Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Feels like 1930s 08:14 - Oct 13 with 1545 viewstrampie

I wasn't around in the 1930s but a lot has been written about that time period and this feels like it now, poverty, populist, nationalist governments in Europe, USA and across large parts of the World, imperialist powers oppressing people.
Dangerous times.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Feels like 1930s on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 1497 viewsWhiterockin

I was born in the early 1950s not long after the 2nd world war and nobody knew if there was another war just around the corner. Every Monday morning there was an air raid siren test to make sure everything was working "just in case". Air raid shelters were everywhere including all schools, venture onto the hills around Swansea and Mumbles and there were bunkers and the concrete footing for anti aircraft missiles. There was always a sense of fear although as children most of it went over our heads, but we still played war with toy guns and airfix soldiers. I won't go into the poverty and massive rebuilding of Swansea and surrounding areas. You don't have to go back to the 30s and although not many of us lived through the 2nd world war we remember the scars and how it shaped our early years.
Feels like 1930s on 21:18 - Oct 13 with 1355 viewsswan65split

Feels like 1930s on 10:12 - Oct 13 by Whiterockin

I was born in the early 1950s not long after the 2nd world war and nobody knew if there was another war just around the corner. Every Monday morning there was an air raid siren test to make sure everything was working "just in case". Air raid shelters were everywhere including all schools, venture onto the hills around Swansea and Mumbles and there were bunkers and the concrete footing for anti aircraft missiles. There was always a sense of fear although as children most of it went over our heads, but we still played war with toy guns and airfix soldiers. I won't go into the poverty and massive rebuilding of Swansea and surrounding areas. You don't have to go back to the 30s and although not many of us lived through the 2nd world war we remember the scars and how it shaped our early years.

Good piece and true, even aged about 10-12 we had the fear of the bomb, with plenty of fighters and Vulcans in our skies at a regular periods,
Feels like 1930s on 12:58 - Oct 14 with 1273 viewsonehunglow

Feels like 1930s on 21:18 - Oct 13 by swan65split

Good piece and true, even aged about 10-12 we had the fear of the bomb, with plenty of fighters and Vulcans in our skies at a regular periods,

In Brynhyfryd school were two air aid shelters and Mnselton too I think .
In 1962 ,I’d just started in Bishop Gore and remember coming home for lunch ( posh see) and asking mum if we were going to be obliterated in a nuclear war because JFK would have pressed the button over Cuba.
Pitiful drivel again from the Tramp.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Feels like 1930s on 19:13 - Oct 14 with 1222 viewsSullutaCreturned

Feels like 1930s on 10:12 - Oct 13 by Whiterockin

Growing up in Mumbles in the 60's and 70's we had an air raid siren at the end of our garden though it was never sounded by then.
We used to play in the bunkers on Mumbles hill and the AA artillery placments were still there, I think it has all been filled in with concrete now though, haven't been up there for many a year.

I'm not sure we can compare poverty today with the poverty of the 30's though. Back then they had no fridges or freezers and they didn't waste food like we do today. Even back in the 70's in our house we had a pantry and what wasnt eaten the day of cooking was used the next day, don't eat what you were given and you'd go without. Not much of that going on today in my experience.

These imperialist powers, who specifically? Not very many imperial powers left around today.
Feels like 1930s on 19:22 - Oct 14 with 1217 viewsoldtownjack

Feels like 1930s on 12:58 - Oct 14 by onehunglow

In Brynhyfryd school were two air aid shelters and Mnselton too I think .
In 1962 ,I’d just started in Bishop Gore and remember coming home for lunch ( posh see) and asking mum if we were going to be obliterated in a nuclear war because JFK would have pressed the button over Cuba.
Pitiful drivel again from the Tramp.

Why not just respond and leave the personal abuse alone? Your argument should be enough for others to decide if it's pitiful drivel or not. You would be the first to moan if others said that about you. The biggest hypocrites complain about people being hypocritical.

Feels like 1930s on 19:28 - Oct 14 with 1203 viewsonehunglow

Feels like 1930s on 19:22 - Oct 14 by oldtownjack

Why not just respond and leave the personal abuse alone? Your argument should be enough for others to decide if it's pitiful drivel or not. You would be the first to moan if others said that about you. The biggest hypocrites complain about people being hypocritical.

Hello.

Feels like 1930s on 10:03 - Oct 15 with 1111 viewstrampie

Feels like 1930s on 19:22 - Oct 14 by oldtownjack

Yes unfortunately there is too much personal abuse on here.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Feels like 1930s on 10:11 - Oct 15 with 1089 viewsWhiterockin

Feels like 1930s on 10:03 - Oct 15 by trampie

Yes unfortunately there is too much personal abuse on here.

Are you really saying that after what you just posted about OHL on the rugby thread.
Login to get fewer ads

Feels like 1930s on 10:19 - Oct 15 with 1068 viewsonehunglow

Feels like 1930s on 10:11 - Oct 15 by Whiterockin

Are you really saying that after what you just posted about OHL on the rugby thread.

What he say. I’m gonna look

Feels like 1930s on 10:27 - Oct 15 with 1050 viewstrampie

Haven't you heard of retaliation, tit for tat, haven't you seen the news recently, Newton's Third Law - for every action (force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Feels like 1930s on 10:32 - Oct 15 with 1034 viewsonehunglow

He’s only articulating what many feel.
Sad but true.
He is typical of the people that cause welsh people to look like narrow minded ,language fascist jerks .
I fully understand now how my late mum hated Welsh. Probably my old man helped though

Feels like 1930s on 10:34 - Oct 15 with 1027 viewstrampie

Feels like 1930s on 10:32 - Oct 15 by onehunglow

He’s only articulating what many feel.
Sad but true.
He is typical of the people that cause welsh people to look like narrow minded ,language fascist jerks .
I fully understand now how my late mum hated Welsh. Probably my old man helped though

We understand why you hate Welsh people you learnt it off your family, what a way to be brought up, dragged up more like

Feels like 1930s on 18:53 - Oct 15 with 943 viewsglanmORJa_k

Absolutely very little comparison can be made with the present day and the 1930's. Families from the valleys moved to the likes of Slough and Luton in search of a job and were treated like shit by the locals. Can poverty in today's world be compared to the 30's, not really. Benefits abound in today's world while hand me down clothes were treated as Xmas presents when kids were fortunate.
The fact of the matter is that the majority of people were in the same boat and the one vital aspect of todays' life - a lack of respect, was something that proud, poor Welsh families were respected for.
Just imagine if our parents, grandparents were alive today I wonder what their thoughts would be regarding the inability of so many to be able, let alone cook a meal, and pay for somebody to deliver a meal to one's door.
Feels like 1930s on 19:10 - Oct 15 with 927 viewsonehunglow

Feels like 1930s on 10:34 - Oct 15 by trampie

We understand why you hate Welsh people you learnt it off your family, what a way to be brought up, dragged up more like

Who the fool are " we"
You and your poisonous chums !
Pitiful

Feels like 1930s on 19:19 - Oct 15 with 909 viewstrampie

Feels like 1930s on 19:10 - Oct 15 by onehunglow

Who the fool are " we"
You and your poisonous chums !
Pitiful

It's a royal we, my chums are poisonous are they, think you better look in the mirror.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024