Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The definition of success: expectations for Marti 07:52 - Oct 31 with 7144 viewsTonto

From what I've read the appointment of Marti seems quite progressive and interesting. But also comes with risk. But having tried to tread water with the last 3 appointments and mostly failed it is sh.t or bust time.

But the crux of the question to me is what will we the fans (and by extention the board) accept as reasonable for the ret of the season?

We are a club which is drowning. As Clive has pointed out regularly there are significant issues. There is a danger that the née manager just becomes yet another sticking plaster on a limb which needs amputation so the rest of the body can survive.

So what should we REASONABLY expect for the rest of the season from Marti?

If we get relegated is it the tin tack/P45s all round or does he get longer? Is it about progression rather than results (as long as they aren't terrible). Or is anything less than staying I the championship unacceptable?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 13:40 - Oct 31 with 1921 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 13:32 - Oct 31 by lassel

I don’t see the situation being as dire as some do.

For me it’s likely 3 from 5 - Sheff Wed, Rotherham, QPR, Plymouth, Huddersfield. Potentially Coventry also but I suspect the new guys they are bedding in will click before too long.

Of the other 4 clubs I see us competing with, I honestly think we have the best team of the lot, or at least the best First XI and I think the youngsters have a far better chance of filling in with Marti than any of the previous managers.

If we get a run with few injuries - lol I know - the brain dead suspensions end and perhaps we supplement with a couple of freebies from Marti’s black book, I really think we will end up fine.

If the worst happens, he has to be given the chance to rip it up and start again next season in L1 .

Great post here and its going to be very interesting watching his first interview . If he specializes in bringing young talent through then he nust have a bunch of them in his contacts .How many would jump at the chance to play in England and further their careers I am guessing everyone .
Imagine some young hungry talent playing at LF instead of the wan*kers who have let 3 managers down that would be a massive sea change in itself .
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 14:32 - Oct 31 with 1802 viewsdmm

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 10:09 - Oct 31 by GaryBannister86

Everyone keeps saying we need playoff form to stay up, but is that right?

There are 32 games left and if you say 50 is the magic number (may well not be with FFP etc, 45 would have done last year) and we have 8 so far....

So 42 points from 32 games? Last year 69 points or 1.5 points per game exactly got 6th place for Sunderland.

42/32 = 1.3 points per game. That = 59 points over full season, which last year would have been Bristol City, in 14th.

I know 1.3 points per game right now seems optimistic, but it is still only lower mid-table form. And that's to get to 50 which will probably be comfortably enough.

I think!!

The average needed over the last 12 seasons for a 21st place finish is 47 points. The last time a team needed 50 or more points was in 2016/17.

I very much agree with you that finishing 21st or higher is eminently doable as long as injuries don't (literally) hamstring us.
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 15:17 - Oct 31 with 1736 viewsGroveR

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 12:01 - Oct 31 by QPRConor2000

He tends to favour possession based football, which is clearly a recognition from the owners that the direct style of play wasn't working.

I think the fact that most of Scandinavia play a March to September/October season does mean we could have the potential to sign some hidden gems from that part of the world, be interesting to see how he approaches January with this team.

Ether way, there will be a major rebuild in the summer.

If be surprised if these owners recognised a football, never mind a style of play.
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 15:37 - Oct 31 with 1715 viewsw7r

Stay up this season.
Would also like to see a team building exercise of Flamenco 💃 dancing with the melts that haven’t pulled their weight this season getting to dress up as hot senoritas, complete with very red lippy and lash extensions.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 15:39]
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 16:23 - Oct 31 with 1642 viewskensalriser

At an absolute minimum I expect us to be playing better football almost immediately. This gives us at least a fighting chance of staying up, which we didn't have under Ainsworth. Close relegation wouldn't necessarily be a failure from here, failure would be no improvement.

At least we have a chance now. But if he doesn't get results on the board quickly it's going to get very tiresome hearing people ranting about Warnock.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 16:29 - Oct 31 with 1620 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 13:37 - Oct 31 by PunteR

You don't really mean that do you?
We could have just kept Ainsworth on then.
I know you have been pretty consistent with this opinion and I used to feel the same but if Marti is rubbish, loses the dressing room or courts other clubs then you don't keep him on do you?

Stability goes way more than the manager staying in his job. Going down isn't Stability is it?
Unless you mean a team, a squad , coaching staff all on the same page playing decent competitive football . Everyone knowing their individual jobs and enjoy playing for the badge and fans enjoying watching games than that's stability and success in my eyes.
The overall success story should be promotion. Winning something.

I hope Marti brings back high standards within the club again. Get some professional pride back.
So fed up of being a joke club.
If we go down we have failed. These players were top of the table this time last year.

I obviously don’t want it to happen but it’s not the end of the world disaster people think it is.

Luton, Ipswich, and Brentford (to name just three examples) have all been in League One or League Two since we came down from the Premiership.

It doesn’t have to be turbulent it can be a forced opportunity. The only thing we haven’t tried, with maybe the exception of Warburton is a prolonged time in office.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 16:53]
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 16:29 - Oct 31 with 1620 viewslondonscottish

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 08:47 - Oct 31 by ngbqpr

I want to look forward to going to matches again.

That doesn't have to mean winning every week, or even staying up. If each game has some football that makes you purr, and week by week those moments increase, that'll do me for now.

Much to my surprise, when Rangers let the handbrake off against Leicester they looked genuinely threatening for much of the game.

Glad I went now. More of that would be good.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 16:49 - Oct 31 with 1544 viewsBedford_R

I'd expect us to play a brand of passing possession football (or at least try) and maybe score a few more goals. And win at home at some point. Other than that I couldn't possibly tell what the heck is going to happen between now and May next year.

RMH_R Reborn

Login to get fewer ads

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 17:40 - Oct 31 with 1494 viewsHooping_Mad

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 13:37 - Oct 31 by PunteR

You don't really mean that do you?
We could have just kept Ainsworth on then.
I know you have been pretty consistent with this opinion and I used to feel the same but if Marti is rubbish, loses the dressing room or courts other clubs then you don't keep him on do you?

Stability goes way more than the manager staying in his job. Going down isn't Stability is it?
Unless you mean a team, a squad , coaching staff all on the same page playing decent competitive football . Everyone knowing their individual jobs and enjoy playing for the badge and fans enjoying watching games than that's stability and success in my eyes.
The overall success story should be promotion. Winning something.

I hope Marti brings back high standards within the club again. Get some professional pride back.
So fed up of being a joke club.
If we go down we have failed. These players were top of the table this time last year.

I'd never advocate for a relegation but we cannot back/protect this group of players any longer. If it's manager or players I think we do have to make the correct choice this time.

Expect anyone who's been here for a year or more to be ejected asap. Including Illy and Willy I'm afraid.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 17:59 - Oct 31 with 1456 viewsRangersw12

With Ainsworth there was no future due to his awful medieval type of football

I think relegation is almost a certainty due to what we did in the summer so the rest of the season is a free pass from me
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 19:29 - Oct 31 with 1397 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 16:29 - Oct 31 by londonscottish

Much to my surprise, when Rangers let the handbrake off against Leicester they looked genuinely threatening for much of the game.

Glad I went now. More of that would be good.

That makes it more frustrating and maddening really londonscottish that QPR with a severly understrength 11 put it up to the Champions elect .
Where was that level of drive and commitement for the last 2 months when the fcuking train rain off the tracks into the grand canyon .
We HAVE to get a win Saturday then it will calm everything down and we can see how the new man is going about his business .
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 19:40 - Oct 31 with 1355 viewsNed_Kennedys

Success is staying up this season, full stop.
If we get relegated he will have failed.
Whether he stayed if this happened would depend on a number of factors of course.
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 20:12 - Oct 31 with 1325 viewsstevenagehoop

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 15:17 - Oct 31 by GroveR

If be surprised if these owners recognised a football, never mind a style of play.

You haven’t changed then Tom😜

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 20:45 - Oct 31 with 1271 viewsVancouverHoop

Cifuentes has, by all accounts, been following our games closely during Ainsworth's reign. So he's not going to be walking through the door unprepared. It'll be very interesting to see his team selection on Saturday, especially given the suspensions and injuries.

I also think his first home game against Bristol next week is significant. They aren't doing particularly well. A long awaited win could be pivotal for the manager, the players and the fans.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 20:49]
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 21:55 - Oct 31 with 1187 viewsManinBlack

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 10:09 - Oct 31 by GaryBannister86

Everyone keeps saying we need playoff form to stay up, but is that right?

There are 32 games left and if you say 50 is the magic number (may well not be with FFP etc, 45 would have done last year) and we have 8 so far....

So 42 points from 32 games? Last year 69 points or 1.5 points per game exactly got 6th place for Sunderland.

42/32 = 1.3 points per game. That = 59 points over full season, which last year would have been Bristol City, in 14th.

I know 1.3 points per game right now seems optimistic, but it is still only lower mid-table form. And that's to get to 50 which will probably be comfortably enough.

I think!!

The major obstacle to all this is our pathetic home form. Right now if we continue in the vain of the past year, we will only win a couple of home games. There is no way we will win a mass of away games to get the necessary points. It is a big ask for a new manager new to this country to suddenly get these losers to rack up about 10 home wins to give us another 30 points to have a realistic chance of staying up. Can anyone really see us winning 10 at home this season?
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 22:03 - Oct 31 with 1178 viewsWatford_Ranger

I just hope people don’t expect a sudden run of great results. He’s still got to go to Rotherham with god knows what midfield, a crap defence and strikers who rarely score. I’m not sure we have the squad for much progressive football so he’ll have to find some sort of balance with what he’s got and that will need time which he/we don’t have.
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 22:52 - Oct 31 with 1123 viewsQPROslo

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 08:18 - Oct 31 by GaryBannister86

I tend to agree Dave.

Problem is, it is so easy to say now that if we get relegated we need to keep supporting him and keep him in place. Problem is, it will mean we are still losing and we all get restless.

However, if he can get us playing football again, we can see a discernible plan and we do pick up some results - then I think the minimum we can expect on top of that is that we at least pick up enough points to give us half a chance.

It would be nice to see some ballsy decisions, too. Get rid of Begovic will do me for a start. Make Cook captain.

I reckon a fully fit Cook for the rest of the season will make a huge difference.

"Get rid of Begovic"? Really? He'd made the most saves in the Championship not so long ago and our GD would be a lot worse without them. The back-up Keepers we have don't look good or ready. I'd agree Seny has better distribution, perhaps not so good at stopping shots and doubt we can afford to buy him back, or find a better Keeper without paying money we probably don't have.

Definition of success this season? Keep us in the Championship.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 23:02]
The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 05:21 - Nov 1 with 1007 viewsQPunkR

I think everyone needs to calm down creaming themselves over these previously unheard of Swedish youngsters he could potentially bring over - remember we still haven't got a pot to pi$$ in

QPR - "shit but local"

The definition of success: expectations for Marti on 07:45 - Nov 1 with 918 viewsChrisNW6

Winning 15points from the next 11 games before the New Year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024