Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy Companies 23:11 - Jul 7 with 8608 viewsmax936

We are owed a 4 figure sum off an energy company exposed by Watchdog on the One Show earlier in the week, we've emailed Watchdog but surprisingly they don't want to know.

Anybody had a similar experience by them of another company, if yes did they resolve the issue if yes how?
Ombudsman is next to useless, and the energy company in question keeps fobbing us off and are clearly intent on not paying up.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Energy Companies on 09:03 - Jul 13 with 805 viewscontroversial_jack

Energy Companies on 10:57 - Jul 12 by Boundy

I have , one in n Wales and one off the se Kent coast

I have a mate who does similar work. He says renewables are fine, but we will never have enough to make a difference. Do you concur?
Energy Companies on 10:13 - Jul 14 with 797 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 09:03 - Jul 13 by controversial_jack

I have a mate who does similar work. He says renewables are fine, but we will never have enough to make a difference. Do you concur?

They are already making a huge difference. In the last year wind and solar provided over a third of the electricity to the national grid. Even more if you include home generated solar which reduces demand on the grid.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Energy Companies on 11:27 - Jul 14 with 744 viewscontroversial_jack

Energy Companies on 10:13 - Jul 14 by felixstowe_jack

They are already making a huge difference. In the last year wind and solar provided over a third of the electricity to the national grid. Even more if you include home generated solar which reduces demand on the grid.

i'm just going by what he said. My heating and cooking requires gas, so electricity is just a part of the equation
Energy Companies on 11:43 - Jul 14 with 752 viewsBoundy

Energy Companies on 11:27 - Jul 14 by controversial_jack

i'm just going by what he said. My heating and cooking requires gas, so electricity is just a part of the equation

There are many forms of electricity generation and new technology advancing all the time, aa a country after privatisation we had no clear policy on generation and as we see now we're playing catch up due to the amount of coal fired stations being made redundant . I couldn't predict when we a would become self sufficient but the country is making great strides towards being fossil fuel free . Battery energy storage sites are popping up every where and yes we can debate the cost v reward but coal / fire stations always came with a price to the environment .
To me it makes sense to utilise the free stuff which is a constant , tides , wind and to a lesser extent solar .
Why planning consent on new builds is is given without the proviso that any south facing roof has to have solar panels fitted is a mystery to me.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Energy Companies on 18:14 - Jul 14 with 732 viewsonehunglow

Energy Companies on 15:27 - Jul 10 by builthjack

Oh for the days when the meter reader came around and read the meter every quarter.
You had an itemised bill in the post a week later and had a fortnight to pay before the red letter.
Everyone knew where they were.

I’m buggered why we went decimal

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Energy Companies on 19:56 - Jul 14 with 721 viewsSullutaCreturned

Energy Companies on 11:43 - Jul 14 by Boundy

There are many forms of electricity generation and new technology advancing all the time, aa a country after privatisation we had no clear policy on generation and as we see now we're playing catch up due to the amount of coal fired stations being made redundant . I couldn't predict when we a would become self sufficient but the country is making great strides towards being fossil fuel free . Battery energy storage sites are popping up every where and yes we can debate the cost v reward but coal / fire stations always came with a price to the environment .
To me it makes sense to utilise the free stuff which is a constant , tides , wind and to a lesser extent solar .
Why planning consent on new builds is is given without the proviso that any south facing roof has to have solar panels fitted is a mystery to me.

Your last line is something I've been saying for ages, more, I think every government/council building should have solar panels on their roof.

I think all new builds should be specially designed so their roof is almost entirely south facing too.
Energy Companies on 21:55 - Jul 14 with 707 viewsBoundy

Energy Companies on 19:56 - Jul 14 by SullutaCreturned

Your last line is something I've been saying for ages, more, I think every government/council building should have solar panels on their roof.

I think all new builds should be specially designed so their roof is almost entirely south facing too.

I have panels fitted to my roof , which certainly in the summer have helped offset the rises we're suffering from . Why there's not a bigger uptake , a new house costs x amount already so why not have them fitted as a matter of course the payment would be lost in the mortgage any way

Energy Companies on 22:51 - Jul 14 with 702 viewsmajorraglan

Energy Companies on 21:55 - Jul 14 by Boundy

I have panels fitted to my roof , which certainly in the summer have helped offset the rises we're suffering from . Why there's not a bigger uptake , a new house costs x amount already so why not have them fitted as a matter of course the payment would be lost in the mortgage any way

My brother in law and 2 of his mates have a little business where they build and sell his houses. It’s small scale stuff, maybe 1 house a year but they make some decent coin. The amount of insulation that goes in to new houses is unreal, at least 6 inches in to external walls AND some kind of foil insulation. The heating is air source type thing and the heating costs are minimal, if they put solar on it’s even lower. Defo the way forward for new houses, air source is rubbish for older properties,

The problem with solar these days is you can’t feed the excess back in to the grid as the infrastructure isn’t good enough which simply isn’t good enough. Most houses should be able generate their own hot water through renewables.

Earlier this week there was talk of a big break through in solar efficiency, in reality it was only a few % but science is moving in the right direction, once they get it sorted properly we won’t look back.

Renewables are they way forward.
Login to get fewer ads

Energy Companies on 23:28 - Jul 14 with 700 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 22:51 - Jul 14 by majorraglan

My brother in law and 2 of his mates have a little business where they build and sell his houses. It’s small scale stuff, maybe 1 house a year but they make some decent coin. The amount of insulation that goes in to new houses is unreal, at least 6 inches in to external walls AND some kind of foil insulation. The heating is air source type thing and the heating costs are minimal, if they put solar on it’s even lower. Defo the way forward for new houses, air source is rubbish for older properties,

The problem with solar these days is you can’t feed the excess back in to the grid as the infrastructure isn’t good enough which simply isn’t good enough. Most houses should be able generate their own hot water through renewables.

Earlier this week there was talk of a big break through in solar efficiency, in reality it was only a few % but science is moving in the right direction, once they get it sorted properly we won’t look back.

Thing is with ASHP's and Ground Source Heat Pumps is that 75-90% of the house's heating needs to be underfloor heating to get the best value out of it and you need a dedicated boiler room/space inside for the Calorifier and heat exchanger and the mass of pipework and also an area for the ASHP/GSHP outside of course, so like you say a new build is perfect for that arrangement, they wont work to the level expected on older properties.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2023 23:29]

Energy Companies on 23:32 - Jul 14 with 698 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 19:56 - Jul 14 by SullutaCreturned

Depends on the land or more so the shape of that land and the amount of properties they want to build on that land, they same to cram as many houses as possible on any land they build on these day's .

Energy Companies on 11:37 - Jul 15 with 656 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not true I have batteries and once they are fully charged all my surplus electricity goes back into the Nation Grid. In June I exported 455kw into the national grid.

Energy Companies on 11:39 - Jul 15 with 655 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 23:32 - Jul 14 by max936

Depends on the land or more so the shape of that land and the amount of properties they want to build on that land, they same to cram as many houses as possible on any land they build on these day's .

Most house have a ridged roof at least one of the two sides of the roof is suitable for solar panels.

Energy Companies on 12:44 - Jul 15 with 649 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 11:39 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

Most house have a ridged roof at least one of the two sides of the roof is suitable for solar panels.

Oh rightio, I never knew that,

Solar panels can go onto any roof, but the point you missed is to get the best from them is that they need to be facing South.

Look it up!

Energy Companies on 12:50 - Jul 15 with 648 viewsA_Fans_Dad

It is sad that anyone still thinks that "Renewables are they way forward".
They destabalise the Grid, costing millions every year in balancing costs.
They need almost 100% backup by nuclear or FF generation.
They have half the generating life of nuclear and FF generators.
They require subsidies and carbon taxes on FF to make them economic.
They are more fragile and prone to damage in bad weather.
They are going to be an eco nightmare when they need replacing.
They are an environmental disaster for birds, bees and bats. Now it also looks like they are also a disaster for Whales as well.
It appears thta they may also increase the likelyhood of droughts due to evaporation.
It is not a coincedence that the countries with the highest penetration of renewables also have the highest Electricity costs.
They have already cost the world $3.5Trillion in investment to just manage 10% of world electricity generation. That is before any kind of electrification of transport or home heating.
Global Warming and Net zero are the biggest joke (and profit generator for the rich) ever played on mankind.
Energy Companies on 13:02 - Jul 15 with 644 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 11:39 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

Anyway what's ridged roofs got to do with it, they can put solar panels anywhere, how do you think they manage in fields

Energy Companies on 15:06 - Jul 15 with 632 viewsSullutaCreturned

Energy Companies on 23:32 - Jul 14 by max936

Well for houses to be properly sustainable the rules need to change. Stop cramming in as many houses as possible and make new rules about room sizes too because new builds are small boxes, a new build 3 bedroom is not suitable for a family of 4, one reasonable sized room then 2 tiny rooms, a small lounge with a small kitchen and just enough room for a small dining table but ti'll still cost you over 150k, a decent sized new build is over 300k.

Our Victorian 2 bed terraced has over twice the floor space of our previous home which was a new build 2 bed, and the garden is 5 times the size too. This Viccy terraced is by far a better house, the external walls are 18 inches thick and made of real stone too.

The whole system needs to change if we can move forward properly.
Energy Companies on 17:30 - Jul 15 with 610 viewsmajorraglan

Energy Companies on 11:37 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

Not true I have batteries and once they are fully charged all my surplus electricity goes back into the Nation Grid. In June I exported 455kw into the national grid.

Down here it’s true, National Grip / Western Power are now stopping people connecting their solar panels to the grid and developers can’t get their wind turbines connected. It’s crackers.
Energy Companies on 17:52 - Jul 15 with 594 viewsGwyn737

Energy Companies on 11:43 - Jul 14 by Boundy

Great post.

Only things I’d add along the same lines is we need to avoid the childlike argument about India/China emissions meaning anything we do is futile. We’ve moved our manufacturing over here so have no moral high ground.

The other point is it doesn’t really matter if you believe in man made climate change. The world is getting hotter so we might as well address it whatever the reasons.
Energy Companies on 19:29 - Jul 15 with 566 viewsBoundy

Energy Companies on 11:37 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

I think you'll find that's not the case in a lot of rural places. the lower voltage grid networks operating at 11or 33kv hasn't the infrastructure in place to support new generation such as connections to a new wind farm for example ,.

Energy Companies on 21:04 - Jul 15 with 558 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 15:06 - Jul 15 by SullutaCreturned

Well for houses to be properly sustainable the rules need to change. Stop cramming in as many houses as possible and make new rules about room sizes too because new builds are small boxes, a new build 3 bedroom is not suitable for a family of 4, one reasonable sized room then 2 tiny rooms, a small lounge with a small kitchen and just enough room for a small dining table but ti'll still cost you over 150k, a decent sized new build is over 300k.

Our Victorian 2 bed terraced has over twice the floor space of our previous home which was a new build 2 bed, and the garden is 5 times the size too. This Viccy terraced is by far a better house, the external walls are 18 inches thick and made of real stone too.

The whole system needs to change if we can move forward properly.

Well that's what I said the bits about cramming as many houses in a space as they could, didn't you read it or just the bits you wanted. Dear me Mun cat
[Post edited 15 Jul 2023 21:09]

Energy Companies on 07:49 - Jul 16 with 539 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 12:44 - Jul 15 by max936

Oh rightio, I never knew that,

Solar panels can go onto any roof, but the point you missed is to get the best from them is that they need to be facing South.

Look it up!

To get effective outputs from Solar the roof only needs to be in an Arc of 60 degrees west or east of due south. This is because the sun rises in the east and sets in the West . Look it up. This means that around 66% of houses are suitable for solar .

Energy Companies on 07:52 - Jul 16 with 537 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 13:02 - Jul 15 by max936

Anyway what's ridged roofs got to do with it, they can put solar panels anywhere, how do you think they manage in fields

The point was most houses are suitable for solar without any need to use farmland. As are most new commercial premises. Reservoirs are also suitable to site solar panels on.

Energy Companies on 07:57 - Jul 16 with 536 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 12:50 - Jul 15 by A_Fans_Dad

It is sad that anyone still thinks that "Renewables are they way forward".
They destabalise the Grid, costing millions every year in balancing costs.
They need almost 100% backup by nuclear or FF generation.
They have half the generating life of nuclear and FF generators.
They require subsidies and carbon taxes on FF to make them economic.
They are more fragile and prone to damage in bad weather.
They are going to be an eco nightmare when they need replacing.
They are an environmental disaster for birds, bees and bats. Now it also looks like they are also a disaster for Whales as well.
It appears thta they may also increase the likelyhood of droughts due to evaporation.
It is not a coincedence that the countries with the highest penetration of renewables also have the highest Electricity costs.
They have already cost the world $3.5Trillion in investment to just manage 10% of world electricity generation. That is before any kind of electrification of transport or home heating.
Global Warming and Net zero are the biggest joke (and profit generator for the rich) ever played on mankind.

Renewables provided nearly 75% of the UK electricity yesterday and the UK generated so much electricity yesterday that at one pint it was exporting 25% of it the Norway, Belgium, France snd Ireland.

Energy Companies on 08:00 - Jul 16 with 535 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Energy Companies on 17:30 - Jul 15 by majorraglan

Down here it’s true, National Grip / Western Power are now stopping people connecting their solar panels to the grid and developers can’t get their wind turbines connected. It’s crackers.

Probably more a reflection on the running of Western Power than anything else. Plus of course the Nimbies who don't want more investment in infrastructure for the national grid.

Energy Companies on 08:13 - Jul 16 with 525 viewsmax936

Energy Companies on 07:49 - Jul 16 by felixstowe_jack

To get effective outputs from Solar the roof only needs to be in an Arc of 60 degrees west or east of due south. This is because the sun rises in the east and sets in the West . Look it up. This means that around 66% of houses are suitable for solar .

I don't need to look anything up and I don't need any advice on roof pitches or the Sun either.
Solar panels can virtually go anywhere, even flat roofs, with the aid of these things called angled brackets, its all amazing stuff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024