Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Athens? 19:30 - Apr 1 with 777 viewsmajorraglan

I’m off to Athens in the next couple of months and was wondering if anyone had been there and if they had suggestions and recommendations. I intend visiting the Acropolis but was wondering if anyone had any other tips or suggestions. TVM.
Anyone been to Athens? on 15:37 - Apr 2 with 699 viewshowenjack

Yes, It was a long time ago . The acropolis was well worth a visit the highest point of Athens. It's mostly intact - the roof was only destroyed in the 1800's by the Turks who used it to store munitions . The roof was accidentally blown off by an explosion . Athens is huge and the buildings are generally very close together so in Summer it can get very hot -pollution was a problem back then . I don't know if it's as bad as it was then.. Visit Piraeus the port area if you can as you can get a boat to any of the islands quite cheaply . I caught one to Crete and spent a lot of time exploring the island . Lots of history and people very friendly .
Athens I would say can be a little claustrophobic and bustling long term but if you like the relaxed way of doing things visit one of the islands.
Anyone been to Athens? on 15:46 - Apr 2 with 697 viewspencoedjack

Anyone been to Athens? on 15:37 - Apr 2 by howenjack

Yes, It was a long time ago . The acropolis was well worth a visit the highest point of Athens. It's mostly intact - the roof was only destroyed in the 1800's by the Turks who used it to store munitions . The roof was accidentally blown off by an explosion . Athens is huge and the buildings are generally very close together so in Summer it can get very hot -pollution was a problem back then . I don't know if it's as bad as it was then.. Visit Piraeus the port area if you can as you can get a boat to any of the islands quite cheaply . I caught one to Crete and spent a lot of time exploring the island . Lots of history and people very friendly .
Athens I would say can be a little claustrophobic and bustling long term but if you like the relaxed way of doing things visit one of the islands.

I concur with Piraeus.

Having spent Monday to Thursday working out there for a few months I would say the centre is very run down & graffiti covers the walls of many beautiful buildings.

Make sure you go up to the Acropolis early as it gets bloody hot although if you are visiting in a few weeks might not be so bad.

Enjoy.
Anyone been to Athens? on 18:17 - Apr 2 with 660 viewsshingle

If you have a centrally located hotel you can easily stroll around the must sees, there are so many great sites to see, going on a guided tour is well worthwhile as well and not to expensive, try to do the Acropolis as early as possible as the crowds there can be mental Google Athens attractions there are so many so make yourself a list of what you fancy doing i went to the Olympic stadium and run around the track lol i found Athens to be a great place to visit and the food is great as well.
Anyone been to Athens? on 18:24 - Apr 2 with 651 viewsSullutaCreturned

Anyone been to Athens? on 18:17 - Apr 2 by shingle

If you have a centrally located hotel you can easily stroll around the must sees, there are so many great sites to see, going on a guided tour is well worthwhile as well and not to expensive, try to do the Acropolis as early as possible as the crowds there can be mental Google Athens attractions there are so many so make yourself a list of what you fancy doing i went to the Olympic stadium and run around the track lol i found Athens to be a great place to visit and the food is great as well.

The food...I tried Greek food in this country and it was disgusting. When I tried it ooke by a local out in Greece it was superb. I loved it.

I've been told the driving in Athens is a bit crazy!
Anyone been to Athens? on 18:30 - Apr 2 with 647 viewsangryjack

Anyone been to Athens? on 18:24 - Apr 2 by SullutaCreturned

The food...I tried Greek food in this country and it was disgusting. When I tried it ooke by a local out in Greece it was superb. I loved it.

I've been told the driving in Athens is a bit crazy!

Got locked up there when went watch swans panathanaikos..wouldn't recommend locals not friendly
Anyone been to Athens? on 18:35 - Apr 2 with 643 viewsSullutaCreturned

Anyone been to Athens? on 18:30 - Apr 2 by angryjack

Got locked up there when went watch swans panathanaikos..wouldn't recommend locals not friendly

They are fine with tourists just not with football fans. The Greeks and Turrks are very hot headed.
Anyone been to Athens? on 20:50 - Apr 2 with 607 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Anyone been to Athens? on 15:37 - Apr 2 by howenjack

Do your research on the ferry options if you go to some islands. I went by foot a few years ago and found out that some passenger hydrofoils were very much quicker for not much money, thanks to a tip from a bloke who sat next to me on a bus out of Athens

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Anyone been to Athens? on 23:41 - Apr 2 with 573 viewshowenjack

Anyone been to Athens? on 20:50 - Apr 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Do your research on the ferry options if you go to some islands. I went by foot a few years ago and found out that some passenger hydrofoils were very much quicker for not much money, thanks to a tip from a bloke who sat next to me on a bus out of Athens

Dont worry I went for the cheapest option . No cabin , slept on the wooden deck under the stars . It was July so hottest time of the year.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Athens? on 09:44 - Apr 3 with 537 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Anyone been to Athens? on 23:41 - Apr 2 by howenjack

Dont worry I went for the cheapest option . No cabin , slept on the wooden deck under the stars . It was July so hottest time of the year.

Did that when I was young all the way to Brindisi in August, woke up in the night freezing!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Anyone been to Athens? on 14:25 - Apr 3 with 496 viewshowenjack

Anyone been to Athens? on 09:44 - Apr 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

Did that when I was young all the way to Brindisi in August, woke up in the night freezing!

I had quite a good sleep , was warm enough the only slight drawback was the small vibration of the diesel engines through the deck .
Anyone been to Athens? on 19:27 - Apr 3 with 453 views1983

Go to the flea market/ antique shops area some brilliant finds there all kinds bumff from the 1920's up to the 1980's and some great restaurants

Anyone been to Athens? on 10:00 - Apr 4 with 399 viewsKeithHaynes

Band played there in a district of the city that basically runs itself.
Exarcheia.

Worth a visit to see how the community works and for the vibrant shops and people. Nit dangerous at all, very safe, well, we made it in and out 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Anyone been to Athens? on 15:28 - Apr 4 with 357 viewshowenjack

The late 70's early 80's Greece was brilliant for a holiday . Everything was so cheap the drachma was the currency not the Euro . You could eat souvlaki and drink retsina and ouzo to your heart's content and still have money left at the end of it.
Anyone been to Athens? on 21:10 - Apr 4 with 337 viewsKeithHaynes

Anyone been to Athens? on 15:28 - Apr 4 by howenjack

The late 70's early 80's Greece was brilliant for a holiday . Everything was so cheap the drachma was the currency not the Euro . You could eat souvlaki and drink retsina and ouzo to your heart's content and still have money left at the end of it.

Retsina is petrol 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Anyone been to Athens? on 21:42 - Apr 4 with 324 viewsbuilthjack

Don’t stand next to the men dressed as gladiators at the old Olympic Games site.
They get you to have a photo with them then demand 10 euros.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024