Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Out of Contract 11:09 - Feb 13 with 7704 viewsderbyhoop

1 of the clickbait sites listed 11 players OOC in Summer.
It included 3 keepers, Begovic, Archer & Walsh
2 RBs, Kakay & Drewe.
More worryingly Field, Dunne, Willock and Armstrong

It would be good to know that club are on the ball with those they'd like to renew. I wouldn't expect full details as commercially sensitive but move in right direction are well overdue.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Out of Contract on 14:11 - Feb 14 with 1328 viewsrbee

Out of Contract on 18:27 - Feb 13 by dmm

He's a good player but I've not seen anything so far to suggest Cannon would cut it the PL.

Even if fully fit. I was wondering why Drewe was attracting so many negative comments on here but I see that he is 23 years old so by now should be an established full back somewhere in professional football.

Although I appreciate the importance of having a squad your players on the bench should be pressing the regular starting players for their shirt and I doubt Drewe will ever be doing that.
Out of Contract on 14:19 - Feb 14 with 1304 viewsTheChef

Out of Contract on 13:58 - Feb 14 by Northernr

One thing we have been very guilty of (Nico, Shodipo, Owens) is keeping people here deep into their 20s on interminable loan deals on the off chance they suddenly come good at 24 despite all evidence to the contrary. Like you say, v unlikely to happen, and wasting money we don't have.

Can't just be us, but it feels like we're the only club to rack and stack players in their early 20s who should have been released ages ago.

Clearly something wrong in the types of contracts we're offering these players (and I appreciate in the context of what other clubs offer).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Out of Contract on 15:19 - Feb 14 with 1164 viewskensalriser

One thing we have been very guilty of (Nico, Shodipo, Owens) is keeping people here deep into their 20s on interminable loan deals on the off chance they suddenly come good at 24 despite all evidence to the contrary. Like you say, v unlikely to happen, and wasting money we don't have.

We could probably come up with a fistful more examples in short order.

Don't late developers tend to be players racking up starts in non-league? They don't appear to be players who've already been at upper division clubs for years. Impossible to make up that lost competitive match experience once you're beyond your early 20s.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Out of Contract on 15:59 - Feb 14 with 1093 viewslassel

I always thought one of the oddest things that happened at the club was the ‘EDS’ experiment.

Perhaps you’ll tell us it was effectively the death throes of the Ferdinand vs Warburton battle but it all seemed a bit mental to suddenly decide we were going to try and be Brentford, run through kids (40+ per season from memory) like an ADHD kid in Toys R Us, being precisely zero to the first team and then scrap it all as soon as it started.

It must’ve been costing well over £1m a year in salaries for the conveyer belt of kids other clubs didn’t want which on paper doesn’t seem that much but right now would be game changing if Marti had it to spend.
Out of Contract on 16:36 - Feb 14 with 950 viewsNorthernr

Out of Contract on 15:59 - Feb 14 by lassel

I always thought one of the oddest things that happened at the club was the ‘EDS’ experiment.

Perhaps you’ll tell us it was effectively the death throes of the Ferdinand vs Warburton battle but it all seemed a bit mental to suddenly decide we were going to try and be Brentford, run through kids (40+ per season from memory) like an ADHD kid in Toys R Us, being precisely zero to the first team and then scrap it all as soon as it started.

It must’ve been costing well over £1m a year in salaries for the conveyer belt of kids other clubs didn’t want which on paper doesn’t seem that much but right now would be game changing if Marti had it to spend.

Because the split between Warburton and his coaches, and Ramsey/Hall and that side of the business, was by that point so deeply ingrained and bitter that they felt they had to launch a B Team to give some of those coaches/players something to do.
Out of Contract on 17:45 - Feb 14 with 851 views1JD

The other problem with racking and stacking older age groups, presumably based on the rather hopeful strategy that one or two are late developers (none of which ever occurred over the last 8 seasons under Ramsay and co) is it blocks the pathways of the younger talents coming through.

In all other academies the best talents are fast tracked through the age groups to either sink or swim, and in the latter case, accelerate development. The issue I’ve long had at QPR is that you know who the 1 or 2 talents from every age group are who might have a chance of making it to first team. So prioritise those. The rest are there to make up the numbers, sad but true. Yet we’ve long taken the rather noble view that anyone can potentially make it, and are giving equal opportunities to all, which has been ridiculous.

On a positive note, I’ve noted some changes in thinking at Academy level. For example, u18 graduates to the u21s was far more stringent (only 4 this year versus the usual 8-10), and releasing players was far more ruthless in the summer. No surprise then that vastly reduced u21 squad size (20 versus the usual 30-40), consisting of the best talents we have, is able to compete at the top end of the u21 league, rather than the bottom. Also have noted the fast tracking of promising talents, finally. Much needed on both counts and likely due to the changing of the guard as it simply was not working before.
Out of Contract on 18:25 - Feb 14 with 776 viewslassel

Out of Contract on 16:36 - Feb 14 by Northernr

Because the split between Warburton and his coaches, and Ramsey/Hall and that side of the business, was by that point so deeply ingrained and bitter that they felt they had to launch a B Team to give some of those coaches/players something to do.

Thanks North.

I wonder will the full details of Ramkilde ever come out - some things came out in Scandi press but I’m sure they never even scraped the surface.
Out of Contract on 18:37 - Feb 14 with 733 viewsBurnleyhoop

Out of Contract on 14:19 - Feb 14 by TheChef

Can't just be us, but it feels like we're the only club to rack and stack players in their early 20s who should have been released ages ago.

Clearly something wrong in the types of contracts we're offering these players (and I appreciate in the context of what other clubs offer).

With Ramsey gone, perhaps a sense of order and sound decision making will be the order of the day when it comes to reviewing the academy structure.

Performance targets and milestones should be set for every player, with a failure to meet them resulting in contract termination.

Personally, I would clear the decks of all the detritus and try and nail Hodge and Issacs down. Frittering money away on a well principled, but utterly failing pet project with a staff of hundreds is not viable in our current financial position.

I expect our new CEO to make radical and long overdue changes during the summer.
Login to get fewer ads

Out of Contract on 18:42 - Feb 14 with 702 viewscyprusmel

I wonder how long Isaac has left on his contract at Newcastle, The manager says he has no future at Newcastle.
Out of Contract on 23:37 - Feb 14 with 573 viewsNorthernr

But, no, yeh, do tell me whose contract you want to extend
Out of Contract on 23:43 - Feb 14 with 555 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Out of Contract on 17:45 - Feb 14 by 1JD

The other problem with racking and stacking older age groups, presumably based on the rather hopeful strategy that one or two are late developers (none of which ever occurred over the last 8 seasons under Ramsay and co) is it blocks the pathways of the younger talents coming through.

In all other academies the best talents are fast tracked through the age groups to either sink or swim, and in the latter case, accelerate development. The issue I’ve long had at QPR is that you know who the 1 or 2 talents from every age group are who might have a chance of making it to first team. So prioritise those. The rest are there to make up the numbers, sad but true. Yet we’ve long taken the rather noble view that anyone can potentially make it, and are giving equal opportunities to all, which has been ridiculous.

On a positive note, I’ve noted some changes in thinking at Academy level. For example, u18 graduates to the u21s was far more stringent (only 4 this year versus the usual 8-10), and releasing players was far more ruthless in the summer. No surprise then that vastly reduced u21 squad size (20 versus the usual 30-40), consisting of the best talents we have, is able to compete at the top end of the u21 league, rather than the bottom. Also have noted the fast tracking of promising talents, finally. Much needed on both counts and likely due to the changing of the guard as it simply was not working before.

Re. your last paragraph, 1JD - good to hear, thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Out of Contract on 23:47 - Feb 14 with 547 viewscolinallcars

Out of Contract on 18:42 - Feb 14 by cyprusmel

I wonder how long Isaac has left on his contract at Newcastle, The manager says he has no future at Newcastle.

If he signs for us he'll have no future at all. Although my local pub has a vacancy for a potman. Business is picking up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024