Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs in Ealing 19:57 - Mar 13 with 6049 viewshamptonhillhoop

Fellow Loftforworders. I'm going drinking with friends in Ealing on Easter Saturday. I haven't lived in Ealing since 2001, when I lived just off South Ealing Road. All my locals were The Castle, The New Inn, Red Lion etc. One of the people we're meeting is coming by train and has mobility issues, so I'm looking for good pub suggestions close to Ealing Broadway Station. I can only come up with the North Star, which my wife thinks is a bit rough. (I must take her in the White Horse one day). Any recommendations would be appreciated, ideally within a five minute walk. Cheers
[Post edited 13 Mar 19:58]
Pubs in Ealing on 12:05 - Mar 14 with 1563 viewsNorthantsHoop

This has got me thinking must do a trip down memory lane and visit some of these pubs again. First job was in West Ealing in 1981, liked going to the Drayton at lunchtimes, especially in Summer with massive beer garden. Coach and Horses on the Uxbridge Road was a regular Friday after work venue, bet that's probably gone. The Grange up at the Common was a lovely venue to take the girlfriend to. The South Ealing Road pubs were decent especially when I moved offices up to Ealing Broadway in the mid 1980s.
[Post edited 14 Mar 12:06]
Pubs in Ealing on 12:09 - Mar 14 with 1540 viewsJevlar

Pubs in Ealing on 10:04 - Mar 14 by guitarzan

Yes Wheatsheaf and Haven very good pubs.
A bit further away but Ryan’s, formerly Duffy near Northfields station is a QPR pub. Always a good atmosphere when showing QPR away on Sky

I play football with one of the owners, definitely a QPR pub, it's got a great Thai restaurant as well. Good prices also.
Pubs in Ealing on 12:32 - Mar 14 with 1507 viewsbermudabob

I live in Ealing, I can see the Red Lion opposite my house from my sofa. Of course the choice depends on what you are after and how impactful the mobility issues are.

Close to Ealing Broadway and easy step free access Brewdog next to the church is good with lots of good beer choice. Right next to it No17 is a more upmarket option, decent though if a good crowd is in.

Closet to the station the North Star is fine, decent beer although small steps on entrance if that is an issue anbd as another poster said normally band on a Saturday. Some decent beer as well.

Further affield Grove is decent. Kings arms is another good option just cut through the shopping centre from teh station, feels more like a simple pub. Has a pool table as well in the back room if that is your thing.

Enjoy
Pubs in Ealing on 13:12 - Mar 14 with 1464 viewsw7r

Pubs in Ealing on 10:04 - Mar 14 by Jevlar

Loving this thread. As a Hanwell resident - if you do end up venturing further. The Fox is a great boozer, fantastic beer garden.

I’m just waiting for new additions to the flat roofed pubs thread now - a personal fave.

As a fellow Hanwellian - agreed the Fox is a decent boozer. Have you tried The Dodo micro-pub on the Boston Road? Fantastic place if you're into proper beers.

Disappointed that the Kings Arms closed, I know it's under new owners - mate of mine scouted it out and wasn't impressed with the offering.
[Post edited 14 Mar 13:18]
Pubs in Ealing on 13:14 - Mar 14 with 1464 viewsw7r

Pubs in Ealing on 11:16 - Mar 14 by RBlock

Bought a house in Hanwell recently, moving in next month so keen on this thread!

If you head down to Northfields Avenue The Foresters is run by Harry, the old landlord of the Crown, so looking forward to reuniting with him. The Grosvenor is a nice backstreet pub as well near West Ealing - all the football and live sport.

On the Wheatsheaf, I used to really like that pub. Great screen for the football at the back and the roasts were excellent. Last time I went in February though the food was rubbish - the style of the roasts had changed, so you were getting a wafer thin slice of carvery meat rather than a big chunk of pork belly like before. A lot of the menu had changed, so I can only assume it's under new management or a new chef, but really disappointing.

Been in Hanwell 27 years this month - it's not a bad place to live.

Welcome & I hope you enjoy living there!
Pubs in Ealing on 13:28 - Mar 14 with 1433 viewsHanwellHoopster

Pubs in Ealing on 11:16 - Mar 14 by RBlock

Bought a house in Hanwell recently, moving in next month so keen on this thread!

If you head down to Northfields Avenue The Foresters is run by Harry, the old landlord of the Crown, so looking forward to reuniting with him. The Grosvenor is a nice backstreet pub as well near West Ealing - all the football and live sport.

On the Wheatsheaf, I used to really like that pub. Great screen for the football at the back and the roasts were excellent. Last time I went in February though the food was rubbish - the style of the roasts had changed, so you were getting a wafer thin slice of carvery meat rather than a big chunk of pork belly like before. A lot of the menu had changed, so I can only assume it's under new management or a new chef, but really disappointing.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

Welcome.

To answer OP - The Haven Arms is a proper QPR pub. Go there.

If you fancy something fancier, try No 17. Avoid the Brewdog.
Pubs in Ealing on 13:30 - Mar 14 with 1431 viewsHanwellHoopster

Pubs in Ealing on 13:12 - Mar 14 by w7r

As a fellow Hanwellian - agreed the Fox is a decent boozer. Have you tried The Dodo micro-pub on the Boston Road? Fantastic place if you're into proper beers.

Disappointed that the Kings Arms closed, I know it's under new owners - mate of mine scouted it out and wasn't impressed with the offering.

Apparently The King's Arms is being re-opened but will now serve Nepalese food. Looking forward to trying it.
Pubs in Ealing on 13:48 - Mar 14 with 1400 viewsw7r

Pubs in Ealing on 12:05 - Mar 14 by NorthantsHoop

This has got me thinking must do a trip down memory lane and visit some of these pubs again. First job was in West Ealing in 1981, liked going to the Drayton at lunchtimes, especially in Summer with massive beer garden. Coach and Horses on the Uxbridge Road was a regular Friday after work venue, bet that's probably gone. The Grange up at the Common was a lovely venue to take the girlfriend to. The South Ealing Road pubs were decent especially when I moved offices up to Ealing Broadway in the mid 1980s.
[Post edited 14 Mar 12:06]

Coach & Horses is still there - now called The Castlebar - doubt you'd recognise the old place. It's very popular though.
Login to get fewer ads

Pubs in Ealing on 13:59 - Mar 14 with 1373 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Interesting to hear your view on The Dodo.

When I'm back visiting Ma Planet in North Greenford, there's absolutely fcuk all around that's worth visiting, especially since Fullers pulled the rug from under the Black Horse. However, someone suggested this place a while back, said the beers were cracking. Good to have it verified.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Pubs in Ealing on 14:08 - Mar 14 with 1353 viewsw7r

Pubs in Ealing on 13:59 - Mar 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Interesting to hear your view on The Dodo.

When I'm back visiting Ma Planet in North Greenford, there's absolutely fcuk all around that's worth visiting, especially since Fullers pulled the rug from under the Black Horse. However, someone suggested this place a while back, said the beers were cracking. Good to have it verified.

If you're into proper beers it's a great place to drink. No TV's, all about the beers and chatting. The owner is a lovely, enthusiastic beer nerd named Lucy. They have simple food, often do cheese and biscuits, other snacks - constantly changing the beers so loads of choice.

It's very popular, can get busy at the weekends - well worth a visit if you're in the area.

https://www.thedodomicropub.com/
[Post edited 14 Mar 14:10]
Pubs in Ealing on 14:21 - Mar 14 with 1326 viewsBklynRanger

Pubs in Ealing on 10:04 - Mar 14 by Jevlar

Loving this thread. As a Hanwell resident - if you do end up venturing further. The Fox is a great boozer, fantastic beer garden.

I’m just waiting for new additions to the flat roofed pubs thread now - a personal fave.

I always think The Fox and that area by the canal is one of those parts of London where looking at it you'd never believe you were in a big city. Which is nice.

The Duke of Kent is a nice big old pub, if you're prepared to take a quick cab from the station.
Pubs in Ealing on 17:02 - Mar 14 with 1214 viewsRBlock

Cheers for the welcome all. Haven't tried the Dodo, but I'm only a stones throw so will have to pop in. You've also got the Owl and the Pussycat on Northfields Ave as well for micropubs, with a great cheese deli next door as well.

Definitely avoiding the Brewdog, although I do want to get well acquianted with the Guinness in O'Briens.
[Post edited 14 Mar 17:37]
Pubs in Ealing on 17:21 - Mar 14 with 1191 viewsqpr_1968

don't know what pubs are left in ealing but back in the 80's i used the north star, the vic, and i could swear i used a pub called the 3 pigeons.

along the road where ealing film studios are or were, the castle, i'm sure there was a red lion across the road.

but my favourite pub was a bit further down towards south ealing called the rose and crown.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Pubs in Ealing on 17:26 - Mar 14 with 1173 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Pubs in Ealing on 09:12 - Mar 14 by colinallcars

C&S, Dove, Salutation, Blue Boat, Queens Head, Latymers, Distillers, Stonemasons, Hand & Flower, Cross Keys, Andover.
What a borough !

Plus my personal favourite, The Old Ship. The stretch of river from there to Hammersmith Bridge. Now that's a pub crawl and a half.
Pubs in Ealing on 17:27 - Mar 14 with 1172 viewscolinallcars

“Englishmen, empty your hearts. If you lose your inns you will have lost the last of England”
Hilaire Belloc.
Pubs in Ealing on 17:34 - Mar 14 with 1150 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Pubs in Ealing on 09:32 - Mar 14 by w7r

Kings Arms, tucked away behind the Ealing Broadway centre in The Grove, proper pub.

Price of a pint is a shilling too willing for my liking but a little gem nonetheless.
Pubs in Ealing on 17:40 - Mar 14 with 1150 viewsRBlock

Pubs in Ealing on 17:21 - Mar 14 by qpr_1968

don't know what pubs are left in ealing but back in the 80's i used the north star, the vic, and i could swear i used a pub called the 3 pigeons.

along the road where ealing film studios are or were, the castle, i'm sure there was a red lion across the road.

but my favourite pub was a bit further down towards south ealing called the rose and crown.

Rose and Crown is another cracking little pub. Cosy inside, big garden out the back, and in a nice secluded bit of South Ealing. Red Lion is nice as well - was last there during COVID when it was serving big takeaway 2 pint bottles of beer to drink in Walpole park
Pubs in Ealing on 17:45 - Mar 14 with 1137 viewsqpr_1968

Pubs in Ealing on 17:40 - Mar 14 by RBlock

Rose and Crown is another cracking little pub. Cosy inside, big garden out the back, and in a nice secluded bit of South Ealing. Red Lion is nice as well - was last there during COVID when it was serving big takeaway 2 pint bottles of beer to drink in Walpole park

yes walpole park sat behind the film studios.

out of all the pubs mentioned, i would plum for the rose and crown, i know its a bit further down the road, and tucked well behind some houses and if i'm right, st marys church.
your on to a winner.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Pubs in Ealing on 18:18 - Mar 14 with 1089 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Pubs in Ealing on 09:32 - Mar 14 by w7r

Kings Arms, tucked away behind the Ealing Broadway centre in The Grove, proper pub.

Second the King's Arms, as it's within your 5 minute walk radius from EB station. The Wheatsheaf is lovely too.
South Ealing is road is still blessed with many glorious pubs - if you decide to hop on the 65 bus right outside the station you're spoilt for choice: Red Lion, Castle Inn, New Inn (refurbished recently, a bit gastro now) and my personal favourite the Rose & Crown, tucked away behing St Mary's church, but conveniently only a minute from where the bus stops outside the church,
Pubs in Ealing on 18:43 - Mar 14 with 1057 viewsqueensparker

Pubs in Ealing on 18:18 - Mar 14 by Orthodox_Hoop

Second the King's Arms, as it's within your 5 minute walk radius from EB station. The Wheatsheaf is lovely too.
South Ealing is road is still blessed with many glorious pubs - if you decide to hop on the 65 bus right outside the station you're spoilt for choice: Red Lion, Castle Inn, New Inn (refurbished recently, a bit gastro now) and my personal favourite the Rose & Crown, tucked away behing St Mary's church, but conveniently only a minute from where the bus stops outside the church,

Many happy memories of the Rose and Crown, when I was a nipper my dad would take me shopping in South Ealing Road for groceries and sweets and then we’d nip into that massive beer garden on the way home. Late 70s. My word where has the time gone
Pubs in Ealing on 11:07 - Mar 15 with 817 viewsdaveB

Is the Spinning Wheel still around in Northfield
Had many a good night in there
Pubs in Ealing on 11:15 - Mar 15 with 807 viewshamptonhillhoop

Cheers all. We seem to have settled on The Grove as it is near to a restaurant we are going to after. Is that the one that used to be The Queen Vic? I may try and drag them a bit further down the road to The Red Lion or The Rose and Crown. They're getting the 65 from the station so all good
Pubs in Ealing on 11:23 - Mar 15 with 798 viewsJevlar

Pubs in Ealing on 11:07 - Mar 15 by daveB

Is the Spinning Wheel still around in Northfield
Had many a good night in there

Long gone, I’m afraid. Now a Sainsbury’s local!
Pubs in Ealing on 11:48 - Mar 15 with 765 viewsActonExile

The Shanakee, it's about 30 yards from the front of the station, no food though but seating inside and out, weather permitting.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Pubs in Ealing on 12:09 - Mar 15 with 734 viewsCateLeBonR

Pubs in Ealing on 11:15 - Mar 15 by hamptonhillhoop

Cheers all. We seem to have settled on The Grove as it is near to a restaurant we are going to after. Is that the one that used to be The Queen Vic? I may try and drag them a bit further down the road to The Red Lion or The Rose and Crown. They're getting the 65 from the station so all good

Yes used to be the Queen Vic years ago and Finnigans Wake after that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024