the last two games.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 19:40]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Gareth from the BBC on 19:56 - Apr 26 with 3230 viewsloftboy

Exactly this.
We used to sing to Swansea “it’s like watching paint dry” now every fûcker plays (or tries to) play like it.
Would rather a team plays in the opposition half than in their own penalty box, mix it up a bit, play long when needed and knock it about when you are 3 up.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024