Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) 21:52 - Dec 14 with 10596 viewsonehunglow

Come on it’s Christmas …
1. Louis
2.Ali
3.Marciano
4.Lennox Lewis
5.Jack Johnson
6 Dempsey
7.Larry Holmes
8.Mike Tyson
9.Joe Frazier
10. Evander Holyfield
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 21:54]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 14:37 - Dec 15 with 5811 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 14:51 - Dec 15 with 5804 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 14:37 - Dec 15 by SullutaCreturned

Very pretty now give us your top ten.
It’s tough keeping the interest on this site y know.
I’m trying to keep it bouncy k

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:01 - Dec 15 with 5797 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 14:51 - Dec 15 by onehunglow

Very pretty now give us your top ten.
It’s tough keeping the interest on this site y know.
I’m trying to keep it bouncy k

Bouncy enough?
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:03 - Dec 15 with 5795 viewsSullutaCreturned

I'm sorry, but I don't have a top ten, a G.O.A.T or very much interest in boxing.

Besides always watching Calzaghe and preferring the middleweights generally speaking, they were more entertaining usually, I don't watch much boxing. Though I have been watching Muay Thai recently.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:13 - Dec 15 with 5788 viewsTogg

Ali when he was Cassius Clay no 1.
The early Mike Tyson was something and could and maybe should have been top 3. If he would have stayed away from Don King. When he got released from prison he was still a dangerous fighter but not as good. Lennox Lewis said when he fought him he thought Tyson hadn't improved, in fact he thought he had got worse. Excellent top 10 fair play.
Favorite middleish weight Sugar Ray Leonard. Haggler, Hearns Duran fantastic too..
Great era!
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 15 with 5781 viewsKilkennyjack

1. Ali
2. Mike Tyson

3. Joe Frazier
4. Tyson Fury
5. Holyfield
6. Foreman
7. Lennox
8. Joe Louis

9. Rocky. Marciano
10.Dempsey
11. Wladimir Klitschko

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:51 - Dec 15 with 5763 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

1. Ali
2. Mike Tyson

3. Joe Frazier
4. Tyson Fury
5. Holyfield
6. Foreman
7. Lennox
8. Joe Louis

9. Rocky. Marciano
10.Dempsey
11. Wladimir Klitschko

Interesting
Personally Fury would be nowhere near that list
All would smash him , in their prime

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 17:27 - Dec 15 with 5757 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:51 - Dec 15 by onehunglow

Interesting

Have to agree
Login to get fewer ads

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 17:32 - Dec 15 with 5753 viewsAnotherJohn

Digressing to mention possible Swansea connections, did anybody ever hear a tale about Rocky Marciano, when in the US army, flooring another service man in the Queen's Hotel? It could be an urban myth but I heard this story from a couple of people back in the day. Rough old pub even when I first went there many years later.

From Wiki.

In March 1943, Marciano was drafted into the United States Army for a term of two years. Stationed in Swansea, Wales, he helped ferry supplies across the English Channel to Normandy. After the war ended, he completed his service in March 1946 at Fort Lewis, Washington.[12]
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:03 - Dec 15 with 5721 viewstrampie

They reckon that Marciano fought a lot of bums and the few World title fights he had some opponents were passed their best, Marciano fought Dr Jack Welsh rugby legend, Dr Jack just helping out his side not a serious amateur boxer like Marciano and the story is Dr Jack schooled Marciano, because it was American servicemen against our boys in St Athan any fight that was not stopped was given as a draw due to us being allies in the war, Marciano escaped with a draw.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 18:04]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:09 - Dec 15 with 5707 viewstrampie

Dr Jack was only told in the corner just before the fight that his opponent Marciano has knocked out the last 6 boxers he had faced, Matthews said he won't be knocking out the last 7 then.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:12 - Dec 15 with 5718 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 17:32 - Dec 15 by AnotherJohn

Digressing to mention possible Swansea connections, did anybody ever hear a tale about Rocky Marciano, when in the US army, flooring another service man in the Queen's Hotel? It could be an urban myth but I heard this story from a couple of people back in the day. Rough old pub even when I first went there many years later.

From Wiki.

In March 1943, Marciano was drafted into the United States Army for a term of two years. Stationed in Swansea, Wales, he helped ferry supplies across the English Channel to Normandy. After the war ended, he completed his service in March 1946 at Fort Lewis, Washington.[12]

Heard it was Wind Street?
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:21 - Dec 15 with 5679 viewstrampie

Dr Jack Matthews was said to be "a cross between a bulldozer and a brick wall”, surely he must have been a middleweight, Marciano was a small heavyweight and perhaps at that stage Marciano was not a heavyweight but you would have thought that Dr Jack would have been giving weight away to him.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:28 - Dec 15 with 5689 viewsAnotherJohn

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:12 - Dec 15 by Togg

Heard it was Wind Street?

Perhaps others know. There could have been different versions of the story, or more than one brawl.

P.S. According to this account it was Wind St.

https://sites.google.com/site/usmilitaryinsouthwales/rocky-marciano-an-american-

And this version says it happened in the Adelphi:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/swansea-pub-a-knockout-2479349

And yet another version from Summers that mentions a couple of brawls. One in a Wind Street "bodega grill" and one in a Miners' Club. An interesting angle is that the boxing gym was run by a Jim Wilde, not the more famous Jimmy Wilde. Scroll down to second version in this link.

http://www.john-summers.net/marciano.html
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 19:05]
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:32 - Dec 15 with 5678 viewshowenjack

The Pub was the Adelphi in Wind street not the Queens .He knocked out an Aussie serviceman who was belittling him for drinking milk . He was sentenced to train in wilde's gym in the high street to keep him out of trouble - he liked it so much that he carried on back in the states after the War . One of the hardest trainers pre fight . He would train for 8 months prior to a fight run 13 miles a day in army boots and used a 300 pound heavy bag.
Retired undefeated and didn't fight bums as some have suggested eg Jersey Joe Walcott .
Got to be up there as one of the hardest punchers in boxing history.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:33 - Dec 15 with 5676 viewsAnotherJohn

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:03 - Dec 15 by trampie

They reckon that Marciano fought a lot of bums and the few World title fights he had some opponents were passed their best, Marciano fought Dr Jack Welsh rugby legend, Dr Jack just helping out his side not a serious amateur boxer like Marciano and the story is Dr Jack schooled Marciano, because it was American servicemen against our boys in St Athan any fight that was not stopped was given as a draw due to us being allies in the war, Marciano escaped with a draw.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 18:04]

Corroboration here:

https://www.606v2.com/t56672-dr-jack-matthews-rocky-marciano-s-little-known-wels
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:34 - Dec 15 with 5650 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:21 - Dec 15 by trampie

Dr Jack Matthews was said to be "a cross between a bulldozer and a brick wall”, surely he must have been a middleweight, Marciano was a small heavyweight and perhaps at that stage Marciano was not a heavyweight but you would have thought that Dr Jack would have been giving weight away to him.

Just seen it that Matthews thought he was a touch heavier than Marciano when they thought, I didn't know that Dr Jack trained the SAS, I knew about his glider exploits and being doctor to the Lions and our boxing board of control etc.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:57 - Dec 15 with 5660 viewsKilkennyjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:51 - Dec 15 by onehunglow

Interesting

Yes i did wonder myself …. but his size, boxing skills, and durability do suggest he is a genuine champ.

I am not sure someone 6ft odd and less than 16.5 stone would have a realistic chance.
Tyson Fury is huge.

Marciano was 5ft 10 and 14 stone.

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:01 - Dec 15 with 5628 viewstrampie

There was mess on the All Black captain after Dr Jack had tackled him, horrific injuries for NewZealand great, sternum, collarbone, ribs and face, never played again but he came back on the field (no subs) standing behind the backline and incredibly scored to win the match, different breed in those days, but that was it for him.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:04 - Dec 15 with 5619 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:57 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

Yes i did wonder myself …. but his size, boxing skills, and durability do suggest he is a genuine champ.

I am not sure someone 6ft odd and less than 16.5 stone would have a realistic chance.
Tyson Fury is huge.

Dr Jack Matthews was 14 stone when he fought Marciano and thought he was a slight touch heavier than him.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:14 - Dec 15 with 5630 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:21 - Dec 15 by trampie

Marciano was what 13 maybe 14 stone max he would have been obliterated if any these classy 18 stone guys were around in his era he would not even be in my top 20 let alone 10. his best wins were against washed up old men like Walcott and Louis and a 14 stone Ezzard Charles
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:21 - Dec 15 with 5616 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:57 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

Tyson Fury is huge.

A genuine champ in a very poor era Fury is way down on my list of top heavys. Heavyweight Boxing has been on a downward spiral ever since American Basketball became financially massive and all the big black athletes decided to go down that route that is why we now see very little black talent coming out of the states in regard to Heavyweight Boxing.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:24 - Dec 15 with 5589 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:14 - Dec 15 by shingle

Marciano was what 13 maybe 14 stone max he would have been obliterated if any these classy 18 stone guys were around in his era he would not even be in my top 20 let alone 10. his best wins were against washed up old men like Walcott and Louis and a 14 stone Ezzard Charles

Marciano could not beat Welsh rugby players in the ring, lucky for Marciano they did not go into boxing instead of rugby.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 20:11 - Dec 15 with 5593 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:24 - Dec 15 by trampie

Marciano could not beat Welsh rugby players in the ring, lucky for Marciano they did not go into boxing instead of rugby.

That was Dr Jack
Rocky was having fun

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 20:53 - Dec 15 with 5580 viewsbiggar

Will come up with a list asap but surprised Sonny Liston isn’t getting many mentions in a top 10?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024