Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 2024 17:49 - Dec 2 with 9703 viewsJuzzie

England in Group C along with;

Slovenia
Denmark
Serbia

Scotland in a tough group;

Germany
Hungary
Switzerland

Euro 2024 on 17:53 - Dec 2 with 6814 viewsNorthernr

Looking forward to storming out of that with two draws and a spawny late 2-1 victory against Slovenia.
Euro 2024 on 18:03 - Dec 2 with 6770 viewsWatford_Ranger

Nice soft group for England.

Not the worst draw for Scotland either. Not a vintage Germany even if they’re at home, Switzerland were lucky to qualify and Hungary are a good side but not unbeatable.

Spain’s group is a bit tasty.
Euro 2024 on 18:29 - Dec 2 with 6690 viewsNed_Kennedys

Euro 2024 on 17:53 - Dec 2 by Northernr

Looking forward to storming out of that with two draws and a spawny late 2-1 victory against Slovenia.

Three convincing wins followed by a plucky safety first knockout round defeat to a team at a similar level to ours.
Euro 2024 on 18:34 - Dec 2 with 6665 viewsJuzzie

Defence is still a weak point for England so let’s just go for it. We have the best attacking midfield and strikers at our disposal that I’ve seen in 40 odds years so attack can be the best form of two lines of defence. Don’t be afraid to just go balls-out attack.
Euro 2024 on 18:37 - Dec 2 with 6659 viewsOldPedro

Euro 2024 on 18:34 - Dec 2 by Juzzie

Defence is still a weak point for England so let’s just go for it. We have the best attacking midfield and strikers at our disposal that I’ve seen in 40 odds years so attack can be the best form of two lines of defence. Don’t be afraid to just go balls-out attack.

But that's not going to happen with Southgate as manager

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Euro 2024 on 18:56 - Dec 2 with 6588 viewshantssi

Euro 2024 on 18:37 - Dec 2 by OldPedro

But that's not going to happen with Southgate as manager

👍🏻
Euro 2024 on 18:58 - Dec 2 with 6580 viewsNorthernr

I mean, doesn't have to be a weak point, could just pick our better defenders.
Euro 2024 on 19:04 - Dec 2 with 6551 viewstraininvain

All out attack rarely works in international football. There’s a reason most major tournaments are won by teams who are defensively solid and good at controlling games in midfield.

The main reason being the limited time international teams play together, it’s much easier to set them up to defend and control games first and foremost as opposed to all out attack destroying other teams.

Even club football is going through a similar phase. Look at Man City’s defensive options and the way they try to control games ahead of encouraging creativity in attack. It’s all about controlling games and grinding other teams down.
Login to get fewer ads

Euro 2024 on 19:06 - Dec 2 with 6544 viewsdanehoop

Not sure that any of the teams in England's group will be easy. Genuinely torn on this as I have lived in both Denmark and Slovenia and seen both sides quite a few times (both were joint top of their group) and they are both playing well at the moment. Serbia are also always a tough side. Southgate will need his team to be playing at their best and not take any game lightly as each of them will fancy their chances against England.

Never knowingly understood

Euro 2024 on 19:25 - Dec 2 with 6479 viewsSteveB

Look, we all know what will happen. We will piss through the group unbeaten, storm through the knockouts, Face France in the final and shit it. Plucky England, did well - Gareth steps down & becomes a no mark league manager and will eventually disappear up his own arse into obscurity.

Scotland? Who gives a flying fcuk. They really couldn't care about us.
Euro 2024 on 22:49 - Dec 2 with 6265 viewsdaveB

finishing 2nd means we avoid the French until the final, win it and probably France in the semi final

Reasonable group for England though, won't be easy but have avoided the big hitters
[Post edited 2 Dec 2023 22:50]
Euro 2024 on 22:57 - Dec 2 with 6234 viewsdaveB

Euro 2024 on 19:25 - Dec 2 by SteveB

Look, we all know what will happen. We will piss through the group unbeaten, storm through the knockouts, Face France in the final and shit it. Plucky England, did well - Gareth steps down & becomes a no mark league manager and will eventually disappear up his own arse into obscurity.

Scotland? Who gives a flying fcuk. They really couldn't care about us.

If he gets England to a second final and we lose to a very good France team not sure he'd disappear into obscurity, he'd go down as one of our best ever managers
Euro 2024 on 23:12 - Dec 2 with 6202 viewsBostonR

We have the wrong manager for that approach. Showed his defensive preference in the Euro final against an ageing Italian team. After going 1-0 up we should have shredded Italy but he was too cautious.
Euro 2024 on 23:53 - Dec 2 with 6149 viewsNed_Kennedys

Euro 2024 on 22:57 - Dec 2 by daveB

If he gets England to a second final and we lose to a very good France team not sure he'd disappear into obscurity, he'd go down as one of our best ever managers

He is and will forever be miles behind the likes of Ramsey, Robson and Venables however you spin it.

Bang average manager who landed on his feet with a number of world class players at his disposal: the ‘demand’ for his services after he at last leaves his role will show how he is regarded in the football world.
Euro 2024 on 00:05 - Dec 3 with 6133 viewskensalriser

The negativity about England is extraordinary when you consider the last few years have seen the best results in the last 50.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Euro 2024 on 04:44 - Dec 3 with 6058 viewsloftupper

Euro 2024 on 23:53 - Dec 2 by Ned_Kennedys

He is and will forever be miles behind the likes of Ramsey, Robson and Venables however you spin it.

Bang average manager who landed on his feet with a number of world class players at his disposal: the ‘demand’ for his services after he at last leaves his role will show how he is regarded in the football world.

I agree with that to a certain extent. Hoping that there will be a generation of coaches and managers following the players being produced now.

Worrying thing is though that there does appear to be a section of the English support that prefers the kick and rush regressive style that won England zero trophys in 50 years
Euro 2024 on 04:49 - Dec 3 with 6053 viewsMatch82

Euro 2024 on 23:53 - Dec 2 by Ned_Kennedys

If he wins the euros he'll have earned the right to be thought of as one of our best ever managers. Big IF though.
Euro 2024 on 08:01 - Dec 3 with 5938 viewsPaddyhoops

probably best if wales don’t qualify. Murder of a draw that .
Good luck to England. You won’t need much in the group stages.
Euro 2024 on 08:14 - Dec 3 with 5911 viewsstevec

So in four of the six groups, three teams out of four will go through to the last 16!

Revise my original option, wake me up at the knock out stage.
Euro 2024 on 08:20 - Dec 3 with 5907 viewstraininvain

Euro 2024 on 00:05 - Dec 3 by kensalriser

The negativity about England is extraordinary when you consider the last few years have seen the best results in the last 50.

It’s all a bit bizarre. Best record of any England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey and following in the footsteps of the likes of Hodgson, Capello and Sven who arguably had better options at their disposal (see 2004/2006 squads).

It’s been a massive improvement over the past few years and given us some of the happiest memories watching England. We’ve come closer to winning tournaments than any other time I’ve been alive.

But anyone would think we had decades of success before Southgate came along and underachieved by regularly getting us to the latter stages of tournaments with world class talents such as Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Jesse Lingard, Danny Rose and Mason Mount.

I count three genuine world class players in the England squad; Kane, Walker and Bellingham who only joined that group over the last six months or so. A few knocking on the door (Foden, Rice, Stones etc) but not exactly blessed with options in defence which is our Achilles heel.

France have a better squad imo (and the bookmakers) and we’re similar in quality to Portugal and Spain but some fans seem to think we have a divine right to win every tournament.

Nevertheless, we have a great chance at Euro 2024 with the squad looking stronger than the last couple of tournaments and most of them now have big tournament experience which will prove helpful.

It’s a shame to see so much negativity before a ball has even been kicked, we should be getting behind this team and looking forward to it all. I know I will be anyway.
Euro 2024 on 09:04 - Dec 3 with 5850 viewsGaryBannister86

Euro 2024 on 08:20 - Dec 3 by traininvain

It’s all a bit bizarre. Best record of any England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey and following in the footsteps of the likes of Hodgson, Capello and Sven who arguably had better options at their disposal (see 2004/2006 squads).

It’s been a massive improvement over the past few years and given us some of the happiest memories watching England. We’ve come closer to winning tournaments than any other time I’ve been alive.

But anyone would think we had decades of success before Southgate came along and underachieved by regularly getting us to the latter stages of tournaments with world class talents such as Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Jesse Lingard, Danny Rose and Mason Mount.

I count three genuine world class players in the England squad; Kane, Walker and Bellingham who only joined that group over the last six months or so. A few knocking on the door (Foden, Rice, Stones etc) but not exactly blessed with options in defence which is our Achilles heel.

France have a better squad imo (and the bookmakers) and we’re similar in quality to Portugal and Spain but some fans seem to think we have a divine right to win every tournament.

Nevertheless, we have a great chance at Euro 2024 with the squad looking stronger than the last couple of tournaments and most of them now have big tournament experience which will prove helpful.

It’s a shame to see so much negativity before a ball has even been kicked, we should be getting behind this team and looking forward to it all. I know I will be anyway.

Spot on, the job Southgate has done has been incredible and he has delivered with results.

You can't mark against him for being "lucky" to have great players or lucky draws or whatever - what drivel. If he hadn't come along half those players wouldn't have even wanted or be bothered to play for England. His work in getting the players into it rather the fearing it has been magnificent.

To say he is miles behind Ramsey, Venables and Robson is a joke. Ramsey, yes, cos he won a world cup. Robson, if you take the approach you criticise Southgate for, was absolute rubbish for most of his reign, had the "luck" of Gazza and Lineker and Waddle etc, and even in Italia 90 we were awful against N Ireland, Egypt, even Cameroon.

El Tel, as much as I loved him, you can do the same. Rubbish / lucky against Scotland, average in first two games needed penalty shootout against Spain etc.

Why pick holes in a man who has got England to the latter stages of major tournaments? Ridiculous and so typical of England football fans. It will be alright when he dies though, suddenly everyone will bang on about how amazing he was.
Euro 2024 on 09:05 - Dec 3 with 5847 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euro 2024 on 00:05 - Dec 3 by kensalriser

It’s only a certain demographic to be fair. I think the media are to blame personally.

Statistics back him up all the way. 3rd best manager by win % (second if you take out Alladyce), most semis or better in history, and only manager to get to a final in colour TV.

Hate the man, his selections, or the style of football, fine. But you can’t say he’s not successful which is what the same people who hate him tell us is the most important thing when it comes to every other manager they don’t like.

Edit: sorry I see others have said the same thing before I refreshed the forum.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 9:24]
Euro 2024 on 09:36 - Dec 3 with 5757 viewsWatford_Ranger

Euro 2024 on 09:05 - Dec 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s only a certain demographic to be fair. I think the media are to blame personally.

Statistics back him up all the way. 3rd best manager by win % (second if you take out Alladyce), most semis or better in history, and only manager to get to a final in colour TV.

Hate the man, his selections, or the style of football, fine. But you can’t say he’s not successful which is what the same people who hate him tell us is the most important thing when it comes to every other manager they don’t like.

Edit: sorry I see others have said the same thing before I refreshed the forum.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 9:24]

I’m too young for 1990 and even 96 I didn’t really get it. 98 was my first real tournament. I think he deserves flak for not getting past Croatia or Italy in the circumstances. To lose that final with effectively a 1-0 headstart at home was really poor with the players on each side and we had a pretty soft run to the final.

Second is just first loser and all that.
Euro 2024 on 09:46 - Dec 3 with 5740 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euro 2024 on 09:36 - Dec 3 by Watford_Ranger

I’m too young for 1990 and even 96 I didn’t really get it. 98 was my first real tournament. I think he deserves flak for not getting past Croatia or Italy in the circumstances. To lose that final with effectively a 1-0 headstart at home was really poor with the players on each side and we had a pretty soft run to the final.

Second is just first loser and all that.

These are defining moments that all England managers go through, even our popular ones. Robson and Venables, now beatified, had horrendous results that had a major impact on tournaments.

Now they are plucky managers who had their tournaments stolen by the Germans. Truth is, they are far behind Southgate in terms of win % and final place finishes.

Didn’t Robson lose every game at Euro 88?
Euro 2024 on 10:04 - Dec 3 with 5700 viewspaulparker

Euro 2024 on 09:04 - Dec 3 by GaryBannister86

Spot on, the job Southgate has done has been incredible and he has delivered with results.

You can't mark against him for being "lucky" to have great players or lucky draws or whatever - what drivel. If he hadn't come along half those players wouldn't have even wanted or be bothered to play for England. His work in getting the players into it rather the fearing it has been magnificent.

To say he is miles behind Ramsey, Venables and Robson is a joke. Ramsey, yes, cos he won a world cup. Robson, if you take the approach you criticise Southgate for, was absolute rubbish for most of his reign, had the "luck" of Gazza and Lineker and Waddle etc, and even in Italia 90 we were awful against N Ireland, Egypt, even Cameroon.

El Tel, as much as I loved him, you can do the same. Rubbish / lucky against Scotland, average in first two games needed penalty shootout against Spain etc.

Why pick holes in a man who has got England to the latter stages of major tournaments? Ridiculous and so typical of England football fans. It will be alright when he dies though, suddenly everyone will bang on about how amazing he was.

So Venables was lucky and Southgate hasn’t been ??
Southgate had the draw of a lifetime in 2018 and blew it with that 2nd half against Croatia
The team wasn’t in his words believing in themselves against France
And he lost to a very pedestrian Italy in the final of Euro 2020
He has had his chances but his lack of management gameplan has cost us when it matters
The great managers get over the line when it comes to the crunch and Southgate isn’t a great manager
This is his last chance with England in a tournament maybe he will go all guns blazing or he will play it safe with Kalvin phillips and Henderson clogging up the midfield, I know what my money is on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024